Beater or Sleeper? COTW Forza 7 Week:END The Ultimate Sleeper, The Holden Sandman! Thanks Everyone!!

It feels kind of awesome to be in the same second as all those homologated fellows... Let's spoil the leaderboard!
My opinion is easy, not only is a sleeper, but a stunner, and probably my favorite car in all the game!
IMG_20180307_220140380.jpg

Last edited:
So the M1 Procar, 471hp’s worth of N/A goodness (There’s even a turbo version of the Procar with as high as 850hp :eek:) been pushed to its limit on a technical track and this week I decided to record the lap. :)

I really can’t fault the M1 Procar if i’m honest, It stops well, grips like hell and the smooth powerband of the engine means it’s easy to drive at its limits without the need for traction control.

Definitely worth getting for the collector or driver in you. ;)

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

As for the Jag..
197EC528-1EAA-463A-B45C-B3C9A31E4816.jpeg

It’s a potential dark horse in the Early Prototype Racers division even though it’s taking on the later model XJR-9 Jaguar’s as well. :P

Took most of the turns in 2nd gear as 1st would always spin the tyres up, but its quick and packing a great soundtrack to boot. :drool:

With a good tune on it, it could potentially be a threat to most prototype racers, but it’s pretty decent in stock form to boot.

Oh, wow, an IMSA double whammy? Count me in!

In the 1970s BMW, which just ten years prior was an ailing company on the verge of being bought out by their rival Daimler-Benz, was building a solid reputation on the base of the Neue Klasse models. At the 1972 Summer Olympics, which were taking place in their hometown of Munich, they presented to the public the Turbo, a concept car clad in a futuristic body penned by Paul Bracq, equipped with a suite of technological gyzmos that would remain firmly planted in the realms of sci-fi until today (and including a radar-aided braking assist), and pushed forward by the 2-litre, turbocharged inline-4 engine of the 2002 Turbo, mounted midships. Little did the public know, but the Turbo wasn't just an idle exercise in style and fantasy: it prefigured the first (and only) German production supercar of the wedge era, the M1.

The cockpit's the usual BMW affair - clean and driver-focused

The original design was improved upon by Giugiaro and his Italdesign company, and Lamborghini tinkered with the chassis; the 4-cylinder engine from the top-of-the-line 2002 replaced by a straight-6 displacing almost twice as much, lifted from the 3.0 CSL - the infamous "Batmobile" that in the mid-70s established the dominance of the newborn "Motorsport" division - again placed behind the cockpit, with a longitudinal orientation. The M1 was to be something that lacked from the BMW lineup at the time: a purebred racecar, built in very limited numbers to allow Munich to compete in the Group 4 and Group 5 categories of the World Sportscar Championship. However, delays in its development and changes in the rules for homologation deprived it of a chance to truly shine; the debut of Porsche's gargantuan 935 in the Group 5 division, and the decision by BMW to focus their efforts in an ambitious F1 program with Brabham put the final nail on its coffin. But there was still a category in which it was guaranteed to succeed: the Procar series.

The brakes on the M1 are surprisingly responsive for a car of its age - allowing to delay their use quite considerably

Running for two years, in 1979 and 1980, the Procar Championship was a one-make support series for the Formula 1 World Championship, originally intended by M's boss Jochen Neeerpasch to give BMW a way to develop the M1 in an actual racing environment (while selling some cars and thus bring them closer to the homologation goals). Some of the best drivers of the circus went door-to-door in the Group 4 variation of the car, entered by teams with their roots in touring car and GT racing. But by 1981, with BMW going all-in on F1, the Procar series folded, leaving Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet as its only two champions. The cars would go on to race all over the world in different disciplines, including endurance racing and even rallying (with a car developed by Oreca and clad in the Motul colors achieving some success in the French Rally Championship, with Bernard Darniche and, later, Bernard Béguin doing the driving).

The M88/1 inline-6 output's more than 400 hp, and one of the best soundtracks a German car's ever made

For me it was love at first sight with the M1. Wedge cars were rarely adapted into racers - in their heyday they were basically evicted from the world of racing, first by the 935, and then by prototypes such as the 962 - and so the wide fender flares and tall spoiler applied to the shape make this a quite unique item. And of course there is the charm of a car that could've achieved much more, if it hadn't been so unlucky. So, is its behavior on track up to its reputation? The answer is a resounding yes. The steering is nimble and responsive, the brakes will stop you on a dime, and the motor is powerful and disciplined, if a bit peaky. No car in its division is so sure-footed... A shame it has to play catch-up to truly be competitive, then.

Still, you wouldn't expect this car to even be on the same planet as the fearsome Zakspeed Capris, or the Beta Montecarlo. Definitely a sleeper... Although I guess having its Group 5 sister would be a reason for much celeberation. Take a hint, T10.

Pros: there is no car from Group 4 that even comes close to it;
Cons: where is my turbocharger, T10?

Laptime (Nürburgring GP Circuit): 02:05.877

FM7_1740.png

As for the Jaguar...

...yes?

...I've already went through its history and expressed a very positive impression of its handling here. And I feel like there is nothing to add to what I've already said: despite my inability to find a decent pace at Long Beach, the car is suprisingly fast, especially relative to its PI rating, that'd put it in a "Early P2" category of sorts if there was one. So, not only this week's cars have had a history of success in IMSA racing, but they also punch far above their weight and aim, even in stock form, at the giants of their division.

So, again, a sleeper - well, for as much as you call "sleeper" a Group C racing prototype, at least.

It's not that I didn't try to go fast and use all the track...

BTW, it's nice to see someone referencing Randy Lanier and his... Uh... Out-of-the-box financing plan. The history of someone who turned into a drug kingpin to go racing (usually it's the other way around, and drug lords decide that toying around with competition machinery would be fun and/or add to their macho image, i.e. Pablo Escobar) has impressed me so much when I first heard it, that I adopted the #56 as my racing number, in honor of mr. Lanier's successful IMSA GTP campaign. Well, now you know!

Laptime (Long Beach Full Circuit):
01:17.780

FM7_1778.png

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport 7 3_10_2018 11_01_43 PM.png

(2:04.086) Yeah I won't get any better than that...

A fabulous car as stated many times above, even if it's possibly the least surprising sleeper to date.

Forza Motorsport 7 3_13_2018 10_45_51 AM.png

(1:15.148)

50 laps later all I can say is:
Tomska_I_love_it.jpg

So with the double header of pure thoroughbred racers done and dusted, let’s see where we all stack up.

BMW M1 Procar

@VICGT1970 2:02.470
@Vic Reign93 2:02.528
@Drex124 2:04.086
@ClydeYellow 2:05.877
@Nacho Libre 2:07.783

And the Jaguar XJR-5..

@Drex124 1:15.148
@Vic Reign93 1:15.276
@VICGT1970 1:15.362
@ClydeYellow 1:17.780

Tightly knit at the top this week, but good times all round. 👍

Congratulations @Nismonath5!!!

As the current host of GT6’s branch of COTW(until the end of march sadly:() and a long standing friendly rival of mine, I put it to you as what we were racing for this week. :D

And you decided on...

422A01A6-EEF4-4521-AA7B-05E2F6554A27.png

The 1977 Holden Torana A9X!!!

Back in it’s day, the Marlboro sponsored(remember when tobacco companies sponsored cars? :P) Torana AX9 was the dominant force in the 1978 and 79’ Australia Touring Car Championship and the Bathurst 1000 races in those same years with Peter Brock winning the 1979 Bathurst 1000 SIX laps clear of the second place car.

And the cherry on top of that race? He broke the lap record on the final lap. :drool:

The Torana AX9 is powered by a 5.0 V8 with 216hp and nearly 300ft-lbs of torque.

The AX9 package also came with rear disc brakes, heavy duty axles and a heavy duty ‘10 bolt differential, but don’t let the ‘heavy’ part of those upgrades make you think it’s a heavyweight as it weighs only 2,520lbs or 1,143kgs. :eek:

For context, the 1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra weighs 2,669lbs, but it’s 4.9 V8 only made 139hp and 250ft-lbs of torque.

So this lightweight force of nature in Aussie Touring Car racing is coming home for this weeks time trial as we are heading to the Mount Panorama Circuit or Bathurst Circuit if you prefer. ;)

Also bonus points for those who decide to throw on the Marlboro Livery too. 👍

So here’s my run with the A9X. ;)

It’s a pretty stout choice from @Nismonath5, While not majorly powerful compared to other cars in its division, it is the lightest and the gearing on the 4 speed is nicely spaced out so you won’t be bashing the limiter on the longer straights. 👍

Handling is decent and even though Forza does have the issue where the front can lift up on the softer sprung classics, it’s not a major hamper to the Torana’s cornering ability.

It’s the only car in its division as far as i’m aware where you can swap in a 6 cylinder engine (RB26) and still have a decently homologated car while also being different. :P

But in stock form, it’s a nice choice for your inner aussie to let loose in. 👍

I await your times to challange mine. :D

I don't have time for every COTW, but I can't stay away when this little darling is the car of the week. I'm a big fan of small cars with RWD. Datsun 510, Fiat 131, Mazda RX-3, they're all so much fun to chuck around. But when you throw a small block V8 in the engine bay, the fun gets doubled. I'm sure there are better balanced cars out there, but I don't care. This thing is a riot to drive. Sleeper.

Here’s your less than 24 hours reminder to ensure your best time is ready to be posted. :D

Did not have much time this but still got a ok time in

The Torana is a bit of a boat going down the back straight the front end lose traction going passed the right sweeper making it tricky going into the next brake zone

Wish I had more time last week fun combo
DSCF3728.JPG

Forza Motorsport 7 3_20_2018 11_58_00 AM.png

(2:44.547)

Really I could just copy and paste the RX-3 review here be done with it. Unfortunately the track and Forza physics make me less inclined to recommend this one... 3 stars.

Verdict: Neutral

So with a flurry of final day postings, here’s where we all stand.

@Vic Reign93 2:43.735
@Drex124 2:44.547
@VICGT1970 2:45.110
@Populuxe Cowboy 2:52.626
@Nacho Libre 2:53.571

Respectable times from all who participated this week. :cheers:

Congratulations @Drex124!!!

Been awhile since you had a go at picking where and what we drive, what have you got in store for us?

The answer...

B7D760F3-82D1-45B5-8EE8-333EEBBD964B.png

The 2012 Aston Martin V12 Zagato!!!

Built to celerbrate a 50 year partnership with Zagato which started with the DB4 GT Zagato(Which is also in Forza 7. ;)), The V12 Zagato as the name implies, has Aston’s famous 5.9 V12 making 510hp and 420(blaze it:D)ft-lbs of torque.

Sent to the rear tyres via a 6 speed gearbox, This 3,704lbs GT beauty will be tested at Silverstone International..... In the wet.

Well I say wet, I actually mean a thunderstorm as the weather settings you’ll run under advanced rules are this. :lol:

Rain Lightning at the start, Rain Lightning at mid race and the same at the end, 100% probability of course. :P

This car may be a Sporty GT, but it has raced at the 24hrs of the Nurburgring in 2011( Before this model year Aston was built.) where the 2 cars entered with only essential safety and aerodynamic changes made finished 5th and 6th in the SP8 class.

Hopefully you’ll be able to coax that inner racer out as you race against the clock and the elements. :sly:

Best of luck out there. 👍

So for this weeks attempt I decided to experiment a little.

I started to realise that I’m approaching my limits with what I can do with ABS, so I decided to pull the ABS fuse and see I how stack up on a wet track. :P

The Aston was quite well behaved in the stormy conditions and with no driver assists to act as a safety net, of course I’ll still need to feel out how cars with slicks, race brakes and large amounts of downforce drive without ABS, but it’s a start. :D

So the Aston gets a neutral verdict, it’s great, but that was to be expected. ;)

So for this weeks attempt I decided to experiment a little.

I started to realise that I’m approaching my limits with what I can do with ABS, so I decided to pull the ABS fuse and see I how stack up on a wet track. :P

The Aston was quite well behaved in the stormy conditions and with no driver assists to act as a safety net, of course I’ll still need to feel out how cars with slicks, race brakes and large amounts of downforce drive without ABS, but it’s a start. :D

So the Aston gets a neutral verdict, it’s great, but that was to be expected. ;)

That's the prettiest fast boat in the world!

Here’s your just over 24 hour reminder to get those lap times on the board for this week. :D

Alright, now that Flickr's being a good kid again... Let's do this. Bit of a shame I couldn't take part last week, I had so many clever Mad Max jokes planned out!

Lamborghini and Bertone, Ferrari and Pininfarina, Aston Martin and Zagato: few other collaborations in the automotive world have been as long-lasting or successful. The relationship between the British manufacturer and the small Milanese atelier of aerodynamics begun in 1960, with a special version of the DB4 GT that was both lighter and more streamlined, thanks to the clever work of a then-young Ettore Spada. But the car wasn't very successful, failing to consistently beat the Ferrari 250 GTs and Jaguar XKEs that were dominating the world of GT racing at the time.

Unlike its chief inspirator, this car is not based on any DB-series Aston, sharing instead its underpinnings with the Vantage

The collaboration was revived in 1986 - at the peak of Zagato's flirtation more blocky designs that would culminate with the Alfa SZ - with a controversial special based on the V8 Vantage; another 15 years would pass before a follow-up DB7 variant. 2011 saw the introduction of the prototype of the V12 Zagato, based again on the Vantage, which was presented to the public gathered in Lake Como for the 2011 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in full race trim. Because this is a return to the formula of the DB4: a no-nonsense, lightweight, highly aerodynamic version of Aston's peak sporty GT, intended to turn its wheels in anger on the racetracks. To be more specific, the V12 took part in the Nurburgring 24h, in a two-car effort that saw the partecipation of a good chunk of the development team of the One-77 hypercar.

Nice car and nice track, a shame for the dreadful weather and the drenched track

The race version was the one featured in Forza until recently, but for some reason, T10 has decided to replace it with the more tame and luxurious homologated variant, produced in a less exclusive run of 150 cars. As civilized as it may be, however, this car isn't soft: the engine still produces over 500 horses, the aerodynamic parts are still (mostly) in place, and the Multimatic-designed DSSV dampers, with a setting perhaps a bit more suited to daily driving conditions, still does an eccellent job of keeping this grand-tourer on the black stuff even when driving near the limits of its performance envelope. Even in the rain, this Zagato keeps rock-steady, and it's only during hard braking that it shows any signs of distress.

This is what an Aston geared for maximum attack looks like!

But then, the performance of the V12 Vantage is hardly surprising; nor is it significantly above what other cars in the same division may offer (with the later GT12 being both faster, and more manageable thanks to an even more track-oriented setup). And the car looks beautiful from the front, but the rear end still has to grow on me after all these years: after seeing Zagato doing a much better job at wrapping things up in the tail-end of the Vanquish that replaced the V12, I don't think it ever will. It can hardly be said that the Aston leaves disappointed; and yet, it fails to be a truly memorable experience. So, a neutral verdict from me.

Pros: looks pretty, goes fast;
Cons: totally outshined by the Vanquish Zagato in the styling department, and outclassed by the GT12 on the track;

Laptime (Silverstone International Circuit, W): 01:19.056

FM7_1889.png

Last edited:

This car was not the handful in the wet I was expecting. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed thrashing it around Silverstone while listening to Groovera on the iPad. And it's a good thing I enjoyed it so much since I ran ten laps with the weather setting wrong, then ran another ten laps before I realized I hadn't de-homologated the car. I finally put in another ten laps with everything set correctly, looking for that elusive (for me) sub-1:20 lap.

The big Aston was beautifully controllable, powering through huge lurid slides without ever a hint of stepping out of line. I'm of the opinion that you can never go wrong with a V12 Aston. I honestly prefer what Aston has on offer to either Ferrari or Lamborghini right now.

The car is as beautiful to look at as it is to drive. What an amazing Italian designer suit it wears. I am a big fan of the Zagato design house. Their designs have a presence that few other companies can match. There is a muscularity to their best designs that remind you of a Pro Bowl football player in a $5000 suit. Impeccably dressed and dangerously powerful.

Verdict: Sleeper

Last edited:
Alright, now that Flickr's being a good kid again... Let's do this. Bit of a shame I couldn't take part last week, I had so many clever Mad Max jokes planned out!

Lamborghini and Bertone, Ferrari and Pininfarina, Aston Martin and Zagato: few other collaborations in the automotive world have been as long-lasting or successful. The relationship between the British manufacturer and the small Milanese atelier of aerodynamics begun in 1960, with a special version of the DB4 GT that was both lighter and more streamlined, thanks to the clever work of a then-young Ettore Spada. But the car wasn't very successful, failing to consistently beat the Ferrari 250 GTs and Jaguar XKEs that were dominating the world of GT racing at the time.

Unlike its chief inspirator, this car is not based on any DB-series Aston, sharing instead its underpinnings with the Vantage

The collaboration was revived in 1986 - at the peak of Zagato's flirtation more blocky designs that would culminate with the Alfa SZ - with a controversial special based on the V8 Vantage; another 15 years would pass before a follow-up DB7 variant. 2011 saw the introduction of the prototype of the V12 Zagato, based again on the Vantage, which was presented to the public gathered in Lake Como for the 2011 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in full race trim. Yes, full race trim, because this is a return to the formula of the DB4: a no-nonsense, lightweight, highly aerodynamic version of Aston's peak sporty GT, intended to turn its wheels in anger on the racetracks. To be more specific, the V12 took part in the Nurburgring 24h, in a two-car effort that saw the partecipation of a good chunk of the development team of the One-77 hypercar.

Nice car and nice track, a shame for the dreadful weather and the drenched track

The race version was the one featured in Forza until recently, but for some reason, T10 has decided to replace it with the more tame and luxurious homologated variant, produced in a less exclusive run of 150 cars. As civilized as it may be, however, this car isn't soft: the engine still produces over 500 horses, the aerodynamic parts are still (mostly) in place, and the Multimatic-designed DSSV dampers, with a setting perhaps a bit more suited to daily driving conditions, still does an eccellent job of keeping this grand-tourer on the black stuff even when driving near the limits of its performance envelope. Even in the rain, this Zagato keeps rock-steady, and it's only during hard braking that it shows any signs of distress.

This is what an Aston geared for maximum attack looks like!

But then, the performance of the V12 Vantage is hardly surprising; nor is it significantly above what other cars in the same division may offer (with the later GT12 being both faster, and more manageable thanks to an even more track-oriented setup). And the car looks beautiful from the front, but the rear end still has to grow on me after all these years: after seeing Zagato doing a much better job at wrapping things up in the tail-end of the Vanquish that replaced the V12, I don't think it ever will. It can hardly be said that the Aston leaves disappointed; and yet, it fails to be a truly memorable experience. So, a neutral verdict from me.

Pros: looks pretty, goes fast;
Cons: totally outshined by the Vanquish Zagato in the styling department, and outclassed by the GT12 on the track;

Laptime (Silverstone International Circuit, W): 01:19.056

View attachment 725029

And there you have it, my thoughts on the V12 Zagato.

Ok the scores on the board are as follows.

@Vic Reign93 1:16:525
@Drex124 1:16.997
@VICGT1970 1:17.190
@Nacho Libre 1:18.750
@ClydeYellow 1:19.056
@Populuxe Cowboy 1:19.425

Top 3 are within one second of each other and same goes for 4th through 6th, great work everyone. 👍

Thank You Gran Turismo 6!!!

Thanks to you, COTW got its start under the steady if occasionally flailing hands of @McClarenDesign (ok it was in GT5 under someone else’s control but shhhh. :P), It became a staple of my life since I joined it in early 2014 and because of it being such a fun deal, it spawned some Forza spinoff versions like the FH3 one hosted by @Obelisk and of course this one by yours truly. ;)

Now its with a heavy heart to say that GT6 Online is turning off the lights for good and to be honest, it stings abit despite the heads up about it.:(
But rather than mourn the loss of GT6 Online, let’s celebrate its memory with...

018BB823-3E1D-4B23-B960-FC0DD31690C4.png

The 2010 Maserati Gran Turismo S!!!
(See what I did there?:D)

The Gran Turismo S packs a 4.7 V8 which is shared with the stunning Alfa Romeo 8C and is turning out 433hp and 361ft-lbs of torque, but she is a heavy beauty at 4,146lbs.

The track for this car first debuted in Gran Turismo 2 and it too also had its end of an era moment recently as it’ll be no longer be called Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from next month onwards, It’ll be called WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.

But the Gran Turismo S also has a Forza Edition so I’m adding it to this weeks event also at Laguna Seca.

Two different versions of the same car, one track and all you guys to throw them around the legendary Corkscrew, give it your all in memory of GT6 Online. :cheers:

Last edited:
15223666716671906435734.jpg
Hey all, came by this forum and thought it would be fun to give this a try. Anyways, this car is a beater, in my opinion. It took me almost forever to get this good of a time, either I'm just a bad racer, or this car is just hard to drive lol.

Welcome Vyper 316, I hope you enjoy taking part in this event.
My initial impression is that it is more lover than fighter, but is manageable. It takes about 3 laps to warm up. Great looks, great sound, understeers a bit, but I could brake later and that helped me. The engine feels smooth, with no wheelspin. I think I can get another second out of her. Neutral.
IMG_20180329_202707572.jpg

Last edited:
Bit late on getting these times up, but here we are. :P

I mentioned before that the GT-S shares its engine with the Alfa 8C, but after doing a sound comparison, the GT-S was lacking some bass to its usual V8 soundtrack and sounded more ferrari like(that’s a given since it was made in collaboration with ferrari.).

For comparisons sake, here’s what the GT-S sounded like on Horizon 3.

Now compare it to my lap in FM7, quite a difference wouldn’t you agree? :P

As for performance, the GT-S always felt abit underpowered for how much it weighs, but it was somewhat respectable to drive at Laguna and aside from some understeer, no real complaints about it.

I’d give it a Neutral rating, not exceptional, but not terrible either. :)

And now for the Forza Edition GT-S.

With a lot more power, wider wheelbase, sticky tyres, less weight and some “minor” aerodynamic tweaks, it’s woken up the GT-S quite abit. :D

While it’s technically stock by the games standards, like all forza editions it’s built to the homologation requirements of its division, so while yes if you wanted a straight out the box car for its division it’s great, when it comes to fine tuning for its division you have a lot less options to work with than the standard version.

But as a stock car, it’s pretty decent. 👍

Back