Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

what if someone completely different shows up and embarrass us both??!!
:lol:

P_20161224_200137.jpg

P_20161224_200443.jpg

I can improve, probably into the 1:05,6s. Look at the last lap I made, I was 1 tenth faster in all the sectors except the last one and ended up being only .010 slower...

Last edited:

"Meh."

"My Review of the Mazda Axela done, now I can talk about the Trans-Cammer Mustang"
Classic NASCAR-derived V-8 engine in a Mustang body with modern tires and chassis? This resto-mod might not be perfect, but I couldn't help but enjoy it despite its flaws. True, you have to drive the Trans-Cammer with caution, braking early and managing wheel-spin on corner exit, but driving it fast feels more rewarding than any GT-R I've ever piloted.

And yes, I can't talk about the Trans-Cammer without mentioning this memorable moment:

"GO AROUND THOSE WRECKS, DRIVE THROUGH IT!!!"

*Cue Epic Hans Zimmer Soundtrack Here.*

But as epic as it was to lead on a circle track in the guise of the Silver Fox, no Hollywood ending was in store on the high banks of Motegi, as sticking to the Sports Soft compound forced me into a losing two-stop strategy where I barely managed a Top 5 finish.

In spite of that, I came away believing that this Mustang was best.....wait, second best Mustang. The Shelby GT350, I still like that one more. But it's still a good accomplishment. Neither Beater nor Sleeper, a car that does more well than it does poorly.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to you all!

Last edited:
Okay, so better let everyone know what we're racing in tonight... Pretty sure McClarenDesign said it was @Vic Reign93 who got to choose, but if I'm wrong, forgive me..

It's the 2011 Jaguar XKR-S!!!!!
546b711d800b9_-_2012-jaguar-xkr-s-6-lg.jpg

@McClarenDesign's live on Twitch right now, celebrating 3 years of this wonderful club! Come join in the chat! Or, if you can't be bothered typing, then join in the discussion on Discord! :) Nominees for various Car Of The Year awards are being revealed gradually, as the day goes on...
I'll also set up a Playing With TT's somewhere at Silverstone. See you guys tonight! :D

Happy new year, all! I'm lucky enough to be among the first in the world to kill 2016 ;)

Been a hectic week of work, but tomorrow I'll finally have time to do my review, pics and get the next week's car posted! :D

Edit: 2016 is now dead over here!!!!

Last edited:
Well it's the end of another year and what a year it was. :crazy:

History was made for better and for worse and so many shocks that you could write up an officer for "excessive tasering". :D

But I digress.

So let's wrap up COTW 2016 with the last 2 cars of this year, the '06 Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP and the 2011 Jaguar XKR-S. 👍

We'll start with the Skyline, Normally when you think Skyline you think, Twin Turbo Inline 6 with 4wd dominating racing tracks all over the world or even the JDM Icons from the early 70's where the GT-R models for Nissan began.

What you don't first think of when the Skyline name is mentioned is V6, 4 doors and automatic gearbox all on one car. :dunce:

But sadly after the R34 went out of production in the early 2000's, the Skyline name went on to be used on the same car they were selling in the USA for the Japanese market, The Infiniti G platform.

Using the same 3.5 litre VQ V6 as the 350Z and later the 370Z, The Skyline Sedan 350GT made 310hp from the factory sent through a 5 speed automatic and hauling 1,610kgs.

It didn't exactly excite me from the start with alot of understeer and feeling heavy in the steering, but after decreasing grip on the rear, it became much more enjoyable to drive. :)

To it's credit, it did deliver some damn close racing, especially at Nismo's favourite stomping grounds, Mount Panorama. :D

Despite the CH tyres I was on at the time, I made damn sure I wasn't going to just give the place away.

All in all, wouldn't call it a sleeper, but it's no Beater either despite my early skepticism. ;)

Verdict: Neutral

Now on to the Big Cat.

The Jaguar XKR-S is packing both more weight and more power at 1,810kgs and over 550hp after an oil change respectively.

That power comes courtesy of a supercharged 5.0 V8 and it makes an absolute racket, definitely one of the better engine sounds in GT6. :drool:

Handling was also a tad heavy due to its weight, but not catastrophic like the Fiat or Vectra.

Also produced some good racing on race night as well as some minor earthquakes with the combined noise from all the cars.:lol:

Again, Not a sleeper, but definitely no Beater.

Verdict: Neutral ( Pick one up for just the noise at least. :P)

And Here's to COTW 2017 being even better, happy new year people. :cheers:

Last edited:
Old Dog, New Tricks.

15747614_388012921538672_8975409756372784894_n.jpg

Like Infiniti before it, Jaguar also fell victim to the quest for the younger demographic. They started making smarter, smaller cars, outside of the old-fashioned, big sedans and coupes they made once before. However, while they smartened up their business outlook, Jaguar kept this air of "pompous Brit" about them, with gorgeous good looks and old-fashioned luxury abound. The trick did seem to work somewhat, as Jaguars are selling stronger than ever...giving them the means to go crazy sometimes...crazy, like this XKR-S.

The formula for the R-S was simple. Take the already popular and gorgeous XKR and turn it up to 11. This meant drastic efforts in lightening and firming up the old dowager, and stuffing some extra power...now up to 542 bhp over the standard XKR's 503. Not a huge upgrade, but it's decent, nevertheless. The idea was to make the XKR a track-ready supercar...and while the jury's still out on whether it worked, I did get to throw my thoughts in the ring. Let's see what we've got.

15747701_388011544872143_3183456262833595244_n.jpg

First Thoughts

When approaching the XKR-S, you get a cold feeling of fear that runs down your spine. Your brain begs you to bend and bow to this outrageous cat's will. But when you get over that and really put your eyes on the machine you get a sense of...pleasure...and familiarity. There is beauty here, graceful curves make up the most of the body, with wide, birthing hips, and gorgeous attention to detail. But as you look closer, the R-S's additions start to stick out. A wide spoiler more befitting of a Subaru WRX, vents that seem better at home on a Corvette. Some people could call it sacrilege, others would find it beautiful. I'm somewhere in the middle.

123153d1450626699-replacement-interior-trim-image.jpeg

Inside, it's about much of the same, really. Familiar, yet with little touches to show you that this is no regular XK. For instance, where wood trimming would be abound on the base model, you now have pano black veneer, waiting for you to leave your DNA imprint on it, and in front of the passenger seat, a large, "R-S," logo to remind you of all the money you've spent. But, it's all quite tasteful, really. Quite...elegant.

15823222_388011491538815_7038984122155098029_n.jpg

But beauty's only one thing, right? What Jaguar really wanted to know is whether or not this thing could drive well. So, let's pack up, and move it to the track.

The Test

15726921_388013064871991_5577166001518346427_n.jpg

First and foremost, allow me to say that the supercharged, eight cylinder behemoth under the long, slender hood of this machine really does it some good. In fact, it's the most outstanding piece of it. Step on the throttle, and a nice throaty sound will push you to 60 immediately, and it'll keep on going to an estimated 185 mph. Jaguar has always had a thing for making mind-boggling, jawdropping engines, whether unreliable or not, and this V8 really shows that that spirit is still alive and well. This power surged me onto the first banking corner of the track, where the Jaguar sat comfortably as it climbed to speed.

15823030_388012778205353_7227171582177066256_n.jpg

Cornering is quite different, however. This Jaguar, honestly, I don't think it knows what it wants to do as it approaches a turn. One way will send you into the dirt, as the heaviness of the car makes it understeer worse than the Queen Mary II. Another way will send you into a tail slide that could make a Tofu delivery boy jealous, as the immense power and torque send the rear wheels into a tizzy. You really have to be gentile and know what you're doing to get this thing through a corner without going one way or the other.

15780853_388012061538758_8267164224911292826_n.jpg

Honestly, it's kinda hit and miss with this thing and driving. You have to be really gentile in the corners to make sure it doesn't kill you, but then you can be free on the straights like a madman with no business at all. It builds up your expectations and then dashes them completely. The only thing I could even remotely compare this car to is a Viper, or maybe the old Aston Martin Vantage from the 90s. Crazy, but with class.

15781138_388012548205376_533687792414669699_n.jpg

The Verdict

You know, I'm honestly torn on this thing. I like Jags, through and through. They're gorgeous, powerful, and classy, and this is no exception. But it's just too two-faced. I will say one thing though, it shines, absolutely gleams on straights and big, broad corners, like the bankings on my track. So, if you want an Autobahn-storming coupe, this is the car for you...but I can't quite say it's the track-monster that Jaguar wanted it to be. I'm going to give it a Neutral and I may come back to it at a future time.

But honestly, if you wanted a straight-line speed machine that's British, why not just forgo the "S" designation and buy a regular XKR, or dip into the used market...that's what I did.

15781294_388011364872161_3022915129737328758_n.jpg

Also, Happy New Year, my friends! I may or may not have been intoxicated while writing this. You decide.

Here, kitty kitty....
A growling, purring Jag that bites!
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s.jpg

My first impressions of the Jag XKR-S were pretty good. Here was a beautiful orange sports car ready to be hurled around the track at race pace, yet at the same time it looked like the sort of car I could cruise down to Pokeno in for an ice cream. I could drag race someone at the traffic lights, but I could also arrive at the Skycity Grand Hotel in total elegance and class. I could drive it to the track listening to Six60, set a mind numbing lap time, and drive home listening to Flight of the Conchords. So I was quite excited to see how it would do in Gran Turismo!!!

First of all, the XKR-S is the top of the range 2nd gen XK. So what are the differences between it and its cousin, the XKR Coupe? Well visually, it's lower. It also has larger front air scoops for extra brake cooling, as well as two extra scoops just below the hood. A larger rear wing replaces the normal boot lip seen on the XKR, and carbon fiber can be seen all over the XR-S, such as on the front splitter and rear wing.

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_2.jpg City of Arts and Sciences - Night_1.jpg City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

Now as far as performance differences, the XKR is limited to 174 mph. The XKR-S though, with 40 more bhp, can blast past it doing 186 mph. The extra power also trims down the XKR-S's 0-60 time to just 4.4 seconds, which makes it the fastest Jag ever after the XJ220. Funnily enough, despite the XKR-S clearly being kitted out with carbon fiber here and there, both cars weigh in at 1810 kg!

But enough about visuals and stats, driving it really was something else!
Off the line, it will do a nice quick burnout before pouncing into action, and at speed it feels remarkably stable despite having no TCS or ASM. It doesn't feel 1800 kg at all, and was extremely maneuverable, able to dart around the track without the fear of spinning and going out in a ploom of smoke.

I think we're all in agreement that this is one of the better sounding V8s in GT6. It growls with power, and is one of those cars you never want to put a different exhaust on, because if you do it will sound like a turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_1.jpg

Close, fierce racing the entire meeting!

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_3.jpg

Baron giving chase in his SpecV!

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_4.jpg

4WD naturally makes him want to rallycross!

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_5.jpg

Such a sporty looking rear end, I love it!

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_2.jpg

Vic reaches the bottom of the Corkscrew

I really like this car, it's got good looks, excellent driving feel and an elegance you can only find in a British car. Sleeper!!!

I'll post again soon with the next car!

Some more pics
High Speed Ring_1.jpg
High Speed Ring_3.jpg
High Speed Ring_2.jpg
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so the first car for this year goes to @McClarenDesign!!!! Because leadership perks. He can pick whenever he likes.

Too much ugly in 2016. We need a fresh start with a palette cleanser for both the eyes and the soul. Therefore, I choose...
Alfa-Romeo-Guilia-GTA-0-1600x1065.jpg

It's the 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600!

"Too much ugly in 2016...." and he goes and picks this? :lol:

This week's Playing With TT's is once again on the backup club, in the late-night streets of Clubman Stage R5. As for COTY nominations and all that.... well, I don't know what's going on, I thought that McD would have announced all the categories on this forum already so we could be voting or something, but then I haven't been around for a COTY before.

Actually, last year's COTY meeting in the Z cars was the first time I ever raced in this club, and even then that was just to see what the communtiy was like, I actually consider my first proper meeting with you guys to be when we reviewed the RUF 3400S. Damn, a year ago already?! Time is seriously flying...

Well, my semi-late verdict on the Jag is that it's a beater. Some of that has to do with my difficulty with throttle control and its propensity to want to swap ends when pushed too hard, but it just wasn't all that much fun. Braking is poor, and I have to agree with @CaddyKOP , it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. However, we had a 600p tuned event on SS tires Saturday, and that was a hoot. The Jag performs quite admirably with appropriate modifictions, but that's not the objective here.

My pre-emptive verdict on the Giulia is sleeper. I love this little car!

3 years in, 200 pages and counting... it's pretty astounding if you sit back and think about it. An expansion of what was a weekly affair into a twice a week racing meet. We've seen quite a number of people come and go, and yet we still have an impressive core group.

I've said it before... I just show up and I'm lucky enough that you people keep letting me come back. I really can't see myself looking elsewhere because simply put, I'm damn near addicted to what was a good idea back in the GT5 days, and what has become a ritual in my life since GT6 was released.

3 years... nuts how fast it has gone by. More than likely, we'll have the better part of 2017 to review even more victims. What's even more nuts is the fact that even if we do get 4 full years in, we'll still not hit the quarter of the way mark of what's available to review.

Congrats to all of us... way too many people to mention in one sitting. We all have had a hand of making this successful, let alone enduring. I doubt @McClarenDesign would have pictured it doing so well. I thank you all for making this a part of my being... hopefully we will see more years to come, as this idea moves on to GT Sport and beyond.

Best wishes for 2017 people... we'll all be Racing at the Speed of Life in even more cars. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Cheers

Last edited:
This week's Playing With TT's is once again on the backup club, in the late-night streets of Clubman Stage R5. As for COTY nominations and all that.... well, I don't know what's going on, I thought that McD would have announced all the categories on this forum already so we could be voting or something, but then I haven't been around for a COTY before.

Yeah, usually the votes have already been called for and tallied by this time. I had almost gone ahead and sent a ballot based on last year's categories in case I'd missed something from the livestream last Tuesday (when I was stuck at work and couldn't join in.)

Ciao, bellissimo.

15823514_389119171428047_666464358556805032_n.jpg

While Alfa Romeo is currently trying to get its **** together and put its newest sports sedan out on the market, there was once a time where Alfa Romeo ranked amongst the likes of Ferrari and Maserati on the sheer presence of Italian beauty and grace. They won races left and right, produced beautiful machines for the every day man, and even got lots of star power in the movies (with or without the obligatory Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack). One of the most memorable of these old-fashioned Alfas was the 105 Series Giulia Coupes, particularly, this 1966 Giulia 1600 Sprint GTA, a lightweight, sports version of the regular model built for homologation on the racing circuit.

15826146_389119331428031_7094797518213651076_n.jpg

First Thoughts

This thing...well, it's absolutely beautiful. When you approach it, you have to take a kneel out of respect, knowing exactly what it was built for, and what it can do. Then, your eyes start to follow those curves. Gracious, beautiful curves in a small, fun-size package. For what was considered the everyman car of the brand, it's amazing just how good looking this car is. It's something you can't argue with with the Italians, they know how to build a gorgeous machine. Not even the humongous Quadrifoglio cloverleaf insignias can ruin the look. It's near-perfect.

15826885_389119241428040_2530500314352938511_n.jpg

There's not much else you can really say. The interior doesn't matter on this thing. You just have to appreciate what this car is and how it presents itself. I know I can't get enough of it.

15822560_389118808094750_6428368516256580544_n.jpg

The Test

So, on the track with this fine machine. Remember that this thing was bred to race. There's a lot to expect and a lot to be surprised by. Enough small talk. Let's get to it.

As I pulled the Alfa onto the track, one thing I noticed first. The engine sound was glorious. That's one thing that's always intrigued me about Alfa Romeo, no matter the engine, no matter the application, it always seems to sound good, and the Giulia is no different. However, on the giant banks and speedway, you don't get much for speed. With that being said, you can't fault it for that. The twin-cam engine only produces about 113 bhp, about the same as a first-generation MX-5. If you're expecting speed, you're in the wrong car, buddy.

15894623_389118941428070_6900734391645536334_n.jpg

But that low power really doesn't matter when you take the car's weight into consideration: 1640 lbs. That's less than the aforementioned MX-5. So, naturally, you'd assume this thing is a blast in the twisties, and you're correct to do so. This small Alfa is an absolute blast to drive on a complicated stretch of track. It's flat and free-willed, not taking too much effort in being tail happy or going in nose first. It's very similar to an MX-5, and yet, it feels better, more natural.

15826717_389118964761401_1887486217298848031_n.jpg

In fact, I had such a blast with this thing that one lap wouldn't cut it, I had to go on for another...then another...you get the point. And I managed to push out a lap time of 2:10.479, which seems rather slow for what is, but I don't care. I love this car.

Beater v. Sleeper Indy Track Times
1. Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) ’73 – 2:08.861
2. Nissan Skyline Hard Top 2000GT-R (KPGC10) ’70 – 2:09.756
3. Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 ’65 – 2:10.479
4. Nissan Skyline 2000GT-B (SS4B) ’67 – 2:16.148

15823703_389118768094754_2763948970716886072_n.jpg

The Verdict

If you really haven't figured this out now, then I don't know what's wrong with you. But this is definitely a sleeper. I've not had this much fun with a car to review in a long time, and it's such a bright way to start off a new year. I'm keeping this car for the future, and I'll definitely be putting it to good use in races to come. What an amazing machine.

15823081_389119778094653_3028737579527146782_n.jpg

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "Make that kitty purr while you're" Playing with TT's event...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:19.116
G_ASHER: 2:20.804
kunalpradhan5431: 2:22.480
thematic604: 2:25.325

I found this one frustrating, but at the same time a learning experience... depending on the track conditions, I had a range of over 10 seconds from my best to worst results.

Cheers

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back