Best racing wheel and pedals for GT3

• Thread starter LGT42
  • 24 comments
United States
United States
Given that there are probably no wheel and pedal sets current in production that will work on the PS2 I am looking for recommendations on a used wheel and pedal sets that one might be able to find on ebay or other web site.

It is my understanding that GT3 supports 200 degrees of rotation.

If you have an opinion on one or more wheel and pedal sets that will work well with GT3 I would like to hear from you on this thread.

Thank you for your consideration.

Given that there are probably no wheel and pedal sets current in production that will work on the PS2 I am looking for recommendations on a used wheel and pedal sets that one might be able to find on ebay or other web site.

If you have an opinion on one or more wheel and pedal sets that will work well with GT3 I would like to hear from you on this thread.

Logitech Driving Force GT 👍

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Driving_Force_GT

LDFGT.jpg

The Logitech Driving Force Pro is the best wheel for GT3.

I don't think the DF GT does 200 degrees that the DFP can.

You've got a choice between the original Logitech Driving Force and the Driving Force Pro released for GT4.

Either can be had with GT branding or without. The original Driving Force has blue rubber grip on the wheel and only supports 200 degrees of rotation. The Driving Force Pro is all black with a shift stick on the right and supports 900 degrees of rotation in GT4.

The Logitech MOMO Force was the wheel I used for GT3 and it was epic. Only 200 degrees but it was a better wheel for GT3 than the driving force was. The DFP only pips it for it's hardware stop at 200 GT3 and 900 for GT4. Solely for GT3, the MOMO Force is a better wheel.

51EXD70CAKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

* Note the black MOMO Racing Force does not work with GT. Only the red MOMO Force works.

Thanks @daan, I'd never heard of that one.

It looks better built than the original Driving Force (from that pic anyway). Is that the case?

Thanks @daan, I'd never heard of that one.

It looks better built than the original Driving Force (from that pic anyway). Is that the case?
The Driving force felt like a toy compared to the MOMO Force. The MOMO had a much better build quality and the pedals were an improvement too. The MOMO was designed as a PC wheel but it just happened to work with the PS2 too.

The Driving force felt like a toy compared to the MOMO Force. The MOMO had a much better build quality and the pedals were an improvement too. The MOMO was designed as a PC wheel but it just happened to work with the PS2 too.

I enjoyed using my Driving Force but I did always think it was a bit flimsy. I was pleased that they'd stepped up the quality, as little as they had, for the DFP when I got that.

I still have my DFP and have never gotten a wheel for any of the later games, although I had been looking into getting one before lock down put a spanner in the works. I do keep meaning to get the DFP set up again so I will have to.

Cheers for the info @daan. :cheers:

I’ve had and used my Logitech Driving Force “Pro” for many years for GT3-4-5-6 and haven’t had one complaint or problem. In fact, I bought a second one as a back up just in case as I have played retro GT3-4-5-6 exclusively.

I was JUST going to make a thread asking of this! I played GT3 with my DFP but there seemed to be random communication issues. At random times my wheel would star spazing out and stop responding when racing ruining races. It happened about 7 months ago, I was doing the Rome 2 hour and around 1 hour 10 minutes in my DFP randomly stopped responding and the car started revving like mad and I had to throw the race.:mad: Later I learnt that when that happens I just pause the game and unplug the DFP and plug it back in and it works but it was a pain when it would happen. The fear of anticipating that it might occur again at random left me in fear using it in harder races like the Pro Vitz race!:nervous: So if it is true that the original Driving Force GT or Momo Force are glitch free and most suited for GT3 I'll have to get one so I can play that again because I love GT3 it's super nostalgic and I love the menu music and presentation of that GT and the rallies are actually fun in that one unlike GT4.👍

Off topic but man I hate old Phillips CRT TV's.. we all know CRT's make ringing sounds but geez my Phillips from 2002 is soo loud it gives me temporary tinnitus!:banghead: Needless to say I snipped the power cord and smashed it and threw it in the dump. I read good things about Funai SW2000 so I'm ordering that in a few days and the Momo or DF GT and starting a new GT3 file which sounds super fun. Right now I'm without a CRT TV again and I'm done with GT4 for a while I'm tired with that game from doing all the hard stuff and long races first to want to play it for a while.

I guess I'll play my Final Fantasy V ROM on my PC until then.:)

So it really work on a ps2 console??? Does it work on older fat ps2's like scph 1000-2000 as well?? I'm just confused as I don't want to buy something and have it not work.

When you guys say the Driving Force GT is flimsy do you mean that the pedals are likely to snap and break before one playthrough of GT3 is completed or is it strong enough to last 100's of hours?

Sorry for all the questions.

EDIT: Sorry I'll never double post again..

I’ve had and used my Logitech Driving Force “Pro” for many years for GT3-4-5-6 and haven’t had one complaint or problem. In fact, I bought a second one as a back up just in case as I have played retro GT3-4-5-6 exclusively.

Sorry but how did you get so lucky with the DFP working on GT3? Every DFP I've ever used with that game randomly glitches out and stops responding every time I have to quickly countersteer or sometimes when I hit a wall and the force feedback kicks in glitching the wheels response. I then have to unplug and plug it back in. It's tiresome and I'm sick of it. Looks like GT3 is a lost cause for me unless someone can kindly answer me about if the GT3 specific wheel ever has issues like mine or if anyone has ever encountered the issue I always seem to.

One simple response would be splendid.

Sorry but how did you get so lucky with the DFP working on GT3? Every DFP I've ever used with that game randomly glitches out and stops responding every time I have to quickly countersteer or sometimes when I hit a wall and the force feedback kicks in glitching the wheels response. I then have to unplug and plug it back in. It's tiresome and I'm sick of it. Looks like GT3 is a lost cause for me unless someone can kindly answer me about if the GT3 specific wheel ever has issues like mine or if anyone has ever encountered the issue I always seem to.

One simple response would be splendid.

How frequently does that happen?

I think I remember something like that happening to my Driving Force GT but I don't think it was just very often. @daan would be able to say if the Momo Force had issues like that but I would say if you're not happy with the DFP, you should start looking for the Momo Force.

I ended up ordering a GT Force wheel.. the one pictured in the GT3 apsec manual! Since that one was designed exclusively for GT3 I doubt it will ever have glitches like that. Well at least my DFP has been behaving more reliably lately in three hours it only did it once last night thank goodness. I think it would mess up when both the controller and steering wheel were plugged in at once. So when I unplugged the controller and turned off the power and tuned it on again it was working fine..hmm.

I am so confused! I seriously hope it doesn't occur when doing the pro league Vitz race or Avant Garde those races are hard enough as it is without even factoring random wheel glitches.

I got all golds in only three days somehow. Now I'm just clearing up arcade mode.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a GT Force wheel.. the one pictured in the GT3 apsec manual! Since that one was designed exclusively for GT3 I doubt it will ever have glitches like that. Well at least my DFP has been behaving more reliably lately in three hours it only did it once last night thank goodness. I think it would mess up when both the controller and steering wheel were plugged in at once. So when I unplugged the controller and turned off the power and tuned it on again it was working fine..hmm.

I am so confused! I seriously hope it doesn't occur when doing the pro league Vitz race or Avant Garde those races are hard enough as it is without even factoring random wheel glitches.

I got all golds in only three days somehow. Now I'm just clearing up arcade mode.

Thanks for the reply.
How do you like the "GT Force wheel" so far?

Where do you think I might I be able to acquire one?

Does it include mounting for table top edge or a rig?

You should be able to find them on eBay possibly even Amazon.

They do come with clamps for table mounting. My one also came with a device that sits on your lap with a bit that goes between your legs to grip with your thighs. It was handy for me not having a suitable table or rig.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't got my GT# Edition GT Force yet it's still half way across the country sadly. I'll report once I get it though. I would like to point out that as usual the DFP I had totally crapped out on me when playing GT3 and the gear system in it absolutely failed to calibrate for any mode. I ended up junking it after many failed fix attempts. I'm never buying a DFP again next time I play a 900 degree steering game I'll get a g25(I used to own one and it was the best wheel I've ever owned) or a g27 or a g29, or something and use my GT Force for GT3 etc. Knowing my luck there might be something wrong with my GT Force too. It's like i'm destined to never be able to finish GT3 with a wheel set up geez. I contacted the Gt Force seller and he said it worked perfectly for him when playing GT3 so I suppose I'll take his word for it.

EDIT I got my GT Force GT3 edition wheel today and it has no calibration or glitch issues at all. I like it.. finally a wheel I can use in peace with gt3 yess! I'm just trying to get used to having to use only padd;e shifters and the pedals feel softer and different overall.

Good set up for gt3, highly recomended!

Last edited:
I got a GT Force wheel and pedal package with all the trimmings. Expect to give a go soon with GT3 once my component to HDMI converter and vertical stand for PS2 slim arrive.

The cord on the pedal set is too short for my desktop mount setup. The connector looks like a standard telephone handset connector (4P4C)

I wonder if I could you a telephone headset extension cord to extend the pedal set cord?

EDIT: Ordered a 7 ft RJ9 to RJ9 flat cable and F-to-F adapter to try.

Last edited:
I was JUST going to make a thread asking of this! I played GT3 with my DFP but there seemed to be random communication issues. At random times my wheel would star spazing out and stop responding when racing ruining races. It happened about 7 months ago, I was doing the Rome 2 hour and around 1 hour 10 minutes in my DFP randomly stopped responding and the car started revving like mad and I had to throw the race.:mad: Later I learnt that when that happens I just pause the game and unplug the DFP and plug it back in and it works but it was a pain when it would happen. The fear of anticipating that it might occur again at random left me in fear using it in harder races like the Pro Vitz race!:nervous: So if it is true that the original Driving Force GT or Momo Force are glitch free and most suited for GT3 I'll have to get one so I can play that again because I love GT3 it's super nostalgic and I love the menu music and presentation of that GT and the rallies are actually fun in that one unlike GT4.👍
I had the same thing happen with my G27 on a slim playstation 2 with GT3

I think it may have been also in Rome... Maybe there's a bug in the game?

I'm not sure what combination of variables cause it. But quickly grabbing a regular controller to pause then reconnecting the usb port fixes the issue and possibly saves the race.

update: I bought an old usb 1.1 powered hub and used it with my fat ps2 to connect g27, and haven't had the disconnect problem yet

Last edited:
update: I bought an old usb 1.1 powered hub and used it with my fat ps2 to connect g27, and haven't had the disconnect problem yet
This is interesting, this thought never even crossed my mind.

I also have used a g27 for a long time with GT3. The wheel disconnect issue primarily happens if you have anything plugged into the controller ports. I have only had the disconnect issue twice once I discovered that (and both times were after extremely long sessions).

I never thought this would be a power issue, because I would think it would cause issues in other games and I only ever had problems with GT3. Also I figured the power brick on the G27 is what powered the usb as plugging in just the usb doesn’t even show a green light. Now that I think about it though, that could just be for the force feedback motors.

Is the usb hub still working good for you? I may consider going this route because once I 100% this game I want to be able to enjoy Professional difficulty in arcade but that requires a controller, and it’d be too much of a hassle to stand up to do this every time.

Edit: Further realizations this may indeed be a power issue. I found the force feedback was always weak if you just booted the game up and jumped right in. A trick I always did to get more force feedback that somehow worked in GT3: unplug and replug the wheel in during the intro cutscene.

Last edited:
Edit: Further realizations this may indeed be a power issue. I found the force feedback was always weak if you just booted the game up and jumped right in. A trick I always did to get more force feedback that somehow worked in GT3: unplug and replug the wheel in during the intro cutscene.
I haven't noticed this.

I also have used a g27 for a long time with GT3. The wheel disconnect issue primarily happens if you have anything plugged into the controller ports. I have only had the disconnect issue twice once I discovered that (and both times were after extremely long sessions).

I haven't tried not playing with a stock ps2 controller plugged in.

I just tried a USB hub because I know that the USB on the PS2 isn't properly USB specced, as it was designed a little before the USB spec was finalized.
Some USB PS2 accessories don't work right on PC because of this, like the usb rez trance vibrator, for example

So it's not about the power to the g27, but about the 5v line and signal quality from the PS2's USB port, afaik.

The specific usb hub I used is iogear microhub model guhx104, but that's just because the only powered usb 1.1 hub I had on hand, and I don't have a powered usb 2 or 3 hub to test. I don't know if a USB 2/3 hub would work.

many usb hubs have an optional power connector that may be listed in the specs, so check pictures.
Like, this "goldx" looks exactly like mine, but was just sold under a different label:

Last edited:
Thanks for that info! I honestly did not know about any of that. I don’t know much about the inner-workings of USB, all I knew was the PS2 was 1.1. I’ll get a USB 1.1 powered hub to try out once I get my PS2 up and running again in the next couple weeks. I’ll report back my results.

Finally reporting back. No success sadly, got myself a powered USB 1.1 hub and gave it a whirl on a 20-lap race around SSR11 with the first controller port having something plugged in. 22 minutes in the wheel disconnected. Disconnected what was in controller port 1, plugged my G27 directly into the PS2, and haven't had an issue since. At least for me, the issue is definitely having anything plugged into the first controller port, regardless of what is plugged in there (even an IR Receiver for the PS2 DVD Remote which the game doesn't even recognize as a controller).

One unexplored option could be the GT Force driver for GIMX. Not really worth the effort to me personally, a lot of hassle just to get the ability to easily enable Professional difficulty in Arcade. However if someday unplugging the controller port doesn't help someone, here's the link to the GIMX driver:

Back