Beater or Sleeper? COTW Forza 7 Week:END The Ultimate Sleeper, The Holden Sandman! Thanks Everyone!!

Didn't Populuxe get top 50 with the Infiniti coupe we looked at?
You're missing a digit. I was 150th on the worldwide leaderboard, but that was still inside the top 1%. I just checked, I'm now 1,027th on the worldwide leaderboard, but it's still good for the top 1%. There were more than 71,000 times posted almost two years ago. Now there are 326,435.

So with the double header for this done and dusted, let’s chalk up the times.

Aston at COTA
@Vic Reign93 1:52.602
@ClydeYellow 1:56.379
@Nacho Libre 1:59.494

And the Saleen at Silverstone

@Vic Reign93 2:08.851
@Thomas2012 2:08.956
@Nacho Libre 2:15.559

Good times from all this week. 👍

Congratulations @Populuxe Cowboy!!!

This week you have the floor for all of us on what we drive and where at.

You settled on..

9545FD4B-EB6D-46C7-B4B5-CABBD3ADB78B.png

The 1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato!!!

Remember the V12 Zagato we drove some time back?

This is where that relationship between AM and Zagato began. :cool:

Basically Zagato took a normal DB4 GT, reshaped it and replaced steel parts with lighter aluminium parts and ditching the bumpers for a 45kg drop in weight to 2,701lbs in game.

First debuting in FM4 as DLC, it’s power is made by a 3.7 Inline 6 making 314hp and 278ft-lbs of torque which is mated to a 4 speed manual gearbox.

With a small number of DB4 Zagatos built and with a 1962 DB4 GT Zagato going up at auction back in 2015 for £9.45 million (for context, it didn’t even cost £5.5k back in 1962.:eek:), It’s definitely one not to stick in the gravel trap or tyre wall. :P

This weeks time trial takes us back to Brands Hatch Grand Prix layout and its famous turns which over the years have claimed many race cars in its gravel traps and wrecked many touring cars.

Let’s try not and add this car to that list now.:D

One Last Thing.

We are getting close to the 1 year mark for FM7 COTW so it might be time to look at the cars we’ve driven so far and start considering a shortlist for the awards ceremony, of course you can choose to wait until the last normal pick has been made and that’s fine too. 👍

And did those wheels in ancient time,
Roll upon Englands forests green:
And was the Aston DB4,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Zagato body Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was the sports car builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Shoes of burning gold;
Bring me my Gloves of desire:
Bring me my Suit: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from driving fast,
Nor shall my shifter sleep in my hand:
Till we have raced Brands Hatch circuit,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.

With apologies to William Blake.

Sleeper.

Last edited:
608219DC-5898-48D5-ADF2-D6AF62BA2655.jpeg

The DB4 Zagato, like many classics in forza has the jelly suspension which can lift the front tyres up in certain conditions and limit steering.

Brakes while not sharp, aren’t terrible either. :)

1st gear being long means it does bog down on a standing start, not so much on rolling starts, but after that the gearing is quite decent.

And the glorious sounding Inline 6 does provide some good acceleration to boot. :drool:

Considering how much these go for at auctions, 200k to buy one in FM7 seems like a one heck of a bargain. :P

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Screenshot (1266).png

Back after a break, I managed a 1:49.442
Not a bad car whatsoever and it's a looker too! I prefer having the bumpers on, but that adds an advantage :P
Just the suspension needs stiffening and better brakes added. Otherwise it's a sleeper.

That is a beautiful adaptation to William Blake's poem Populuxe, think I'll print and frame that!

*Beep*, here’s your PSA from Vic Reigns. :P

If you haven’t posted a time for this weeks time trial, you have less than 24 hours until the event closes so don’t leave it late now. :D

Ok the next few lines will show us the times. :P

@Vic Reign93 1:48.518
@pompeypigeon 1:49.442
@Obelisk 1:52.865
@Nacho Libre 1:54.076
@Populuxe Cowboy 1:54.715

It’s been awhile since we drove a car from the Forza Specials division so let’s rectify that issue. :D

While two of the Forza Specials arguably shouldn’t be there (The Porsche 804 and the Toyota T100 Baja Truck.), This one does thanks to the Vans and Utility class not coming over to FM7.

It is...

87A278F5-D940-48DF-8EF0-2E62C777379B.png

The 1974 Holden Sandman HQ Panel Van!!!

Get your easy Metallica references out of your system now. :lol:

Another Aussie classic for this week which combined Panel Van practically with Sporty performance and interior options.

The trend at the time was people using the panel van section for custom interiors with stereos, mirrors, carpet and mattress’s and topping them off with some pretty sweet paint jobs like the above picture for example. 👍

The one we have is a 240hp 5.0 litre V8 with a 4 speed manual gearbox weighing under 3,300lbs.

Fun fact: If you go to rear wings for the Sandman, you’ll find something hilarious, If you take the panel van off and turn it into a Ute, it gains 9lbs of weight where as if you add the 2 surfboards option, the car gets lighter by 99lbs. :crazy:

Figure that one out. :P

This week I figured with the Sandman being a car an Aussie of the time would go to the beach with, We’ll be taking the Holden to Rio De Janeiro and along the National layout.

Have fun out there, soak up the sun and sea, but don’t end up in A&E. :lol:👍

Last edited:

nicelap.png

I am really proud of this lap. It's the fastest I think I've ever pulled a car like this through Rio.

The Sandman itself, though. What a treat. It has the classic "Boat" handling like most others from its era, but it holds on so well. Sleeper.

No one has done a livery for the Sandman based on Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic, and I am very disappointed.

7CD3B8AE-42CD-4DAF-B03F-D336F4190FFF.jpeg

I can see what @Obelisk meant when he said it can hold on despite the boat’ish handling characteristics. :P

It maybe a panel van, but it’s underpinnings still have sporty written all over them, Engine was good, Gearing for its power level is nicely matched and its brakes aren’t too bad either. ;)

It’s a canvas in both senses of the word, A good base to build a off beat C-B Class car and also design a sweet as hell liverly for it.

This car doesn’t need a visit from the Sandman as it’s already a Sleeper. :lol:

Ok folks, here’s your 24hrs left reminder for you to get your times on the board. :P

Forza Motorsport 7 Screenshot 2018.09.04 - 21.48.45.12.png

Somewhat irritated by constant invalid laps from which I don't think I actually went over the lines. (I think pausing causes it too? Not sure.) Either way after quite a few 1:57's which were apparently invalid I finally managed a valid lap (1 out of 9). Now the Sandman, what a car I must say. I had to check what class it was again because for a C-D class it feels very fast for its rating. Handling wise she likes to float but it's controllable not like some jelly suspension, engine is good delivering enough power for it's 4 gears. Surprised the heck out of me how quick it felt. To be fair I should know I've basically been in one many times in Australia :lol: Definitely a Sleeper!

Either way after quite a few 1:57's which were apparently invalid I finally managed a valid lap
Did you cut the tire chicanes at the bottom of the hill? They changed the track limits there so going four wheels over any of those curbs invalidates the lap.

Did you cut the tire chicanes at the bottom of the hill? They changed the track limits there so going four wheels over any of those curbs invalidates the lap.

Had no worries there strangely enough, I even run the blue lines on for reassurance but manage to cut most of my laps :ill: at some points I’d be around the exit if the right hand tunnel corner going up with an invalid lap. Once I think I cut turning into the final left corner. Most cuts were so subtle I wouldn’t even notice, then check the timer and sigh

Maybe I just need to improve haha

You're faster than I am and right up there with Vic. What do you mean you need to improve?

To be fair, Rio is kind of rough. I think what's getting you is turn 1's boundaries.

In terms of consistency considering it took a good 8 laps haha. Yeah normally I realise straight away as soon as a laps invalid but this time had heaps of problems lapping. Oh well 👍

Just wait till Vic goes again! :bowdown:

So here are the times for this week.

@Thomas2012 1:58.108
@Vic Reign93 1:58.455
@Obelisk 2:00.227

Props to the Prism for getting within 2 seconds of me and just over 2 seconds from Thomas, hopefully it’ll be like that more often. :D:tup:

Congratulations @Thomas2012 !!!

For someone who dropped by to see what COTW was about, you definitely can hold your own in equal machinery, so let’s see how you do when you pick the car and track for this week.

And you settled on a sought after gem from the mid to late 2000’s from our good friends in Germany.

It is..

5DF2CFAD-85FD-4EA8-9BD2-8F7BA522AD5E.png

The 2009 BMW M5!!!

The first ever production sedan to be equipped with a V10 engine, The E60 model M5 debuted back in 2005 and immediately jumped to the top of the high performance sedan class.

The aforementioned V10 with its uneven firing order packs 5.0 litres of displacement and made 500hp and 383ft-lbs of torque.

The power was sent to the rear via BMW’s SMG III 7 speed gearbox which was your only option unless you were stateside as a 6 speed manual was available from 2006 onwards. :drool:

But the stateside guys didn’t get the M5 Touring whereas we did so it evens itself out. :lol:

With close to 1,800kgs of weight (4,012lbs ingame) it definitely isn’t a lightweight so you’re gonna have to make her dance at this weeks track.

The track for this week is one I was reluctant to do in the past, but now with the revised track limits I’ve got no problems running it.;)

It is of course the full layout of the Top Gear Test Track in the dry.

Just an fyi, the M5 set a standing start time of 1:26.2, do what you like with that info.:P

Best of luck people :cheers:

C3332D07-B083-43C7-907E-A69C848BBB3E.jpeg

When you think of factory Sleepers (Or Q Cars if you’re a Brit.:P), the ones that tend to be first thought of are either the Lotus Carlton or the BMW M5 in its many model generations.

The first two (The E28 and E34) had more potent Inline 6 engines, The E39 M5 added 2 more cylinders with its near 400hp 5.0 V8 and then after that we arrive here, with the E60 M5.

Same 5.0 displacement, but 2 more cylinders for a 500 hp V10.

Despite weighing over 4,000lbs, it does get stopped relatively well and it will get the tail out with a little encouragement. ;)

Of course, if one was to nitpick, I could say it does need a weight loss or a power boost to make it that much sweeter, but interestingly, BMW is ahead of me on that.

Back in 2009 to celebrate 25 years of the M5, they built a one-off CSL version (The only M5 to get such treatment.) which was claimed to be 50kgs lighter and around 80hp more powerful courtesy of the V10 being stroked up to 5.5 litres. :drool:

But getting back to the normal M5, it lives up to its reputation as a wolf in sheeps clothing.

But sadly I now have to lower the tone somewhat.

Earlier today (or late yesterday for me), It was sadly announced that Burt Reynolds had died at the age of 82 years old.

A man who got into acting, not to be taken too seriously, but to have a damn good time in doing it. :cheers:

While movies like Deliverence, Boogie Nights are talked about with great praise when talking about his career, to the auto enthusiasts like you or me, it’s the likes of Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit that catch our attention. :)

It kinda goes without saying by this point, but we do have the very same Pontiac Firebird Trans Am he drove in FM7 so I figured it’d be a good idea to dedicate Week 50 of COTW to the man himself and the machine he drove on the big screen.

I’m still deciding on a track, but don’t worry it’ll definitely be in America. 👍

I adore this car, the sound the handling it all works so well in my opinion. I remember lapping this car back in the day on Gran Turismo 4 and now in Forza it's all relatively the same, great fun and super satisfying. In terms of overall speed for a heavy beast it sure knows how to move and howl its way down the track. Shame you cannot torture the tires as heard on Top Gear. Verdict: Sleeper!
Forza Motorsport 7 Screenshot 2018.09.04 - 21.59.35.11.png

24 hrs to go before the next time trial starts, also I WILL be making another run with the M5 tomorrow. :mischievous:

Back