Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Happy birthday to our very own drift king @Vic Reign93!!!!
I wondered what to do to commemorate this occasion, and I figured what could be more British than an Aston Martin drifting round London?! :lol:

Have a good one mate! :cheers:

London.jpg
London_1.jpg
London_4.jpg
London_5.jpg
London_2.jpg
London_3.jpg

The First Supercar???

7rPuUxm.jpg

Back in the days where Lamborghini was still Lamborghini, the Bertone designed Miura was born. With a chassis made from Dallara himself, it was destined for greatness from the ground up. With a 4 litre V12 engine, this was the car to make the fledgling company world famous.

Personally, I think the car is stunning... it is simply gorgeous. In my humble opinion, it is one of the best looking cars ever made... let alone one of Lamborghini's best. As a child, I was lucky enough to see one in the flesh, and stared at her for hours... taking in every detail deep into my memory. It is the reason why I've painted my GT6 version silver.

Whether or not the feelings that were evoked from that first meeting have biased my opinion, there is no way in hell I could ever call this car a Beater. I enjoy the way it handles in the virtual world. Yes, it can be challenging at times, but for me that adds to the allure... you have to control the beast, as it simply cannot be tamed. She is a weapon, and if used properly, it will slay any monster it faces.

Worth every penny, it is yet another MUST have... you don't need to be a car guy to appreciate her. It is used enough in the world of Gran Turismo racing to make the reasoning obvious. And for those good reasons... Sleeper and a Keeper!!!

Cheers

Happy birthday Vic. I was going to make a tribute video but I haven't been home all day. I've been getting another impromptu undercover peak at what my wife and I do for a living, and not in the fun way.

This week is the '93 mx-5 (J). I'll do the links and stuff after I've had a chance to get home, eat and calm down.

On the only plus side, we waltzed into triage to a tune from The Offspring. If ya gotta go, might as well do it in a mosh pit.

This week is the '93 mx-5 (J).

Question One: Which '93 Miata? There's only at least half a dozen of them in this game....and they're all standard models. Which leads me to....

Question Two: If you're going to pick a first gen Miata, why not pick the lovingly detailed '89 Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) rather than yet another GT4 port-over? :crazy:

Another hectic week, so sorry guys, but here's a not-quite-as-thorough-as-I'd-have-liked review...

The original raging bull!

Syracuse - Night_1.jpg

Ah, the Miura. Here we have another example of a car that, had it not been for this club, I would have never bought, or driven, or even really given a second glance. It's very expensive, very old, and although I do quite enjoy a good Lambo every so often, I've never really had that burning urge to drive it.

But now that I have one, let's look into it a little!

Firstly, it's a rear wheel drive. In all honesty, I reckon all Lamborghinis would have been rear wheel drive if Audi hadn't stepped into the picture. I mean, the Diablo was downright dangerous, so you can see why they did that. But still, can you imagine flying through turns in a rear wheel drive Sesto Elemento? Or a Veneno?

Anyways, as I was saying, it's rear wheel drive. Combine that with the 50 year old suspension and you get a pretty spongy handling package, especially with no ASM... :ill:

Mid-Field Raceway_6.jpg

Even a rare, highly sought after supercar prototype can't escape a good ol' slide..

The race at Mid-Field was a real eye opener as to how quickly this car can go from calm classic to raw and raging. I started in the middle, and as we neared the first corner I began wondering how I might break past the pack.

Mid-Field Raceway.jpg

But as we hit that first apex, my question was answered for me...

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_2.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_3.jpg

Well then... I suppose all that's left now is to catch Vic!

The entire meetup was full of spins, crashes and people going off track. In fact, I don't think anyone made it through the night unscathed! The Miura really demanded quick steering, even quicker counter-oversteer measures and careful throttle response. It has a beautiful launch, with only a short burnout before it's racing off into the sunset. The acceleration isn't amazing, but respectable given the age of the ol' vessel, and, despite having a tenancy to bite you when you really push it, it's surprisingly drivable.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_4.jpg
Special Stage Route X_1.jpg

Visually, it's charm hasn't faded over the years. It's only avaliable from the dealer in one, non collectable paint chip, so make sure you really want a different colour before making the change. You can change wheels, and there are some wings avaliable, but I didn't look to see if there were any custom dials or aero kits or anything.

It's not a great car by modern standards, but given the age and charm it manages to hold onto as Lamborghini's first supercar, it's hard to fault given the circumstances. A sleeper 👍

Question One: Which '93 Miata? There's only at least half a dozen of them in this game....and they're all standard models. Which leads me to....

Question Two: If you're going to pick a first gen Miata, why not pick the lovingly detailed '89 Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) rather than yet another GT4 port-over? :crazy:
It's not like there's a huge difference in PP between them... pick one and go with it! Alternatively, buy them all and go with the one that has the best looking stripe option! :D

Thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday, ''twas greatly appreciated. :)👍

Better clear up the confusion regarding this weeks pick, the exact model I was gifted was the '93 MX-5 J Limited II (NA, J), But as @Nismonath5 said there isn't a absolutely major difference between them so buy any one you like that's around the same PP and be done with it. :P

Having cleared that up, Time to play catch up with cars that are in more ways than one from our past. :sly:

We'll start with the highway cruiser of the two, The 1954 Chevrolet Corvette C1 Convertible.

Under the classic body and powering the rear whitewall tyres is a 3.9 litre Inline 6 making around 150hp and that is sent through a 2 speed powerglide automatic.

Weighing just over 1300kgs and with it's top speed at just over 100mph, the Vette isn't exactly a rocket ship.

Handling isn't all that great either, with a focus on comfort than handling it does wallow and understeer through the turns.

Of course it's biggest achilles heel is the powerglide gearbox, yes it's set up for cruising but it's just hopeless everywhere else. Jack brought out a BMW 507 and beat it, Baron brought out the PT cruiser and it too ran away from the Vette, all because they had more gears to work with. :crazy:

Even when I turned up the wick on the Vette, it died on its arse at Tsukuba because the old chassis was too soft in the corners to accommodate the upgraded parts like the differential, suspension and the extra power.

So as a track car, it's hopeless, but if you tune it for torque, keep the suspension soft and the powerglide gearbox in, it'll make a brilliant car for the Criusing lobbies you see about.

But as it is, it's a Beater.👎

Moving on to THE car that's etched into supercar lore, the car that nearly always gets brought up when you talk of classic supercars, It's the 1967 Lamborghini Miura. :cheers:

But not just any Miura either, it's the P400 Bertone Prototype, one of supposedly 3 Prototypes that were built between the announcement at the Geneva Motor Show and the eventual production of the Miura.

By itself it's a Icon, But because of the weight difference between prototype and production models, the Miura we have is a menace in 550pp lobbies.

Production Miura's are quoted at 1292kgs whilst the Prototype doesn't even touch a tonne at 980kgs. :eek:

Such a difference in weight combined with the 3.9 litre ( 2 weeks straight with the same displacement.) V12 engine did make handling abit on the knife edge side as many found out to their cost on race night.

Horsepower? About Tree Fiddy. :lol: (350)

Major drawbacks? It's not one for peasants at 15 million credits to buy and it's not one for full blown audiophiles either as whilst it does sound relatively V12ish, its nowhere near what a proper Miura sounds like. :D

But overall, I came away from the Miura smiling and satisfied. ;)

And yes before you say it, That is indeed what she said. :lol:

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

The Cure for Common

*real story

16939524_420801651593132_3865703803348336825_n.jpg

Silence rang through my ears like a train as the death of my grandmother became apparent to me. My mom cried over her shoulder. Hours passes and I finally broke away from the hospital, made my way to my Subaru and just drove...until I got home. Silence didn't seem to pass however. I knew things had changed.*

Some time had passed before I finally got the urge to check what was going on in the outside world. I missed tons of emails and work messages as the week passed by. Apparently I had an opportunity to drive a Miura, but I didn't want to drive a Miura. You don't cope with a Miura. You need something that gives you a lasting impression. A game-changer.

*ding*

Message received: New Car for this Week - 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

17021912_420801534926477_3534264401730434257_n.jpg

The Miata is legendary. Ever since its 1989 inception, this little roadster has wiggled its way into the hearts of millions, and is still one of the final renditions of the classic FR roadster. I admit, I was skeptic at first...until I got my first go in one many years ago, and I was changed. My blue NA is one of my favorite parts of the garage.

17022049_420801744926456_5801396907496261675_n.jpg

My Miata, attacking a track event at Willow Springs.

And this is a car that you can cope with. A Miata has never knowingly hurt anybody, it doesn't judge, it doesn't make you feel anything less than happy. The lightweight and perfectly proportioned ratio can turn any amateur into a superstar on the road, a feat it has been acing for over 25 years now. And I get to review it...excuse my bias, please.

17021880_420801261593171_4002416461301751230_n.jpg

What is it about the NA Miata that makes it so adored? Is it that aforementioned perfection of engineering? Is it the easy cost of ownership? Is it those soft lines that evoke a feeling of friendliness? Let's find out.

The Test
17103515_420801854926445_4128887519390867382_n.jpg

When you go to a track day, that's when you really notice it. Everywhere, you see friendly smiles and wide eyes, and they're not from fellow enthusiasts...they're from the cars they drive. The Miata is one of the most tracked cars in history, and it all goes back to those whys I talked about a second ago. And it becomes even more troubling when you drive a Miata on the straights. It feels fast, but it isn't fast. Those in the know must be thinking I'm crazy, but those who don't...hear me out. While the Miata may have a struggle against everyone else on a long road, its party trick is when the corners come...

17022164_420801461593151_2780939327640593360_n.jpg

When you find yourself approaching the corner with little to no brakes, and you flick that wheel in, and feel that perfect distribution flawlessly pilot the little thing through, that's when you realize why. The Miata takes corners like a champion. If driving perfection was a car, it's this. The way this thing corners is just too good. Immediate response, no backtalk. Just endless driving fun.

16999191_420801401593157_2441874396245576659_n.jpg

And yes, I know, there are other cars in the world that can make you smile. E39 M5s, Cadillac ATS-Vs, all fantastic and beautiful and such good fun. But you can't underestimate the MX-5. Challengers may come and go, but the little roadster that could will always prevail and have its place in this world and on the track. I'm going to take another spin.

The Verdict

17021592_420800101593287_7313640233826561204_n.jpg

Giving the MX-5 a sleeper rating based on how it drives alone is almost cheating, so I'm going to give it a different criteria. Did the little machine manage to bring a smile to my face after much trial and tribulation that I've seen in recent times. The simple answer is yes. The MX-5 is everything that a sports car should be...and more. If there's anyone out there who still doubts what the roadster can do...please, allow yourself the pleasure. It'll change your life, forever.

16938961_420800274926603_451238870203675962_n.jpg

Amazing Miata!
....or MX-5, if you're not American...
Eifel Flat.jpg

Cute and not very intimidating, but it'll still burn some rubber!!!!

Ah, the 1st gen MX-5. If you haven't driven one of these on a racing sim before, then what the hell have you been playing??? Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a proper racing sim without one of these roadsters in the lineup! And it's easy to see why! Here's a small, light, manouverable pocket rocket, with buckets of tuning potential!

There are over half a dozen variants of the 1st gen MX-5 in GT6. V Special, S Special, J Limited, J Limited II, the list goes on. What is the difference between the models? Good question, because I'd sure like to know the answer! As far as I see it, there are three main models of the 1st gen...

Syracuse.jpg

The stock model

Syracuse_1.jpg

The "Tuned by you" special

Syracuse_2.jpg

And the "GT Original purpose-built racecar"

When you split it into these three, it really clears things up! :D

Also, something else noteworthy. 99% of the 1st gens are labelled as simplified. But the thing is, for a simplified vehicle, it's extrememly well-rendered! It has a detailed body, working reverse lights, and pop up headlight animations, (Which only work in photo mode)! In fact, the lack of an interior is the only thing keeping these variants from being detailed! If only all the simplified cars could be this visually appealing... (I'm looking at you, Peugeot 206 Rally car and Lamborghini Diablo GT-1!)

Autumn Ring.jpg
Autumn Ring_1.jpg
Autumn Ring_2.jpg

I must say, I was really impressed with how the MX-5 handled overall. It was one of those cars I feared would handle too well, like the LCC Rocket, but it was pleasant to drive. And as a result, the quality of the racing was amazing! In fact, I was almost going to ask you guys if y'all wanted to meet up the next day as well, because I wanted some more action! (I would join in tomorrow, but work. :()

The MX-5 showed no real oversteer problems even without ASM, mainly because of the perfect 50:50 weight split and lack of power with which to smoke the rears. In fact, it's the most well behaved car I've driven that's actually fun to drive! When I say well behaved, I mean it never smoked the tyres off the line, it never betrayed me through a high speed corner, and never spun out around a tight corner. At the same time it was fast and lively enough to make me want to drive it again! 👍

Then there's the not-so-secret stripes... Which is the reason I ended up buying fourteen MX-5s just to see which stripe I liked better :lol: Way to get people buying your cars, Mazda!

Autumn Ring_3.jpg

Ash cam

Côte d'Azur_2.jpg

A bit of a dirty overtake there from Rob.

Now granted, it doesn't look in any way intimidating. It's vey much a hairdresser's car. So if you're after a car that looks mean and aggressive, then keep saving up your money until you can afford an FD RX-7. Or an Evo 4. Or an S14 Silvia. But still, looks can be deceiving, right? I'll just leave this here...

Mid-Field Raceway_2 (5).jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_3 (2).jpg

The 1st gen, on top of it's amazing handling and driving feel, also has a monumental top speed. Not 200km/h. Not 300km/h. Not even 400km/h, oh no, that's a mere cruise in comparison! Try 600, nearly 700km/h...
Here's the proof!

See, I'm technically right!

Overall, I'm not exactly a serious MX-5 fan, but I like what it can do, and like to throw mine about every once in a while! Sex on wheels it ain't, but that's part of it's appeal! It's a textbook sleeper! 👍

Last edited:
The MX-5 will always hold a special place in my heart, because January 2010 marked the first time I drove and bought a first-gen in real life. I was 25 and wasn't entirely sure why I wanted this car, but we do lots of things in life without knowing why sometimes, right? Man was that car cramped. The first time you sit in one, you say to yourself that it can't be a real car, it's just too small. But after some time behind the wheel, you fall in love. I don't know how anyone could not enjoy driving these cars. I sold that car in 2015 and have missed it like crazy since.

I haven't tested the J-Limited, but I do have another standard MX-5 that I can use for this...

Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89
1.6L
117 hp / 6,500 rpm
101 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
940 kg (2,072 lbs)
353 pp

Mazda is not my favorite engine builder of the Japanese companies. That would be Honda. They could make a 1.6L mill churn 160+ hp with ease. But as far as the rest of the car goes, it's excellent. Classic FR layout with near-perfect weight distribution.

108 mph on the straight.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:34.241 - 364 - Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) '78
1:34.243 - 383 - Citroën Xantia 3.0i V6 Exclusive '00
1:34.249 - 362 - Nissan Silvia Q's (S13) '91
1:34.329 - 375 - Renault Avantime '02
1:34.334 - 361 - Peugeot 206 CC '01
1:34.338 - 357 - Mazda Roadster 1600 NR-A (NB) '04
1:34.422 - 357 - Peugeot 106 S16 '03
1:34.488 - 357 - Toyota Prius G '09
1:34.576 - 373 - Honda S800 RSC '68
1:34.661 - 359 - Nissan Silvia Q's (S13) '88
1:34.673 - 362 - BMW 507 '57
1:34.708 - 362 - Volkswagen Golf IV GTI '01
1:34.732 - 353 - Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89
1:34.741 - 359 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86) '83
1:34.755 - 355 - Nissan Bluebird Rally Car (510) '69
1:34.825 - 354 - Suzuki Swift Sport '05
1:34.836 - 357 - Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 Twin Spark '06
1:34.843 - 358 - Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89
1:34.864 - 398 - Lotus Elan S1 '62
1:34.889 - 377 - Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6 24V Sportronic '98
1:34.937 - 354 - Fiat Barchetta Giovane Due '00
1:34.966 - 355 - Peugeot 307 XSi '04
1:34.981 - 356 - Honda CR-Z '10

1:35.028 - 379 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65
1:35.160 - 361 - Spoon Fit Race Car '03

It's as quick as the Lotus Elan, AE86 and S13 Silvia Q's! It's less than 2 tenths behind Honda's fantastic S800 RSC. It's even faster than a modern Honda CR-Z! Incredible. Although, wait a minute, what is this...Toy...ota....Pri...PRIUS?!?!?! THE TOYOTA PRIUS IS FASTER THAN A MX-5 AROUND A RACETRACK? :'( Could this truly be a beater? Well, in stock form yes. But strip a few hundred pounds of weight out of it, bolt on a hardtop, strap a turbo or swap in a V8 and all of a sudden it becomes the absolute best car on the planet. Well maybe not the best. I've been dreaming about MR2 Spyders with supercharged 2ZZ swaps lately. Still, SLEEPER.

The Miatahhhh MX-5...

f7tcgom.jpg

Well @Vic Reign93 certainly pulled a rabbit out of the hat last week. When I first read about his choice, my first reaction was "Well at least he didn't have to pay for it!" The benefits of getting a birthday gift... sure it's free, but do you really want it?!?

Like it's just another Miata... there are TONNES of them. And only a few are premium status. Dime a dozen, and you should be getting change back. I already had the other premium Miatas... or MX-5's or Eunos Roadsters, or whatever name this "I can't choose which name I want to be called cause there's so many of me" car was actually called.

But... I have to admit, this one surprised me on a few levels. As mentioned before, it really does not look bad for just a standard version car. It handles quite well... as do the other Miatas I've driven. On Tuesday I brought out a number of suitable comparisons, but none were really all that effective. @Nismonath5 brought up the variety of "looks" it gets. Another feather for it's cap. At least I didn't get stuck with the tan roof version... hate that colour!

We've had other low powered Sleepers before, and this will get added to that list. Thanks!

Cheers

Now granted, it doesn't look in any way intimidating. It's vey much a hairdresser's car. So if you're after a car that looks mean and aggressive, then keep saving up your money until you can afford an FD RX-7. Or an Evo 4. Or an S14 Silvia. But still, looks can be deceiving, right? I'll just leave this here...

View attachment 631673 View attachment 631674

It's a textbook sleeper! 👍

I remember that race Nismo, and how your MX-5 laid waste to my C-7. We had some races with tuning allowed on Saturday, a shame you were unable to attend and couldn't show it off.

Another verdict for sleeper ;)

"ash cam" now that was funny!

At least I didn't get stuck with the tan roof version... hate that colour!

I thought the soft tops might have been like stripes, in the sense that depending on what colour you painted your car, it would change to a light or dark colour too. Sadly this was not the case.

We had some races with tuning allowed on Saturday, a shame you were unable to attend and couldn't show it off.
:(:(:(

DQzk18V.jpg

Some of my fellow drivers may have gotten the impression that I didn't like the Miura, but I do actually like it quite a bit from an aesthetic perspective. The Miura rightly deserves its accolades as one of the best looking cars of all time and its place in history as one of the first examples in the shift from front-engine to mid-engine designs in cars. Is it worth the 15 million required to have it though? My answer would be: only if you do the seasonal races with such regularity that you have 20 million burning a hole in your virtual pocket every weekend and are an exceptional driver.

XBOAok6.jpg

While others were able to get a handle on the car, the Miura seemed not only unwilling to work with me but wanted to outright send me into a fiery death on every corner. The line between "just right" and "murderous oversteer" is extremely thin. While you can go extremely fast when you accomplish the former, the latter is so likely to happen that putting up a single clean lap is a challenge, much less a full race. I ended looking for alternatives and found it in Lamborghini's eternal rival.

z7Hudtv.jpg

"Remember when we thought 1.5 million was a lot for a Car of the Week selection?"
The 1984 Ferrari GTO is very similar in performance and profile to the Miura, I found the GTO a much better handling car. True, it's also very slippery and you need to be wary of oversteer at every turn, but I found the Ferrari was much more predictable and easier to keep hold of when the tires began to break away. The manufacturer's logos were very appropriate for both of these cars. The GTO felt like a racing stallion, powerful and strong but still mostly willing to work with me to attain high speed. In contrast, the Miura felt like an unhinged angry Brahma bull that wanted to just spin uselessly before flinging me 12 rows deep into the grandstands, and then maybe gore a rodeo clown or two for good measure.

Yv91Sce.jpg

My recommendation for fellow GT6 players: Get the Ferrari GTO when you reach 1.5 million, save the purchase of the Miura for when you decide you want to have it. Had it been me personally I would have opted for the 20 million Ferrari and Jaguar before the Miura had COTW not forced my hand. All that said though, the Lamborghini Miura is still neither Beater nor Sleeper but an absolute gorgeous jewel that will always have a place in my garage.

GfHQlXU.jpg

Last edited:
The officially unofficial results for the "What's better than one set of TT's??? Two sets!!!" Playing with TT's event...

The "Oh Mi U R A sexy one" event...

BaronBlitzRed: 1:51.071

crazydriver26: 1:51.625

G_ASHER: 1:53.157

Rob_on_Drums: 1:55.648

The "Remember her name is Miata when you switch sets of TT's" event

crazydriver26: 1:50.125

Monty_YNOS-j: 1:50.254

BaronBlitzRed: 1:51.474

G_ASHER: 1:52.115

Rob_on_Drums: 1:53.284

mctoasty13: 1:56.711

Cheers

Isn't it funny how every time I plan a car for the next week in case McD's away, he shows up with a pick, but then when I say "Right he's back now, I don't need to worry..." he disappears. :guilty:

In all seriousness I hope he's all good, I can only imagine how infuriating it is to be missing the action of your own club...

Regardless, we need a new car, and I have a great stupid ambitious idea!!! 💡
dont-know-if-stupid-or-the-best-idea-ever.png

(Nevermind, it actually was a stupid idea.)

Attachments

• Lunar_Roving_Vehicle_LRV-001_'71.jpg
    Lunar_Roving_Vehicle_LRV-001_'71.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Noted. I'm really sorry all, I thought McD was back and able to line up a new car, so I held out as long as I dared. When he didn't, I thought I'd try something a bit different, but evidently it wan't as great as I thought. :indiff:

And now, with a mere five hours until the meet, I really hope all of you manage to see this. The car this week will be the Toyota FT-1.
images.jpg

Again, really sorry about this week, I get that it's pretty hastily thrown together and there's been a lot of confusion. Please accept my apologies, and hopefully the racing tonight will be great! See ya!

Last edited:
I hope that joke didn't offend you, Nate. I did go back and complete the silly ( and frustrating ) moon events this afternoon. Video games are supposed to be fun. It wasn't. :scared:

Anyway, good choice this time, see everyone soon.

Noted. I'm really sorry all, I thought McD was back and able to line up a new car, so I held out as long as I dared. When he didn't, I thought I'd try something a bit different, but evidently it wan't as great as I thought. :indiff:

And now, with a mere five hours until the meet, I really hope all of you manage to see this. The car this week will be the Toyota FT-1.View attachment 632658

Again, really sorry about this week, I get that it's pretty hastily thrown together and there's been a lot of confusion. Please accept my apologies, and hopefully the racing tonight will be great! See ya!

Much better.

Latest Posts

Back