At the Car Wash

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by Parnelli Bone, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

What do you think of the whole car wash feature? I think it's amazing, yet something nobody ever talks about. Whenever i see somebody notice it, they usually say it's a totally useless feature and why does PD keep including it in their games? Most of us discuss our latest lap times, top speed, or the cars themselves but what do you think about the whole process of cars losing their shine so that you have to go and get them detailed again? Yeah, it's useless, but i dig it. So post your opinions here! How often do you get your cars washed or do you even care?

2. unsanctified

unsanctified

I don't even care.

Neat feature, though!

3. TMM

TMM

I think it was a nice touch that helped put GT1 above the other racing games. I'm glad they keep including it in the latest releases especially if they include damage in GT5 cause then you can repair your car and wash it as well.

In GT1 I only ever washed my cars when they had finally finished all the races, however I wish I had washed them before each race cause they would have looked better in the replays. So in GT2 I will wash them more often so they look better and I have read that in GT3 a dirty car will have less aerodynamics than a clean car... Discuss.

4. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

C'mon everybody, chime in! I thought this topic would attract more. Oh well. Actually, TMM, in GT2 the car wash does hardly anything. They didn't program it right or something, cuz your cars lose a little bit of their glare and that's all, but it's barely noticeable. I'm pretty psyched that it's back in gT3. I got a PT Cruiser and a Toyota Corolla...each has over 200 miles on it and they both look like they've been used cuz i haven't taken them for a clean yet! So dirty cars have worse aerodynamics in that game? Wow, i didn't know that

5. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Supposedly, in the high-speed (read: Test Course) races, you might pick up a little less drag.

I never thought much of the GT1 and GT3 washes; Back in Febuary, I tried the GT1 wash on my '90 RX-7 (first GT1 car) and noticed a difference in the shine (the shine gets a little dull after a while)

In GT2, the cars shine too much (the cars shine in the Deep Forest tunnel, for crying out loud), but wash doens't seem to have much of an effect. Maybe those who use an emulator for GT2 will notice a difference.

GT3 cars also had a lot of shine, but it was much more adequately distributed on the car. However, some of the cars also looked too shiny, so a good bit of dirt made them look more realisitc (my gray IS200 looks more realisitc when dirty). Also some colors weren't quite my taste, but with 150 miles of tinting, they looked better!

6. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Yeah, that's true, there is plenty of glare; doesn't mattter if you're in a tunnel or not! Ha haa haa. I noticed in gT1 early on that my black '88 Nissan Silvia (first car) looked really different one day. I never took it in the cw. That just flipped me out. I also got a blue/white Viper that has that look to it. My GT2 Viper in comparison...i musta raced well over 50x in that vehicle and it looks almost as new as the day i got it.

7. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

TVR Chameleon colours seem to get very dull after a few races. A wash seems to help, but it always seems the car is super-shiney in the wash and never quite that shiney even for its first race afterwards.

8. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Wasn't there a Village People song titled "At the Car Wash"? :D

Actually, you could imagine lyrics set to "In the Navy", but, actually there was a lesser-known (to me) hit "(At the) Car Wash", by "Rose Royce", which and whom I don't knowingly recall.

9. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Yeah, that's right. Rose Royce, that's the band. Or was it Rufus (with a young Shelia E singing?) No Rufus did ‘tell me something good’ or wahtever it's called.

10. TMM

TMM

150 miles of tinting, I like it...

11. crimson_menace

crimson_menace

I totally dig the car wash gig. And the music, too!

12. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

It's nice to see someone breathing some life in the GT1 area.

13. Operator

Operator

I used to wash my cars almost after every race... I didn't really notice a difference, but it was fun. :)

14. T5-R

T5-R

I think the car wash is a nice feature and promotes some 'car care' which GT needs in my opinion. In GT1 it was really noticable, but as people have said in GT2 it didn't seem to do anything and the cars were all far too shiney anyway.

Can't say I've noticed it in GT4 yet but then I usually use my favourite cars which I wash all the time anyway :D

15. Operator

Operator

After endurance races it's noticeable in GT4 too :)

16. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

You won't notice any difference unless you race for many miles. If you just go wash the car after every race it never has a chance to get dull-looking.

17. TMM

TMM

I suspect quite a few of us pop in to have a look around and then move onto fresher pastures.

18. crimson_menace

crimson_menace

Yup. Gotta love the ol' GT! Isn't anything better than to visit the past and realizing how good you really got it made!

Simplicity is beautiful in its simplicity. :)

19. MrGSCoTT

MrGSCoTT

I have no idea why I wash my car in any of the GT games. It is there, fairly cheap, so I just do it to unload spare credits.

20. FastEddie12

FastEddie12

I used to like not washing my car in GT1, and watch my cars get dirtier and dirtier. If ever I did wash one, I'd think to myself "I should have left that, it looks cool". GT4's disappointing in that department. Especially after the rallies, or Tsukuba wet: they should be filthy :p .

Coolest car I ever saw was a once purple Lamborghini Diablo, streaked with grime and covered with ****e at a motorway service station in France on a very wet day... That car looked really mean. :)

PS I don't wash my cars in RL either... :D

21. Lister

Lister

was the point u whas race car is dirty like this:
    car+wash=clean car BUT clean car+race=dirty then hback to the was

22. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Huh?

23. FastEddie12

FastEddie12

Let me translate:

"....erm...."

What's he trying to say???

24. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

I don't know, musta been drunk or something. *hic*

25. T5-R

T5-R

I think what hes trying to say is when you race your car it gets dirty, so you wash it and its clean. However if you keep racing it then it will get dirty again and you'll have to wash it again.

Or you could just say if your car gets dirty, wash it.

26. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Well if that's what he said all i have to say in response is DUH!!!

27. FastEddie12

FastEddie12

You see? There's method in my madness... Nobody understands why I never wash my cars.:D

28. T5-R

T5-R

:lol: I say the same about cutting the grass. 'Ahh whats the point, it will only grow back again. Its not like its gonna turn into the Amazon jungle is it?'

29. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Yeah. But if mine gets too long (grass flowers are a good indication) the neighbour will complain that I'm breeding mosquitos (which likely carry West Nile virus).

Though, of course, in typical neighbourly fashion, they rarely make their complaint until AFTER I finally get a round tuit and cut the grass. :lol:

http://www.canadiansocialresearch.net/images/circle.gif

30. FastEddie12

FastEddie12

For God's sake don't give any of those to my neighbours, I'll be getting them for Christmas for years to come... :p