Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Isn't the pace car just a stock R34 with lights and livery? A nice car, but not terribly different unless I missed something.

You aren't wrong there, but the pace lights did make it Gran Turismo's only pace car, a godsend if you ran an online series with rolling race starts. Of course, now that the M4 has fulfilled that gap by being a Premium-level vehicle with working pace lights, this R34 has lost some of its meaning. It hasn't lost its place in GT history, mind you, but the version without pace lights will serve you better if you're looking for a different R34 in performance terms...

And the decals give it 100 more HP, duh.

You needed those extra 100 hp, since the car was apparently so much quicker than anything else during license tests... :lol:

You aren't wrong there, but the pace lights did make it Gran Turismo's only pace car, a godsend if you ran an online series with rolling race starts. Of course, now that the M4 has fulfilled that gap by being a Premium-level vehicle with working pace lights, this R34 has lost some of its meaning.

The main difference between the 2 cars is that you can run the GT-R in any race lobby whereas the BMW version needs a tuning allowed lobby. ;)

Hey, what track are we running the GT-R on?

It's a course maker version of Yas Marina (Abu Dhabi).

Cheers

Saved it. Are we doing full stock on the GT-R?

Yes... for the TT and COTW races on Tuesdays and Saturdays we always use stock versions of the car, no tuning or aero, but custom wheels, oil changes and chassis reinforcement are allowed.

A shoutout to @OGGamer to say thanks for putting my TS020 lap "Under Investigation"!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Probably wont be able to attend until after Christmas, I started a new job today which has 6am starts all through the week until the Xmas rush is over.

I'll dump a couple of pictures way back from GT4. No +4K emulated goodness, these were taken from my OG PS2 nearly 10 years ago. They are of two other previous COTWs getting as close to possible to the pace car without failing the license [Why were we failed for being faster? Butthurt?].

IMG0002.jpg

IMG0003.jpg

Last edited:
Saved it. Are we doing full stock on the GT-R?

The official TT's for COTW are entered via the club's page on GTP and can be found under current Club Events. If you want to run an official time that's where you go to do it. You don't need to download the track if you don't want to as it's all set up in the event for you when you create a room or join an existing one.

In view of your questions I wasn't sure if you knew this, apologies if you do :)

The Review
by CowboyAce57

PicsArt_11-24-08.01.45.jpg

"Do you know why I pulled you over sir?"
"No officer."
"I believe you passed me on that last corner."
"Yea, so?"
"You're not supposed to pass a pace car."

The R34 Pace Car and Gran Turismo

Yep, it's that car we all know and love. First seen in GT4, this car was quite a treat to those who liked different cars. My first thoughts are that it really isn't much different than a standard R34.

The Looks

Well the looks are that of the standard R34, but covered in a Gran Turismo livery and flashing lights. Sadly, this is one of those standards that has not been touched on by PD. Plus, this particular GT-R isn't my favorite looking one, but I don't hate it.

Under the Hood

The R34 packs a mighty 331 HP @ 7,500 rpm, and 340.5 ft-lb or torque @ 4,500 rpm. It weighs a hefty 1,560 kg and has a 2,568 cc engine. It is equipped with a sports exhaust to give it a bit of extra power.

Acceleration Test

0-60: 3.917 sec
0-100: 10.717 sec
400m: 12.333 sec
1000m: 23.150 sec
Top Speed: 167 mph

The pace car seemed to have a bit of slow acceleration, probably due to its weight (1,560 kg). It has a normal sounding top speed of 167 mph and has a completely different exhaust note than the stock GT-R.

Road Test

Where could I test this out at that lets its lights really shine? What better place than good old Route 5. First thing I noticed on this car was its promise of understeer, though that can be dealt with once you get to driving this more. If you don't like bright lights, this could present a bit of an issue of being able to see the road fully.

Pros and Cons
Pros:
  • It has a fair sounding exhaust.
  • Safe and easy to drive for novices.
  • Different from the rest because of the lights.
Cons:
  • Hefty price tag for an R34.
  • Performance is not much different than a stock R34.
  • Track visibility reduced due to flashing lights.

The Verdict

As nice as this car may be, this will be one of the few cars that will give a beater rating to. This car in my opinion was tuned for a more "track day" feeling, but that's not the problem. The problem is, how many online lobbies would allow this (other then cop rooms)? It can be tuned, but I think you should save this one for the chases.​

Last edited:
Safety Dance

12241351_189911871348779_4549072285246979835_n.jpg

Ahhh, the Nissan Skyline. Godzilla. Japan's Corvette. I don't think you can find anyone in the world of cars that doesn't know about this monstrous force from across the Pacific. Always ahead of the curve, always cutting edge, always garnering a gathering of fans who love them, and always being just out of reach of us in the United States.

12278730_189911934682106_709562234603188931_n.jpg

While that last bit is slowly not becoming the case anymore since the R32 is now legal stateside, there's no denying that the Skyline GT-R is something special. With its ATTESSA AWD system, and all sorts of driving aids built in, I don't really think much else has moved so many people. The R32 has always been my favorite because of it's 80s-esque lines and simplistic identity, but the majority agrees that the R34 is the best. And that's the one I get to drive today...but not just any R34. One with some spinny lights on the top. It's a pace car. I don't even know where to begin.

12247096_189911844682115_8856063679722553719_n.jpg

I pretty much already knew what to expect when I arrived at the track. These R34s are known for their speed and cornering ability. Safe to say, I wasn't disappointed. I pressed the gas pedal and all four wheels lurched the car forward in a virtual urge, like it was ready to get out on that track. Even with that seemingly fitting light bar on the roof, this thing was no slouch.

12247183_189911661348800_513251376914353491_n.jpg

Now I'm used to the way an AWD car handles, being a very avid Subaru driver and connoisseur. They usually understeer...a lot...of course some are different than others, but still. Happily, the GTR is one of those which is different. It's very flat, with a slight hint of understeer but nothing to make it a hassle. I quite like it, honestly, though the difficulty to get it slide is a bit of a fun killer...but I'm no drifter, anyway.

12278647_189911381348828_6714727433154633720_n.jpg

12234960_189911691348797_6016798260783033447_n.jpg

It's not that this car is painfully easy to drive, not everyone can just hop in and immediately put down an impressive lap time, but it just feels so carefree. This car knows what its doing, and it's beautiful in that way. Its nickname is very fitting...Godzilla. I finished the lap with a flurry of Japanese majesty and a smile on my face. 3:17.366. About ten seconds slower than that Viper from two weeks ago, but I'm not mad...at least I'm not fearing my life in this thing.

12246975_189911524682147_8365181400765382426_n.jpg

The Verdict
After a quick race in this thing, and completely dominating the competition full of Subarus and Evos, I think I have a definite opinion on the old GTR: Sleeper. The way this car drives, the way it presents itself, the effect it's had on people...it's all special, and whether it's wearing a Pace Car livery or it's cruising the Wangan in Midnight Purple, it's an absolute gem.

11031964_189911368015496_4195311936675599991_n.jpg

Now if only today's Nissan could just make cars like they used to...

I personally think the Pace Car can be quicker despite no major differences in power or weight compared to the stock R34's.

My theory as to why? the Pace Car is slightly more prepped for track duty with a soft race suspension and a 6 speed gearbox with a much closer ratio than the stock 6 speed.

Of course race night could confirm or discredit my theory so we'll have to see how it turns out. ;)

I personally think the Pace Car can be quicker despite no major differences in power or weight compared to the stock R34's.

My theory as to why? the Pace Car is slightly more prepped for track duty with a soft race suspension and a 6 speed gearbox with a much closer ratio than the stock 6 speed.

Of course race night could confirm or discredit my theory so we'll have to see how it turns out. ;)
It also comes with a sports exhaust.

Latest Posts

Back