Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

It seems I have not tested this car at Mid-Field. I hope I can get around to that this week. I do, however, have footage of my best lap at Suzuka (:)) Shame it's not onboard, though the exterior is arguably more pleasant to look at.

Ford GT40 Mark I '66

4.7L
354 hp / 6,500 rpm
337 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
1,080 kg (2,381 lbs)
521 pp
6.73 lbs/hp

Max speed on track: 159 mph

Cars within 1 second:

2:10.572 - 574 - 2006 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base
2:10.737 - 571 - 2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car
2:10.772 - 558 - 2009 Ferrari 458 Italia
2:10.805 - 573 - 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6)
2:11.125 - 524 - 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI
2:11.235 - 565 - 2000 Pagani Zonda C12S
2:11.296 - 521 - 1966 Ford GT40 Mark I
2:11.301 - 574 - 2014 Nissan GT-R Nismo
2:11.393 - 558 - 2000 Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1 Base
2:11.486 - 555 - 2000 Lamborghini Diablo GT
2:11.533 - 549 - 2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
2:11.573 - 547 - 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package
2:11.598 - 580 - 2011 Aston Martin One-77
2:11.895 - 564 - 2002 Saleen S7
2:11.933 - 580 - 2008 SRT Viper SRT10 ACR
2:12.009 - 563 - 1992 Jaguar XJ220
2:12.080 - 551 - 2000 SRT Viper GTS R Concept
2:12.127 - 560 - 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
2:12.151 - 566 - 2013 SRT Viper GTS
2:12.259 - 541 - 2010 Lexus LFA

It punches above its PP and is fantastic to drive.

The 40 years newer Ford GT '06, in contrast, was 1.5 seconds faster around Suzuka.

Hard to say which car I'd rather drive if I had only one option, but I think I'd go with the original '66.

Hello all, 'tis been a while since my presence here.

The GT40 is a personal favorite of mine in the GT series. I was happy to hear this car was making a return for GT6, even though we already have the race variant. It's not exactly an easy car to drive being a '60s mid engined car. The 4.7 liter V8 gives enough speed and driving pleasure to make up for the price tag, though I just wish we had the GT40 sound from GT3.

At Goodwood:

Ford Shelby GT500 '13: 0:51.688
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) 15th Anniversary Edition '14: 0:51.762
Ferrari GTO '84: 0:51.810
Ferrari F430 '06: 0:51.813
BMW M3 CSL '03: 0:51.829
Ford GT40 Mark 1 '66: 0:52.095
Ferrari 365 GTB/4 '71: 0:52.116
Audi Pikes Peak quattro '03: 0:52.159
AEM S2000: 0:52.165
Cizeta V16T 15th Anniversary Edition '94: 0:52.171
Cizeta V16T '94: 0:52.184

Looks like the Ferrari 365 GTB/4 would be a good rival for any races this week.

Hey so guys, I got an idea for a Youtube series I could make. You know how McD occasionally makes full length videos of the races? Well it would be sort of like that, but rather than record the whole race, I'd only record particular moments of interest (Epic battles, crashes, race-changing moves, etc). So, for example, one of the vids I'd do would be about the last lap duel between myself and @RobboGTAddict at Monaco last night...

Now, do any of you have any particular noteworthy moments of races from days gone by? I save 99% of the replays, so chances are I'll have the race in question. Just feeling for ideas, and if I get a few good ones I'll make some vids tomorrow! :D

Hey so guys, I got an idea for a Youtube series I could make. You know how McD occasionally makes full length videos of the races? Well it would be sort of like that, but rather than record the whole race, I'd only record particular moments of interest (Epic battles, crashes, race-changing moves, etc). So, for example, one of the vids I'd do would be about the last lap duel between myself and @RobboGTAddict at Monaco last night...

Now, do any of you have any particular noteworthy moments of races from days gone by? I save 99% of the replays, so chances are I'll have the race in question. Just feeling for ideas, and if I get a few good ones I'll make some vids tomorrow! :D

I have a couple saved from the past races. I have a couple from Mini Clubman VGT races, Honda Element and the final race at Laguna from last night on my PS3. Also you should check out Failrace on Youtube and watch his Tailrace VS. The Community, if you want inspiration for your videos.

Now THIS is a car!!!

NHqB5un.jpg

This week's car is not only from a great year ;), it's just slightly famous. Born out of spite, it was purpose built to win. Not only is it an effective weapon, it's also stunning to look at... instant recognition from anyone young or old. To say it's a top 10 car EVER made would be an understatement to say the least.

bn7M0M2.jpg

On our Tuesday night, or @Vic Reign93's Wednesday morning, he asked "What hasn't been said about this car?" Well, it hasn't been called Car of the Year here at COTW headquarters... YET.

Need I say more, people???

Cheers

wpxcgc4.jpg

Honda Element: The SUV challenger to the Pontiac Aztek nobody wanted.
Seriously, what more needs to be said about this vehicle? Coming in fully clad in black plastic bodywork just as the trend was thankfully dying off like mullets after 1990, it was outdated before it even hit the market. If that wasn't bad enough; it's top-heavy, it handles about as well as you would expect an SUV would, and it's greatly under-powered.

odv9XSi.jpg

And that's before we bring up that it can be outrun by a front-drive Honda Coupe from the 70's.
Unsurprisingly, it's an absolute beater.

Last edited:
My review of the GT40 will have to wait, but for now let's get into a new car!

Congratulations @Cowboy!!!

Do you guys allow racecars? Because I know a good one to thrash around.

No. Not at all. What an absurd idea that is, Cowboy!

Car Of The Week's all about having a go in cars you wouldn't typically think to drive, racecar or not! And on that note...

IMPREZA.jpg

It's the 2003 Subaru Impreza WRC Rally Car!!!!

Rally cars are always fun to drive, boasting unbelievable handling and grip, but they seem to lack in top end speed on some of those faster tracks. Will the Impreza reflect this? Find out on Tuesday!

This week's Playing With TT's will be at Trial Mountain, the perfect tarmac circuit for a rally sprint!

Edit: Nevermind, found a better track! Deep Forest, but not as you know it...

Last edited:
Well so much for doing the write up for just the Leaf and the Element. :lol:

Get comfortable folks, this will take awhile. :sly:

Let's start with the aforementioned Nissan Leaf.

Packing a modest 107hp from its electric motor and weighing in at 1520kg, Its both more powerful and heavier than the other humble electric car, the Mitsubishi I-MiEV.

Cheaper too at 40,600cr compared to 46k for the I-MiEV.

Of course acceleration is always a talking point about an electric car because of how it makes its power.

Peak torque starts from 0rpm up to just under 3000rpm which then drops off, but it makes peak power at the same rpm and holds it until near 10,000rpm.

Top speed is just over 90mph so you won't be setting any records with it, but it's pretty respectable for a lower end model of electric car.

Handling is the real surprise of the Leaf, thanks to a 50-50 weight distribution its quite agile despite its CM tyres and weight which on a uber short track like GT Arena means it's quite the electric bulldozer against equally paced hybrids. :P

Main drawback is the inability to upgrade the motors for more power so you can only improve acceleration via weight loss and better tyres.

But as mentioned before by others, it's a good spec racer because manual users like me have no advantage so it's down to how the driver manages his momentum.

So in summary, didn't set the world on fire, but wasn't boring as expected. ;)

Verdict: Neutral

On the subject of boring...

Here's the Honda Element. :sly:

Yes I just gave away my verdict in the first paragraph of this review, but it was just so god damn boring that i'm not gonna give it the satisfaction of saving its verdict till the end.

Powered by a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder engine with i-VTEC and making just under 160hp from the factory, which is sent to all 4 wheels via a 4 speed automatic gearbox.

It's the same engine as the Honda Odyssey, same power, torque and displacement, but that has a 5 speed Auto also with 4WD and you can throw a turbo on the Odyssey's engine, something you can't do with the Element.

The Element also weighs 40kgs more than the Leaf at 1560kgs and the front biased weight distribution reflects this.

It just understeers and understeers, it's engine runs out of puff at higher rpms and it's gearbox is way too long as we never hit 4th gear while racing.

Did I mention its soul crushingly boring??:yuck:

Honestly if I had to decide between this or a Pontiac Aztec, I would genuinely pick the Aztec because even though is pig ugly and a sales failure, it has character and the "Breaking Bad" factor about it. :lol:

Verdict: Buy the Oydessy, it's a better investment of your time and money. 👎

From the runabouts to the racecars, with an aussie twist.

Introducing the 2000 Ford Falcon XR8 V8 Supercar. :D

With a regulation mandated 5.0 litre V8 at the front making around 600hp and sending it to the rear via a 6 speed gearbox, its more than capable of getting a move on and shredding tyres.

It felt heavier than its 1350kg curbweight let on (which I later traced back to the revised Camber settings PD gave nearly all race cars. :rolleyes:) but it's brakes bit hard when you stood on them and were very effective at dragging the car back down to more modest speeds.

Racing as expected was very close thanks to its user friendly handling which also including me and @Nismonath5 duking it out on Nismo Mountain(:D).

Yes it's been with us since GT3 and it's appearance shows this and yes it's quite expensive and there is probably a few better choices out there, but it's still capable of putting up a fight if you give it some right foot encouragement. ;)

For what it is, It's a Sleeper. 👍

And now on to the brass tacks of this review list.

Now @Obelisk I'm not saying you will be struck off a few christmas card lists, I'm saying you ARE struck off a few christmas card lists. :P

I always kept this next car as my failsafe incase someone was just asking to suffer, but I didn't expect anyone to pull the trigger on it. :crazy:

It is in fact Jay Lenos Tank Car. :irked:

It's original name was 'The Blastolene Special' and was built by American master craftsman Randy Grubb and used a huge 29.3 litre V12 from a M47 Patton Tank.

In reality the "car" weighed more than what it does in game at 4.3 tons, but the real life version now has 2 turbos added to it upping the power to 1600hp. :eek:

The nights racing brought us to Indianapolis Raceway and the Brickyard which incidentally, brought about the other Blastolene Special, built after the Tank Car and resembles the classic front engined Watson Roadster Indycars, just scaled up to accommodate the same V12 as before.

IMG_0153.PNG

That makes around the same power as the Tank Car, a little over 900hp and was sold at auction back in 2010.

The Tank Car to its credit does have a few records in GT, Biggest engine displacement, heaviest from stock, longest and makes the most torque for a conventional combustion engine.

But that's where the good things end and I proceed to renact that scene from Office Space. :mischievous:

As a car to cruise in its ok, keyword in that sentence is cruise.

In a racing situation, its seven different shades of 🤬 uselessness, it doesn't want to turn, the handbrake is practically useless, it doesn't stop even if you throw some slick tyres on it, its gearing is too short, its heavy weight hinders its acceleration and in low gears it's always wanting to spin the tyres if you so much as even look at the throttle....

*Takes a quick breath*

You can't paint it and you can't upgrade it in anyway shape or form.

The biggest insult? the biggest freakin insult?! It costs 1.9 Million credits. :ouch:

As a collectors piece I could probably convince myself to get it, but as a racer? Even if it was perfectly executed it will probably still be a beater and the only way to perfectly execute it would be with A lethal injection. :sly:

Verdict: One way ticket to the BOTY award ceremony. 👎

And finally, The MK1 Ford GT40....

What? You're asking me to review it? :confused:

As I said on race night, "What HASN'T already been said about the GT40?"

Ok fine i'll give a quick recap. :)

The GT40 wasn't built out of a company's need for a Halo car, it was built by a combination of spite and vengeance against Ferrari which backed out of a deal which would've seen Ford buy Ferrari out.

A blank check and one objective, beat Ferrari at Le Mans, Its first few attempts ended in failure, but the second they ironed the bugs out, they were untouchable at Le Mans with 4 back to back wins. :cheers:

It's road going variants were just as fun and worth paying near 3 million credits.

Are there cheaper classics? Yes.
Are there faster classics? Yes.
Do any of those classics that fit into those categories have the same level of legendary pedigree as the GT40?

I highly doubt it. :D

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

Legend. Icon. Masterpiece.
Potential Car Of The Year candidate....
Côte d'Azur_7.jpg

Made 50 years ago... still looks better than any Lamborghini or Bugatti made today!

The legendary GT40.
This beauty's main claim to fame is the 1-2-3 finish at LeMans in 1966, the lead car piloted by both Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon (Who are both Kiwis :sly:), and the second place car co-piloted by Denny Hulme (Who was also a Kiwi :D) Admittedly, this is one of those cars I held back from buying instantly because I had the 15th anniversary edition. I bought it when I realised that actually, the anniversary cars do have performance advantages over their regular counterparts. And really, it's a terrific car!

Now thanks to GT4 and a few other games, I drove the modern Ford GT long before I drove the classic. And because of that, I didn't think I'd like the classic. I don't like the modern one. Never really have, not too sure why though. It has a V8, rear wheel drive, lots of power, and it's substantially cheaper than any other supercar on the market. And yet, when I drive it, it just doesn't seem to appeal to me, it doesn't quite have the same turn-on appeal. This can be best reflected through my mileage in Need For Speed Hot Pursuit...

-Pagani Zonda Chinque: 436.7 miles
-McLaren MP4-12C: 499.0 miles
-Lambo Sesto Elemento: 378.5 miles
-Lambo Diablo SV: 349.6 miles
etc, etc, etc...
-Ford GT: 13.3 miles

So you can see why I might be a bit hesitant to pay $2.8m for a car I might only drive down the road and back. But when I bought it, I didn't regret it! Visually, it's smaller in every way than it's modern day homage, the GT40 looks fast, even when it's still. That purpose built, slippery aero look gives it a distinctively racey look. Unlike the modern GT, this thing looks like it was built to go fast. The modern GT looks like it was built solely to piggyback off it's father's name.

Côte d'Azur_1.jpg
Côte d'Azur_2.jpg

Roaring up the streets of Monaco

Now the funny thing is, I'd already driven this thing with you lot prior to this week. During our week in the Tank Car, I took the GT40 for a spin round Laguna Seca. And I experienced firsthand it's tail happy nature. I still thought it was pretty great to drive. But then in hindsight, everything's better to drive than the Tank Car...

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg

Wheeeee!

It doesn't have the fastest launch in the world, but once it gets up a little bit of speed it's really good! It'll really try and wrestle with you, and you have to be quick to counter some of the blows it'll deal. But that's half the fun! If you don't like it, what are you doing behind the wheel of a 50 year old classic???? Don't you know that basically all the cars from this era are like this?!

The most notable battle for me was obviously the duel against Rob. Fast, clean, ferocious and I won! (I promise Rob, I shan't carry on about it.) But what I realised watching the replay of that battle is just how comfortable I was in the car. I was getting within mere inches of walls, braking as late as possible, and generally driving it on the razor's edge despite having virtually zero prior practise in it! It has a surprising "Get in and be amazing" factor that you wouldn't expect from a classic like this!

Côte d'Azur_8.jpg

Côte d'Azur_3.jpg
Côte d'Azur_4.jpg Côte d'Azur_5.jpg Côte d'Azur_6.jpg
Now this is the part where I put on a bulletproof vest, hide in the bomb shelter and keep an extra eye out for snipers or assassins.. I'm not sure the GT40's the Car Of The Year...

*Waits for the nuclear siren or the sound of missiles overhead*

....Right, I think I'm safe. But still, yes! I don't think it's quite COTY. However, it's second. Second only to the Toyota FT-1! Now if you've been active on the DOTW thread in the last month or so, you're probably thinking "Ughhh, we've heard enough about the ******* FT-1 lately!!!". But the truth is, I had more fun in the FT-1 than I did in the GT40. It may be cos I'm a JDM person, it may be cos I got so much more mileage in the FT-1 than I did the GT40, it might be a completely different reason, but either way I still prefer the FT-1.

Regardless, the GT40 is no beater. Nor is it a sleeper. It's glorious! 👍👍👍👍👍

By the way, you may notice the title has changed. Now, I don't have the ability to update the thread title each week, that's McD's right as leader. However with him out of action for as long as he's been, Jordan suggested this change, as now the thread title isn't outdated! (And never will be until McD's return)

Papa Tomato says to Little Tomato: It's time to Ketchup!

Looks like I'm behind on the results, so here goes...

The "Don't forget to move your hands 360 degrees when Playing with TT's" event...

G_ASHER: 1:03.412

thematic604: 1:03.554

Rob_on_Drums: 1:03.941

The "Wearing a fig Leaf is optional when Playing with TT's" event...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:08.903

thematic604: 2:10.083

Rob_on_Drums: 2:12.629

kunalpradhan5431: 2:31.585

The "Falcon's talons are WAY too sharp for Playing with TT's" event...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:04.712

Rob_on_Drums: 2:05.354

kunalpradhan5431: 2:12.486

The "Use the Element of surprise when Playing with TT's" event...

G_ASHER: 1:09.847

BaronBlitzRed: 1:10.369

thematic604: 1:11.571

kunalpradhan5431: 1:13.959

The "Remember that tanks usually have bigger cannons when you're Playing with TT's" event...

G_ASHER: 0:36.283

GTP_CowboyAce57: 0:36.553

kunalpradhan5431: 0:39.006

Cheers

Storytime!

The folks at the classic car museum inspected the GT40 rather thoroughly when I returned it. I hadn't painted it, hadn't scratched it, but what they didn't know is that I had in fact sent it flying down numerous racetracks around the world. But that was a relatively minor detail that they would be better off not knowing. "You sure you didn't race it?" The museum guy asked. D'oh! Busted. Or was I... "Nah. Well, I mean I gave it a playful hoon on a few straights, but nothing major." I replied. This was technically true. It was obvious from the dirt and heat coming off the brakes that it had in fact gone fast, now all I had to do was play down my week's activities and I'd be in the clear...

A few days later, I found myself at another museum. The Subaru World Rally Team museum in Tokyo, Japan. I had been here not long ago to use their Subaru 360, but this time I was here for a signifigantly faster car. As the workers pulled the cover off the Impreza, I grinned. This was the Impreza that represents all Imprezas. A true rally bred beast! As I prepared to drive off, one worker leaned into the car. "Just remember, no racing it!!!" Heard that one before!
"Oh, of course!" I called as I turned on the antilag, put it on the limiter and sped off...

....no love for the Impreza?

Just kidding, I myself have been rather busy with this short film I'm working on... But I have tomorrow off, so I have a choice. Attempt a sleep in, or join you lot for Saturday Night Special! :confused:

<3 Impreza <3

Easy to drive, plenty of power. Now, I think someone made a "not enough power" comment about the Impreza , but I found it had plenty. ...of course you guys drove a Ford GT last week which would leave most cars feeling anemic.

I did find the Impreza to understeer, especially once tires wore significantly, but it may just be tire wear characteristics.

verdict: sleeper!

....no love for the Impreza?

Just kidding, I myself have been rather busy with this short film I'm working on... But I have tomorrow off, so I have a choice. Attempt a sleep in, or join you lot for Saturday Night Special! :confused:

Sleep is for the weak. :lol:

I've been up to my ears in contractor's the past two weeks with a large home repair project and haven't really had time to review anything. The short version is that it's a nice capable car that does what it's supposed to. It was pretty sweet at the 500pp racecar seasonal we just had, with only toe/camber and aero changes required.

Last edited:
Sleep is for the weak. :lol:

Slept right past my 6:45 alarm to join you guys, woke up at 10... Yeah, I tried. :lol:

Thanks to being busy this week, my review on the Impreza's relatively simplistic...

Stars and stripes
Gemasolar_5.jpg

Look at that wing...

The Impreza is basically the poster-boy of 90's-00's WRC. This model, the '03, is one of my favorite as far as visuals. I've always been a fan of the huge rear wing, teardrop headlights and, of course, that scoop! It's got all the right visuals and all the right colours.

Being one of the older rally models in GT6, the '03 Impreza is substantially cheaper than it's '08 officially-licensed counterpart. It also suffers from PS2 graphics and a really poor quality sound. It's nowhere near throaty enough for a boxer 4! Mind you, nearly all the videogames get it wrong, in fact I think NFS Underground 2 is the only one I've seen that gets it right!

Naturally, being a machine bred for all kinds of terrain is more than at home on the dirt and snow. You can throw it around with total comfort, ripping up the terrain and showering the poor sods behind you in gravel, dust, snow and anything else you decide to blast across!

....yeah, really there's not too muchto say about the Impreza that's not blaringly obvious. That's about it for my review, it's a sleeper for me for being my fave shape Prezzie 👍

I'll be back real soon with the new car!

Alrighty I'm back, and since I've been caught up with filming and movie-making, I wasn't able to contact anyone this week, so I literally just pulled this one out of thin air.

Congratulations thin air!!!!!

Pack your beers, shotguns, and forget everything you know about "cornering"! And "downsizing".

M11196.4.jpg

It's the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 LARAMIE Hemi Quad-Cab!!!!!

This week's "Playing With TT's" will be at Daytona Superspeedway, because 'murica!

I'm just gonna leave this here...
36e03e2e34c4f22443d080108d75ebf7.jpg

Giggity.

Got the Impreza on Goodwood:

Citroën Xsara Rally Car '99: 0:48.801
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo: 0:48.889
Ford GT '05: 0:48.908
Ferrari 458 Italia '09: 0:48.926
Pagani Huayra '11: 0:49.019
Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce '09: 0:49.031
Ford Focus Rally Car '99: 0:49.225
Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08: 0:49.315