Aston Martin & Red Bull Racing to build a new hypercar, due in 2018

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by R1600Turbo, Mar 17, 2016.

1. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

gt6champnk69 likes this.
  2. aarror

aarror

It's not a deal that makes a whole lot of sense to me. You'll never see an Aston Martin owner get out of his/her car and chug a Red Bull. The two brands just aren't very compatible with one another.

Besides, I'm pretty sure there were articles stating they were "poised to" sign a deal with Force India last year too. I'll believe it when I see it.

3. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

The articles were saying they were poised to sign with Force India, because they were actually poised to sign with them before it broke down at the end.

4. aarror

aarror

Which is exactly my point. Until pen is put to paper, this is all just speculation.

5. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Well according to the link we'll know soon.

6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I suspect that the flamethrower in Daniel Craig's Aston Martin used Red Bull for fuel ...

7. GTracer38

GTracer38

8. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I'm struggling to see the long-term benefits for either party here.

9. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

The company cars would be better. Can't think of much else.

GTboyz and catamount39 like this.
  10. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Say that this were true, what exactly would Aston Martin have to offer in this technical partnership? I hear that Tag Hauer apparently helps Red Bull with diagnostics for this season.

11. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It's definitely true - all parties have confirmed it.

I can only imagine that they would look to become a naming-rights sponsor or the like when Red Bull end their Renault partnership.

I doubt there's much that they can do which Red Bull don't already do themselves. It strikes me as one of those things that sounds impressive but isn't really anything but garnishing the relationship in the media.

12. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

The Aston Martin red bull deal has been known for ages? Neweys been designing them a new hyper car since the middle of last year.

The Stig Farmer likes this.
  13. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

At the time, it was a separate project.

14. [Nor]MclarenF1

[Nor]MclarenF1

Aston Martin does have a deal with Mercedes to build their road car engines. Could they manage to sneak a Merc PU into a Red Bull under the Aston Martin name? I know, they'll need the permission of Toto & friends, which they didn't get last time they came asking.

15. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

It wasn't really but hey ho

They don't only the V8s the V12s including the new turbo V12 are astons own.

16. twitcher

twitcher

Pretty sure all this AM / RB talk needs its own thread guys!

JAonF1 is reporting the same thing, so it's not just a rumor off motorsport.com.

Personally, I think it's an awesome project with some very ambitious goals. If they can be successful in being faster than an F1 car, it's a pretty good slap in the face to the rule makers in F1 - that they are no longer the fastest cars in the world, and get beat by a road car no less.

I'm guessing it'll have at least 2000hp, blown everything, with a triple defuser :p. Perhaps even be a fan car like the RBX concepts in Gran Turismo. I wish them all the best :tup:

17. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

Some interesting news about a collaboration between Aston Martin and the Red Bull F1 team to build a new extreme hypercar, codenamed AM-RB 001 which will go on sale in 2018

[​IMG]
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/aston-...-adrian-newey-exclusive-on-the-2m-f1-road-car
    http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/aston-martin-partners-red-bull-racing-newey-designs-hypercar

I'm skeptical on the claims Aston are making about how fast they say it's likely to be, but I'm intrigued to see what they come up with. Perhaps a road-legal extreme version of the DP-100 Vision GT car?

What do you guys think? Discuss.

ProjectF and MarchingSaint like this.
  18. GTracer38

GTracer38

I would have thought it would be a beefed up Vulcan with a hybrid system and a completely new body. But this seems to be a new from the ground up car.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes though!

19. JC_Dude

JC_Dude

This car is supposed to be faster than F1 cars. Really excited to see this.

20. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Do you have any proof of that? How do you know that Aston Martin didn't simply hire Newey independently and their experiences working with him convinced them that partnering with the team would be a worthwhile investment?

Red Bull say no. For now, it's just about getting the Aston Martin name into the sport. You'll notice that the Aston Martin branding is nowhere near as extensive as the Infiniti logos were last year.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first step in Mateschitz's exit strategy, gradually selling the team piece by piece.

21. mustafur

mustafur

It actually mentions that they have been working together for several months as 'Two companies' in this article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/aston-...-adrian-newey-exclusive-on-the-2m-f1-road-car

22. GTboyz

GTboyz

What kind of design is that ? I can't see anything resembling a hypercar lol

23. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

That's not the final design for the car.

24. GTboyz

GTboyz

I know.

It's just that the basic scratch doesn't even resembles a car imo. Usually, AM design scratch gave us a sneak peek that resembles how the car would look like. I think it was the design scratch of the DB10 that showed the basic look of what they're intended to do.

25. Nessy

Nessy

So long as it's not as fugly as the Vulcan, i can say i'm quite looking forward to it.

26. Robin

Robin Premium

Yeah, since when does a squiggle pass as even a teaser image! Laziest effort I have ever seen.

GTboyz likes this.
  27. NFSCARBON1

NFSCARBON1

Perhaps it'll be a hybrid of the DP-100 and the red bull X design? With adjustable suspension it could utilise ground effects on track giving it enormous grip and on the street rise up to clear potholes and speed bumps?
    Only way I can see any road car getting anywhere near F1 levels of performance.

VXR likes this.
  28. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Am I the only one who sees "road-legal" and thinks they'll aim more for Saudi than Slough?

Nessy and VXR like this.
  29. Nessy

Nessy

Righty then, time for some amateur hour sketching.

Personally, I hope it looks nothing like this (i'm sure it will be a lot nicer and more cutting edge). I'm just going from that loose Nebula sketch.

[​IMG]

30. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Part of me Is kinda hoping its something like this in a more extreme form:

upload_2016-3-20_13-46-26.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    ProjectF likes this.