• Thread starter Duke
  • 18 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
I broke down and bought a red TT to run the Beginners TT Championship last night. I changed the oil and headed off to the series race without even changing the tires.

Rome, Trial Mountain, and Laguna were all a blast. I started 6th w/o qualifying each time, and fought my way through the pack. The races were very close and exciting (I didn't take the lead at TM till the final chicane). The car was much more fun to drive than I had suspected from racing against it in other cars, with mild oversteer on command, and seemingly good brakes. Even on stock sim tires it was easy to hustle around the track. I was really thinking I was wrong about the car, and I was having alot of fun.

Then I got to SS Route 11. Suddenly the AI cars had more power and I had less traction. The TT understeered hideously under acceleration, and braking sucked too. I qualified in the basement and fought tooth and nail for a 3rd place finish.

It was worse at Monaco, which I had never run in my life. I was 6 seconds off the pace, and during practice the AI was pushing me around like a ragdoll. I won the series on points but I'm definitely going to need at least slicks to gold those two, and maybe more.

How does the TT fare on other tracks? SSR 11 and Monaco are both pretty tight - does the heavy TT just not like that kind of run? Of course I won another TT which I will probably do all handling mods and weight redux on for comparison. FWIW, at least on the first three, more open tracks, the car felt like mostly RWD with maybe 25% torque up front. But on the other two, it felt 100% FWD.

neon_duke

The biggest improvement I could make to that car was buying the adjustable VCD. I've got it set to only 10% front which made a heck of a difference.

With that and some other basic modifications, it is one of my favorite of the low end cars.

My best results with the TT were also with a VCD, although I set mine at 15% Front. Never been a fan of it as a car though.

I've driven two real TT's, and neither seemed quite as quick, even though they were the 225hp versions...

PD's TT is not quite right somewhere along the lines...

I think I may have already volunteered this info, but I didn't do many more upgrades than you, and it was a tough fight. I did find that the VCD made a drastic improvement.

SSII was a marginal victory by 1.382

Cote D'azur was a better run with a margin 2.780

But then again, Cote is one of my favorite tracks.

Good luck on the Amateur Level.

AO

I am doing beginneers again and have to deal with the TT series too. I remember I got a blue TT straight off from the dealer, bought a weight reduction stage 1 and a turbo or NA level 1, then I went straight to race. I really had no problems. The problems I had were with the Altezza Series. I had problems with just a level 1 weight reduction car in the last two series. I almost got 1 st place in SSR5 off from .xxx seconds.

Well, I admit in the interest of challenge, I am really trying to minimize the upgrades. I don't want to throw horsepower at it to solve the problem.

I'm really more interested in the sudden change for the better that the AI showed, and whether or not my TT actually got worse, or just was not suited to those two tracks.

I think I'll try Super Slicks first, then weight redux, then the VCD.

I just dropped a note to NocturnalPS about moving some of these over...

See you beat me too it.

;)

AO

Yes, I typically run zero ASM and 1 TCS. I wonder if I forgot to set those for this car?

BTW rjensen, I put my 2p in on your TT message in the Settings forum. Good luck!

Well, at the time, I hadn't driven one. I had been crushing them when they shjowed up as competition, though, so I wasn't excited about buying one. I had been trying to win one, but I opted to take a better prize and just buy the TT after all.

Ahh, okay. That sounds good, but don't you ever buy any of those cars just for the looks and beauty of them? Or is your garage too full?

Yes, I do, though I have been trying to limit the number of cars I buy as I'm going through. Wherever I could I've been trying to use prize cars as long as they are competitive without being brutal. Once I get nearer 100% I will buy more cars for fun.

I admit, though, to being pleasantly surprised by the TT after I bought it. It drove way better than I thought it would from watching it in AI competition.

when i bought the car, it easily became my least favorite. I thought it strongly resembled driving a tank. Especially with that vibrating PD added for the car. it understeered horribly. you had to be very careful when exiting a corner because it understeered the most when getting on the gas. It just pushed itself into the walls.

Then when i was upgrading i had the strange idea to try the VCD for the first time on any car. I was surprised. I run it at around 17% front and its much better now. Besides handling improvement, the biggest surprise was how well it launched now. Without it the car launched horribly for a supposed awd car. The tires would just spin. Now, when I'm up against cars with much more power (on long straights they blow by me at close to 20mph faster), from 6th on the grid i can easily overtake them all immediately after green.

I like it much better now.

Back