Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The Review
by CowboyAce57

y1syxNwg4054BOAwRf_0.jpg

The TS020 and Gran Turismo

The GT-ONE was first seen in GT2 as either the road car variant or the race version which had two liveries (Esso and Exxon). The road version was dropped after GT3 and has been in the series since. It now resides as a standard racecar that seems to have most of its PS2 graphics.

The Looks

The GT-ONE has a very aggressive looking front end, like it's ready to attack anything it sees. Looking at it from the sides and you can notice the aerodynamic flow of the body. Finally the car features a large but appealing rear wing to help keep it on the ground at 200 mph.

Under the Hood

Hmm, 764 HP? Isn't that a little high for an LMGTP car? Oh well, this is GT6, not real life. As was just stated, the TS020 has a whopping 764 HP @ 7,500 rpm and produces 605.3 ft-lb of torque @ 6,000 rpm. All this comes from its 3.6 liter V8 Twin Turbo engine. It also weighs 100 kg lighter than its familiar rival, the R390 GT1, being at 900 kg.

Acceleration Test

0-60 mph: 2.2 sec
0-100 mph: 4.166 sec
400m: 8.950 sec
1,000m: 16.366 sec
Top Speed: ~235 mph

The GT-ONE roars off the start with some smoke in the air and gets some pretty impressive numbers. I was redlining at about 230 mph so I'm assuming the top speed is around 235 mph.

Road Test

Where should I test this legendary LMP? I know! Curcuit de la Sarthe. When I drove this I felt like I was being melted into the car, becoming one with the car. The only downside to this one is that on the tighter corners, you gotta watch how hard you press the gas or you will slide a little, and that's part of what makes this car fun. You gotta have some sort of challenge you know ;).

The Verdict

This is neither a beater or a sleeper. It's a well known, unforgotten machine capable of beating most cars in its class. It could be a sleeper because it can go against the 787B and other fast vehicles on its level, which is why I'm giving a vote of a neither rating this week.​

Last edited:
The horsepower figure in the game is the engine's real output without the restrictors. During the 24h race, it was restricted to roughly 600-650 hp. During qualifying, where cars are tuned for high power and not for endurance, it would be the fastest car on the Mulsanne straight in 1998.

Definitely not a beater, but not exactly a sleeper, either. Those wings and that stance pretty much shouts out that it's a car that means business.

Well I've more than thrashed the Toyota around Le Mans and I'm settled at 3:28.328, there's no Possible way I can go any faster without using SRF or cutting the corners. What a mighty machine though, did drive me insane after all my failed attempts but in the end I do think this car is a monster that flies around the track with a tail that will take out a whole city!

Oh my poor DFGT got a real beating today!

Well, I'm afraid I won't be able to join you for tonight's session, lads; I'll be attending a dinner with some friends in Porto, so as you'll be able to assume, I will not be at home during "racing time". I did drive the GT-One a few times, and while I do like its perfomance and planted handling, there are better LMP cars for your budget, mainly the Pescarolo duo, cars which are still capable of going around corners like the GT-One but are much quicker on a straight line.
It's GT's unfortunate problem of having LMP cars from different eras facing off against each other, which leaves the LMP/GT1 cars such as the GT-One in a rather uncompetitive place against the more modern cars such as the Pesca, and against the classic Group C vehicles such as the GT-One's spiritual predecessor, the Minolta 88C-V...

Ok, seriously, how am I supposed to review this?
It's a Le Mans Prototype. What do you expect it to be like? The GT-One is loud enough to drown out the background music and it goes really fast. How am I supposed to come up with something funny and witty from this?

Uh, let's see. The styling looks...aerodynamic. It is on the expensive side, and you have to settle for a standard car while the Bentley Speed 8, Sauber Mercedes C9, and other LMPs bat their premium eyelashes at you from other dealerships. But that's obviously not going to stop you if you have your heart set on this car. Handling? I generally struggle with cars at this performance level, and my driving in this car certainly wouldn't fool anyone into thinking I was Dan Gurney.

And then "Beater or Sleeper?" Well, take someone who knows absolutely nothing about cars, show them this car, ask them if they think it will go fast, they'll say "Yes" unless they're a pathological liar and/or a politician. So, Sleeper is out. And the only way a Le Mans Prototype could possibly be a Beater is if they don't go fast. Which pretty much means that car would be a complete and abject failure at what it was setting out to.....

Oh, didn't see you there.....this is awkward....

Well I've more than thrashed the Toyota around Le Mans and I'm settled at 3:28.328, there's no Possible way I can go any faster without using SRF or cutting the corners. What a mighty machine though, did drive me insane after all my failed attempts but in the end I do think this car is a monster that flies around the track with a tail that will take out a whole city!

Oh my poor DFGT got a real beating today!

Congratulations Thomas2012! Welcome to Car of the Week! Please select our next under-appreciated automobile.

I choose: you, Pikachu!

TokyoR246_2.jpg

It's the '01 Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R Pace Car!

An iconic car in the GT series known for its lap guides, Some people may still fear overtaking this car which may result in them being disqualified. But does it stand out from the regular R34's? Well stat wise there doesn't appear to be a difference but we'll soon find out!

I was going to allow the regular '01 Skyline GT-R (Non-Pacecar), however that car has a significant advantage compared to the one chosen (525 PP vs 473 PP), so it'll be lights for everyone!

Thank you for selecting me as the winner too! I've only joined 2 clubs in GTPlanet and both have been absolutely outstanding.

Also, congratulations to @Baron Blitz Red for smoking the competition during last week's "Playing With TTs!", setting a lap time of 3:26.989! This week's track is also where we'll wrap up this year's Formula 1 season, Yas Marina, courtesy of @CTznOfTime !

Last edited:
Playing with Toys!

Well last week's car was definitely fun to play with. Showcased perfectly in Playing with TT's, a fitting venue to test the GT-One's capabilities as it was purposely built for... LeMans.

ZP0525U.jpg

I can't really add to what's already been said about the car, but I would like to open a discussion in retrospect.

I ran the TT a few times... well maybe nine times :lol:. What caught my attention this time 'round was the fact that every time I ran the TT, my best laps were in laps 5 or 6 of the mini enduro. For those who didn't get to Play with TT's last week, you could only do 6 full laps.

I mentioned to @basswerks1 on one occasion that it felt like the physics changed. As your fuel tank emptied out, you got faster. Now in real life, that would make sense as fuel is simply weight added to the car. Around lap 5-6, you would see around half a tank left over.

Now as a fan of Time Trials, this got my attention. The question is, did anyone else feel the same way???

Cheers

Playing with Toys!I ran the TT a few times... well maybe nine times :lol:. What caught my attention this time 'round was the fact that every time I ran the TT, my best laps were in laps 5 or 6 of the mini enduro. For those who didn't get to Play with TT's last week, you could only do 6 full laps.

I mentioned to @basswerks1 on one occasion that it felt like the physics changed. As your fuel tank emptied out, you got faster. Now in real life, that would make sense as fuel is simply weight added to the car. Around lap 5-6, you would see around half a tank left over.

Now as a fan of Time Trials, this got my attention. The question is, did anyone else feel the same way???

Cheers

It's been an available feature for some offline events and online lobbies since the release of GT5. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't at least read about it or noticed the effects after all these years!

If you give this TT a go offline in arcade mode, you should lap noticeably faster as the fuel weight is not being added or calculated. Instead you run on an infinite tank that weighs nothing.

Last edited:
It's been an available feature for some offline events and online lobbies since the release of GT5. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't at least read about it or noticed the effects after all these years!

If you give this TT a go offline in arcade mode, you should lap noticeably faster as the fuel weight is not being added or calculated. Instead you run on an infinite tank that weighs nothing.

Although I have read about it being available before, it seems to be (in my opinion) few and far between that it was this noticeable. I seem to notice tire wear coming into effect way more than fuel weight to be honest. And in this particular TT, all my tires were at around 9/10 vs. the half(ish) tank of fuel.

Cheers

Heard my name...

Howdy everyone!! Hope everyone is doing well. Wishing you all a great holiday season... Lets celebrate life and the fact that GTplanet is such a peaceful joyeous family.

I have been ignoring my PS3 and GT6 due to a busy schedule and need from my family and life...

All is well ... Any complaint. On the track,let me know i will try to correct it at the next op.

Enjoy and cheers!

Hello all. I would like yo join you all in this group, seems a nice group, that will keep me driving new cars, trying to find those pearls for me to drive online, in all that blunder of s2000's and whatnot "muhbestcar" that is online racing.
i want to drive those fun, unique picks :v

Anyway. in the matter of online gatherings, I can make tuesday, if I'm at home. which I rarely am on that day, since its my day off, and i like giving time to my relationship. Saturday I'm at work at that time unfortunatly.

anyway, hope to share some insight and fun with you all

Hello all. I would like yo join you all in this group, seems a nice group, that will keep me driving new cars, trying to find those pearls for me to drive online, in all that blunder of s2000's and whatnot "muhbestcar" that is online racing.
i want to drive those fun, unique picks :v

Anyway. in the matter of online gatherings, I can make tuesday, if I'm at home. which I rarely am on that day, since its my day off, and i like giving time to my relationship. Saturday I'm at work at that time unfortunatly.

anyway, hope to share some insight and fun with you all

There are Time Trial events on our GT6 Community Club.

Last edited:

A clean race between that many LMP's; now that is a beautiful scene! :drool: :( :bowdown: Not sure how many of you know, but I am a huge fan of the WEC. I really feel as though I've missed out this time. But, well done everybody for keeping the fantastic spirit of COTW alive. With any luck, we will see you next tuesday.

Cheers

Last edited:

Well, it seems we have already found this week's gimmick... But if we must hit the pace car, the COTW races will become pure demolition derbys with the drivers trying to kill each other, so we'd best bring some caravans and dirt. Just saying.

That does remind me of something; will there another "Cops & Robbers" session with these cars, I wonder...? :sly:

Last edited:
Back