Biggest Disappointment in GT1

United States
Texas, USA.
Winning the Dodge Copperhead Concept car, tuning all the gears showing it would go 400MPH+ and when finally racing it, it sucked =/

EDIT: By the way, you can also post YOUR biggest disappointment in GT1

I have no Dissappointments from GT1, What a great introduction for a GT game, I thinks it's still awesome, I also Know that the Yellow or Purple Concept cars are the Best Cars in the game when raced on 99% of the Tracks!

HYBRIDLVR
I have no Dissappointments from GT1, What a great introduction for a GT game, I thinks it's still awesome, I also Know that the Yellow or Purple Concept cars are the Best Cars in the game when raced on 99% of the Tracks!
Whats the 1% of Tracks that those cars aren't the best on then?

At first I thought this thread was a little mean, but then I set my way-back machine and tried to remember the little things which disappointed me.

1. All instances of a particular used car are identical (except perhaps for colour), irrespective of the price you pay for them. When I first got the game, I thought perhaps the cheaper cars were in worse shape in some way.
  2. All prize cars sell for Cr12,000 (well except for the B license Concept Car, which you can't sell).
  3. No dashboard view.
  4. The views and graphics on the reverse tracks are poor compared to the forward tracks.

SportWagon
At first I thought this thread was a little mean, but then I set my way-back machine and tried to remember the little things which disappointed me.
  1. All instances of a particular used car are identical (except perhaps for colour), irrespective of the price you pay for them. When I first got the game, I thought perhaps the cheaper cars were in worse shape in some way.
  2. All prize cars sell for Cr12,000 (well except for the B license Concept Car, which you can't sell).
  3. No dashboard view.
  4. The views and graphics on the reverse tracks are poor compared to the forward tracks.
These are good criticisim's of the game, however only the money for selling prize cars changed in the latter installments of GT. Does that prove how PD got it right the first time?

The game has entirely too much grip if you compare it to the newer ones. Strange to notice now, because back then it felt entirely life-like.

I never made the mistake mentioned in the first post, because I never would assume a gear chart reading would automatically come true irrespective of vehicle power.

I think the biggest disappointment for me, back when I first got it, was the complete lack of Euro/US rides. They focused on them more on GT2, and they seem to be again in GT4, so that's good. Some other noteworthy ones are the fact that a racing transmission always kept the stock amount of gears (I want an R32 with six speeds, damnit!), and as SportWagon mentioned, the 12000Cr "issue". What I really do miss however are the gear charts and the dyno readings (when switching boost levels).

there were no real dissapointments, if you compare the grip levels on the game compared to l8r installments, i'd rather like the grip on GT1

matherto
there were no real dissapointments, if you compare the grip levels on the game compared to l8r installments, i'd rather like the grip on GT1
I would agree with that.

If you bought the game from new when it first came out - what could you possibly be disapointed with? GT1 was so far ahead of anything else before (or a long time after) that i think that any disppointment can only be considered a retrospective comment - if you see what i mean.

I know it only had what, 200 or so cars and most of those were Japanese, but what other game of its time had 1/10th of that amount?

GT1 when launched was a new kind of racing sim/game, I don't think no other racing sim before ever featured "ordinary" touring car that you and I could buy from your local dealer then tune, improve and race them.
Not having a previous reference to compare with , it was difficult for me to find any desappointment with GT1.
The only one was No view from the hood , but it looks like the GT serie will never have any view from the hood anyway.

Yeah. The views have been a let down for me in the GT series. I'd really like a hood cam. The new view in prologue is really stupid and only good for this one coffee break.

Neon_SRT
2 things for me. I don't like the qualifing and everytime a race starts, the camera rotates around the car and it takes forever.
I would agree with that. The old way was the best, another thing PD got right for GT and then spoiled!!!

Chris Criswell
EDIT: By the way, you can also post YOUR biggest disappointment in GT1

Really? I thought the idea of "threads" was so one person could post, then all the others could sit around reading what he had to say?

Actually, the Dodge Concept is the best car in the game. I really enjoy racing that car, it actually "handles" unlike half the cars in GT1.

Oh, and I have no disappointments.

Stinky Chicken
Don't you be dissin' Motorsportsland, now. That's a great little course.

And isn't that on GT2? ;)

I simply said the track had lots of turns in it, Meaning Twisty with lots of turns! How is that dissin it? But since you mentioned it, It did suck!

HYBRIDLVR
I simply said the track had lots of turns in it, Meaning Twisty with lots of turns! How is that dissin it? But since you mentioned it, It did suck!

Couldn't you tell by my tone I was joking? Okay then - I was joking.

The track doesn't suck, it rules! *headbang*

And it's in GT2, so it's inadmissible here.

The First Gran Turismo was awesome.
I personally have no dissapointments with the game.
Qualifying wasnt a big deal because you could earn a little extra cash and a position before each race.
Cars actually got dirty unlike gt2
Special Stage R11
when you bought parts for say a gto twintubo once you didnt have to pay for those parts again.
Drifting was a piece of cake
Endurance races werent too long

This game had no flaws and was an outstanding preview for the greatest video game series ever made (and still in progress).

Rebel51
The First Gran Turismo was awesome.
I personally have no dissapointments with the game.
Qualifying wasnt a big deal because you could earn a little extra cash and a position before each race.
Cars actually got dirty unlike gt2

Finally, another lover of dirty cars! You're right, I was so pissed that the GT2 cars don't lose their shine. Some of them would look awesome without all that dumb glare...

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Finally, another lover of ‘dirty’ cars! You're right, i was so pissed that the gT2 cars don't lose their shine. Some of them would look awesome without all that dumb glare...

You could hybrid them to take the shine off I'm sure. Another thing that GT got right first time.

dissapointment to me of course was the lack of german cars and u.s. cars. the MIRROR TINT and thats about it....

the fto lm,cerberra, and rx7 lm edition were my fav. cars that i can think of right off the top.

oh and i llked(and sometimes annoying) how the car would redline in all the damn gears.....sounded funny

Yeah the bias of Japanese cars was slightly dis-satisfying but other than that the game is pretty rock solid.

Oh wait B3, A4 and A8 were *****es of licenses tests to do.

liam2maps
Yeah the bias of Japanese cars was slightly dis-satisfying but other than that the game is pretty rock solid.

Oh wait B3, A4 and A8 were *****es of licenses tests to do.

Yeah but that just pushed you harder to complete them.

Back