AT Subaru Impreza

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 31 comments
I was just wondering if the Subaru Impreza sedan is available with an automatic transmission.

By the way, the new 2005 Impreza rocks!

The Impreza is only available in manual here in SA. The Legacy has an auto option, as does the Outback (i think).

takumi64
I was just wondering if the Subaru Impreza sedan is available with an automatic transmission.

By the way, the new 2005 Impreza rocks!

The following 2004 Imprezas are available with automatic transmissions:

- 2.5TS wagon (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $18800)
- 2.5RS sedan (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $20300)
- Outback Sport wagon (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $20000)
- WRX wagon (227bhp 2.0L H4T - $25100)
- WRX sedan (227bhp 2.0L H4T - $25600)

The following 2005 Imprezas are available with automatic transmissions:

- 2.5RS wagon (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $18800)
- 2.5RS sedan (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $18800)
- 2.5RS Sport sedan (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $19800)
- Outback Sport wagon (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $19700)
- Outback Sport Special Edition wagon (165bhp 2.5L H4 - $20200)
- WRX wagon (227bhp 2.0L H4T - $25100)
- WRX sedan (227bhp 2.0L H4T - $25600)

All automatics are 4-speed without a manual shift gate. The only Impreza not available with an automatic transmission is the WRX STi sedan for both 2004 and 2005.

Available, though rare.

892177014.165001857.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

892177018.165001857.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

892177020.165001857.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Yeah. It's mainly there just for the books - I've personally driven a few WRXs (sedan and wagon) and never even seen an automatic. I don't exactly know what the point of it is. The invoice on the transmission is $733 and Subaru charges $800 for it, so they're not exactly making a bundle.

The crazy fools!

- are they cripples - physically unable to change manually?

- or just ****ing lazy?

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII GT-A. Yep, Subaru have a rival too!

The GT-A exists 'to bring the hi-performance all-wheel-drive sports sedan experience to a wider audience.' I think TheCracker has a point as the wider audience must be cripples or people who can't change gear manually. I feel sorry for them!

Having said that, the auto box can detect the driving style and adapt its shift pattern to suit. Still a quick car!

Dorifto
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder WRX's are like to drive. Anyone know?
I test drove one before I bought the Miata. I liked it alot in general. The salesman kept eggeing me on to get on it so I went on this one road that is straight for about 2 miles with no entrances or cross roads and rarely any traffic. I came to a dead stop, and I can tell you that it was the hardest launching car I ever drove. Awesome traction. Around town, if you are not in boost or in the wrong gear, it lags a ton, but once you owned it for a bit you'd probably get the hang of it. As far as roll-on acceleration, it was pretty good, but not as quick as the 98 Prelude I had at the time. That 2.2L Vtec had wicked top end, it would pull from 40 to 120 very quickly if you kept it in the VTEC. I'd say the WRX was close in that aspect, but not quite as much. I didn't really get to find any good curvy roads to check the handling out like I wanted, but it seemed pretty solid from what little I could tell. Not even close to the Miata though, way to heavy:D If I could afford the STI I would buy it over any car in that price range, excepting maybe the S2000. I like convertables alot so it would be a tough choice.

Edit: I read a review of a road test of the WRX with an auto trans, and the summation was that it ruins the car. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times increased by about .6 and .9 respectively.👎 Not to mention no fun at all rev-matching downshifts or heel-toe braking.:guilty:

TheCracker
The crazy fools!

- are they cripples - physically unable to change manually?

- or just ****ing lazy?
SOme people, like me, don't even know how to drive stick. They don't have the privalage of having a manual car in ther family.

You also might not want to use the term "cripple" or you might get a visit in the night you won't soon forget.

on a lighter not, how does one learn how to drive stick if they don't have access to a manual car?

...I wasn't being serious you know!

I don't think Imprezas and Mitsi Evos are ideal for American roads and driving practices, they are more suited to rough, twisty European and Japanese roads. In the UK about 80-90% of all Imprezas are WRX or Sti's.

I drove one at work the other day. Had to move it to get to a WRX wagon for the showroom. So anyway I got in the thing and saw that it was an auto and was like "hmmm, never seen one of these before". So I took it for a little fun session in the parking lot on the way to the car wash. The automatic is SLOW from a stop. Absolutely slow. My 323 takes off from a stop a lot faster than the WRX. Ofcourse once you get the thing revving and boosting it's pretty quick. I have driven the regular Impreza auto, it wasn't bad.
Stangely the WRX I drove did not have the boost gauge. I guess it's an option.

Event Horizon
on a lighter not, how does one learn how to drive stick if they don't have access to a manual car?

Get a job at a dealership.

That's how I did it. We have 5 stick cars in my family and my brother and my dad won't let me behind the wheel of them.
Ofcourse, I knew the basics before hand. So first day of work as a new car prep I had the test: moving stick Subarus. Subaru uses stiffer clutches for sportyness and they are hard to take off in. Hard. I got in the car with one of the other new car preps and he's like "You know how to drive a stick?" I said "I know how but I've never done it". So here I am in a Forester and I thought I was doing ok but I let the clutch out way too fast, jumped, and stalled. Did that a bunch of times. The poor guy that had to ride with me said that he was getting whiplash.
But it worked out well, I'm pretty good with sticks now. I do have some dim moments where I screw up, let the clutch out too fast or stall a car because I'm not paying attention. Just did it yesterday...I was working in the service drive-through moving cars. I got in a Miata after driving a rather worn in B-series stick. So I get in the Miata and hit the gas which is way-touchy in a Miata and let the clutch out at about 3 grand doing a little peel out right there. Luckily the Miata's owner was long gone. I've never grinded(ground?) a gear though, and that's a good thing. Grinding a gear makes you look like a newbee, if you dump the clutch too fast atleast you can make it look like you meant to do it. :)

MazKid
Stangely the WRX I drove did not have the boost gauge. I guess it's an option.

The boost gauge is an $801 option (part of Performance Group 1, which includes a titanium shift knob and a much-needed short-throw shifter as well), but it's only available for the manual WRX.

Doug, look at the pic you posted, it's an auto with a boost gauge. And now you're telling me that you can't get the boost gauge with the auto?!
I bet you could also go to a Sube dealership and order the boost gauge through the parts dept. It would be loads cheaper.

MazKid
Doug, look at the pic you posted, it's an auto with a boost gauge. And now you're telling me that you can't get the boost gauge with the auto?!
I bet you could also go to a Sube dealership and order the boost gauge through the parts dept. It would be loads cheaper.

That's how it had to have happened, because I'm looking at the picture of a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX automatic and Subaru's own spec list which says the boost gauge is only available on the manual. But like all Subarus (and most vehicles) dealer-installed options are of course available; that'd be an easy one for the dealer to slap on and charge $600 for.

M5Power
Available, though rare.

892177014.165001857.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

892177018.165001857.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

892177020.165001857.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Wow! Thats a pretty expensive packaging!! :eek:
-Sunroof visor
-Heated Leather seats
-Turbo gauge accessory
-Automatic Tranny

That looks its gonna cost US$26K-27.5K, whoo!!!

And why auto? To me, on a performace car like the WRX, a A/T should not be available, many people who owned a WRX(at Edmunds.com forum) said that the 2.0Rex-auto performs very differently compared the the stick. And also for a car that cost more than $26K USD, I rather get the '05 Legacy GT A/T.

"Still the Forester XT M/T all the way!!!" :)

Event Horizon
Believe it or not, I taught a friend of mine how to drive a stick around 1994. I took him to the arcade and had him play the origianl sit-down arcade Ridge Racer, which had a 6 speed manual. I also had him play a driving sim by Atari that was WAY ahead of it's time, called Race Driver or Stunt Driver or something like that. It was a big flop, but way back then it had full force feedback, a clutch and manual trans, I loved that game! It even had an ignition key and when you started the game you had to hold in the clutch and start it.:) If you missed shifts the gears would grind, and the steering was very similar to the feedback of the new Driving Force Pro for GT4. It was way too real for most everyone who grew up on Pole Position like me!

Anyway, after teaching my friend on the games, he drove his first stick with me and did very well, as he knew what to expect. Of course he stalled it a few times, but much less that the average newbie:tup:

what kind of... no, i should put this nicely.

you stu-... ok try again...

AT's are the devil!!!! the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I didn't realize people had so much trouble figuring out manual. I just got a manual and drove off in it. It's not that complicated....

^Good thing I learned how to drive stick when I was 15-16, thanks to video games (Daytona USA 1), and also my mom's old 1991 Toyota Liteace passenger van [ASDM].

Since then, I feel very unconfortable driving an A/T car especially if the car has a M/T model, I want total control of the car not the other way around.

How the hell does one learn manual if one does not have access to a manual car? You can't simulate a real MT with a video game...

Event Horizon
How the hell does one learn manual if one does not have access to a manual car? You can't simulate a real MT with a video game...

Unless they actually have the clutch (though manumatics are slowly coming along)...
How do you use manual anyways (I have experience in only AT)?

One of my friends told me : Lift gas->Clutch->Shift->Slowly push gas....

BTW, how does the heel-toe clutch actually work (shifting two gears down?)..... Seen it on BM, WRC and I still don't know what it is......

Gee...... Very off from the topic as usual... :guilty:
Anyways, a Impreza's (or any performance car's) potential would be wasted to be used AT.....

^Well I can't explain it by words, I learn the basic shift points on a video game and then mom's friend taught me how to modulate the clutch engagment. It took me 3 (as in 3 day)30 min. sessions before I learned how to drive a real M/T. And I learned it the hard way, trying to accelerate the car uphill on a 45 degree angle.

Tough, but extraordinary results. :)

first understand what the clutch does. then remember to give it gas. other than that its just like you would expect.

The importance of gas can't be understated, i have accelerated from a dead stop in 3rd and even started my car in 1st without stalling. you can shift without the clutch once you learn to work it. How? Floorin' it. Thats why sticks rule.

PS. i am not responsible if you decide to try these things out yourself. :)

wellyrn
you can shift without the clutch once you learn to work it. How? Floorin' it. Thats why sticks rule.

PS. i am not responsible if you decide to try these things out yourself. :)

My dad used to do that in his old 88 Mazda B2000. :lol:

Back