Bike Challenge: Yamaha TZ250

• Thread starter FUtec2k
  • 26 comments
I've completed over 60% of TT, including every bike challenge except for the Yamaha TZ250. I cannot win this bike for the life of me....getting around 2nd place is easy enough, but first is much faster and catching him in one lap at Tsukuba seems impossible! The closest I've come is within two seconds (or sectors?).

Is there a secret to this challenge? Maybe a magic potion I can sprinkle on my rider's head? Possibly altered racing lines to fit the bike? Please help!

FUtec2k
I've completed over 60% of TT, including every bike challenge except for the Yamaha TZ250. I cannot win this bike for the life of me....getting around 2nd place is easy enough, but first is much faster and catching him in one lap at Tsukuba seems impossible! The closest I've come is within two seconds (or sectors?).

Is there a secret to this challenge? Maybe a magic potion I can sprinkle on my rider's head? Possibly altered racing lines to fit the bike? Please help!

I would post some sector times, but they don't show up in this challenge. All I can do is explain to you how it goes down when I do well in this challenge.

For starters, you should pass the first bike before you reach the apex of the sharp right hander that leads to the back straight. Once you exit this corner, you should see the bike in first postition somewhere off in the distance, but you should never lose site of him. If you can cross the finish line within three seconds of the first bike, then you should have a chance to take him before the last lap is over.

If the closest you can get to the lead bike is two seconds, then you probably need to pick up the pace, or try taking it deeper into the corners before you hit the brakes.

There's also a section in the middle of the track where you can make up some time, but it's tricky to pull off. It's not a necessary move, but if you get it right, you can make good time. After you pass under the dunlop tire, you can hit the left hander and kick it into third. Even try cutting your line over the inside curb. If you get lucky, the back end will break loose a bit and you'll be able to keep it from running past the apron on exit. This is also a good way to crash.. It's not quite magic dust, but it helps.

It's tough to advice people where they can gain some ground without some sector times, but TT ability to transfer replay data throught he USB drive can probably help. This is what i recommend, take a shot at it and then post your replay. This way, we can see how you're running your line and what you can fix to complete this challenege. ;)

For me, this was the most difficult challenge by far. I found that the trick is to be more aggressive going into corners and more careful exiting them than you think you should. Go into the hairpins deep, then hug the inside and apply the throttle smootly. The chicane is another important area; try to clip the kerb of the first turn and then bank immediately to the left, being careful with the throttle application. If you get it right, you'll get a nice exit speed.

racingnerd
I might be able to do that. I'll have to look into it. I do have a usb stick that I use to save pics.. How do I save and share replays?

To save a replay, when you finish your race, on the race screen you have your icons for entering race and tuning, you want to goto the icon of the memory card with the pink up arrow to save to memory card, save your replay. to save that to usb stick goto replay theatre and select your replay and goto the icons at the right of the screen, they should be lit up if you have selected your replay, theres a upload to usb icon ther think its 4th or 5th one down. then its a case of transferring it to your pc and you upload it here by adding an attachment. maybe an easier way to do the first part but thats how I do it.

This is also the only challenge I'd given more than 4 shots so far.. That TZR is one scary fast 250....

The best I've managed so far is a >2 second down... And we're talking around 20 attempts...

I really like the TZR, can't wait to take it to a race against some liter bikes - the way this bike is flickable.. Ohh boy !...

What are your distances to the leader? If I remember correctly, I was four seconds behind on the first sector, three on the second, two after the first lap, and then one on the first sector of the second lap. I caught the lead bike going into the chicane and we bumped for a bit. I finally passed him going into the last hairpin of the second lap. He cut underneath me and repassed me but then I accelerated past him coming out of the hairpin.

yes man this challenge could be done but you have to try a lot of times
the cornering and the acceleration have to be real good eventually in the tryouts you will find the right moves to get this task done in my case took me 3 days to get it done

frist of all you eventually pass the 2 rider real easy when the experience its going bigger you will be capable to get close to the 1 rider in my case y lost 3 or 4 times with a less than 1/8 of a second my advice its try ,try ,try ,and try bro you wll eventually succed

and of course go for the tz 250 race prize the MARVELOUS

the blue lightning THE MORWAKI CBR 1000 RR RM 05 SUZUKA 8 HRS BRO

The best I've been able to do so far is 2 sectors (or is it seconds) behind.

I don't have a USB drive so I can't post any replays, but I do have a couple questions....

Coming from an automotive racing background, the racing line I've come to know and love must be thrown out of the window. Normally, it's better to slow down before the corner, then accelerate out (slow in, fast out). it seems when I follow the same racing line, I must wait forever to ease back into the throttle, and end up having a much lower speed at the next braking point. Over time, I've started braking much later into the corners, effectively angling it off, and accelerating whilst mid-corner...it seems to work, but I'm wondering if there is a faster route?

focus on the chicane section in the middle of the track. Try lineing up for the exit of the chicane from the corner before the dunlop tire. And also try and get a good line for the last corner, I think these are the main corners where time can be made up. Well it worked for me!

Riding a 2-stroke is completely different to a 4-stroke, especially on race tuned bikes.

You want to go in fast, stop it in the corner, stand it up as quick as possible and fire it out. 2-stroke riders don't bother with corner speed, its done on the entrance/exit of a corner.

Reason being a 2-stroke is a lot less torquier than a 4 and has a very powerful - but much smaller - power band in the rev range, usually quite high up.

Now if the game is as accurate as some say it is, you should benefit from riding a 2 stroke like you would in real life :sly:

Hoffmann
2-stroke riders don't bother with corner speed

This saying needs a reliable source !.... If the 2 strokers didn't bother with corner speed, then how come the 250s are only 10 seconds slower pr. lap at Qatar compared to the almighty MotoGP liter bikes ?... It's certainly not the acceleration out of corners or massive topspeed down the straight...

In my world, 2 strokers are ALL about corner speed...

They brake deeper into corners and are on the power earlier. Trust me, you don't want to hit a 2-stroke powerband when your bike is at an angle.

Unless you like air time...

Saying that, its still more pertinent to the old 500 2-strokes than the 250s, and 125 is a completely different deal again, whereing weighing 100lbs is the biggest benefit going.

Hoffmann
They brake deeper into corners and are on the power earlier. Trust me, you don't want to hit a 2-stroke powerband when your bike is at an angle.

Unless you like air time...

Saying that, its still more pertinent to the old 500 2-strokes than the 250s, and 125 is a completely different deal again, whereing weighing 100lbs is the biggest benefit going.

a 500cc 2 stroke is COMPLETELY different from a 250 or 125.. sure the powerbands are narrow, but the 250 and 125 dont have monster power. The 500cc bikes need to 'square' corners off, because you *really* cant use that kind of power leaned over. A 250 and 125 dont have enough power to cut corners like that. If you brake hard and slow down too much, you wont have enough juice to get it going up to pace again.

125 and 250 2 stroke racing is all about keeping your speed. Think of the brake as a speed adjustment, not an on-off switch. The 125s and 250s have a HUGE advantage when it comes to cornering clearance and corner speed. This needs to be exploited. Trail brake late and deep into corners and wick it up asap (while still leaned over). You cant afford to roll the throttle off for one fraction of a second. Your going to have to be precice and deliberate with evry braking, throttle and turning input.

The 250s have equivilant power to a 600cc supersport (actually a bit less), and accelleration is quite good, but top speed suffers (only horsepower and aerodynamics determines top speed, not wieght). The powerband may be peaky, but the bikes are so light, and the power isnt so overwhelming, you can use all of it in a corner, only suffering minor slides now and then.

You can get away with ALOT more on a light bike like this, than a heavy bike.

So, be precice, deliberate with your control inputes. Trail brake LATE and deep into the corner, keep corner speed as high as possible, and get on the gas as soon as possible. Roll it on smoothly, lean back a little bit when your cranked over to ensure the rear tire hooks up. The keep it pinned all the way to the next corner.

I have had sucsess using just the front brake. It allows you to keep a much tighter line when entering a corner than using both brakes. This means you can brake deeper into the corner, which means you can keep the throttle open that much longer on the previous straight. The way you release the brake is important to, if you just snap it open all at once, the bike will run wide, if you smoothly release it as you are about to apex, the bike will *suck* to the inside of the turn.

Good luck.

Well, last night i decided to give this a go again, so i got very frustrated after 35 minutes of attempts, and i have broken one of my DS2 controls. About 15 minutes later or so, i finally passed the lead bike coming out of the last haripin on lap 2. i think i woke up the next door with my victory cry.

Anyways, you should take the advice of breaking late and turning the bike around almost 180* and just pinning it, it really helped alot, and you can also cut the chicane after the dunlop corner, you have to be carefulk with it though. Also, oddly enough, i switched over to 3rd person about 50 or so tries in, and i think it helped me out, it lets you see more of the track so you can place you bike a little bit better, just a tip.

The 250 does everything so well. I think there are two key aspects to this race. The first is to maximize the your cornering speed in a few key areas, such as the chicanes. Some turns cornering speed can be sacrificed for early apex turns to maximize the amount of time you are in a straight. This also lets you accelerate out much earlier and overall, cutting down on your time. Really, the trick to this map, is a combination of both of what everyone is saying. The hard part is figuring out which corners deserve what kind of line.

First of all, this challenge is awesome.. any race that makes you
go all out the whole time is great in my book, still haven't beaten
it, got within about .001 seconds though, practically side by side
as we crossed the finish line and then my bike passed his right
after we crossed the line :mad: :lol:

One thing though, about saving the replay to the usb.. It saves it
in the FlexLM format. For the record does anyone know of ANY way
to convert this to some type of file so that I could watch it using
a video app on my desktop? Surely there has got to be a way. :irked:

Interesting thread. I didn't think much of this challenge until I read about it here, and that was after beating it. I found that some of the other 5-race championships were more of a challenge to beat, some of the races by only a few seconds. To be clear though, which challenge is it that is the topic of this thread?

Well, I also had some problems with this challange, but found a way to beat it pretty easily.

It all comes down to the chicane. I found that you can cut the grass on the left turn and it allows you to maintain a higher speed through that part of the track. It's a small enough patch of grass that it won't make you fail. Just have to be careful not to swing the rear out or dump the bike, or hit the grass at the wrong angle and go across the track and fail. I was able to pass the 2nd TZ250 doing this, and got within 1 segment/section/second/whatever of the first one on the 2nd lap, and then was able to brake late at the hairpin, throttle through it hitting the apexes perfectly, then passed #1 shortly there after, and won the challange just shy of the start-finish line.

i find it od that people meantion the new chicane so much. my problem is the hairpins that make up the rest of the track. the tz seems to want fast, flowing bends and sweepers. not the stop'n'go hairpins that make up tsubuka(sp)

I came close to beating it today. It all comes down to crashing into the first biker. I found that if the comp controlled biker is out of the track, you do not fail, only if they fall (then you'll fail). So I think if I could crash into him (from behind) while he breaks for the last long right corner, he should go into the sand, that would give me enough time do pass him. I did this to the first comp controlled biker and it works fairly well.

I finally did it! Thanks for all the tips guys. It seems like the more I tried it, the less pissed it made me when I failed. The idea here is to NOT smash the controls, it does not help!
This has got to be the hardest mission in the game. Now that I've beaten it, I think every other race will be a cakewalk!
I agree, that the place to make up time is the chicane. When you cut over the grass it will make you lean over just enough so that when you hit the tarmac, -if done right- you will shoot out, spinning the rear, and change directions very quickly without slowing down too much. It is very hard to get right, since you are basically losing control for a second.

I did this years ago and decided to bring the game out and start from scratch again recently.

This challenge is once again a very insane but refreshing challenge. I'm working on it still all over again.

Back