• MR. Hard to control but i'm a expert.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • RR. I don't know what's this.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I'm a loser and always will be.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Hey guys, what's the best drivetrain ?

I prefer 4WD because they handles better. I would always buy a 4WD car even if there's a better version of the car.
Anyway just tell me what you think...

Pojam.

In depends on the car. Some 4WD cars steer like bricks, and others allow free movement of the car. Some FR cars are evil, and others are superb. Same with MR, and all that crap.

I don't enjoy an over-powered FF car; anymore than 400hp and they are no fun to drive. Tried a variety of hybrids on a Dodge Neon: a Taisan Viper engine with 645 is fast, but braking and turning sucks.

I like 4WD the most, not so much for the handleing, but for the acceleration. Even with high hp, 4WD cars just take off, and you do'nt loose seconds spinnining your tires in first gear.

A close second is MR cars. They tend to be much lighter than other cars, and take corners at higher speeds.

4WD is the best for me. I love the Lancer Evo rally car 99. 100 on yaw control, simulation tyres, gear set up on 10 and you have a dead set perfect drifter. Ill challenge anyone to find a better drifting car.

dudeb, try the Audi TT. I know it's not a rally car. but try it. buy the line up model, not the special edition. max tuned it and set the transmission to 10. set ride height to lowest. and just try it. tell me what u think.

Pojam.

Ha! Check out this goofy thread! :P

Ignore the little comments on the poll, just answer the question. Notice it's multiple choice...so you can choose more than one answer. I chose 4 answers

FF: Best for beginners! :D Especially on low-powered cars. Just a generally safe drivetrain which isn't as prone to spins and other behaviors nOOBs have trouble with early-on.

FR: Best for pros! Generally the most flexible drivetrain in corners for grip-drivers, and the most fun & daring for drifters.

MR: That perfect combination of traction and flexibility. Depends on the car, of course, but I estimate 90% of mid-engine cars in GT2 are true sports cars with sleek bodies and capable handling.

AWD: Best for off-road. In GT2 (where understeer isn't programmed as drastically as in later games) AWD cars can smoke rear-drive ones on tarmac as well with less work, simply because they're so stable. Rear-drive ones can keep up if you've got the skillz, tho. :D

...so sorry. A silly thread, I know. but it made me laugh. :)

Last edited:
Still on thread bump mode Parnelli? :D

Whoever made this thread certainly doesn't know too well about drivetrain's handling characteristics. Notice the comments for FF & FR are switched. FR understeers? FF oversteers? C'mon :lol:.

For me, I choose FR as the best drivetrain. Reason? It's the most balanced and (like you said) most flexible to varying driving styles.

FFs are ponderous and most of them are low powered cars.

4WDs, awesome as they may be from a technical standpoint, just doesn't feel like a true racer's drivetrain, the car's taking care of you, instead of you fighting it. Save it for rally tracks only.

MRs are actually my favourite but there aren't many cars with MR drivetrain so it's not fair to call it the 'best' just because of these few cars that are very capable in the first place (exclude the Honda Beat). Should there be more MR cars, MR will certainly trounce FR in my books.

Lastly, RR. Funny how no one picks the RR drivetrain. Maybe because only RUFs and the Fiat 500R and Subie 360 has it, so it's not well known. Personally, I found RR a very unique (if not a novelty) drivetrain. It's the most unpredictable, one second you can be understeering like hell and the next your tail is swinging out like an out of control pendulum. Its merits however, is the awesome acceleration it delivers. However, the lack of cars using the drivetrain once again causes it to lose my vote.

Hahaha! Parnelli you've got a talent for digging up rare finds from the past! You should set up some sort of GTP Time Team or something!
"Hey, Im Tony Robinson, and today, Parnelli is looking for old forum threads buried deep...hang on, whats this he's found? Ah, its an old thread on drivetrains, circa 2002. As we can see, the people who set it up obviously have no idea what theyre talking about...damn noobs..."

Sorry, back vaguely on topic :)
I dont know, FR feels the most pure, I guess. MR is explosive, and FF feels like your driving a leech - the front end grips like hell, and the rear doesnt do much else. 4WD I've found seems to be a recipe for understeer, but maybe I just need more practice.

I'm doing mission 34 (GT4). It's the hardest of the hard, and in between starts there are 2 minutes where you gotta sit there and wait for the dumb game to send off all 5 Ai cars one at a time!!! :mad: I HATE it. As others have said, it's the worst part of the mission. I actually like the driving part.

so in between starts I've been just randomly digging up old stuff. Give it a try some time! It's funny to see how moronic it used to be around here.

...it's like the mighty Pupik surrounded by like 90% incompetent players! :lol:

LeNeGd-1: I know. I was trying to think of something positive to say about RR drivetrains, but I just haven't got enough experience with them. Don't have much experience with RUFs...I just haven't driven them in a long time.

The slower RR cars don't count because there's so many reasons why they aren't competitive (other than their drivetrain layout).

Last edited:
Yeah, they all like "OMGZ 4WD MANZZZ FR MEANZ YOO SPINSS" or something like that. Damn idiots couldn't even get that right...(sigh)

hahaha. At least we know our FRs from our FFs, dear Parnelli. C'mon, that should be second nature to ANYBODY even REMOTELY involved with cars, virtual or otherwise :) You can tell most of them lot are noobs (bar of course Pupik :bowdown:) because they all go for MR or 4WD - the easiest cars to drive IMO. Or rather, the easiest cars to handle, because for the most part, they just don't spin.
I love the joker as wlel who goes "reaal men go for FR"....errm, mate, that's real DRIVERs. The last thing we need is this forum being turned into some sort of masculinity contest 👎

So I think I've figured out why the creator of this thread describes the FF as best for oversteer and FR as best for understeer.

I think he meant FF is best for oversteer because you don't wind up oversteering very often in a FF car. Same goes for FR: it's the best for understeer because you don't wind up understeering as often (at least in GT2!) But even this doesn't make sense because many FR cars still are limited by understeer in GT2.

Convoluted logic, I know....that's my take on things. :dunce: Who knows what he meant...

Last edited:
Can you even have a favourite drivetrain? All cars drive differently and have their different characteristics, the drivetrain does help of course, but to like one more than another, I don't think its possible. Although.....RR's are fun. :sly:

Do disregard the above post from me, I was just taking the mick out of those who come on raving about their acheivments, bla bla bla, etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Joe

Can you even have a favourite drivetrain? All cars drive differently and have their different characteristics, the drivetrain does help of course, but to like one more than another, I don't think its possible. Although.....RR's are fun. :sly:

This thread isn't even about favorite drivetrains, it's about the BEST drivetrain! :lol: In other words, what's our opinion on which drivetrain is better than all the others? :rolleyes: Yeah, as if...

OHHH MY GODDDDDZ FR IS DA BEST!!!! DRIFTIN IZZ FTWWW!!!! :crazy:

(I joke. :dopey:)

Joe

Hahahahaaaa....like it 👍 Or as Jimmy Saville would say...Driftin' is For T' Win :)

And Parnelli, I think I see your skewed logic...but I just think that the maker of this thread was just dumb? Is that a more logical answer? :) j/k lol.

Or as Jimmy Saville would say...Driftin' is For T' Win :).

Dear Jim, can you fix this drivetrain for me? :sly: Hopefully Jim'll Fix It! (For all those who miss the reference, search Jim'll Fix It on Youtube.)

I think we need the original poster to come back and tell us what the Best Drivetrain is so we can discuss how amazing it is and why it is so much better than all the others! :dopey:

Joe

Who knows. All I know is I am a manly-man because I prefer rear-drive layouts...unlike the "girly" man or the loser (who will always be a loser!) :lol::lol::lol::

Last edited:
hahaha! Keeping with the Jimmy Saville ness...
"Could you fix it for me, to give me 4WD, so now matter how 🤬 and nooby I drive, I won't EVER spin?"

And Parnelli - I R ALL MAN!! I DRIVE REARDRIVE CAR!! HE DRIVE FRONTDRIVE CAR! HE R PUSSY!

Or something? :lol:

Who knows. All i know is i am a manly-man because i prefer rear-drive layouts...unlike the "girly" man or the loser (who will always be a loser!) :lol::lol::lol::

No, I think I am the manly-man as I drive an RR! Grrrrrr! *flexes muscles* This is the ULTIMATE in rear-drive layouts!!!! You pansy can never be as manly as me!

Hehe. :dopey:

Joe

Back