Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

The new Sonata certainly pulls off the facelift well. Past Hyundai facelifts felt a bit lack luster with the new front/rear not really matching the overall design compared to the original pre-facelifts. Another one I can think of that changed for the better is the 2023+ Hyundai Palisade facelift. Did not like the pre-facelift 2020 - 2022 model year look, but the headlights being blended into the grill works well for it and it's more blocky design.

2020 - 2022 pre-facelift:
2021-hyundai-palisade-calligraphy-exterior-front-quarter.jpg

2023+ facelift:
2022-hyundai-asheville-2736-1-1660333741.jpg

I weirdly feel the opposite for the Kia Telluride and that the pre-facelift looks better than the recent facelift. A little disappointed that it lost it's unique amber DRLs.

Pre-Facelift:
2021-kia-telluride_100754575_h.jpg

Facelift:
2023-Kia-Telluride_KL_11.jpg

I'm going to revive this thread after 2 months to talk about the Ferrari Testarossa and its facelifts.

For me, even without my nostalgia taking a hold of me; I still enjoy how it looks.
1688877223662.png

and my favorite part of it oddly enough is the rear end with how they did the taillights and vents. I like the ridges put over both. It's like they managed to make the car look aggressive, but also clean at the same time.
1688877466262.png

With that said, I think it got better looking when it got updated to the 512 TR. I think smoothing out the edges and changing the grill helped make it look its best.
1688877236374.png

and the best part is that the 512TR still has those "ridges" on the back! :D
1688877701154.png

The 512M however was for the worse, it looks like they tried to put the F355's face over the testa and it looks stretched, it also kinda doesn't work with the side vent design imo.
1688877255182.png

and they sadly changed the back. :(
1688877929300.png

and the 2nd Ferrari I just wanted to mention was the Maranello

I think between the 550 and the 575, the 550 looked better. Though they're both beautiful designs.
1688878065249.png

1688878122716.png

I don't know why but I seem to remember being told that the Testarossa, Outrun fame or not, was a complete joke (along with the Mondial).

On looks, the front of the 512TR facelift and the rear of the original is a dream combination. The 512M is a frog-faced gremlin.

I don't like the 512TR as much. While the rest of the car is atrocious, I think the 512M bumper fits the front of the car better than the one that looks like it was bondo'd onto it from a 348 that the TR has. I also don't like the engine cover as much, but that's much more minor

The problem with the 575 is that a ton of cars were doing that same headlight treatment at around the same time so it's much more obviously of its time, in addition to body colored headlight housings looking worse in general that blacked out ones.

Last edited:
The current generation Ford Escape's facelift feels like a much needed change. Still a rather non-descript crossover, but the facelift gave it more detail that it needed. Something about the pre-facelift looks like it's missing something. Although the lightbar on the facelift looks a bit cheesy.

2020 - 2022MY:
21-escp-se-hydsprtpckg-34frntpassmotnfrrstrd-mj-1635199969.jpg

2023MY+
2023-ford-escape-st-line-elite-rapid-red-03-1666667348.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the Alfa Romeo facelift for the Stelvio/Giulia with a rather minor headlight change. Felt like it sort of lost it's rather unique DRLs with the update. Feels like a lot of manufacturers are doing the U or L shaped daytime running lights.

Pre-facelift Giulia/Stelvio:
2022-alfa-romeo-giulia-mmp-1-1633101092.jpg

2023-alfa-romeo-stelvio-exterior-front-1657737046.jpg

Facelifted Giulia/Stelvio:
2023-alfa-romeo-giulia-108-6400fe6bc909a.jpeg

2024-alfa-romeo-stelvio-102-jpeg-63ffa98aa7813.jpeg

As far as the Escape goes, I disagree completely. Still a nondescript crossover either way, though the pre-facelift at least had the vaguely cutesy face shared by the forbidden-fruit Puma. The facelifted Escape just makes it look more like one of the hundreds of different Chinese market compact CUVs.

As far as the Escape goes, I disagree completely. Still a nondescript crossover either way, though the pre-facelift at least had the vaguely cutesy face shared by the forbidden-fruit Puma. The facelifted Escape just makes it look more like one of the hundreds of different Chinese market compact CUVs.
I suppose it did lose some uniqueness, now it just looks like a miniature Ford Edge, which kind of dates it rather than updates it.

I much prefer the newer headlight design as a tasteful nod to the 159's bulb cluster.
I can see that, I just find myself a little tired of the L/U shaped DRLs that seem to be popping up a lot on cars. Something probably more fitting for the design thread.

Random thing, I did not realize the Buick Regal was getting another facelift....that's...got quite the grill.
Buick-Regal-Facelift-China-old-VS-new-1.webp

Still the same Insignia based vehicle that Vauxhall/Opel ended production of in 2022.
Buick-Regal-Facelift-China-3s.webp

Problem with the Escape/Puma is likely that Ford realized that it looks old. Way more dated than the model it replaced. It might as well be a blobby blob that Peugeot released in 2003. It was a wonder Ford was able to do so much with it so fast and in that context the refresh looks fine, but sales cratered so hard globally that they definitely must have felt they had to do something.

The current generation Ford Escape's facelift feels like a much needed change. Still a rather non-descript crossover, but the facelift gave it more detail that it needed. Something about the pre-facelift looks like it's missing something. Although the lightbar on the facelift looks a bit cheesy.

2020 - 2022MY:
21-escp-se-hydsprtpckg-34frntpassmotnfrrstrd-mj-1635199969.jpg

2023MY+
2023-ford-escape-st-line-elite-rapid-red-03-1666667348.jpg
I'm indifferent about the Escape facelift. I personally quite like the happy looking face of the original. It's similar to the Fiesta and Puma, neither of which we get in the US which is unfortunate. The facelift is nice too. It follows more of their Chinese market design language which I am a big fan of.

1689733341818.png

Not sure how I feel about the Alfa Romeo facelift for the Stelvio/Giulia with a rather minor headlight change. Felt like it sort of lost it's rather unique DRLs with the update. Feels like a lot of manufacturers are doing the U or L shaped daytime running lights.

Pre-facelift Giulia/Stelvio:
2022-alfa-romeo-giulia-mmp-1-1633101092.jpg

2023-alfa-romeo-stelvio-exterior-front-1657737046.jpg

Facelifted Giulia/Stelvio:
2023-alfa-romeo-giulia-108-6400fe6bc909a.jpeg

2024-alfa-romeo-stelvio-102-jpeg-63ffa98aa7813.jpeg
I absolutely despise the Alfa facelift. I feel like the new signature DRL outline doesn't fit the shape of the headlight housing at all. The design inconsistency is really annoying to me. In addition, the DRL outline just looks really cheap. I wish the Giulia got the lights from the Stelvio as the Stelvio's original DRL outline looks much more sophisticated than the original Giulia's

Random thing, I did not realize the Buick Regal was getting another facelift....that's...got quite the grill.

Still the same Insignia based vehicle that Vauxhall/Opel ended production of in 2022.
The Regal facelift looks sooooo bad lol. I loved the original Regal design. I tried to convince a family member to get the Regal TourX at the time. The new design just looks like the generic Toyota / Lexus grill.

1689733562349.png

Last edited:
Problem with the Escape/Puma is likely that Ford realized that it looks old. Way more dated than the model it replaced. It might as well be a blobby blob that Peugeot released in 2003. It was a wonder Ford was able to do so much with it so fast and in that context the refresh looks fine, but sales cratered so hard globally that they definitely must have felt they had to do something.
Well, the introduction of the Bronco Sport (and normal Bronco, to a lesser extent) would inevitably cut from the Escape’s sales. The rugged aesthetic is what’s in right now.

but sales cratered so hard globally
Cars don't get facelifts signed off on almost immediately after debut of a whole new model unless something is seriously wrong with the public response to it.

See: GMs flailing to try and save the Camaro

Last edited:
Cars don't get facelifts signed off on almost immediately after debut of a whole new model unless something is seriously wrong with the public response to it.

See: GMs flailing to try and save the Camaro
The current-gen Escape was sold for three model years in its pre-facelift form. That's a pretty average length of time before a car gets facelifted. I think purpose of the Escape's 2023 facelift was to make it look more similar to the Edge and Explorer, rather than the Fiesta and Puma which are not available stateside, not because the pre-facelift Escape was some sales disaster nor that it looked dated upon arrival. I don't think it's a coincidence that the year Escape sales saw their biggest drop- nearly by 70,000 units in the US- was the same year the Bronco/Bronco Sport hit the market. And, for obvious reasons, 2021 wasn't a good year for car sales to begin with. Ford knows that it can rake in higher profit margins from the Bronco/Bronco Sport than the more affordable Escape, and are probably OK with Escape sales plummeting so long that people are buying up Broncos like hotcakes, which they are.

Last edited:
I suppose it did lose some uniqueness, now it just looks like a miniature Ford Edge, which kind of dates it rather than updates it.

I can see that, I just find myself a little tired of the L/U shaped DRLs that seem to be popping up a lot on cars. Something probably more fitting for the design thread.

Wow that's a tragic downgrade.

I'm going to mention a Ford again, the Torino.

For the 2nd Gen Torino, I'm going to say the 1970 looks a bit better than the 1971. I dunno, I don't they needed to separate the grill.
1690413162580.png

1689779047330.png

Then there's the 3rd Gen Torino, which got a more noticable update between 1972 and 1973. Once again, I think the 1972 overall has a better look. The 1972's front end gives me more of a muscle car vibe and the 1973 change with the bumper and the grill gives me old man car vibes. It think it's because of the pattern they gave the grill though.
1690413313542.png

1690413327920.png

Yeah, the grill pattern change on the 1974 Gran Torino looks better than what was on the 1973.
1690413532926.png

Last edited:
Honest. Worse in most cases. My oldest vehicle was a 1981 F-100. I'm neutral about the FORD lettering or the blue oval. Then there's the Thunderbird 5.0 which looks better with a body colored grille and MUCH better than the MN-92. My favorite slot racer was a model of an '87 TC, at the time my daily driver was and '88 5.0. Everyone thought it was a Mustang...nope!
In homage to that car, my current daily driver also has 5.0 badging (and the engine to match). It's very close to the Raptor in GT7. Ford did great with the blackout twin bar grille, but most of the grilles from 1987 to 2017 are downright ugly. The exception is the right hole egg crate in any color (96 1/2 to 98 F-150) and the blackout chickenwire grille from 99 to 2004. The 92 to 96 grilles were OK. The 96 1/2 model was a very sharp looking departure from what I expected in a truck. I still have an 03 F-150 Super crew that's in great shape and it stands out in any parking lot. Mechanically it's not good right now (needs me to adjust the new ball joint) but it will get from A to B.

The Mercedes R-Class apparently got a facelift sometimes during its miserable existence.
1200px-2010_Mercedes-Benz_R350L_Grand_Edition_CDi_Automatic_3.0_Front.jpg

car_photo_538318.jpg

Last edited:
It may look better, but definitely gets lost in the crowd. At least the original headlights stands out. I miss the days of Mercedes and BMW with round headlights.

The current-gen Escape was sold for three model years in its pre-facelift form. That's a pretty average length of time before a car gets facelifted.
So the Explorer, which also debuted at the same time, that had no notable sales dropoff even deep into COVID and was largely carrying over styling from the previous model that dated to 2011, is... exempt?
The RAV4, that debuted in 2018, had no notable sales dropoff even deep into COVID and whose refresh in 2023 was 98% interior updating, is... exempt?
The RX, from 2015, with its no major styling changes besides headlight shape until it was given an entire new generation the same year Ford restyled the Escape?
The Jeep Compass, from 2017, that has basically remained untouched on the outside since it debuted even though COVID did significantly impact its sales?
The Equinox, from 2017, with its new headlight and taillights that Chevrolet nonetheless took extra care to make sure that they were the same dimensions as the previous units?
The CX-5, from 2017, that looks so identical on the outside to when it debuted that nobody would be able to tell them apart at a glance?

Plus there's the elephant in the room of a facelift:
1691873993617.png

1691874001897.png

1691875062626.png

1691875077717.png

1691875771881.png

1691876194653.png

versus a facelift:

1691874231524.png

1691874194854.png

Hyundai and Kia do regularly refresh their model ranges into things that look completely different than they did before; and they have been for the past 10-ish years. Rarely does anyone else do the equivalent of what Jeep did with the recently discontinued Cherokee; and even that wasn't restyled like that until it had already been on sale for 5 years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the year Escape sales saw their biggest drop- nearly by 70,000 units in the US- was the same year the Bronco/Bronco Sport hit the market.
That's particularly impressive as a coincidence since the Bronco Sport went on sale the following year.

Ford knows that it can rake in higher profit margins from the Bronco/Bronco Sport than the more affordable Escape, and

1691870420947.png

In Europe, where the Bronco Sport still is not sold, the sales for the current Escape fell even further than they did in the US. In the US, where the Bronco Sport did not go on sale until the 2021 model year, Ford lost 70,000 sales. The new model lost 150,000 sales right off the back in a year that was comparably unaffected by COVID and without direct in-showroom competition until the following year

Whether or not Ford thought that the reason was because the styling was outdated specifically, they would not have shrugged that off for a previously extremely popular model they just introduced. And they didn't, since they gave it a much more extensive restyling than any of its competitors or corporate siblings over the same time period (even when the competition is much older); even though they are probably very happy that the Bronco Sport has been a hit.

The current Traverse just keeps getting worse and worse…

View attachment 1278854
That's a trick because the current Traverse is an entirely new model.

Last edited:
I used to think that a "facelift" was a literal face lift, not a redesign of the front end.

I wanted to bring this thread back with the 1st Gen Subaru Impreza WRX Sti.

Well for me, I would say it got meaner looking with each iteration of the 1st Gen STi. Though, I can understand if people preferred the looks of the earlier ones more since they didn't have as crazy of a wing and less rigid bumpers.

1994 Impreza WRX STi
1705782924189.jpeg

1996 Impreza WRX STi (1997 looked pretty similar)
1705783025390.jpeg

1998 Impreza WRX STi Version
1705783098327.jpeg

Couple of brands that did really good, simple yet very effective facelifts are Maserati and Alfa Romeo. AR did wonderful job with DRLs and Altezza rears on Giulia and Stelvio. Maserati facelifted Levante, Quattroporte and Ghibli amazingly. Ghibli's rear was off to me but 1st facelift made it better, but 2020 facelift with 3200GT style rear lights made Ghibli one of prettiest midsize sedans. Its not just a simple boomerang stripe, whole housing was changed and looks quite gracious. To be discountinued Lancia Y facelifts were also good.

On the other side of Stellantis, Peugeot really overfacelifted 208 and 508. 508s front is too much, especially grill (Renault did better job with gradient grill with Clio facelift, E-Tech Megane and Scenic). Maybe 208 and Corsa were overfacelifted a bit so Ypsilon could succeed lol.

The Taycan is an interesting one. The original concept was fairly minimal with the most prominent kind of graphic element being the cut-and-fold treatment of the headlights and those vertical vents:

porsche-normal.jpg

You could almost argue that it was kind of the singular defining element of the design, because without it, it would just be kind of a non-specific blob.

Porsche went through probably quite a bit of trouble to realize them in the production Taycan:
img-1-600x400.jpg

Now, as with the absurdly-festooned Toyota Supra, I always thought these were really stupid and the actual design intent of the concept could never really translate to production, but Porsche went ahead and at least did a facsimile.

With the facelift, however, they are now dead. So the most prominent design feature of the Taycan is now gone. On the one hand, good riddance, because it was just about the most tacky thing on the road (just after the white and black wheels also on the Taycan that were inadvisably greenlit for production...) but on the other hand the Taycan has basically zero personality now. Even the Audi E-tron at least has kind of a presence. The Taycan is just vaguely mid car.

2024_Porsche_Taycan_Facelift_1707320945160_1707320954621.jpg

edit: The even stranger thing is that the new Macan and possibly the new Cayman/Boxster have also adopted the same headlight shape from the new Taycan. I say strange, because this wasn't really supposed to be the shape of the headlight in the Taycan originally...the light itself was more of a squareish lozenge shape in an opening that has a sharp point on the inside corner. That motif has now become the headlight shape...and I don't think its particularly nice on the new Taycan nor Macan. It's kind of a weird direction for Porsche to go in, IMO, and it feels like a cost-cutting strategy somehow.

Last edited:
The facelifted Taycan certainly looks a bit less...unique I suppose? I will say I've gotten rather bored with Porsche's design as of late, especially with the Macan and Cayenne.

Another facelift that I'm unsure of.

2020 - 2024 Cadillac CT5 prefacelift (or 2022 - 2024 for the Blackwing)

Really like the design of the CT5 when it first came out and it still looks handsome to this day.
2024_cadillac_ct5_sedan_v-blackwing_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

2021-cadillac-ct5-mmp-1-1599080209.jpg

2025+ facelift doesn't look as cohesive (if that's the word).
2025_cadillac_ct5-v-blackwing_front_1280.jpg

2025-cadillac-ct5-front-three-quarters-6500b97f73e1a.jpg

Back