Audi Buys McLaren (or not)!

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 32 comments
Ducati still kept its name. Don't panic. But still:

At laaaaaassssst.....
20210629_114709.jpg

Last edited:
You really think Autocar would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

You really think Autocar would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?
Well... Autocar reported that a source had told it that Audi had bought McLaren. It didn't say that Audi had bought McLaren.

The source must have been very well-placed for Autocar to even consider reporting it, but single-source stuff like this is always dodgy and egg-on-face is always a potential consequence.

It's also not a good look for any of the outlets who've reported "Autocar says source says this" as "Autocar says this" or - worse - "this". There are many.

Last edited:
A bit weird that Audi, and not Volkswagen Group, would buy McLaren, isn’t it? Well, I’ll never get the hang of capitalism I guess.

Looks like Autocar switched out your original article Scaff.
Yep, and as Famine mentioned, it's a big risk for them to get something like this wrong, in particular as I saw in on the Autocar Business news feed, which means they pushed that out to the Industry as well.

Bmw rumoured to be interested in buying mclaren as well as Audi.
McLaren statement issued so as not to scare bmw from bidding war

What benefit does McLaren being under the purview of a company provide? Especially when the actual consumer car brand is healthy (though whether good or not, is up to interpretation)

What benefit does McLaren being under the purview of a company provide? Especially when the actual consumer car brand is healthy (though whether good or not, is up to interpretation)
It's open to interpretation whether the value of these things would even be worthwhile but McLaren would get access to more resources and be able to share Audi's intellectual property and platforms.

It's open to interpretation whether the value of these things would even be worthwhile but McLaren would get access to more resources and be able to share Audi's intellectual property and platforms.

I just fail to see any way this is beneficial for both parties, or even just one. Audi (by way of VAG) is already big enough. And as long as the F1 division (and I presume the technology branch) is doing fine enough, McLaren isn't exactly in dire straights, especially considering the gains the road car division have made in the last decade or so.

I just fail to see any way this is beneficial for both parties, or even just one. Audi (by way of VAG) is already big enough. And as long as the F1 division (and I presume the technology branch) is doing fine enough, McLaren isn't exactly in dire straights, especially considering the gains the road car division have made in the last decade or so.
McLaren had had to run a number of investment drives recently and financial for them have been rumoured to be tight for quite a while.

No income from McLaren Applied Technology either, as they sold that off.

Last edited:
When you had a one night stand that good, I can't blame BMW for sending the late night "u up?" text.
BMW even kept a few of the kids.

I think one of the other GTRs rests in their US collection.

I assumed the road car side was pretty healthy, where as the F1 team hasn’t really had title-level sponsorship seemingly for an age, from what I can recall. Both divisions face the need of investments in the near future with either new major F1 regs, or the need to start thinking about electrification for the road car side of things. That’s what I assume is driving these rumours, which sadly I think must be at this point true.

If all Audi wants is a spot on the F1 roster, why spend that much money to buy McLaren? Aren't there much less expensive backmarker teams in F1? And what would Audi do with McLaren's road car business, anyway? They already own Lamborghini and are a sister company to Porsche.

Back