Azure's online game report

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 14 comments

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
United States
Figured I might as well post my progress and notes on races. Trying to do the game with the Vitz 1.5RS for most races, the MR2 GT-S for backup, and Celica GT-4 and Trueno for AWD and FR races, along with the 80's cup and what not.

Race of the day

Japanese series race in Amatuer level.

My car: Toyota Vitz 1.5 RS (Black) - all mods except lightweight 3
Compeition:
Honda NSX Type S Zero
Mazda RX-7 Type RZ
Toyota Supra RZ
Subaru WRX STi
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Race 1: Tokyo R246

Started out in 6th place. Everyone ran away at first, have more torque, RWD or AWD. At the first corner, I passed the VR-4 and STi with late braking. At the chicane, I braked early and cut in, taking a straigter line, and passing the FD and Supra. This left my chasing the NSX. Caught it on lap two at the first turn with late braking and got some space at the chicane. Screwed up on the left turn after the large sweeper turn, understeered, and went back to second. Spent the rest of lap 2 and 3 chasing it, only passing it in the final hairpin before the straight. Similar higher end acceleration with the gearing I had. Won by 0.090 seconds.

Race 2: Super Speedway

I actually did the qualifing here, as I would just be murdered off the line in the back. Still, the NSX smoked me off the line. I caught it at lap 2 in the first turn, and then we switched at lap 3 on the same turn. However, it consistenly went in too fast, and would lose time as a result. I won by 1.046 seconds.

Race 3: Apricot Hill

Started in the back. Caught the STi and VR-4 on the first turn cause of braking, again. Proceded to pass the other two at the big sweeper, leaving me behind the NSX again. Caught it alittle at the chicane, as it comes out from the turn leading into it a little wide. It pulled away on the straight a little, but I passed it cause of late braking. Just a matter of driving clean after that. Won by 1.863 seconds.

Race 4: Special Stage Route 11

Again at the back, caught the VR-4 at the first turn, and then the STi at the right left 90 degree turns. The Supra gave me hell... always would cut in front of me, and then would bounce off the barriers, into me, and cause me to slide. Reminded me why I use to do the quailfiers before - to get away from the pack and not deal with the "AI." Managed to pass the on the straight, and passed the RX-7 on the first turn of lap 2. Then it just came down to chasing the NSX... which I managed to pass at the middle chicane (the AI always smacks one of the walls) and working to stay ahead... almost caught me on the straight though. Won by 0.116 seconds.

Race 5: Tokyo R246 Reverse

6th place start, didn't pass the STi till the sharp left turns. At the chicane before the final turn, the AI seems to go in to the left part too fast, and then has issues bringing the car around for the right turn, so I was able to cut thru there and pass the Supra there. Passed the RX-7 at the last left turn, and caught the NSX on the straight (I noticed at later laps the AI screws up the exit, and kills its straight away speed) Nothing exciting afterwards, won by 2.230 seconds.

Overall, the Vitz excelled at the braking battles, able to brake much much later than the competition. I ran the races on T2 tires, cause I'm cheap (I use T2 tires for everything). The Vitz grows on me everytime I use it, and its probably making me a better driver in the game, by teaching me slower entry speeds and more grip racing.

Though, my Vitz is tuned so it rotates under braking quite well, and I find myself making a quick counter flick sometimes at exits to stablize the car. But its fast, and I like driving it.

More stories to come soon in this thread, probably from the MR2 this time.

Well, I'll maybe do a report on the novice GT championship, but thats a low level race.

Did the Pro FF race with the Vitz. Overall, very easy, even with the dreaded Beetle Cup Car, won the race it showed up in, Rome, by 18 seconds. Smoked the TRD Celica and what not, and I lapped lesser the other cars.

Nice one here. I might start one with the NSX not sure which version I am gonna use though or which track. I might start it around christmas time so I have some free time on hand.

Try the Super Auto Bacs APEX MR-S, @512 HP, it rocks 👍
I lost it at the 9th lap at the "drop", i can't seem to master the darn "drop" nor the last corner :banghead:

Ok, just did the American League series race on Amatuer level. My car - The Vitz 1.5 RS, everything but stage 3 weight reduction. The field - Shelby Cobra, Corvette ZO6, Camaro SS, Covette Grand Sport, Mustang SVT R.

Race 1 - Seattle
Started out at pole, cause I did the qualify round, having no idea how a Vitz would fair against a Cobra. The Cobra and Vettes smoked me off the line, but I caught up to the Vettes by the rail road tracks. The Cobra I chased for a bit longer, as it would just rip away on the uphill... but it was slower thru the chicanes and the tracks area, so I caught it there mostly on lap 2, it pulled away again a bit at the hill on lap 3, and I took first at the tracks, and won by 2.913 seconds.

Race 2 - Trial Mountain
Started at the back, now having some idea how I would fair. Caught the Mustang at the first tunnel, and worked by way to 3rd by the back the straight. Passed the ZO6 with late braking on the final left turn at the bottom of the hill. I passed the Cobra with late braking at the first tunnel, but it came back and smoked me on the back straight. I caught it again at lap 3, where the short uphill starts, and just drove clean from that point on. Won by 2.002 seconds.

Race 3 - Super Speedway
I figured it wouldn't matter if I started at pole or last, so I just went at it. Amazingly, I won by being faster in the corners, and not going in to them to fast. Was in 1st at the start of lap 3, and won by 1.334 seconds.

Race 4 - Seattle Reverse
Started in the back. Could not get around anything for the first lap, pulled up to 5th with a faster exit from the final hairpin, so I got that by the start of lap 2. Passed the Grand Sport at the switch back from the straigth after the tracks. Could not get pass the Camaro to save my life... it kept blocking my lines and bumping me when I would get near it. Eventually, on the third lap, I went in to the switch back way too fast, tried to pass it with late braking, and basically had to stop to turn the car. I got 5th place and the Cobra beat me by 5.763 seconds. I think the uphill section with the turns worked against the Vitz alot, being FF and underpowered. Additionally, my gearing was not setup low enough, I never hit 6th the whole time even.

Final Race - Laguna Seca
I dread this course, and having put the Cobra in a position where it could beat me in points if I screwed up, I decided to quailfiy, to play it safe. Took pole position, and started the race. Same start, with the ZO6 rocketing out in front, along with the Cobra. However, the Cobra AI cannot drive Seca at all, so I didn't worry about it. Caught the ZO6 with late braking at the corkscrew with late braking and a fast entry. Just drove clean the whole rest of the race. Won by 1.020 seconds.

Again, I am impressed with the Vitz. Mine now has over 400 miles on it, and I still have yet to do the Pro Vitz race. I think I'm gonna bring the MR2 out now some, and do the Euro race with it.

And Phony, using a race car like the Autobacs MR-S is like cheating. However, the drop you refer to is the FAMOUS corkscrew, and I have issues with it when I am in a MR car as well, has to do with the weight and knowing to stay on the gas to keep the car stable. The trick for the last turn is simplely braking well in advance, before you can really even see it.

I rember in an Elise race I won barely by like .1 seconds I was neck to neck with a Motor sports elise. It was fun makes me wanna play GT3 again but I cant I got a 5 page story thing to do. :( Wait WTF am I doing posting a reply here? I am supposed to be doing that darn thing :lol:

Ok, got my PS2 back, since I completed Metroid Prime 2 - Echoes.

Booted up and decided to do the Amatuer FR race.

Car of choice for the first 2 races - Trueno AE86
Full mods except Turbo (I am an NA fan) and riding on T2 tires.

Trial Mountain -
The FD was the only thing giving me real trouble. Did the qualification and got 2nd place for starting, was immediately passed the S2000 at the start, and then slowly preceded to close the gap between the FD and I. The 86 was extremely unforgiving if I lost speed anywhere, as the FD could pull away with power. I would gain the most time in the turns between the tunnels. I found the exit from the 2nd tunnel extremely important for the straight. I won by about 1 second (I ran the race yesterday, and didn;t have time to post, so :P )

Lugana Seca
Ok, this was a PAIN IN THE ASS at first. In the qualifying, I just got smoked over and over... so I kept fine tuning the car accordingly... like, 7 sessons worth. Eventually got a good layout, and probably just got more use to the course (I am not a fan of Seca). Got 2nd place for start, and again the S2000 shot out. I overtook at the first turn though under braking. The rest of the race was mostly me and the FD playing tag... I managed to be quicker though the corkscrew, but would suffer on the straights. I ended up winning by about 1.5 seconds.

Tokyo R246
Ok, I realized the 86 without a turbo could not compete cause this course favors big power cars. But also being the nutso purist I am.. I could not bring myself to turbo the 86... so I got out my Altezza RS200, tuned to about 320 HP. Medium drivetrain upgrades and full custom LSD. Qualified and took pole. Was mostly just a matter of staying ahead, and I won by 2 seconds. The RS200 ate the tires up alot quicker, since it is kinda portly <_<

Got a shiny S.S. Edition AE86 👍 which now replaces my standard 86 for my FR car.

I tend to only report races that present some sort of challange... Like, I just did the Altezza races... but I was winning by over 10 seconds... with a 6th place start... and not turbo tuning or even make NA tuning... so, whenever I have a tough challange, you shell hear. Figured posts like this "Started in teh back, over took all by turn 1, ran away, won by 15+" would be somewhat boring.

Ok, so I wanted to see how far I could take the Celica GT-4. Pro Level AWD anyone?

Moderately tuned Celica GT-4 - Full suspension and brakes, level 2 exhaust, port and polish, chip, stage 2 turbo, street intercooler, stage 2 weight reduction, VCD, T2 tires.

Dark Forest race way -
I ran the qualification because I needed to tune the suspension and LSD for the upgrades to power for the Stage 2 turbo. After fiddiling with the VCD and LSD, I managed to put down a 1'19.602 - pole position, by about .4 seconds.

My key opposistion was an R34 V-spec II... which proceded to destroy me at the start line. I chased it around till the double left turns right before the hill with the canyon on the right. I had taken a different line that gave me a faster exit, though I did have to pay attention, as the AI decided to cross over my line. Held 1st till the front straight... where it proceded to fly by me... literally, as it got air off the hill at the end of the straight. I managed to take a late braking line that let me line up for the exit sooner, and mash the gas. I kept up a good pace, but the understeer continued to grow with each lap, as my front tires wore down from my tuning to reduce the initial understeer the car has naturally. I pitted at the end of lap 7 with about a 25 second lead, as the other cars had pitted as well. I came out of the pits, and at the first time check, had a lead of about 6.5 seconds. However, I screwed up at the exit for the corners where I had first passed the R34... and lost alot of speed... my next time check had me leading by barely 4 seconds. Decided I needed to just drive conservatively and preserve my tires best I could. The R34 pitted at lap 12, giving me a large lead again.

Overall, a good race that made me focus the whole time. From what I could tell from time checks, the R34 simply overwhelmed me on the uphill straights with its superior torque. The lighter weight of the GT-4 allowed for faster corner entry, along with later braking and longer tire life. Still, I was impressed that I did not have to go to the maxium level of tuning for this level of racing.

I'll post up the other races as I do them, since they take a while, and I'm tired...

BTW, does anyone know how to reduce the rate at which the front tires wear, without inducing more understeer??

Ok, got the other races done, with the Laguna SECA being the only interesting one.

No SKyline this time, instead the 22B STi... for some reason I thought it would be slower... so I started in 6th... and proceded to have my ass handed to me for the whole race... I ended up maintaining the gap at like... 20 seconds. It pitted in towards the end, and I didn't. It let me win by a whole second :scared:

I was of course making lots of mistakes, as I hadn't bothered to run any warm up laps with the car on SECA, so I wasn't sure how to attack it. So I kept losing time in a little places.. and got angry at one point and just fubared it all. I was albe to cut the gap a little with nice laps.. but I could not be consistent enough to close it much. That, and the AI always seems to kick ass at Seca for the most part... the same can be seen in other series. Just look at the MR series, where the GT40 becomes a bad ass there...

Anyway, I won, barely.

Next up - the Pro Spider & Roadster races with an MR-S...

Ok, professional Spider & Roadster race. Bought a new Black MR-S from the dealer. Did all modifications except turbo. Changed oil and slapped on some T2 tires.

First race I did was Cote d'Azur
Did the qualification, and took pole position. Started the race in 2nd gear, full throttle... stil had some wheel spin, but not much. The Motorsport Elise jumps in front of me on the first hill... and I catch it at the top left turn. Maintain a small lead till the tunnel, where the Griffoth 500 passes me... and I then pass it at the little chicane at the end of that straight.

So I'm leading by a little at the end of lap two. The Griffoth gets right behind me on the hill climb. I maintain a faster downhill, though I almost spin on the super sharp hairpin from catching my front on the curb. The Griffoth passes me again at the tunnel, and I pass it again at the chicane. The AI has issues taking the first part for a good exit from the chicane, so it suffers there.

I maintain a nice lead till lap 8, where I pit in at the end. The MS Elise passes me while I am in the pits. Its only ahead of me by a few seconds when I get out of the pits... and I follow it till the chicane following the tunnel. I go in too fast, and have to completely stop in order to get out of it. That just murders my time, and the MS Elise jumps up to a 9~10 second lead.

I close the gap very slowly till lap 13, where its tires seem to be giving it issues, and mine are warmed back up again, and I've gotten back in my rhythm. It comes to lap 15, where it is only 2.5 seconds ahead of me now. I chase it all over... eventually catching it at the final chicane before the last hairpin (the hairpin that you go into the pits coming out of). This lets me win by a whole .634 seconds. A good race if you ask me, but mostly cause the MS Elise did not pit in, which surprised me.

Fastest lap - 1'43.133

Something I noticed is that the right turn just as the downhill section starts has a sweet spot. Just barely clip the curb, and if you are going in right, but then you barely need to turn in, and its surpisingly quick. Additionally, a combination of grip and speed drifts seems to work well here, espcially in a MR car. Trail braking is very useful for taking the hairpins as well.

Ok, next race - Trial Mountain

Qualify and take pole. Second gear launch, the Griffoth flys ahead of me. End up chasing it, with the gap slowly getting larger (I can't seem to be as fast as my qualify time). It pits at the end of lap 6, and from there on out, its just a matter of clean driving. The lightweight of the MR-S lets me preserve the tires. Finish with a lead of 12.425 seconds, with a fastest lap of 1'30.511.

The uphill sections and the back straight are where the Griffoth pulled away with its superior torque. I was much quicker than it through the turns between the tunnels.

Final Race - Grand Valley
Qualified and got 3rd position. Was having trouble, as the straights and what not give a large advantage to big power cars. I knew in advance that the Griffoth would have to pit in, as it had done in other races. The Motorsport Elise was also there, and it had me a little worried, as it didn't pit at Cote d'Azur. I knew I could run the race with out a pit, and still have decent tires at the end.

So I start off, in second. The ZZS jumps out in front of me, but I over take it at the first turn. Procede to pass the MS Elise at the first hairpin. Everything goes smoothly for the rest of the lap. Going into the left turn before the first tunnel on my second lap, I screw up and basically get stopped from something going wrong. The MS Elise passes me. I end up chasing it for more of the race. The Griffoth pits in at the end of lap 5, and the Elise and I blast on, creating a large lead. Had slowly been closing the gap with the Elise, and at lap 7, I passed it on the left turn right after the hairpin. It then passed me in the second tunnel, and I passed it in third tunnel. Passes me at the sharp left right section, and I pass it at the straight. Going into the first turn, neck and neck, it brakes late, and drifts off the track, into the sand. I get a 5 second lead over it. It pits in at the end of lap 9, much to my surprise. The Girffoth picks up its pace, and my tires are starting to go... The gap closes, but only to 4.512 seconds when I finish lap 10. Fastest lap was 1'59.861

The MS Elise seems to drift thru corners, as a result of late braking and too fast of entry. I saw it countersteering numerous times.

If anyone is curious, I will post the settings for my MR2. If I had put on the Turbo, this all would have been much easier I imagine... but PURIST... who needs turbos?? :sly:

New set of races for tonight...
Pro N/A Races in an S.S. Edition Trueno
Full tune, with T2 tires. Extensive work has been done with the suspension as I was running lots of laps on Trial Mountain with this car.

Apricot Hill
I qualify to get pole position. The Zonda C12 just smokes me off the line, takes off into the distance. I am able to stay in 2nd from the start. The gap is slowly closing by the start of lap 2. I dive into the first corner, over taking the C12 thanks to the light weight of the Trueno. Create a small gap till the turn right before the chicane. Catch the curb and almost spin out... the C12 blasts by me... only to be overtaken on the first turn of lap 3. My over take reminded me of Intial D... passing on the outside with a slight drift :sly:

From here on, I just drove cleanly, and the gap continued to grow. The C12 started to slow down some, as I believe its tires were starting to give. I gotten into a rhythm of grip and drift racing, trying to reduce my steering input, as the front tires wear down faster than the rear.

Win by 12.841 seconds. Fastest lap was 1'25.892

More to come later tonight... guessing R246 will be trouble... :scared:

Back