Bird is the word - Now with a sequel, "Autograph Roar"!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 27 comments

Greycap

The Flying Finn
Premium
Finland
Finland
Bird, Bird, Bird is the Word

It was a dark and stormy night.

:ouch: No no, that belongs to another story... it was a sunny Sunday morning when I sat in front of my computer and noticed a familiar *beep* to notify me of a new email. After signing in I saw a message from a person I had never heard of and thought that someone must have sent their email into the wrong address. But no, as I began reading a message I realized that it really was addressed to me and the person (some old gentleman from North Carolina) wanted to present me one of the cars he had in his garage.

Now I had a faint memory of a man I had met in a race a few weeks earlier but I had no idea where he had fished my email address from. He would pay the airplane tickets and even the Greyhound ride across the country (I have always wanted to do that :D) so I gladly accepted the offer and began planning the trip.

After arriving at the airport I saw a man holding a sign with my name on it, walked to him and asked him if he was the person I was to meet - after getting a positive answer we boarded the bus and began the journey towards NC. He told me long stories about stock car racing, which still didn't ring any bells in my head, and I remember thinking that he looked somehow familiar but couldn't put a finger on his personality. I began humming one of my favourite songs, one of the verses is "In the moonlight, see the Greyhound rollin' on." and fell asleep as we travelled through the night.

I woke up while the guy was shaking my shoulder and telling me that we were in our destination. All right, out of the bus and let the walking begin. After a short while we arrived at a huge house. Damn, I thought, these folks must be rich. I was presented to a man (the guy welcoming me at the airport was his son) with a moustache and sunglasses, he was indeed the man I had met in that race. Still no idea about his name, and I was stupid enough not to ask it now. Oh well, chatting aside and we made our way to a garage...

I was astonished when in the dim light I saw one of the most successful and legendary American stock car racers ever, the huge Plymouth Superbird. How an earth did this guy have one of these ultra rare machines in his garage? I thought it would be too blunt to ask it directly so I didn't. I just looked at it in awe, the shark-looking muscle car with a huge rear wing was one of the cars I had always dreamt of and now I was standing next to one. And then the man dropped the bomb. "You'll be driving it today!" Rrright... having managed to calm my racing heart down we shook hands and proceeded to find me a racing suit and a helmet, not to forget a pair of racing shoes and gloves. All in blue with white trim, I noticed and wondered why - I hadn't actually seen the colour of the car in the garage, just recognized the body shape.

bird1av9.jpg

The driving was to occur on the famous Californian race course Infineon Raceway, better known as the Sears Point. I wondered how the big car would cope with the tight corners and fast S-turns but as I would later find out, those weren't problems at all.

When we had finally arrived at the raceway I was given a short briefing about the car. "It's not a usual road Superbird... the engine has been tweaked a little and the rest of the chassis isn't exactly stock either. As you probably know the stock 426 Hemi pumped out 425 brake horsepower but this one has a bit more, 722 to be exact." :eek: OK, a real monster. "The engine is coupled with a modern six-speed sequential box; it's so much more comfortable to use then the original four-speed. The powertrain also has a new clutch, flywheel and differential." Great, tons of torque and enough gears to ensure staying on the powerband. "Naturally the chassis has been lightened, the car is 299 kg lighter on its feet than the stock model and to further improve the handling, it stands on a fully adjustable race suspension." So, am I actually driving a Superbird on steroids? Oh yes. "The paintwork is Jamaica Blue, complete with white trim and I've also put matching Yokohama wheels on it, just to make the exterior as balanced as it can be." Nothing to argue here, the car looks outright stunning... but how will it drive? "You'll find out soon, get into your racing overalls and head onto the track. Just remember not to floor it on the lowest gears."

bird2wt1.jpg

Starting the engine produces a giant growl from the twin exhaust pipes sized like beer cans. I gingerly give the powerhouse some throttle and feel the entire car vibrating, like a well-trained horse wanting to get loose. This is the moment, time to get the job done. Engage the clutch, select the first gear, slowly release the clutch and off we go.

And the car really goes, just a small blip on the throttle makes it leap forward with rocket-like acceleration pushing me into the seat. The steering must have been beefed up too, no way that those old muscle cars would have had this sharp and fast steering. The big old Plymouth glides effortlessly through the corners, not feeling like a muscle car at all, it feels just like a race car - which it actually was built to be. I took the first laps easily, not wanting to wreck this automotive masterpiece in the tyre barriers. Slowly I built some confidence on the car and began attacking the course more aggressively. One wouldn't think a car over five and a half meters long to handle this well but sometimes the reality is more amazing than science fiction.

bird3vd8.jpg

I'm far from a great driver but even I could get pretty much out of this historical machine and I thought it would be a terrific weapon in the hands of a truly skilled driver. How little did I know... I drove about twenty laps, not pushing the car to its limits, I had too much respect towards it to rev the engine to the redline or crush the gears in like there were no tomorrow. After the run I got out of the car smiling very widely and walked to the motorhome for a well-deserved glass of soda. Then I remembered the thing that had bothered me for the entire time... "By the way, sir, who are you? You look familiar."

"Some people call me the King, but for you I'm just Richard."

----------
My first race report, please be gentle. :P

- R -

Great report man, I really enojyed reding it :), it wasn't too long or too short, and you covered pretty much everything very well, and you also gotta love those snapshots.

Defenitely worthy of + Rep...

Ciao!

Absolute magic Greycap! Nice story, excellent pictures. 👍 +rep *edit* Sadly not, for now, denied by the "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Greycap again" message. I'll be back with your well deserved points later.....
Just 1 minor quibble:- Infineon is in California, not NC. ;) It's about 30 miles from where I live.
Keep the reports coming! :cheers:

Argh, so much for writing these around midnight... *corrected the error*

Thanks for the comments, I hope this won't be the last report from me. :)

- R -

Hate the "shopping trolley", like the story. 👍 Hope to see more of these reports from you. :)

AMG.

It's worth bringing this thread back up, if not just to add my little comment, but to bring it to more people's attention!

Spectacular report, Greycap, really involving and incredibly realistic. There's usually always some giveaway in GT4 reports trying to sound real, but in this one there just... isn't... Even the photos look real! Great stuff! 👍

DE

Thank you everyone, and I have good news for you: a sequel is in the works, only waiting for pictures now! :D

- R -

Autograph Roar

"Then came Plymouth
then came the Ford
Then there was a green light
and then there was a roar
The muscle cars sang a song their throttles open wide
rapidly building up speed
side by side
Like a rolling thunder..."

(Original lyrics: Dire Straits - Telegraph Road)
"Then came the mines
then came the ore
Then there was the hard times
then there was a war
Telegraph sang a song about the world outside
Telegraph road got so deep
and so wide
Like a rolling river..."

As soon as it hit me that this was Mr. Stock Car himself I was stunned. No wonder that he had one of these cars, probably one of the test cars for his team back then. We then began a discussion on how the car felt for me.

"Did you like the handling?"
- I surely did, great for a car that big and heavy but if possible, some things could be improved.
"Go ahead, we'll see what can be done."
- It understeers a bit on corner entry when braking, that takes away from the confidence.
"OK, that we'll fix with some toe out and a softer front stabilizer. Anything else?"
- How about increasing the ride height a little?
"So you want more aggressive weight transfer?"
- Exactly!
"No problem, it'll be ready in fifteen minutes."

He walked to the mechanics, talked with them for a while and then the men began working on the car. I, unceremonially, went into the men's room. :P

Richard came back after a while and said that the car was ready for another run, asking if I wanted to try it out now or after a few hours' break. Quite a stupid question and he knew it himself judging by the smile on his face, I got into the car again and headed for the track.

The setup changes had been spot on. The inside rumble strips felt like magnetically pulling the car closer to them in turn-in and the feel for the suspension was greatly enhanced by the increased ride height, now it suited my driving style as a glove and was even more of a joy to handle than before. I pulled into the pits and expressed my feelings. Richard looked satisfied and dropped an even bigger bomb than the first one, about me driving the car.

"You'll be racing tomorrow with this car!"
- What the hell, are you serious?
"Serious as can be, I know a guy that called me today and wants to show the superiority of his modern supercar. We'll show him that even old dogs can learn new tricks."
- OK, what shall I be going against?
"Ford GT... but it's stock, so nothing to worry about there. He doesn't know that this old lady isn't exactly a pensioner."
- That's a deal! Only one question left: where?
"Laguna Seca, I bet you know the place."

The next morning was sunny with some woolly looking clouds in the sky, a great day for some track driving. The mechanics were making some last minute tweaks to the car while I was trying to swallow my breakfast. Just after downing the last drops of orange juice I heard a roar of a big V8 getting closer and guessed that it was my opponent arriving at the meeting. He drove the GT into the pit area and I could see the car in its purple paint. Ugh, what a colour! Oh well, even better to humiliate an ugly car... *no attack intended for those of you who like the colour*

All checks done, we started the engine of the Superbird and the hills once more echoed the roar of the mighty Hemi. I got into the car, got the last tips from Richard and then I was off to the track, closely followed by the Ford. He seemed to be playing with me, making quick accelerations every now and then to bring his car to the same level with mine. He must have been totally confident about the superiority of his car, not knowing the Mr. Hyde inside the old aero racer. I eventually let him pass me, I knew I had time to show him the power of a real muscle car.

We drove two laps warming up the tyres and then began increasing the pace. His car seemed to become more and more skittish when braking into turns, the mid-engine layout playing the old "throw the hammer with the handle first" tricks to him whereas my Superbird ran steadily like a freight train. I was in a good position to overtake him when we zoomed under the bridge before the back straight but decided to give up as I didn't want to cause a collision.

In this point the tables had turned, he was now the mouse and I was the cat - my car was so much faster that keeping close and making passing attempts was an easy task to accomplish, the only thing preventing me from delivering the final blow was the sheer size of my car, it isn't easy to find a space big enough for one of the biggest cars around. Then I noticed one place in which I could have a chance to make the move: he had distinct trouble after the Corkscrew as the heavy rear end of the Ford tried to steer the car a bit too much and he had to lift off to keep it in control, and despite this he still went a bit wide in the tight right-hander before the pits. I managed to pull alongside him on this lap but unfortunately I was on the outside going into the final corner and thus he caught the lead again.

Now I could see some pretty quick moving in the cockpit of my opponent, his head was turning in all possible directions to see the marauding Superbird haunting him from every imaginable direction. His road tyres were overheating as the GT was sliding way more than before, struggling to find grip in the fast corners. Once again my track spec car did the job elegantly, with no visible trouble anywhere. The suspension was functioning like a Swiss clock, the gearbox shifting precisely, the tyres gripping like a gum in one's hair and on top of all, the magnificent engine kept running smoothly but with terrible effection. I had many chances to overtake him during the lap but I decided to wait until the sweet spot on the last sector. I had put all my eggs in one basket but it was worth it, the nervous driver even made a mistake in the corner, allowing me to outbrake him and cut into the inside line.

He had no chance of catching me, I was now able to unleash all the power of the Superbird with clear cool air for the engine and rear wing. The result was a lap time over five seconds faster than that of my opponent, and I still wasn't attacking the corners with everything I got.

I pulled into the pits after the next lap and began wondering with Richard what had happened to the Ford, it wasn't visible anywhere near nor could we hear the sound of its engine. We got the answer a few minutes later as the GT crawled into the pits very slowly, the driver telling us that the engine had overheated in the heat of the racing. So much for the modern supercars, the old American muscle is still the one and the only V8 hardware!

----------
And good Boxing Day for you all! :cheers:

- R -

Thanks Leonidae, but outside your comment the sequel seems to have become a failure... :( What did I do wrong?

- R -

the sequel seems to have become a failure... :( What did I do wrong?
- R -

Nothing,
And why do you think that, the lack of responses ????

You'll need to get used to that, alas not everyone leaves a comment.
Just check the # of views. Don't let it put you down.
Great report again (I still hate the trolly though) ;)
+ Rep. oops sorry no can do....

AMG.

Nothing,
And why do you think that, the lack of responses ????

You'll need to get used to that, alas not everyone leaves a comment.
Just check the # of views. Don't let it put you down.

Precisely! Well said!

Be honest Greycap, how many other race reports have you read and not posted in recently?

It's something you get used to. There's a handful of folks that spend a lot of time in the race reports forum, I'm in here more than most, and I don't always respond to every post. You'll get accustomed to seeing the same names replying to your reports most of the time!
Anyway, good sequel by the way! Still can't add to your rep though! :grumpy:

You're right guys, the amount of views is the actual gauge of success here... but I hastily drew a conclusion that if many people read it and nobody comments, it's not worth commenting. :guilty: Needless to say that it was the wrong conclusion.

And yes, this seems to be a few people's speciality, just as the Photomode seemed to be a while ago - I always got the comments from the same handful of people. But I really don't let it put me down, I'll try to write one more story before I have to leave again (hopefully only for a week) after the New Year's Day. 👍

- R -

An excellent addition Greycap, can I see this becoming a serial story before long? I hope so, you're really starting to persuade me in favour of big old V8 muscle ;)

Again, the realism is flawless :drool:

DE

Nope, it didn't become a serial story... I turned my attention to a Skyline story.

Those big engines really prove that sometimes there just is no replacement for displacement, they are not the fastest machines around but that's not the point - it's the feeling that counts. :P

- R -

I would say, "What a shame," but then I would be expressing disappointment that you've gone from writing about American muscle to an R32 Skyline - and I can't do that ;)

You're quite right, it is the feeling those cars give that makes them special - but let's move to the car that not only gives you that feeling, but happens to be the fastest machine around as well :P

DE

I loved mission 14. I love the Superbird. I just love it. It's an incredible feeling at Trial Mountain or Laguna Seca, with bumps and twists and everything. Continue this fabulous work, and don't get your hopes up about people not replying as much as you'd think. Even I'm one of those people who will read something, enjoy it, but not reply. Next time if I read something interesting I'll make sure who-ever wrote it knows how good it was. :)

Latest Posts

Back