Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Seems that increasing steering sensitivity on the DS3 could artificially induce scrubbing of the front wheels, possibly. I mean, it helped quite a bit with the understeer problem I had on the Caldina.
Ha! Got a good laugh from the double post shenanigan.

Did increasing or decreasing help your under steer problem? How does inducing scrubbing help with under steer? I'm probably misunderstanding.

Did increasing or decreasing help your under steer problem? How does inducing scrubbing help with under steer? I'm probably misunderstanding.

I might be mistaken in this, but increasing the steering sensitivity may have allowed me to put more steering into a corner. Granted, there isn't any force feedback to let you know when you can scrub the wheels, but it feels like a noticeable difference for me (as in I feel like I could put more steering angle into a corner to counteract the understeer (again, probably my mistake)).

Bad, bad Bap_Shockz . . . double posting. Hrrrump.

I remember this car - the Caldina GT-Four. I remember taking it out and being completely taken aback at how well it drove, the handling and power completely at odds with its looks.

I remember thinking: "Oh 🤬 Another great car I won't have time to drive. Dang it. There's just too many good cars in this game."

I might be mistaken in this, but increasing the steering sensitivity may have allowed me to put more steering into a corner. Granted, there isn't any force feedback to let you know when you can scrub the wheels, but it feels like a noticeable difference for me (as in I feel like I could put more steering angle into a corner to counteract the understeer (again, probably my mistake)).

I believe it's just a more prompt, sensitive turn-in.

Hey man, can't blame me, those posts were almost 24 hours apart.
I know. I was just trying to make you feel bad; obviously you're not.

I took the Caldina for a spin after giving it the RIGHT colour. My Bob and I got the same scores at the Sunday Cup and later on at the 500 PP in Rome - stock. Won.

Wait. This says 'GT' It wears the hallowed GT badge. Gran Turismo. Grand Touring. That explains the long-legged tranny, not really suitable for short spurts, but ready to stretch her legs when pressed into service. And comfortable. Large. Roomy. Lots of room for the luggage when you need to take that grand tour - and at quite *koffhigh speed through certain swathes of the countryside.

Beater? No. She does what is expected of her - doesn't her looks give the game away?
Sleeper - Oh! Yeah. Just get her going, and you find that she can function well beyond that form.

Upgraded, this car would be a very addictive drive. This is the poor man's Gran Turismo - the one with the trident on the grill, that is.

Last edited:
Had some pictures left over from my time with the Firebird at Sierra. It's a damn shame I didn't manage to finish the review. Short verdict, it's a sleeper. With a little more power, the potential is there.
Circuito de la Sierra_2.jpg

Can you believe these 2 cars were made only 2 years apart? Feels like two different ages on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Circuito de la Sierra_1.jpg

Circuito de la Sierra.jpg

The Toyota Caldina GT-Four, the minivan with the heart and legs of the Celica GT-Four.

The Caldina packs a tiny bit more power and torque than the Celica, but is also carrying a little extra weight and sporting a 4 speed auto box.

On paper this should be even more of a beater than the Celica was.

So why isn't it?

Well despite being heavier, the weight is better distributed around the car with 57% of the weight at the front compared to the Celica's 59% so whilst there's still understeer, there's less of it.

Even though it's faster using the 5 speed gearbox, the standard 4 speed auto is not all that bad.

Combine all that with a something like a minivan and you have a sleeper in the making and that's what the Caldina is.

Ironic isn't it? The sports car which uses the same engine and 4wd system and is lighter is a beater, yet the heavier and auto box using minivan is a sleeper. :lol:

Verdict: Toyota Caldina GT-Four, Sleeper 👍

Btw, I'll see if I can scrape together another write up for the 3 recent VGT cars on the weekend. :P

Sit tight, ladies and gentlemen, and buckle your eyeballs, because it's time for...

BAP_Shockz's Car of the Week Experience!

This week's car,

the Toyota Caldina GT-FOUR '02!

After the affair with the rich kids and my friend's Zonda, I haven't had much to do in the past couple of weeks. The Piazza was starting to bore me, and I needed a little bit of excitement. So imagine my delight, when a good friend of mine asked me to join him on a short ride up and down a mountain pass. He had just bought a new car for family use, and he wanted my opinion on it. What car, you may ask?

Well, this one.

Special Stage Route 5_2.jpg

Let's get the mechanical stuff out of the way. It has the same engine as the Celica GT-FOUR, the 2.0-litre turbocharged 3S-GTE, which is in it's 4th and final generation in this car. In this version, it puts out a nice 260hp. It has 4WD, like the Celica. You could say that the Caldina is the wagon version of the Celica, and you wouldn't be too far off, at least in this trim level. It's a wee bit heavier than the Celica, but has more power and torque. The most important bit, however, is the weight distribution. Compared to the 59:41 distribution in the Celica, making it more front heavy, the Caldina has a 57:43 distribution. What this means is that less weight is put on the front wheels under braking, making turn-in easier, and therefore having less understeer than the Celica.

It shows too, the Caldina feels easier to turn, and can power out of corners better than the Celica. It's not to say there isn't any understeer though, only less of it. The city streets seem weirdly empty on our way to the pass, so it seemed like a good time to stretch the car's legs a little.

Special Stage Route 5_3.jpg

Special Stage Route 5_1.jpg

The pass we went to was pretty far away, so we stayed at a hotel overnight, before leaving the next day. When we got there however, it was quite the sight. He gave me the wheel, and I let the car rip.

Deep Forest Raceway_4.jpg

The suspension setup was pretty stiff, and the car had a few problems with exiting corners (although that's probably just me), but otherwise, it drove perfectly well. I think we spent up to a good 3-4 hours just driving up and down the pass, and it was one hell of a time.

Deep Forest Raceway_3.jpg

What do I think of this car? It's definitely a step up from the Celica. Maybe it's because the Caldina actually felt like a sporty wagon, while the Celica tried to be a sports car, but failed. It's quite the car. I like it. Sleeper for me. (Y)

Overall score: 7/10

Last edited:
Just a quick question, what's the criteria for beater/sleeper? Is it just if I like the car, I call it a sleeper, and if I don't, call it a beater? Or is there more criteria involved?

Just a quick question, what's the criteria for beater/sleeper? Is it just if I like the car, I call it a sleeper, and if I don't, call it a beater? Or is there more criteria involved?

To my knowledge, if a car does as it's advertised, is a fun car in itself, and also has some hidden potential to boot, it's able to be defined as a sleeper. On the opposite end, if a car is expected to do well, yet isn't a very good car, or is relatively overrated without the ability to deliver, it's defined as a beater.

That is of course, what it's defined in my honest opinion.

Well, it is rather subjective criteria, defined by what one considers to be "good" or "bad" in a car. @BAP_Shockz gave more or less a good idea of his own ideas of "good" and "bad" in a car, and I should add that @McClarenDesign sees tuning any car as an auto-removal of Sleeper status. I have a different idea about that, but I'll hold that thought until my Caldina review.

For me, a car that can punch above its weight, in its category, is a good sleeper. A car that gets outpaced by cars of inferior PP, and is not good to drive, it's a beater. Of course, my own ideas, they might match yours.

There is no official criteria. We all have different opinions of what is what, here' is where you express those ideas and provide some justification for your opinion.

For instance, for a soccer mom a F40 may be a beater because it has no room for groceries.

Update- Sunday's selection will be based on the results of Sunday's F1 race in Malaysia. I'll be making the choice, but trust me... you want Sauber to do well.

You really, really want Sauber to do well.

Place your bets, take your guesses as to what will be!

With more than a thousand cars in GT6, and you expect us to actually nail that? You're crazy, man. :lol:

But hey, I guess we'll driver a really cool supercar (Ferrari Enzo? Saleen S7? Mclaren F1?) if Sauber does well. If they don't, we'll probably drive a Honda Fit RS or something along those lines...

It's right in my country, and it's a 70 minute drive away, but damn if those tickets aren't expensive. Would have really liked to go and watch it live.

It's right in my country, and it's a 70 minute drive away, but damn if those tickets aren't expensive. Would have really liked to go and watch it live.

Blame Bernie for that one, I guess. Since he only wants the old men to watch the F1, he prices the tickets accordingly. Too bad that vision is more outdated than the Sega 32X, but there you go.

At least you always have the TV to aid you, right?

I will stay away today, no spoilers. Recorded the race but have to work today and won't be able to watch till tonight PST. I forget and lack any useful information to help with my guess to this weeks car. So I'll throw this one out there. 09 SLR McLaren.

To my knowledge, if a car does as it's advertised, is a fun car in itself, and also has some hidden potential to boot, it's able to be defined as a sleeper. On the opposite end, if a car is expected to do well, yet isn't a very good car, or is relatively overrated without the ability to deliver, it's defined as a beater.

That is of course, what it's defined in my honest opinion.

Well, it is rather subjective criteria, defined by what one considers to be "good" or "bad" in a car. @BAP_Shockz gave more or less a good idea of his own ideas of "good" and "bad" in a car, and I should add that @McClarenDesign sees tuning any car as an auto-removal of Sleeper status. I have a different idea about that, but I'll hold that thought until my Caldina review.

For me, a car that can punch above its weight, in its category, is a good sleeper. A car that gets outpaced by cars of inferior PP, and is not good to drive, it's a beater. Of course, my own ideas, they might match yours.
There is no official criteria. We all have different opinions of what is what, here' is where you express those ideas and provide some justification for your opinion.

For instance, for a soccer mom a F40 may be a beater because it has no room for groceries.
Thanks for the replies, I was curious.

just so you guys know, there's actually already a going definition for the term "sleeper".
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sleeper

It's directly and exactly reserved for cars that look ordinary, boring, and even sluggish, but hold monster engines inside.

Surprise, "beater" also has a definition. :)

I'm guessing you guys don't care, somebody had to point out that these words have meaning already, and you've chosen to just use them in different meanings/contexts regardless.
:cheers:

Thanks for the replies, I was curious.

just so you guys know, there's actually already a going definition for the term "sleeper".
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sleeper

It's directly and exactly reserved for cars that look ordinary, boring, and even sluggish, but hold monster engines inside.

Surprise, "beater" also has a definition. :)

I'm guessing you guys don't care, somebody had to point out that these words have meaning already, and you've chosen to just use them in different meanings/contexts regardless.
:cheers:

It's okay to point that out, and well, it may not look like it but we do care about that. We just adjust the actual definition of "sleeper" and "beater" to the cars we test, and to GT6. And then we adjust our criteria to the cars in question, that's all. ;)

I mean, it's hard to use the urban dictionary definition to say, a Saleen S7, you know?

I actually laughed out loud at that one. :D

It actually took me a while to figure that one out, but I did laugh when I realized its true meaning, haha. :lol:

It's okay to point that out, and well, it may not look like it but we do care about that. We just adjust the actual definition of "sleeper" and "beater" to the cars we test, and to GT6. And then we adjust our criteria to the cars in question, that's all. ;)

I mean, it's hard to use the urban dictionary definition to say, a Saleen S7, you know?
Well, that's the difference between a "beater or sleeper" event, and just a thumbs up or down review, isn't it?
A Saleen S7 or Ferrari F40 wouldn't be in an actual beater or sleeper type event.

I don't mean to sidetrack you guys, it's a silly technicality I suppose, I just was disappointed to see a 17 second-1/4 car with a 7.3L under a giant gold bird on the hood get called a "sleeper". I like Firebirds and the Bandit Trans Am is no exception, but it's as far from a sleeper as it gets.

Well, that's the difference between a "beater or sleeper" event, and just a thumbs up or down review, isn't it?
A Saleen S7 or Ferrari F40 wouldn't be in an actual beater or sleeper type event.

The actual difference between "Beater or Sleeper" and "Thumbs up or down" relies on the person making the car choice. For the most part, the cars we pick tend to remain faithful to the "Beater or Sleeper" part, but some just tend to pick supercars. But in those situations, we use our head and dictate that the car itself shouldn't really be considered a sleeper, because it's mostly obvious that it has great perfomance. And it's only a real beater if it can't compete to a decent level...

The actual difference between "Beater or Sleeper" and "Thumbs up or down" relies on the person making the car choice. For the most part, the cars we pick tend to remain faithful to the "Beater or Sleeper" part, but some just tend to pick supercars. But in those situations, we use our head and dictate that the car itself shouldn't really be considered a sleeper, because it's mostly obvious that it has great perfomance. And it's only a real beater if it can't compete to a decent level...

Great understanding @Niku Driver HC, with one caveat: If your daily driver is a Bugatti Veyron, then the Ferrari F430 is kind of a beater. Then again, if the Veyron is your daily driver, then you probably have access to a Ferrari FXX, or some other car that makes it pale in your comparison. $25k for a set of rubber is an afterthought, but where are you going to put your weekly groceries? There's also the random speed bumps that you'll likely encounter, and most of those aren't made to a certain specification, and the ones that are come up to the top of the wheel arch.

Sleepers can be cars that out perform your expectations, or bore you to suicide. Whichever you pick, be ready to justify your explanation. There is no wrong answer, so long as you can show that you put some thought into your observation.

Welcome to the adult-ish version of "show your work". As for this week...

Mr. Potter
Look at you. You used to be so cocky. You were going to go out and conquer the world. You once called me a warped, frustrated, old man! What are you but a warped, frustrated young man? A miserable little clerk crawling in here on your hands and knees and begging for help.

Congratulations Mr. Potter! You've managed to kill Top Gear and keep Sauber out of the points, all in the same week! What will you do for an encore?

big_opel_vectra_05.jpg

It's the 2003 Opel/Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6!

It's been a long time since we've had a multi-car quasi-choice, so why not pick one for Tuesday's race.

That's right! It's up to us to tell the difference. Choose your side (even though it's the same freakin' team), Vauxhall or Opel?! Then, when we're done, we can return them to the dealership!

...Because recall, that's why.

Obviously Opel, because i am not from Britain.
Wait, the only one i have is Vauxhall because it had more colours....

DANG IT, MY PLAN IS RUINED!
Oh, and as the apparent mayor of the Vauxhall team, i say we have to say "colour" instead of "color"

Back