Columbus discovering the "new world"?
2003 Iraq invasion over WMD's?
Gulf of Tonkin incident?
Einstein failing mathematics?
Communism?
Capitalism?
Jesus Christ?
The Holocaust?
Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended the Japanese aggression?
The Bible?
Dianetics?
Mandatory taxation?
Politics?
Healthy smoking?
"I agree to the terms of service"?
Black people can't swim?

What do you think?

What do you think?

Were some of those really ever lies? Mandatory taxation just is. If you agree to ToS then you just do. Several others that you mention like politics, religion, and black-people-can't-swim (really?) probably belong as discussion in other threads.

I know, I know

Define "biggest".
Everybody's personal perspective will "define" it.

Gran Turismo release dates :P
Yup, I was thinking about that too.

I've seen your initial comment and I was aware of breaking the AUP by asking something with sexual connotations. With that being said, your comment has a valid point, like "going blind because ....." :eek:

I wonder how many people actually read the terms of service. (Not going against anybody here).
We need to learn about using EULAlyzer.

...Personally I'd go with either Santa Clause (man, that was devastating for me to learn that this was all fake when I was like 5) or original PS3 was THE MOST POWERFUL console EVAH.

Oh wait, I can think of a few more....:dopey:

Biggest lies ever:

Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup one day.
Eat it, it's good for you.
Don't worry, he won't bite.
Put your coat on or you'll catch cold.
This will hurt me more than it hurts you.
Just drink it, you'll be fine.
Jump in, the water is warm.
If you use it too much you'll go blind.
Don't worry, I'll pull out.

IF in the unlikely event it were ever to be proven that the Apollo moon landings were a lie
... it'd be miraculous since you can directly observe evidence yourself.

Alongside giving us an LRV to drive in Gran Turismo 6, Apollo 15 left a Lunar Laser Ranging Retro-Reflector on the surface that reflects incident light directly back along its path. You can point a laser right at it (because we know where it is) and get a signal back - unlike any other part of the Lunar surface. It's part of an ongoing process of measuring the distance to the Moon and the largest of FIVE such reflectors left there.

The real question was human setting foot on the Moon surface, or should I say American Astronaut :) I don't know if Russia has good enough reasons to doubt NASA moon landing, but right now I believe that humans have indeed land on the Moon and came back to Earth safely.

... it'd be miraculous since you can directly observe evidence yourself.

Alongside giving us an LRV to drive in Gran Turismo 6, Apollo 15 left a Lunar Laser Ranging Retro-Reflector on the surface that reflects incident light directly back along its path. You can point a laser right at it (because we know where it is) and get a signal back - unlike any other part of the Lunar surface. It's part of an ongoing process of measuring the distance to the Moon and the largest of FIVE such reflectors left there.

Sadly, the mirror laser project ended a number of years ago. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/jun/21/mcdonald-observatory-space-laser-funding

Such mirrors could have been deployed by automated missions, so in themseleves are not sufficient to prove a manned mission. But I am not personally doubting it, only playing devil's advocate.

Edit: I'm off to my fishing cabin 'til Sunday. :drool:

Last edited:
All this was inspired by the principle – which is quite true in itself – that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying. These people know only too well how to use falsehood for the basest purposes.

You forgot:

* Aliens don't exist.

* The big bang theory (not the tv show)

* time travel

* There is nothing faster than the speed of light

I'll stop now before I start to believe my own lies. :D

Back