Beater or Sleeper? FH4 COTW! - Week 34: Third GT's the charm!

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 148 comments
upload_2019-1-14_23-20-3.png

Solid, athletic machine for something so massive. I give it a Neutral because it's a well known sleeper, but can still catch people off guard.

Next car goes up in 20 hours, make sure you get a lap in if you haven't!

Almu89_ForzaHorizon4_CotW.png

Nearly forgot to test the car, then post my time. Again :ouch:

I've been ignoring this car for a long time, for no real reason. I'm glad I did drive it now though. It sounds good, it's powerful enough, maybe a little understeery. Still a great fun to drive in my opinion. If this isn't a sleeper, I don't know what is :P

Good turnout this week! Sorry about the delay this week - had a commitment to deal with and a shift at work right before it.

How did we do?

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign: 3:09.523
Sutuki: 3:09.790
Rv650: 3:11.427
Obelisk: 3:15.285

Got some close competition from Sutuki this week!

Speaking of...

Congrats, @Sutuki!

What're we driving this week?

fe10273c-063c-4f63-8ca7-2e31672209d2

The 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4!

Porsche's own take on a souped up Cayman, the GT4 borrows components from its bigger brother, the 911.

This week's time trial is at the Astmoor Rally Trail and it's a high speed tear up the coast, followed by some tricky hairpins and technical sectors at Edinburgh.

EDIT: We will be looking at one of the returning Mitsubishis next week alongside our usual car rotation.

Last edited:
23F969D0-E8AE-4B34-B49F-4F965A0EABB6.jpeg

A rather solid time for now. :P

The GT4 certainly lives up to that moniker, Was up to around 175mph along the coast and nearly 186mph heading into Edinburgh which leads me to the next plus, the brakes.

It just shedded all that speed off without batting a eye, especially for me not running ABS.

Sounds aggressive, is planted aggressively into the road at high speeds and stops aggressively too. :D

In short, It’s a solid machine on the tarmac (Or if you’re Porsche, a rally car too.)

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

upload_2019-1-22_12-47-52.png

First try, didn't have much time today to drive. Fairly well-rounded car! Neutral since everyone knows what Porsches are capable of.

We have two cars hitting the thread tonight so brace yourselves!

Ok due to some ball dropping behind the scenes, I’m quickly announcing this week’s duo of cars, @Obelisk can do a more thorough announcement later.

Apologies for the later than usual announcement. :dunce:

Car number 1 which’ll be on a custom route at Moorhead Wind Farm Circuit is the 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.

Car number 2 is the returning 1997 Mitsubishi GTO at a custom route on Hollyrood Park Trail.

Apologies about that! I had something I needed to prepare for and ended up losing track of everything.

As Vic has already announced, we're running the 124 Spider (basically an overglorified Miata imo) and the classic Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT.

As for last week's TT, congrats to @Vic Reign93 for the impressive run up the coast!
Vic Reign: 2:50.705
Obelisk: 2:58.601

Normal business will resume on Tuesday. This week's TT will end on Wednesday 1/30 to compensate for the delay in getting things going, but next week's TT will start at the regular time.

See you all on track! I think the course for the 3000GT should be challenging enough to keep people on their toes.

0996A40E-27AF-4B32-8394-78C0CD0A0055.jpeg

So the italian Miata with boost is about what you expect, noisy 4 banger, open top and predictable and fun handling.

Gearing could be a tad shorter for a more involving drive, but it’s hard to complain much really.

Verdict: Neutral (If you do buy one, make a rally build out of it.:P)

7D3618D8-5F13-4C73-BC9A-D841F4E4F807.jpeg

The GTO (Not the red Italian one or the American one.:D) was from a time Japans economic standing was great and they were chucking out high tech performance cars like the R32,R33, the 300ZX etc, the Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT was also one such machine.

On this short mixed surface sprint, it’s soft springs helped on the bumpy parts, but it’s weight hindered it on the tighter sections, requiring some handbraking to help it out.

While it’s a ok Neutral, it’s a car that’s just begging for a weight loss and some extra boost thrown at its TTV6 engine. ;)

But like the other 3 diamond star cars, it’s a freebie which is nice. :)

Verdict: Neutral (weight loss and power boost should be steps 1&2 if building one up.)

upload_2019-1-28_23-28-7.png

Neutral. Good handling, good stats. Was hoping it'd be a bit easier to control at 100+ MPH.

upload_2019-1-28_23-48-5.png

Neutral as well. Fairly solid performance but too heavy.

I've run into some nasty issues with my FH4 refusing to launch and crashing when I try to access it/enter the menu.

So there will be no track to test on this week, sadly. But that doesn't mean we don't have a car! Also, due to the ball dropping last week, the TT will close 1/30 at 10PM EST.

Our winner for car choice this week is @Vic Reign93! He felt that there was a lack of patriotism, firearms and bald eagles in this thread, so our car choice this week is the...

used-1971-ford-mustang-mach1-8031-16443393-1-1024.jpg

1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1!

So...An iconic pony car hailing from the United States - born and raised during the era of the chunky V8, burning rubber and a fierce competition for the fastest quarter mile.

Everyone in the thread is free to test the car however they deem fit!

Last edited:
Ok i’ve set up a event for the Mach 1 at Moorhead Rally Trail, a 6 mile sprint using the backroads and ending with a run down the M68 Motorway. 👍

Hopefully it’s all sorted and shared for you guys.

F60500D9-37E8-49CE-8552-D7D42C341350.jpeg

The Mach 1 is the current powerhouse of the classic Mustangs that aren’t built by guys like Ken and Block, :sly: with a 7.0 375hp V8 that’s also chucking out 450ft-lbs of torque and is sending it to a 4 speed manual gearbox.

One thing I do like is the differential isn’t open as it’ll happily spin up both tyres and do donuts without roasting the inside wheel. ;)

Tops out around 135mph, brakes do need a little extra distance than you might think to slow down and the soft springs do make it a touch slow to respond in the twisty sections.

But it does only cost 45k so it’s not a bank breaker and for less than 50k it appears to have the most displacement at 7,040ccs if that’s a decider for you. :P

It’s a classic dragster in the making or a corner carving pro tourer, but that’s not all.

This car is the more powerful version of what will become the original ‘Eleanor’, from Gone In 60 Seconds(not the remake obviously:D).

So in summary, there’s always a reason to pick up one of these regardless of who you are. :)

No interest, huh...

Well, time for the next car at least! In honor of a peculiar video posted by YouTuber IsuckAtDriving, our car this week is the...

Peel-P50-UK-for-sale-838863.jpg

Peel P50!

Yes. IsuckAtDriving posted a video - now over 33k views - of him setting a world record in a Peel P50 in A Class. We here at Car of the Week admire that feat and wanted to see if this car can actually hold up to those expectations.

Our event this week is a very short sprint starting at Ambleside Sprint. The joker section is on turn 1, so try not to be on the outside of another car at the turn!

E4DB893B-A04A-4FF3-B69E-E47C628BBC61.jpeg

If raw speed is what you’re looking for, a stock P50 will provide that for you.:sly:

With speeds topping an astonishing 40+mph on a downhill stretch thanks to the state of the art 48cc single cylinder engine making a mighty 4hp and equally mighty 6ft-lbs of torque.

It’s cutting edge construction keeps weight down to a featherweight 310lbs, so light in fact you carry it around with the handle on the back so finding a parking spot for it is a piece of cake.

It’s 3 wheeled layout of two at the front and one outback ensures stability and the 3 speed gearbox ensures simplicity in everyday use.

And if 4hp doesn’t do it for you, you can swap a motorbike engine in for even more bang for your buck.:drool:

Pick yours up(literally) today from your local barn find. :P

Verdict: Sleeper ;)👍

Oh, Viiiiiic!

upload_2019-2-11_20-58-3.png

That aside, the Peel is a complete joke in stock form and utterly horrifying at A class. A true upgrade sleeper if there ever was one.

Forza Horizon 4 Screenshot 2019.02.07 - 22.48.33.23.png

Weaving through the tight and technical corners of Ambleside is no easy feat, even for a thoroughbred track racer such as Ferrari FXX-K. Meanwhile, I speak no hyperbole when I say that Peel P50 can effortlessly nail the apex of those corners without even braking! If that's not impressive, I don't know what is.

Try to look beyond this car's cutesy exterior, and you'll see that P50 is a ferocious track monster, waiting to be unleashed.

My verdict: Sleeper.

P.S. You have no idea how many tries it took for that time.

:lol:

I love how you guys took the joke and ran with it.

Let's see how we all did!

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign: 1:03.647
Mr. Fahrenheit: 1:04.484
Obelisk: 1:04.793

A second between the fastest and slowest and none of us braked! :lol:

So this next car is one we covered in FH3, prompting a hilarious exchange between two of our fellow drivers.

This week's car is the...

1986-lamborghini-lm002-4.jpg

1986 Lamborghini LM002!

Yep, Lamborghini's attempt at an SUV is here this week. And to shake things off we're doing something a little different - a Danger Sign challenge.

We'll be flinging ourselves off the Broadway Windmill danger sign and you can choose to use either a bone stock LM002 (results may vary) or one upgraded to your liking. Be sure to note if it's stock/tuned! Since it can be a bit tricky capturing the jump distance, I won't need the screenshot. Just fly to your heart's content!

44FA2F19-326D-4E63-979D-65A348847D95.jpeg

This was bone stock.

13E53570-86D4-4C65-A11A-D5DFC3644909.jpeg

This was upgraded, but not with the Racing V8, I decided to stick with the V12 despite knowing that fully upgraded its not even as powerful as the V8 in stock form. :P

In stock form, The Rambo Lambo is all kinds of mad, in true 80’s lambo fashion.

The engine, while good for the much lighter Countach, it’s not powerful or torquey enough for the near 6000lbs LM002, the long gearing doesn’t help with that either with me only needing 3rd gear for the stock attempt.:odd:

Interestingly there was an option in reality that if it was included, could suit the LM002 much better, an option for a 7.2 litre Marine V12 which Lamborghini used in Class 1 offshore powerboats.

I haven’t been able to find a power figure for said engine, but I did find the 8.0 litre version which had the same designation(L804) that Lamborghini used made 880hp so one can safely assume the 7.2 road version could’ve made at least 550hp or even 600hp. :eek:

In stock form, it’s more of a showboaters off roader and fuel guzzler (169 litre/45 gallon fuel tank.:crazy:) than a proper off-roader, just like good number of off roaders these days. :sly:

Two controversial people actually had LM002’s, the Sultan Of Brunei(who had his converted into a one-off Estate version.) and Uday Hussien( Who’s LM002 was used by the US Military to simulate the effects of a car bomb.).

The LM002 doesn’t make any sense in why it exists, but in a way we’re secretly glad it does exists.

It’s a poster child of what made Lamborghini great in the 80’s-90’s, it’s loud, proud, highly impractical and it couldn’t even begin to give a damn. :lol:

I know it was Horizon 3’s BOTY, but maybe I’ve started to appreciate it’s madness instead of just its performance.

Strip out all the weight you can, throw on some proper off-road tyres, shorten the gearing and crank up the power and then go 🤬 bonkers and enjoy it as the Dakar machine that they also tried. :D

It’s both terrible and fun to drive in stock form, so it’s a Neutral from me. ;)

upload_2019-2-19_20-38-55.png

epic fail

upload_2019-2-19_20-45-40.png

I think that means I win one and lose one, eh Vic?

This thing is awful in stock form but absolutely terrifying when maxed out. It'll make a Viper think twice about challenging it to a drag race when maxed out in S1.

Neutral.

So let's see what's on the list for this week.

It's the...

8696e52b-4c93-4deb-875a-bae44a63fb17

1983 Volvo 240 Turbo Evolution!

Hailing from an era where Volvos were boxy, went like hell and were versatile, the 240 Evolution is one that sits atop the pile. 500 were made to satisfy the FIA's homologation rules and then sold in the United States. They became known as the "Flying Brick" in touring racing and the rest is (complicated) history.

For this week, it's back to the tarmac and gravel as we take the 240 Evos around a custom blueprint course starting at Derwentwater Trail.

Last edited:
1313A3AB-A887-494D-B1B1-D55FEFEC3274.jpeg

So the 242 Turbo Evo, built for Group A Racing with 500 models built and packing a few choice upgrades.

It’s got a turbocharged 2.1 litre 4 cylinder making 225hp and 250ft-lbs of torque which is sent to the rear via a 5 speed manual gearbox.

With it being a Volvo it’s built rather solidly and it’s 3,175lbs reflects that, but the Evos modified springs and brakes ensure it’s still usable.

On the dirt, it evokes that feeling of amateur rallying in Finland, throwing it through the turns, a handful of opposite lock and a scandinavian flick or two. :P

In racing it was called ‘The Flying Brick’, it’s probably abit more literal in the world of rallying. :D

Hi all,

Quick announcement. I'm shifting the weekly update to Saturdays starting with this week. It gives me more time to actually sit down and commit to the game so I can provide a better time trial and car experience for everyone.

As such, this week's TT will be extended through Saturday night at 8pm EST.

Sorry about that. Life does strange things.

Note 3/9: Track is pending, game stubbornly refusing to upload the blueprint I meticulously built.

This week's a double. Two classics, two very different approaches.

In the first corner is the...
ad21ed48-4197-4985-a61f-1cf42447bdfe

Bentley 8 Liter!

In the second corner is the...
d82f70d8-feb5-465b-9bf8-61178e0a329a

Abarth 595!

Track will be made available ASAP. Should be here by EOD tomorrow.

For those wondering, I’ve made the track for this weeks duo and you’ll find it at the North City Cross Country Circuit Starting point. 👍

F334DFFB-37F4-4630-810F-0AFECBD2826D.jpeg

So the Big Bentley 8 litre, a buttery smooth 6 cylinder good for 220hp which was a solid number back in the 1930’s, a 4 speed gearbox and a kerbweight of 5,600lbs(varies depending on the coach building.).

It’s definitely one for those who saw it way back on FM4 as an Autovista only car and wanted to see how such a luxury car can drive.

An ultimate driving it is not, but you’d be hard pressed to find something equal to it in terms of luxury, but this IS Forza after all so a few upgrades here and there are are expected. :P

Mine for example now has 350hp, 609ft-lbs of torque and weighs just over 4000lbs and sits on C600, but you do have 4 engine options should you be a more sacrilegious type. :lol:

As a racer, don’t bother with it in stock trim, but as a collectors piece and cruiser, I recommend it highly.

73373099-D22E-4B38-B88B-67F297C4BC7E.jpeg

From 6 cylinders to 2, from 8 litres to 594cc’s and from 5600lbs to 1257lbs.

Italy’s car for the people, breathed on by Carlo Abarth so the 2 cylinder engine now makes 28hp. :D

In terms of personality, the little Abarth is a polar opposite to the Bentley, Loud, energetic and encourages you to rev the nuts off it.

The Bentley soothes you, the Abarth eggs you on.

The abarth does have 3 engine options with one being the motorbike engine, but the little 2 cylinder is part of the old Fiat 500’s charm, so bolt on a small supercharger, take it up to C600 and enjoy 104hp’s worth of noise and fun.

upload_2019-3-16_20-26-26.png

While the Abarth doesn't have a lot of power, it makes up for it with sh eer energy and enthusiasm in driving.

I admit that the course caught me a little unaware with the racing line not following the course lines, but that's alright.
Sleeper.

upload_2019-3-16_20-37-51.png

(I crashed at the end...)

This car moves. It's a Sleeper just because of the sheer momentum it can build up.

Now, for times: Vic swept the board this week, no surprise. Congrats, @Vic Reign93!

For this week, we're moving from lightning bruiser vs pint-sized powerhouse to something surprisingly terrifying.

It's the...
upload_2019-3-16_20-58-48.png

Lotus Elise GT1!

Yep. One of our more unusual barn finds has hit the COTW pages. This lightweight Elise was made for serious racing but the program folded when the car failed to produce results.

Can it do any better on our custom course, set at the Bamburgh Coast Circuit starting point?

The thread title doesn't say "Nervewracking Precision" for fun, as a side note. Good luck!

:indiff: These threads don't last long, do they?

That said, I am extending this until this upcoming Saturday. No track, unfortunately. You're free to use any rival event that the GT1 can be entered in.

Lacking a proper Rivals really hurt this one I think. For some reason I've not been able to find any of the events thus far...

Lacking a proper Rivals really hurt this one I think. For some reason I've not been able to find any of the events thus far...
I haven't been able to get the Blueprints uploaded for some reason. I've tried and tried, but they're just not sharing.

581529BC-F6AA-47F2-BD9F-0255E9550576.jpeg

Apologies for the late upload.

So the Elise GT1, a true 1 of one machine as only a single road car exists alongside the 7 race cars.

The engine was the same 3.5 twin turbo V8 that was used in the Esprit and made 350hp in road trim and 542hp in race trim.

Small digress, But another GT1 road car from this period, The Nissan R390 GT1 which also had a 3.5 twin turbo V8, had a big stock power difference on Forza and GT6, it was 350hp on GT6 and 550hp on the Forza games.

Always stuck out for me that did, Anyways digressing over.:P

The Elise GT1 in race went through different engines in its short career, with a 6.0 litre Chevy V8 with a Flat Plane Crank making around 600hp and even a pair of Chrysler 8.0 V10’s saw duty in the later run Bitter GT1 Lotus’s.

Sadly, reliability was the cars biggest weakness and it never scored higher than 5th in its Career, but once again thanks to the world of games it lives once more. :bowdown:

In game, it was predictably planted and grippy, brakes were solid and effective.

The small issue you run into is that you have only 350hp and you know the car can take much more than that with no problem. :D

But aside from that, it’s a good barn find to use.

Back