Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

It's a Vauxhall that some chav glued a stolen Lotus badge on to.

In all seriousness, I believe this used to be the fastest saloon car on the road at it's time with a top speed in the high 170's mph. I've driven it in both GT5 and 6, it's fast but it's also quite heavy. My grandfather used to own the Vauxhall variant of one of these, though obviously it's not quite the same as the Lotus made car.

Correct, it raised a bit of hell for the police and one particular Carlton was quite the hell raiser. :mischievous:

http://jalopnik.com/an-amazing-lotus-tuned-sedan-terrorized-the-uk-in-a-vio-1575033146

In reality, this car is the perfect example of a 'Q Car' (British Sleeper) so it'll be interesting if it holds up to that honor.

Oh, before I forget... ;)

No Carlton is complete without the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. :D

Last edited:
Someone actually got the reference! Yeah, since it was a Spanish car and city, I did it as a tribute to Picasso. Well done, @Niku Driver HC!

Well I am just on fire lately. Even when I don't think I'm right, boom, instant victory. It is my week, quite literally! :D

And speaking of mine:

corgi.jpg

Done. Happy?

Of course I'm happy.

Not. That's not the Corgi I was alluding to, Brad Smart-Alec.

Boy, I really have to think these words of mine through more carefully, you people are relentless when it comes to picking holes in them. :lol:

Just post it here Yourself from the original post!

I know, I know, I was just trying to see if I could break Mcclaren to my will. Obviously, much like Top Gear, it is ambitious, but also very rubbish. He has way too many counter measures. (and by counter measures I obviously mean Corgi pictures) :lol:

Regardless, here's the thing I was refering too:

va14003.jpg

English toy company Corgi will add this Carlton (part of Vauxhall's Heritage Collection) to their Vanguards line, so if you want a Carlton you can touch, this is probably the best choice. Or play GT, I dunno, but that's more for driving purposes. :lol:

I know, I know, I was just trying to see if I could break Mcclaren to my will. Obviously, much like Top Gear, it is ambitious, but also very rubbish. He has way too many counter measures. (and by counter measures I obviously mean Corgi pictures) :lol:

I've told you before. I'm a McClaren, your Jedi powers don't work on me.

I've told you before. I'm a McClaren, your Jedi powers don't work on me.

Oh you, I should've known better. Obviously, a man who has the power to dare F1 drivers to play ice hockey is clearly too much for me to handle. What was I thinking?

Yooo Maccy D, think you better put some warnings before that vidya link, you dig?

Nah, Maccy D has gone full chav on all of us. The Carlton has already claimed yet another victim, next thing you know he'll be playing N.W.A during the COTW lobby. F the Police!

(And that "F" stands for beFriend the Police, obviously. :lol:)

The Carlton was a pretty popular car in GT5. Now I hardly ever hear of it in GT6.

Probably because most people overlook it as a Lotus (since there are Espirits and Elises abound). Or probably because they are too busy fighting with that-new-racing-game-that-has-Project-in-its-name fans, like angry ants fighting over a crumb of bread. If only they realized that most people just want to play games for fun, right?

Awww man, now I really want to join this week's event. The Carlton was my absolute favourite high performance sedan of the 90's, despite me not even being born early enough to witness it in it's majesty. 176mph top speed to make all the Mercs, BMWs, and Audis of the time cry at their sorry 155mph limiter.

Haven't driven it in GT6 however, and I don't think I'll have the chance this week. :(

I can't be the only one that thinks it handles like crap-on-a-stick...

Yooo Maccy D, think you better put some warnings before that vidya link, you dig?

I thought there was only one name that I'd hate. Lewis has found a new one.

Maccy D... I'll probably use that at some point, actually. Also, future warning for all of my links: click if you dare! They aren't always offensive, but at least it beats Malware and security problems.

McClarenDesign- Safe, but are you REALLY sure you want to? I mean really REALLY sure?

I can't be the only one that thinks it handles like crap-on-a-stick...

I think you are, to be honest. Granted, it isn't a precision tool, but don't expect it to handle like a new Mazda 2 or something. This car doesn't lent itself to hyper-agression, it still weighs around 1600 kgs. So you do have to treat it with some care if you want to avoid understeer. Adjusting, Brad, adjusting.

Maccy D... I'll probably use that at some point, actually. Also, future warning for all of my links: click if you dare! They aren't always offensive, but at least it beats Malware and security problems.

McClarenDesign- Safe, but are you REALLY sure you want to? I mean really REALLY sure?

And well, I bolded all this because... hey, it's true. Unless you can see what it is, it's best to prepare yourself for some tom-foolery. It's Maccy D, after all. He's known to share random pictures of Corgis to prove a man wrong... :crazy: :lol:

so for the last 6 weeks we have had four sports cars and two normal ones... but no race cars. are race cars banned or something?

Well, there is no rule that states that race cars are banned. But measuring them in the Beater/Sleeper scale is harder than doing so with a road car. And this whole idea started with testing road cars in mind, so...

However, we do test race cars from time to time, just check the list on the first page. So, you can tell that they are not banned outright. ;)

A hardwired connection works best, yes. Even with proxy settings, wifi isn't consistent enough to handle high quality rooms.

Maybe not for your garbage American internet. :yuck:

Tee-hee!

Works great for me here, just limited to 50 odd Mb/s, but quality, consistency and ping times were still really good. I use hardwired though as I gain another 100Mb/s.

I remember, a long time ago,
Rallying a Carlton, which was white for some reason.
I remember it clearly...
Ye Olde Times
A'right, lets take this car to the track, WAIT!
Why the frick are there 3 former COTW cars parked on this track...
...AND BY THREE I MEAN TWO FORMER COTW CARS AND A CARLTON.
Fine i gue-
OH MY GOD ME AND THOSE THREE CARS ARE CHALLENGED TO RALLY AGAINST A 450PP SKYLINE! ON A SNOW TRACK!
Alright then.
[moments later]
Alright, lets see who beat that Skyline which we all had more PP than.
Le List
Everybody

EXCEPT THE CARLTON!
What?! The Carlton didn't do it, but it had more PP than 450! about 13 PP more!
I better talk to the Carlton and see whats up!
And then the Carlton said, in an old, raspy voice...
Carlton
Wah! Wah! I humiliated by Import! Someone get me Pacifier!
....No

Ah, good times...

Actually, crap on a stick would be a bit less slippery than this thing :crazy:

What the hell kinda tires are you running on these cars? Confort Hards? Because on the car's stock tires (Sport Hards) it's not that slippery... :boggled: Also, I'd advise you to keep it out of wet roads (or roads with low grip, for that matter). There is a reason why people do say that the Carlton is a handful... in the wet.

I dunno, may be slippery isn't exactly the right word. I just didn't feel like typing "tire-chattering, wheel-hopping, up in smoke loss of traction upon the slightest application of throttle in a non-straight line"

I reserve judgement on beater or sleeper until I find out the fun level Tuesday night.

Back