[What's left of GTR2Series] Final video available!

• Thread starter rallymorten
  • 1,422 comments
I'm still on the fence about this... nothing wrong against the GT1s, they were top dogs in the GT racing world for many decades, but I was expecting the Touring Cars to be in their shoes (is it too obvious that I really like Touring Car racing, especially when it's decently balanced?).

Someone said they were planning on running touring cars sometime in the autumn. If that doesn't happen, it might happen at some point after the GT1s.

Late edit: How does that Lister Storm template work, again?

Like it says in the "General guidelines..", the Lister has decided it wanted to be different. The body is actually in the Windows.

Someone said they were planning on running touring cars sometime in the autumn. If that doesn't happen, it might happen at some point after the GT1s.

So I've heard (or rather, read). I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one, but if it flops, be sure to cover the hole that opens afterwards, alright? You have a good head on your shoulders for that much, plus the mod doesn't break GTR2 like the GT3 did...

Like it says in the "General guidelines..", the Lister has decided it wanted to be different. The body is actually in the Windows.

Ah, so that's what you meant with that, fair enough. My dumb head was thinking about the whole .dds thing for reasons (dumb ones, probably)... :dunce:

But I have other ideas, I might field an Aston because James Bond and Pedro Lamy. Plus, I have a vision of my own for that DBR... one of those words may be emphasized in that last part.

Standings/entry list updated in the document, which has now been linked to in the actual OP.

If you know someone who may be interested, feel free to spread the word.

Performance-wise, I'd probably pick the Lister Storm over the Porsche 993. Both cars are fairly capable, if also quite old. Can't argue against the Lister having a Jaguar V12 lurking under the hood/bonnet. And don't forget- the Lister is a FRONT-engine car. Of course, you know what you're getting with a Porsche in terms of performance and capability.

So if I were you, if I were looking for something to live with among those two cars, I would probably go with the Lister Storm since I used it more in the GTR series than that Porsche. But man... it is a VERY tough decision picking between those two. Just trying to help...

Performance-wise, I'd probably pick the Lister Storm over the Porsche 993. Both cars are fairly capable, if also quite old. Can't argue against the Lister having a Jaguar V12 lurking under the hood/bonnet. And don't forget- the Lister is a FRONT-engine car. Of course, you know what you're getting with a Porsche in terms of performance and capability.

So if I were you, if I were looking for something to live with among those two cars, I would probably go with the Lister Storm since I used it more in the GTR series than that Porsche. But man... it is a VERY tough decision picking between those two. Just trying to help...
Heh, thanks John. Performance doesn't really matter to me, I'm choosing between those 2 because they were in Sportscar GT and that was my favourite game as a kid. I'm torn between remaking the Newcastle Lister or the Champion Porsche.

Oh, Sports Car GT (especially the PC version) is an all-time classic. Farthest I've gone was the the GT3 class because I didn't play the game too much. Only Porsches on the GT1 level are the amazing 911 GT1s. I don't think I used the Lister Storm in that game. Because blue and gold is my favorite color combination, I would probably make something similar to the blue and gold colors of Creation Autospotif. Or I'd probably do some other famous blue and gold machines (such as the Sunoco cars or NAPA). Thanks for mentioning Newcastle United, because I usually forget what Premier League team livery that is on that Lister Storm.

I was thinking about the touring car deal being mentioned. Surely anyone who knows of touring car racing know how competitive it is. Competition is fierce whether with low-powered cars or machines like in DTM or the V8 Supercars. So I am a bit surprised this probably didn't get as much steam and attention as the GT1 cars. Either one would be fine for a season.

If you were using the EEC GT3 mod mostly for the Season 2 RACE GT or the Season 3 GT3 World Series, I am now mostly officially done with this mod. I've had more confusion than fun trying to set everything up and enjoy it. Maybe I'll try to find some other combination of stuff if I want to try GT3-style racing. As an example of having to deal with issues with that mod, GTR2 crashed on me at least twice trying to play the game with some of the cars from the EEC GT3 mod. The only way I got to even use some of the cars was by downloading the base mod followed by getting either the Blancpain Endurance Series or the ADAC GT mods (I went with the Blancpain Endurance Series). Even then, I was still unable to accurately enjoy using this mod. So the entire EEC GT3 mod is now gone from my PC, and I can see the frustration of trying to get the mod to work especially on your end trying to make this former GT3 World Series work.

So whatever the next series will be, I hope Season 4 goes MUCH better than this past season and series.

Apart from the obvious lack of Bentleys, the EEC mod is great once you figure out how it works, which does involve creating your own classes. The big problem here was that it was just too "heavy" for the system at hand. If more than about 15 cars were in view at once, the framerate would drop to near-single figures. On the other hand, I can have at least 30 GTR2 cars in view and still have 30-or-more FPS.

Maybe one day, when I start making money from YouTube and can afford that Alienware*..

I'll also take a short moment to bring a reminder: if you want to enter a car, fill in the form. You can find it in the document that's linked to in the OP.
Speaking of the form, all 8 responses so far have a different vehicle listed, meaning that all manufacturers and all cars (except the 550) are represented.

*or some similarly overpowered PC

For comparison, I am using the FIA GT3 2011 mod for GTR2 featuring a lot less GT3 cars. Two of the more unique cars are not present- no Bentley... and no McLaren. I haven't tried putting a bunch of them on a track at once yet. There is a template pack for these cars to design your own machines. So maybe if you want to start another GT3 series, this one is pretty good even if it lacks some of the better GT3 cars. At least the EEC GT3 mod was flexible and had a good roster of cars. In the end, though, confusion and some questionable reliability lead to the EEC GT3's mod's downfall. I actually wouldn't recommend this mod it if people were to ask me about it based on my experience.

Take it straight from me, you don't want an Alienware. :lol:

Point is, I want a really 🤬 good laptop for reasons of gaming on the go.

Then again, who doesn't?

Currently, I see 9 people have put their names on the list. If we can't get that many more, I'll allow everyone to enter two (or maybe three) cars (they don't have to be from the same team). If there's still open spaces after that, I'm calling my old friends from Grid.

Point is, I want a really 🤬 good laptop for reasons of gaming on the go.

Then again, who doesn't?

Currently, I see 9 people have put their names on the list. If we can't get that many more, I'll allow everyone to enter two (or maybe three) cars (they don't have to be from the same team). If there's still open spaces after that, I'm calling my old friends from Grid.

I know I haven't signed up yet but that's because I'm having a tough time deciding on my car. So many interesting choices.

It had to come to this at some point, didn't it?

I quit. No matter what I try, it seems to only end one way these days. Maybe it's the game I chose to run these on, maybe it's because the cars aren't always 100% equal (that's actually a fair point), maybe it's because it's not all on ovals, I don't know. I think I've tried about everything I can possibly think of that wouldn't be too similar to what other people are doing, and so far, it feels like it's all been downhill. With the way things have gone, I can't be bothered trying to get something started only for the sake of doing something.

To the ten people beside me who put their names on the list for this, I salute you. And godspeed.

So... it's just no longer possible to hold a series on GTR2, is it? Is there an alternative route which involves rFactor? Seemingly no one else is thinking about that game here, so perhaps it's a good place to start over... We are not short on mods, so we can race in Noddy's goddamm car if it's the only working mod for a racing series.

I can't think of anything else to say at this point, so I will tell you to not give up. Rest to clear your mind if you must, but please don't give up right away...

It had to come to this at some point, didn't it?

I quit. No matter what I try, it seems to only end one way these days. Maybe it's the game I chose to run these on, maybe it's because the cars aren't always 100% equal (that's actually a fair point), maybe it's because it's not all on ovals, I don't know. I think I've tried about everything I can possibly think of that wouldn't be too similar to what other people are doing, and so far, it feels like it's all been downhill. With the way things have gone, I can't be bothered trying to get something started only for the sake of doing something.

To the ten people beside me who put their names on the list for this, I salute you. And godspeed.
I salute you, sir. This is the....fourth attempt?....to get things running the way you think they should, and you haven't disappeared on us in panic. If I had any access to the game I would help, believe me I would, but when this stuff starts falling off it really seems to fall off badly.

I believe you have done anything and everything to run this right, and for that I thank you.

LATER THOUGHT: You know options are great, but the Porsche Cup, at least in the surface, seemed to run the smoothest. If you are done entirely, you won't hear me moan about your decision, but if there's still a thought in that dank skull saying "maybe...", then perhaps a simple, straightforward approach again would do.

Last edited:
Having owned GTR2 for quite some time but only getting into the modding scene recently, I am only so experienced in trying to set up races and liveries. I've become more about GTR2 than rFactor because of the better handling of doing AI races. I am not sure which to go with even though I like GTR2's handling of such races. My only GTR2 problem is for someone who has so many ideas and visions, there aren't as many quality items for GTR2 like there are for rFactor. And whatever is out there for GTR2 mostly are on some suspicious websites or those that lead to suspicious websites.

Sorry you've had so many difficulties trying to get everything going smoothly. I do, however, commend you on not giving up. I do hope you find something that will eventually work. So keep at it.

GTR2 is a really great game...

...when the stars are aligned. You either nail it, or everything comes tumbling down. I would've raged quitted a long time ago, so props for doing the best you could.

So we are not doing a Land Shark one-make racing series this time around? Consider me extremely disappointed, Morten, I thought you could do better. :rolleyes:

Joke aside, it's good to see that you haven't given up altogether. It is ironic that in order for the series to regain its consistency, you had to go back to basics... While I am not the world's biggest 911 fan, count me in. I have never been in a Porsche Cup, B-Spec or not...

Here you go. For some reason, it wouldn't copy the entire thing in, so..

To be honest, I actually did consider pitching that idea of using actual cup cars but didn't want to add more to your plate then you were already handling. I do however love it though, it'll be easier on you, easier on everyone else when it comes to templates and a lot more races can be done.

Also, does this mean a new intro is needed? :mischievous:

Back