Best car to use for Historic racing car cup?

• Thread starter ionstriker
  • 189 comments
I did it in the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Race car...

No upgrades, no assists, just stretched the gears and wound on the down force.

Great fun car to drive and makes for good racing, I won Monaco by 0.01 of a second and got a trophy for it too!

It only cost around 150,000cr so it more than pays for itself. And no need to waste 20,000,000 on a car for a one off thing.

I use only pad and I had no problem with Toyota 7.
My setting drive:
TSC - 2
ABS - 1
Assist driving - off
Line drive - on
Manual gearbox

The low-speed corners aren't imposible.

I fully upgraded my gt40 anniversary edition and that did the trick, even after I tuned it, it was very tricky to drive though as it had 800+hp and weighs less that 1000kg.

I spent the money and used the Toyota 7 Can Am car. It's a handful but it is fun to drive when you get it right. The trick is the turbo lag and when the turbos come on boost the need to lift a touch to avoid wheel spin . it is essential when exiting corners and the boost comes on.

I just spent a bunch of money on the 69 Camaro race car. Best I could do out of 3 tries was 6th place. Guess i'll the R/T next.

IMAG0110.jpg
it can be done in the challenger race car, but it's hard as hell.

So I wanted to know the cheapest and best car for this category.I was thinking of the buick special but that's 750000:P so any suggestions?
Instead of wanting to win this series on the cheap, why not put the time in and buy the car everyone fears, the TOYOTA SEVEN.

I love the Toyota and the 2J, I love group 7 because they look awesome but are easy to draw. I also love really old cars that still destroy new cars.

I first won when I used the Dino, but I had to race real dirty. Max out the tuning and set the transmission for 1 click higher than top speed on each track. Had to bump the 2j and the toyota into walls at Monaco, didn't catch the toyota until lap 4 at the chicane where we were bumper to bumper. Hit it's ass end a little offset to the left side and he went straight into the wall. No more toyota to worry about. On the other tracks, the Dino does a little better but i still had to bump those 2 cars . Same scenario with the gt40 mark 1 and the Challenger. My prefs are the gt40 at apricot hill, the dino at monaco, and the challenger at silverstone. But I've been able to win all three events with all 3 cars... Being an ol'timer this is my favorite race in the game. I can't wait til I can afford to run XJ13 in it.

Last edited:
I fully upgraded my gt40 anniversary edition and that did the trick, even after I tuned it, it was very tricky to drive though as it had 800+hp and weighs less that 1000kg.

Same here, also my anniv' GT40.

I first won when I used the Dino, but I had to race real dirty. Max out the tuning and set the transmission for 1 click higher than top speed on each track. Had to bump the 2j and the toyota into walls at Monaco, didn't catch the toyota until lap 4 at the chicane where we were bumper to bumper. Hit it's ass end a little offset to the left side and he went straight into the wall. No more toyota to worry about. On the other tracks, the Dino does a little better but i still had to bump those 2 cars . Same scenario with the gt40 mark 1 and the Challenger. My prefs are the gt40 at apricot hill, the dino at monaco, and the challenger at silverstone. But I've been able to win all three events with all 3 cars... Being an ol'timer this is my favorite race in the game. I can't wait til I can afford to run XJ13 in it.

I'm a big fan of the classic cars in GT6 as well, both road cars and race cars. I bought the Jag XJ13 2 days ago and man... it is fast! You are definitely going to like that car. :) Another of my favorite ones is the Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2, while not being the fastest out there, it such a fun ride and the engine sound is so nice. :)

I'm a big fan of the classic cars in GT6 as well, both road cars and race cars. I bought the Jag XJ13 2 days ago and man... it is fast! You are definitely going to like that car. :) Another of my favorite ones is the Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2, while not being the fastest out there, it such a fun ride and the engine sound is so nice. :)
Yeah I drove it in the special event there was a while back. I loved it. I was never able to win it in it's event though thanks to the grandma AI. At one point I actually lost and and did a 360 on the fast section after the first hairpin on Grand Valley, when I recovered I hadn't actually lost any speed and was right behind the Chaparral. I expected to be off the track or something so accidentally ran into the back of it without realising and was dq'd.
I'd love to buy it actually, so I'll probably end up using it for the Historic Cup.

Yeah I drove it in the special event there was a while back. I loved it. I was never able to win it in it's event though thanks to the grandma AI. At one point I actually lost and and did a 360 on the fast section after the first hairpin on Grand Valley, when I recovered I hadn't actually lost any speed and was right behind the Chaparral. I expected to be off the track or something so accidentally ran into the back of it without realising and was dq'd.
I'd love to buy it actually, so I'll probably end up using it for the Historic Cup.

Well with AFK (AFW? :P) B-spec grinding route SSRX you can get around 1.8 m credits per hour (restarting every 4-5 mins). When you're at home doing other stuff like making food, surfing this forum, playing Hearthstone (my favorite B-spec grinding combo :P) the millions of credits will come in fast and sooner than you realize you will get it. :)

The Camaro race car laps faster than the Challenger race car, so for people who can't manage the win in the Camaro don't bother with the Challenger.

The Auto Union has terrible handling so I wouldn't recommend trying with that.

The Toyota is a lot of fun to drive, especially stock on race hard tyres - needs to be driven a bit like a kart (the back end tends to come round on the brakes unless you brake in a straight line). Also lots of wheelspin when the turbo boost comes in so the throttle has to be feathered.

If you have 20m credits the best of the 20m cars is the Ferrari 330 P4. For a lot less money and capable of faster lap times try the Chaparral 2D.

Any classic fans who are free on Sunday's check out the link in my signature - currently racing "Avon Tour of Britain 1973" a recreation of James Hunt's winning tour (he won in a Camaro), Cobra Daytona Coupe Shootout and Chevrolet El Camino Team Trucks.

I used Camaro Z28 Race Car max tuned. The car itself only costs 250k credits and has amazing handling and grip with racing hards.
Just adjust the max speed of the gearbox for each track. :)
Same thing here. No problem. First try even with the Camaro.

The Chaparral 2J is a great car to use for the historic racing car cup. It is quick, nimble, and and has superb handling. However, it does have odd gear ratios, so before you race, make the gears closer together.

The Chaparral 2J is a great car to use for the historic racing car cup. It is quick, nimble, and and has superb handling. However, it does have odd gear ratios, so before you race, make the gears closer together.

Same here. had to change gears.

Although I somehow won the old Jaguar Le Mans car from an event I do not know about, and won using that (so didn't spend a lot of money :lol:)

I used a Toyota 7. But a Ferrari 330 P4 also works and is fun

I used the Toyota 7 as well for the win. Tried using the Corvette Stingray R/C but got completely humiliated at Monaco and Silverstone.

Would love to try the 330 P4 but haven't got 20M to throw around at the moment.

Hi guy's - I bought the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64 yesterday - and I was able to win the Monte Carlo circuit. Havn't tried the others yet....... I was very impressed with the stability and handling of the car. :)

Hi MidnightRun85 - thanks! I bought the Ford GT40 Mark I '66 - worse car ever.....!!! I have tried everything to get it to handle slightly normal - not ever possible - lost those money BIG time.. :( Don't even try - waste of money!

For this event you really need to use the fastest historic cars you can find - the 2J, Toyota 7, P4, XJ13, etc. They're just so much faster than the less-crazy cars. Although, a bit of talent and patience goes a long way in this event...

MIDNIGHTRUN85 - Just completed the Apricot Hill and Silverstone - won them both! HAPPY here :) But as you say the Toyota 7 and the 2J were up my arse until last 10's of a second!!! I got them both races caught on video - from my playroom and the playback one :) I need to find out how to share..... You tube may be?

Back