Beater or Sleeper? COTW Forza 7 Week:END The Ultimate Sleeper, The Holden Sandman! Thanks Everyone!!

0553848D-CFA6-441D-81FC-1C9788888D56.jpeg

Safe to say I was more than just successful. :P

Dang, I'm caught with the update so I won't be able to post a picture of my crappy time :dunce::ouch: (It's in the leaderboards for sure). Anyways, this generation of the 5 series is probably a modern classic in all respects, and a SLEEPER.

Dang, I'm caught with the update so I won't be able to post a picture of my crappy time :dunce::ouch: (It's in the leaderboards for sure). Anyways, this generation of the 5 series is probably a modern classic in all respects, and a SLEEPER.

If it was set before the deadline, Get a photo with the date the time was set and i’ll retroactively place it amongst the others. 👍

Speaking of the times,

@Vic Reign93 1:19.329
@Drex124 1:19.889
@FastBud 1:20.352
@Thomas2012 1:20.419
@Obelisk 1:21.437

Great times all round, Obelisk is just over 2 seconds behind this week and just under 2 seconds last week, can’t knock the consistency. ;)👍

Thank You Burt Reynolds!!!

Another legend is gone from the Silver Screens and it’s the man who took off his hat for one thing and one thing only. :sly:

Burt Reynolds has like I mentioned last week, a great list of movies that stand on their own, but to car enthusiasts, he’s known for The Cannonball Run and few other car based movies.

BUT, the movie he’s best known for is of course, Smokey And The Bandit, With Reynolds playing the titular Bandit and driving this,

AF7424AB-EC6B-40E4-9F06-B8BFA099E249.png

The 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am!!!

The Black on Gold icon which gave the cops all sorts of grief on the big screens is powered by a 6.6 litre Pontiac V8 which you think will give a decent amount of power, but sadly this is late 70’s America and they are still struggling to get cars to hit emission regulations and as a consequence, power took a hit with the Trans Am making only 201hp (although the NHRA tested it and found it was closer to 260hp.) and 325ft-lbs of torque.

Weighing in at 3,800lbs, I wouldn’t go into this week with high performance expectations, but happily T10 brought out a doozy of a free car with the update which’ll offset that, but I’ll get to that in a moment. ;)

We’ll be paying tribute to Burt Reynolds this week by driving the Trans Am at Watkins Glen Short Circuit, so slip on some East Bound and down, throw on a cowboy hat, pick up a runaway bride and put the Firebird through its paces. :D

(I’m not liable if one of you gets busted for following that list to a T.:lol:)

As for that aforementioned freebie..

C4DC0D41-E9E2-4D1C-9962-A6821F881DCB.png

It’s the 1984 Nissan #11 Skyline Turbo Super Silhouette!!!

Talk about a blast from the past. :eek:

To you and me our first experience with this bonkers racer was on Gran Turismo 2 and we all thought it’d never get a second shot at life in a mainstream console game.

Guess it’s good to be proven wrong once in a while. :lol:

It uses the exact same engine as the other Nissan Silhouette in FM7(Bluebird), A 2.1 litre turbo 4 cylinder making 562hp and 397ft-lbs of torque.

After Group 5 wrapped up, Nissan built another Skyline with Group C in mind, but it was admittedly not a great performer, this article does a good job on covering the whole thing.

https://jalopnik.com/the-skyline-that-lied-when-nissan-built-a-race-car-it-1821574622

The track for the Skyline to absolutely no ones surprise is Suzuka full in the dry.

So the Bandit and the Silhouette, Icons from different eras, brought under one roof with the same goal, go as fast as mechanically possible.

One Final thing, We are over 2 weeks out from FH4 being released for the early access players, but just under 2 weeks from Week 52, COTW’s yearly award ceremony, so to all of you, I would start seriously considering your picks for Sleeper of the year or Beater of the year, and any other unique awards you want me to hand out, drop me a PM when you’ve decided or if you got any questions about it. :)

Best of luck people. :cheers:

8B1755B6-83E1-4C8E-A99E-BC50C52ECDBB.jpeg

Finally managed to drag myself away from the FH4 demo and get these times in. :D

The Firebird is lacking straight line performance due to the heavily choked 6.6 V8, torque was good but it dropped off so shifting around 4K rpm helped keep it in some of its torque band.

Handling wasn’t terrible, not overly grippy but it did get turned in nicely.

Definitely needs a power boost, but it still squeaks out a Neutral verdict.. Just.

Verdict: Neutral

3F41BA7D-B80D-42FF-BDA1-20A7F7AC74B0.jpeg

The Nissan was predictably, a blast to drive, keeping the 2.1 litre engine on boost and not getting caught out by it at lower speeds.

Brakes were good, handling was good and it sounded good too.

Another good freebie for all to enjoy. ;)

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

Ok folks, you 24 hours to get Eastbound and down and load up your times to the leaderboard before the Time Trial is over. :P

So only two set of times for this week, hopefully the next pick is more popular.

Watkins Glen:
@Vic Reign93 1:35.323
@Nacho Libre 1:40.146

Suzuka:
@Vic Reign93 2:04.831
@Nacho Libre 2:13.105

So week 51 is here and as a nod to Forza Horizon 4’s cover car, I decided to bring out Mclarens first cover car for this week.

A car that needs no introduction, but is getting one anyway..:P

85FE2D98-E8A3-4289-B930-DE239CBC6C8D.png

The 2013 Mclaren P1!!!

Hard to believe the P1 is already 5 years old, seems like only yesterday we had the Holy Trinity of Hypercars on top of the world, but with the Senna set to outrun all on the track and the Mclaren Speedtail being the 3 seat spiritual successor to the F1 on its way, The P1 is looking to prove this week it’s still a force to be reckoned with. ;)

Powered by a tweaked version of the 3.8 twin turbo V8 which was used (in different power levels) in every modern Mclaren right up until to the 720S, it’s then assisted by a built in house 179hp electric motor which gives the P1 a total of 903hp and 663ft-lbs of torque.

With a 7 speed gearbox, active aero and sticky road tyres, The P1 is still one to watch out for if you happen to see one on track.

This weeks showdown is at Road America Full layout to really stretch the legs of the P1. 👍

And now for the final reminder.

Next week will be the COTW Awards show in which we’ll crown our winners and losers of FM7 COTW.

We have a few regular awards and they are as follows.

‘The New Kid on the block award’ For Best Newcomer player to COTW

‘The Schwarzenegger ‘Predator’ award’ For ugliest front end on a car.

‘The Most Fun award’ For the most fun car to drive regardless of Beater or Sleeper verdict.

‘The Junkyard Sale award’ For the FM7 Beater of the year.

‘The Autoshow Gemstone award’ For the FM7 Sleeper of the year.

Send your votes to me via PM on here and you can include your own awards if you want to spice things up a little. :P

So @Obelisk @Populuxe Cowboy @FastBud @pompeypigeon @Drex124 @Thomas2012 @Nacho Libre @ClydeYellow Let me know what you guys are voting for in them. 👍

Let’s light the fires and shred those tyres, Best of luck people. :cheers:

Last edited:
536A3FE5-AF42-4F1C-B009-9334AC9440B4.jpeg

Probably a little more time out there for someone to find. :P

The P1, You have to really stand on the anchors to scrub off the speed it oh so easily gains, at low speed turns it can still light up the rears in 3rd gear and the front could be more eager to turn in to corners.

It’s both extremely fast and easy to drive at 8/10’ths, but you really need to put the work in to get the full 10/10’ths out of it.

Verdict: Neutral (But you’ll be a fool to not pick up one up.;))

Remember, Send your votes for next weeks award show to me, Obelisk has already locked his picks in, get yours in too. 👍

IMG_20180921_174758192.jpg

Yikes. In stock tires braking is very difficult at the limit: Too little and you go straight, too much and you get lift oversteer, overall it feels off and it understeers a lot too. I managed to get a couple of clean laps and that's it, not very enjoyable, a very expensive BEATER!

Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of running recently, had a really busy schedule. My time will free up significantly after the 16th Nov. for now I have to make do with what I can sadly.

Feels quite bad to drive to be honest, at least it sounds awesome still. The brakes are very hard to get a feel for, it's either locking the rears or not pulling up in time. Surprisingly I'd probably say this is the worst car I've driven in COTW :lol: I'll stick to Assetto if I want to try the P1. Not much to say other than that I did not enjoy driving this car... Beater! Widow maker in most, whiner maker on Forza (For me at least!)
Forza Motorsport 7 Screenshot 2018.09.22 - 18.13.58.27.png

I have to ask, what are the plans now that Horizon 4 is well... on the horizon :sly:. Will we be switching over immediately and closing off this chapter, or will it be like it happened with FH3, both series running along side each other for a few weeks? That's assuming there's any plans to do FH4 at all that is.

I've been meaning to do this COTW stuff so many times but I always forgot... Anyway, I did manage to try this week's car :D

I never liked driving this car in PC2 or Assetto Corsa, but it's actually quite fun in FM7. Yes, the brakes lock up easily and it has somewhat poor traction at low speeds, but it's a challenging car to drive fast and I like that. Then again, I find modern McLarens really boring and I'd rather never see one again :lol:

Week51.png

I have to ask, what are the plans now that Horizon 4 is well... on the horizon :sly:. Will we be switching over immediately and closing off this chapter, or will it be like it happened with FH3, both series running along side each other for a few weeks? That's assuming there's any plans to do FH4 at all that is.

That’ll be something I’ll address at the awards show.

Speaking of which folks, to the ones who haven’t sent their votes to me for the mentioned awards, you’re running outta time. :P

Forza Motorsport 7 9_25_2018 4_39_19 PM.png

Here's a Fastboi (2:05.622)

Forza Motorsport 7 9_25_2018 5_17_38 PM.png

And a me (2:05.574)

While the tech was impressive, and it made hybrid cars "cool" again, I just can not get into driving it. I'd elaborate but really I'd just be repeating whats been said.
Beater

Ok here are the times for the P1.

@Sutuki 2:03.912
@Thomas2012 2:05.293
@Vic Reign93 2:05.423
@Drex124 2:05.574
@FastBud 2:05.622
@Nacho Libre 2:10.226

So with Fastbud and Drex nipping at my heels, Thomas pipping me to the post and Sutuki taking a pool cue to all our family jewels, we conclude this weeks showdown and start our main event.

Welcome to the FM7’s COTW Award Show, I’ve skipped out on a drummer this year as the last one at the FH3 award show did a Keith Moon and double charged his drums pyrotechnics, my ears are still ringing from that. :P

Anyways take it away... Myself. :D

‘The Schwarzenegger ‘Predator’ award’ For ugliest front end.

Not all cars are sculpted equally, some have Italian stylings like Bertone, others on the other hand were styled by blind people high on meth. :sly:

This award is one for the latter camp and the nominees are.

The Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
The KTM X Bow GT4
The Nissan Skyline Turbo Silhouette

With two votes for it, the winner is..

5518C206-CB9A-4E86-912E-2D0953E51F45.png

The Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air!!!

Now please, go ram something other than air, preferably a wall. :crazy:

‘The New Kid On The Block Award’
This one is for the newcomer to the COTW lore who showed up, got stuck in and put on a good show.

The winner is as there was no other voted nominees is..

@Thomas2012 !!!

I would say it’s like a ‘Rookie Of The Year’ deal, but you weren’t a rookie in your pace. :lol:

Congratulations :cheers:

Now for an award created by one of you guys, ‘The Day-One Patch Award’.

This is for the best car that was added post launch either as DLC or a freebie.

The Winner is..

14E3A68E-0A88-487C-AE42-723969FDF025.png

The 1983 Jaguar Group 44 XJR-5!!!

Ending up in the Early Prototype Racers division, It became the preferred choice on the power tracks like Daytona or Le Mans with its hard to match pace.

And it’s a racing Jaguar V12, What’s not to like? :drool:

Next up is ‘The Most Fun Award’ for the car that regardless of its verdict, you guys had the most fun driving in.

The Nominees are as follows..

The Cadillac XTS Limousine

The Mazda RX-3
The BMW M1 Procar
The Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI GSR

A four way tie on the votes, Which leaves the deciding vote to me.

I choose...

7FA79D6E-37F5-455C-950A-43970FE12E53.png

The BMW M1 Procar!!!

As odd as it may sound, It was very close between this and the Limo, But in the end, oddballness can only get you so far. ;)👍

Now it’s time to answer the question, the reason we’re all here, Beater or Sleeper? Which car is what?

‘The Junkyard Sale Award For Beater Of The Year’
For the car that in one way or another, grinded our gears and made us hate it, Actually hate is a strong word, let’s say it made us REALLY not like it. :P

The Nominees are..

The 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS
The Mclaren P1
The Shelby Daytona
The Ford Mustang II King Cobra

Christ, You guys sure picked some expensive metal for this one. :D

All 4 have a reason to be here, two have jelly suspension, one doesn’t wanna stop and the other doesn’t wanna get going. :lol:

It’s another tie and I was gonna struggle on what to pick, but then I noticed I was very kind when I gave one of these cars a Neutral.

And if you have to very kind to give just a Neutral verdict, it probably wasn’t that hot to begin with.

Your FM7 Beater Of The Year is...

A62670EE-92F1-435A-8B19-C9643F0523ED.png

The Ford Mustang II King Cobra!!!

The hottest version of the Mustang II still struggles to get out of its own way and now it’s got the trophy to show for it.

Congratulations you underpowered pile of sCrap. 👎

And now the big one, The holy grail of COTW, ‘The Autoshow Gemstone Award For Sleeper Of The Year’.

And the Nominations are..

The Cadillac XTS Limousine
The Holden Sandman Panel Van
The KTM X-Bow GT4
The Lotus Elise GT1

The comedy Forza Specials against the GT racers.

Well given It’s another 4 way tie, It comes down to me.

Well sadly it ain’t the Limo as it had Neutral verdict from me, the other 3 however..

I have to ask myself this question, what were my expectations going in to drive each of them?

I knew the Lotus and KTM were gonna be handling animals and easy to drive, but I couldn’t be sure what to properly make of the Sandman.

It has quite small tyres front and back but with slightly soft suspension which by all rights should make it a rather annoying car to drive.

And Yet..

It looked at me and said, ‘Nah mate, I’m more than just some 🤬 beachmobile, I’ll prove you wrong and then I’ll throw a shrimp on the Barbecue.’ :sly:

It is of the 3 cars, the one that surprised me the most and therefore your winner is..

B0D4CD41-DAAE-4CFC-8D9D-E0D316A8ACF1.png

The Holden Sandman Panel Van!!!

The one from the land down under has ascended to the top and is your FM7 Sleeper Of The Year. :cheers:

The question you’re probably asking now is, What happens now?

T10 have stated that they will continue to work on FM7 and not give up on it, but i’m aware of the fact that interest in FM7 will shift to FH4 instead with it being released this Friday to Ultimate Edition players and next Tuesday to all.

So here’s what’ll happen, The FM7 COTW will continue up until October 30th which’ll be a Tuesday and a few days after Route Creator comes to FH4.

The FH4 COTW will be started next Tuesday when everyone has the game and we’ll be starting with cheap cars and going from there.

If you have any other questions, let me know, but until next time, This has been Vic Reigns, live from the FM7 COTW Awards Show.

Thanks for joining me on this thread, let’s push on to till the end.

Finally, with FH4 out this week, You guys can take this week off, Showcase what you did with the cars you kept, Enjoy :cheers:

Last edited:
Finally found time to reply (after a early morning FH4 play). The awards were great! Awesome read to go through, thanks for the award of the newcomer (even though really I was the last person to join I think). To more COTW’s :cheers: whether it’s FM or FH.

Enjoy the break people? :P

I had originally had planned to start up the FH4 branch of COTW before announcing this weeks FM7 car, but there’s been a setback.

After checking the Rivals events, there’s event restrictions on each of the routes under the rivals like class limits, division limits and even ones in loaned cars and no way of taking a normal car on one of those routes by ourselves for time trials. :ouch:

So I’m holding back on starting it up until the Route Creator is here and know how that all works in that aspect.

If there’s a workaround, do please let me know about it. :)

Just thought I keep you guys updated, plus it gives you a few extra weeks to build up your money and car collection, but importantly, enjoy FH4. :D

I’ll be back later to announce the new car for this week. 👍

Ok folks, This weeks candidate is classic French madness.

It is..

CD8AEED6-747A-4BD8-B886-26F5D9B2D5F0.png

The 1980 Renault 5 Turbo!!!

Ah the 80’s, when taking a humble city runabout and turning it into a fire spitting, turbo homologation special was the norm.

The predecessor to the equally mad V6 Clio, the 5 Turbo packed a 1.4 turbo Inline 4 and made 157hp and 163ft-lbs of torque in a car weighing 2,138lbs.

With 60% of the weight over the rear axle, a relatively short wheelbase and of course 80’s turbos brings 80’s turbo lag, it’s still capable of getting you into trouble rather quick. :P

The track for this week is the Club Circuit layout up in the Bernese Alps.

But there’s a contender this week..

October’s own spotlight car and technically a new manufacturer to Forza.

Introducing...

D5B07484-B577-44F6-B3EB-7FCFE277D860.png

The 1986 Merkur #11 Mac Tools XR4Ti!!!

Now the reason why I said it’s technically a new manufacturer is because Merkur is german for Mercury and we already have Mercury in the game and the road car was sold through Lincoln Mercury dealerships back in its day. :P

Sadly, I think they already have made a blunder with this car.

According to the Forzavista details, It packs a 600hp NA 6 litre V8, however the sound they used for it is similar to the IMSA Mustang and the Group 5 Capri, which are 4 cylinder cars.

So I branched out into Youtube and found the Merkur racing at Sears Point in 1988 and the commentators said the Merkur was turboed and the sound of a blow off valve was heard under braking.

I can say without question, The sound doesn’t match the engine or the engine doesn’t match the sound.

I recommend doing your own research to decide for yourselves. ;)

In any case, The Merkur will be driven at the full layout at Daytona where it won the GTO class at the 1988 Daytona 24hr race and 10th overall.

Let’s get back into the swing of things for now and hope the Route Creator can salvage COTW for FH4.

Best of luck people. 👍

4687B154-F0A9-40AE-BD53-121F98F416F3.jpeg

So the Renault 5 Turbo, Was quite fun to drive through the Alps for the most part.

The rear suspension did bottom out going around the fast left hander before the downhill section, lifting up the front wheels and causing some understeer and it tried swapping ends on me on a different lap at the bottom of the hill section.

It’s still a decent low’ish powered hot hatch, it just shows its age in certain conditions. :P

Verdict: Neutral (A good Neutral too;))

And the Merkur..

4FA9B61F-F73A-46C4-B184-E3ED10A7A9F0.jpeg

Straight out the gate, the engine sound difference can mess with you, it’s a lower revving version of the Group 5 Capri’s engine sound so you assume there’s gonna be turbo lag, but it’s a 6 litre 600hp N/A V8 with instant response so it can catch you out if you’re not careful.

Having said that, it’s handling is good, still pulls about 186mph on the front straight and stops decently.

It’s a good car, plus it’s a freebie, can’t go wrong with that. :D

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

*Beep* This is a message to all COTW runners, you now have less than 24 hours to post your times before the time trials are finished. :P

Forza Motorsport 7 10_9_2018 6_38_46 PM.png

"An MR deathtrap in sheeps clothing" - My idiot brain

Neutral because it shows its age.

Back