Assetto Corsa vs. PCars 2 vs GTS: Physics, FFB

• Thread starter Fredzy
  • 361 comments
United States
PA
FredzyN2
I was going to post something in a thread on the PC2 forums, but figured it could light an ugly fire. I don't plan on buying PC2 unless the consensus among certain AC regulars is that they've improved physics and FFB to feel good vs. AC. That's why I'm putting this here. I actually want AC-biased folks' opinions because I'm one of them. Just be honest and open minded.

I understand that there is plenty of heat left in the PCars vs. AC debate, and that it boils down to personal preference. We should assume, however, that PC2 will be a totally different animal than PCars. I haven't held any special hope for it. Discussion should be valid for any platform.

Great idea Fredzy 👍. I'm looking forward to hearing honest opinions on this topic. I know Scaff likes both Pcars & AC and will be interested to know his thoughts and anyone else for that matter. The more the merrier!!!

I was going to post something in a thread on the PC2 forums, but figured it could light an ugly fire. I don't plan on buying PC2 unless the consensus among certain AC regulars is that they've improved physics and FFB to feel good vs. AC. That's why I'm putting this here. I actually want AC-biased folks' opinions because I'm one of them. Just be honest and open minded.

I understand that there is plenty of heat left in the PCars vs. AC debate, and that it boils down to personal preference. We should assume, however, that PC2 will be a totally different animal than PCars. I haven't held any special hope for it. Discussion should be valid for any platform.
From what i've read from people who's views I respect, Pcars2 is improved. That's good but it may not be what AC or RF2 players are looking for, just improved.

Having said that, what gets on my tits is the marketing. I was hearing 2 months ago that Pcars2 was like RF2, very close. Now when there have been a couple of videos stating it is not the SIM SMS are claiming ( physics wise) sms come out and say "oh old media build" etc etc. But I thought it was close to RR2 months ago?

I don't like feeling like I'm being taken for a sucker. Just give it to me straight, Pcars2 doesn't have to have the most realistic physics ever. If you sell it to me as that though, chances are I'm not gonna be impressed if it doesn't meet the claims.

I am an avid AC fan all the way. Nothing on consoles compare to the driving experience that AC offers imo. Or so I thought. I about gave up on Pcars because I could never get anywhere near the feel of AC....until recently. After 2 years of scouring forums, and trying settings for my G29, I finally found a setup formula that was good enough for me to compare closely with AC. Still not as good, but very close. For this reason, I plan on purchasing Pcars2. With the more simplified ffb presets, options to fine tune them if you desire, and the new tire model, my hope is that Pcars2 physics will get us even closer to that "feel" that AC does so well. I will certainly post my opinions and findings once I've had a chance to spend some time with the new title.

From what i've read from people who's views I respect, Pcars2 is improved. That's good but it may not be what AC or RF2 players are looking for, just improved.

Having said that, what gets on my tits is the marketing. I was hearing 2 months ago that Pcars2 was like RF2, very close. Now when there have been a couple of videos stating it is not the SIM SMS are claiming ( physics wise) sms come out and say "oh old media build" etc etc. But I thought it was close to RR2 months ago?

I don't like feeling like I'm being taken for a sucker. Just give it to me straight, Pcars2 doesn't have to have the most realistic physics ever. If you sell it to me as that though, chances are I'm not gonna be impressed if it doesn't meet the claims.
I get a pretty bad vibe from the marketing side of PCars 2 in the same way. I would honestly be OK with it being a little less "sim" as long as it was more predictable/consistent.

To @llNovall 's point, I feel like there was more I could have done to solve my problems in PCars but I just couldn't muster the desire.

This year I raced/played a couple of hundred hours AC. First on PS4 and recently switched to PC. Once PCars 2 lands next week on my PC I will be able to do a real life comparison myself and I will absolutely do it with a 'neutral point of view'. Each sim has its pros/cons we all know that. This topic is about the FFB/Physics car-track behavior so will only pay attention to that to answer in this thread.

Well, I've played a lot of hours in the first Pcars and also in Assetto.
About assetto, well, like everyone says, just the benchmark in physics and FFB on console right now.

Pcars was very hard to understand and set right the FFB, finally in the last year I've achieved a good feeling.

Sure thing also that both games has a complete different focus even if they are both labeled as "Racing sims"

I'm quite disappointed with the support and contents / options of assetto in console and more compared with the PC version, but still like to mount my wheel to simply hotlapping around the tracks with it.

I also think that mostly we fall into the error comparing one sim against other.. First we should compare with the game launched before from the same saga to see the real improvement (or not)

Seems that Pcars 2 did some good improvement in physics, FFB, controller implementation compared with the first one....lets see on 22th September what's true about that.

Once compared with pcars 1... Then it will be good to see on what point the Pcars 2 game sits compared with assetto corsa and other sims...

I don't think and expect that physics and FFB will be equalled to AC, but will be very pleased if the sensation approaches kunos game.

No need for self-censorship. This thread should absolutely be in Pcars2 forum. Looking forward the comparison anyway.

I'm quite disappointed with the support and contents / options of assetto in console and more compared with the PC version

Is there much difference between the two versions now? After this week's update the console versions seem to be basically on par with the PC version, you have pretty much all the same content (minus the drag strip and Trento which aren't really used on PC anyway) and I think the only real options you're missing are some of the on-screen widgets and maybe a couple options for online. Seems like console players have this notion that AC is some feature-complete ultimate racing sim on the PC and that's pretty far from the truth. What you have now seems to be pretty much just like what we have on PC, a hot lapping sim that you can manage to fashion some races with as long as you don't want a lot of bells and whistles and eye-candy.

Is there much difference between the two versions now? After this week's update the console versions seem to be basically on par with the PC version, you have pretty much all the same content (minus the drag strip and Trento which aren't really used on PC anyway) and I think the only real options you're missing are some of the on-screen widgets and maybe a couple options for online. Seems like console players have this notion that AC is some feature-complete ultimate racing sim on the PC and that's pretty far from the truth. What you have now seems to be pretty much just like what we have on PC, a hot lapping sim that you can manage to fashion some races with as long as you don't want a lot of bells and whistles and eye-candy.
Off the top of my head:

- proper wheel/pedals calibration/configuration menu (deadzones, etc.);
- photomode;
- studio view of the cars/liveries;
- HP/Torque graphs and descriptions for each car missing;
- full race replays;
- no button box support.

Off the top of my head:

- proper wheel/pedals calibration/configuration menu (deadzones, etc.);
- photomode;
- studio view of the cars/liveries;
- HP/Torque graphs and descriptions for each car missing;
- full race replays;
- no button box support.

1. There's no deadzone options on the PC either. There is a calibration wizard, but maybe that's not necessary on consoles? I don't remember having those options in Gran Turismo. As long as the wheels work, which they seem to, not sure why this is an issue.
2. It's basically useless on PC so no real loss there.
3. Never used it before, not even sure what the point is if I'm honest.
4. Never used these either
5. Not ideal, but the replay system is kinda screwy on PC too and it's not uncommon to not capture the full replay on longer races.
6. Do any console games support button boxes? If they do, how many console players have them? I'm guessing not many. I have a button box but I rarely use it for AC, I have TC/ABS/Turbo adjustments mapped to it but the only one I ever really adjust is TC. So probably not a big loss there.

So as you can see, at least compared to this PC user you guys are pretty much getting the same exact experience I am, and most of the issues you listed don't really affect game-play anyway. :)

Hi well...

-The HUD apps like you said, we don't have quite nothing... Not delta time, basically only tyre app and damage app.

-UDP Streaming not available on Xbox One and on PS4 less than basic, not even tyre degradation...

No Setup chec system
No power graphs and car description
No pedal calibration
No min force and per car gain FFB setting
No laptime registration with car/track combo
No BoP system in Championships
No fixed Setup option in online.
No timed race option
No false starts and drive trough penalty
No showroom
No online replays
No photomode
And like you mentioned, no trento bodonne, no drag mode/stripes.

And sure i miss some stuff more...

1. There's no deadzone options on the PC either. There is a calibration wizard, but maybe that's not necessary on consoles? I don't remember having those options in Gran Turismo. As long as the wheels work, which they seem to, not sure why this is an issue.
2. It's basically useless on PC so no real loss there.
3. Never used it before, not even sure what the point is if I'm honest.
4. Never used these either
5. Not ideal, but the replay system is kinda screwy on PC too and it's not uncommon to not capture the full replay on longer races.
6. Do any console games support button boxes? If they do, how many console players have them? I'm guessing not many. I have a button box but I rarely use it for AC, I have TC/ABS/Turbo adjustments mapped to it but the only one I ever really adjust is TC. So probably not a big loss there.

So as you can see, at least compared to this PC user you guys are pretty much getting the same exact experience I am, and most of the issues you listed don't really affect game-play anyway. :)
1. It was once pointed out to me that I should configure something on my clutch pedal (to avoid some mis-shifting I was experiencing). I think that persion mentioned "deadzone", but maybe I'm wrong. To the point, a proper calibration would be welcome, yes. Even if just for the braking pedal.

2. We have to grab screenshots from the replays, ffs. As basic as it is, I'm sure you have a free camera (and maybe you can select the focus point, focal length (FOV) and depth of field). I want variety in my shots.

3, 4. Come on, just because you don't use it, really?

5. We only have 2 minutes... not even a lap sometimes.

6. Project Cars does. No need for a proper "button box". A small, cheap numeric key pad will do, which I can then assign the button to what I want.

Hi well...

-The HUD apps like you said, we don't have quite nothing... Not delta time, basically only tyre app and damage app.

-UDP Streaming not available on Xbox One and on PS4 less than basic, not even tyre degradation...

No Setup chec system
No power graphs and car description
No pedal calibration
No min force and per car gain FFB setting
No laptime registration with car/track combo
No BoP system in Championships
No fixed Setup option in online.
No timed race option
No false starts and drive trough penalty
No showroom
No online replays
No photomode
And like you mentioned, no trento bodonne, no drag mode/stripes.

And sure i miss some stuff more...

Like I said, almost all of that is stuff I never use or wouldn't miss if it was absent on PC, but that's just me. And even if you guys did have all that stuff it wouldn't magically transform the game into the ultimate sim racer. It still wouldn't have formation laps, or rolling starts, or manual pit lane limiter, or a functional flag system, or a safety car, or animated marshals, or multi-class classifications, or parts falling of the car, or a useable penalty system, or forced pitstops for AI, and those are the things it really needs IMO.

1. It was once pointed out to me that I should configure something on my clutch pedal (to avoid some mis-shifting I was experiencing). I think that persion mentioned "deadzone", but maybe I'm wrong. To the point, a proper calibration would be welcome, yes. Even if just for the braking pedal.

2. We have to grab screenshots from the replays, ffs. As basic as it is, I'm sure you have a free camera (and maybe you can select the focus point, focal length (FOV) and depth of field). I want variety in my shots.

3, 4. Come on, just because you don't use it, really?

5. We only have 2 minutes... not even a lap sometimes.

6. Project Cars does. No need for a proper "button box". A small, cheap numeric key pad will do, which I can then assign the button to what I want.

1. There are no deadzone options on the PC, and no real options for the clutch other than mapping it. You calibrate your brakes by fully pressing the pedal before you go on track, just like on the PC.

2. The photomode on PC is atrocious and extremely complicated, probably not much better than grabbing a screenshot IMO.

3, 4. I guess the HP/torque graphs could be useful but I've never had a need for them and I get by fine. Still don't understand the point of the showroom though, not something that should have a dramatic impact on enjoyment of the game.

5. That's an issue, but still doesn't have an effect on actual gameplay.

6. Probably a minor inconvenience but not something that should be much of an issue once they get button mapping working properly.

Just my opinions of course, I just really think that if you guys played the PC version you'd be pretty shocked that it's not nearly as good or complete as some console players seem to think. It's really not that much different than what you guys have now and almost all of the things you guys have listed have no real impact on actual gameplay or are things that aren't often/ever used by PC players, and even if you had all of these things it wouldn't fix most of the issues with the game.

EDIT: I'm not trying to argue with you guys, I'm just saying you're not missing as much as you think and most of the things you're missing aren't that big of a deal or wouldn't have a major impact on gameplay.

Last edited:
Of course a thread about PCars vs. AC turns into a heated AC vs. AC discussion :lol:
No need for self-censorship. This thread should absolutely be in Pcars2 forum. Looking forward the comparison anyway.
I put this here because I'm looking for AC regulars' opinions first and foremost. I could have been more honest with my intentions if I created a thread titled "Hey [insert names of GTP AC regulars here] tell me if you think PC2 is any good" but I think this format would be more valuable to AC fans who are weary of trying PC2.

That's like 16 people but yea.

I cannot comment on Project CARS physics. However, the Project CARS 2 the WIP videos suffer from something that also tampered my interest in its predecessor. I'm talking about the feeling of being inside a car which convincingly interacts with the surrounding world. In my opinion AC captures the sensation of driving to near perfection, and I'm saying this without being completely fascinated by all aspects of its physics.

Is there much difference between the two versions now?

Well, the difference in support @Donnced mentioned makes a big difference. I'd estimate that 85% of the problems isolated to the console versions haven't been fixed. Most of the issues may not be game-breaking, but still pretty annoying when you know how the PC version has been hot fixed left and right. While consoles also benefit from getting most of these fixes ported eventually, console players are definitely stuck with glaring issues Kunos hasn't done anything to recognize. They don't even seem interested in hearing our feedback, redirecting players to the one-way street being 505 Games.

I'd agree that the remaining differences between platforms aren't all that big feature-wise. Most of the things listed above are things I would like to see included, but there are hardly any differences left I cannot live without. At least not until September 19th. :lol:

EDIT: I'm not trying to argue with you guys, I'm just saying you're not missing as much as you think and most of the things you're missing aren't that big of a deal or wouldn't have a major impact on gameplay.
I know you're not and I also had to write my previous posts in a rush, so they might have come out a bit blunt.

Truth is, some console users expected the same game as the PC version and that did not happen.

In the end, the things listed aren't that important for the driving experience and it may be foolish to argue over them, but the whole thing does leave a feeling that we've got an incomplete version and that we're pretty much secondary to Kunos. The lack of support (communication) doesn't help, either.

Speaking of not helping, hearing "we don't use this" or "we don't understand the importance" can also have the opposite effect of what you were expecting. :P

You can if you skip GT Sport. :sly:

giphy.gif

Can't afford both sadly with GTS around the corner.
Surely you can pick up AC for next to nothing second hand? But if I had to choose one I'd say PCars 2. There's more of a game in there. AC has better physics and ffb but if that was what you were primarily concerned with you wouldn't touch GTS as that's inferior to both so I take it gameplay is more important. AC is great if it's the driving experience you are looking for or have a group of people you regularly play online with. PCars 2 will have a have better career mode than either AC or GTS.

but still pretty annoying when you know how the PC version has been hot fixed left and right.

That's going to be the case with all console games though thanks to MS/Sony approval requirements.

At least not until September 19th 22nd. :lol:

FTFY. :D

Truth is, some console users expected the same game as the PC version and that did not happen.

You have pretty much the same version now, for all intents and purposes, but I somehow feel like the disappointment will continue. And even if AC had released on consoles in the exact same form as on PC the amount of complaints would not have been that different because a lot of the complaints are the same complaints PC players have been pounding on for years. PC racing is a very different world from console racing, a world free of most of the things console players want/expect from a game, so getting a proper PC sim on consoles is always going to lead to disappointment.

Speaking of not helping, hearing "we don't use this" or "we don't understand the importance" can also have the opposite effect of what you were expecting. :P

Well, I was just trying to show that a lot of the things you're missing are things that aren't an issue to some PC players, or aren't even used, and that the gameplay experience you now have is basically the same as the experience on PC. So now you're at the same level of disappointment as a lot of us. :D

Surely you can pick up AC for next to nothing second hand? But if I had to choose one I'd say PCars 2. There's more of a game in there. AC has better physics and ffb but if that was what you were primarily concerned with you wouldn't touch GTS as that's inferior to both so I take it gameplay is more important. AC is great if it's the driving experience you are looking for or have a group of people you regularly play online with. PCars 2 will have a have better career mode than either AC or GTS.

Yeah I'm searching for second hand but hopefully a PSN sale could come up so I can support the dev.

AC is often in the sale, just wait until then if you can't afford it yet. Pcars2 will be a better game.

I've played the first PCARS extensively so AC should feel fresher but I think I'll have a better time with PCARS 2 as well.

Latest Posts

Back