BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

No matter how it looks, how much it costs or even how it drives, the then-current 3/4-series BMW will always sell like sliced bread. It's pretty much the iPhone of the automotive world - it's bought because it's considered to be cool, and once you've bought one, everyone not sharing the enthusiasm isn't only disagreed with, they're completely ridiculed for thinking that some measly inferior product (read: everything else) could ever be as good. It's probably no coincidence that just about every BMW owner has an iPhone too when you think of it.

I would say that was the case before Tesla came along with their Model 3; no other car brand has a cult following quite like Tesla. Even the design philosophy of Tesla is similar to Apple with a focus on simplicity, monochrome aesthetic and a premium brand image.

BMW isn't that far behind in terms of brand status, but at least most of its fans tend to be car enthusiasts, rather than consumer tech fanatics hopping on the EV bandwagon.

everyone not sharing the enthusiasm isn't only disagreed with, they're completely ridiculed for thinking that some measly inferior product (read: everything else) could ever be as good.

:lol: Clearly you don't visit BMW forums. Rule 1: Slate the **** out of 98% of what BMW do.

I wonder how difficult it is to swap the front end of the 3 series onto the 4 series.

Dunno, but probably not worth the effort...

upload_2020-6-2_22-26-49.png

I'm late to the party but even though I knew it was coming, my god it's more hideous than I could have ever imagined. The worst part is the weird "smile" the giant nostrils on the front give to the bottom-most inlet and now I can't un-see that one part.

If they wanted to do something cool with the grille, the i3 and i8 style was the better path to use. They don't make one single grille now that works with their car's designs.

Losing the Hoffmeister kink is another bust.

Just when I thought that with the new (fwd) 1- and the 7-series kidneys it couldn’t get any worse, BMW just proved me wrong again.

I was hoping that it would’ve stayed at the concept phase.

It’s appalling to look at.

I don't know, man. Very Mustangy with the sloped rear glass. I wasn't much of a fan, initially, when Ford did that with the current gen. Guess it'll be the same.

Just looks like two different cars: a BMW front clip and Mercedes from the middle to the back.

I'd rather see the full beaver teeth grille than have the band-aid...err, number plate across. Maybe a position to the left, where the old Evo plates were mounted.

As usual, I'll be waiting for the GT4 racer.

BMW has gone full-Audi with the Horizontal grille slats.

But as with the 4-Series M Sport, I actually don't hate it. The hood details (can't tell if they are real or fake vents) actually complement the grille pretty nicely.

The grille of the new 4-Series/M4 is so unanimously disliked that I feel like BMW's only option is to rush to correct it, like what happened to the Chevrolet Camaro a year ago. Otherwise, sales are definitely going to plummet.

No they won't. What happened to the Camaro last year was an emergency redesign to fix the emergency redesign it got the year prior because it was already selling poorly.

Cool Grand Am
Yeah, BMW might have to change their slogan to : "We build the ultimate excitement machine.".

Very Robotech like vent/grille. Overall, I'm fine with it. When a numberplate is glued there, it looks worse.

The Ford GT rear has that Angry Birds big snout look. This is more like a wild boar. All seriousness aside, will there be an awd M-Sport version? I'm also curious as to what an Alpina wagon version might look like.

I love it. Just like I love those hideously scary grills of the 1930's BMW that tormented me as a child (not kidding).

It's just so imposing.

PS: I'm not being sarcastic. For real.

All seriousness aside, will there be an awd M-Sport version?

There is an M-Sport trim (in fact there's M-Sport, M-Sport Pro, M-Performance parts and of course the M440i and M440d), and various models come with xDrive, so yes. The full fat M models will also be AWD, though there is the rumour 'base' model that's RWD, and supposedly MT.

I'm also curious as to what an Alpina wagon version might look like

Alpina Wagon version of what, the 4 series? Seems somewhat unlikely to me... there won't be a touring model with this face, and Alpina already launched their B3 Tourer.

The higher trim 4-Series seems to be the best looking one IMO. The whole "minimalist" thing with the base model and the M4 doesn't work at all when you have a giant grill on the front.

Not a fanboy, but I've always liked BMWs overall. But holy moly, how can they mess this thing so bad.. it's disgusting.

First car in the history where adding a license plate in front makes it look better..

Oh no. Look like Charlie Chaplin or Poirot. Yeah, those two are bad.

Edit: Dang. My wife said they must be using these for Cars 4. :rolleyes::lol:
Oh, sorry. "... must be CHARACTERS for Cars 4...".
Just sell the M4.

I think the new 4 series might be the only car where every single press photo (that I can find) is wearing a very conspicuous front plate...for obvious reasons. It's almost like they know it's a complete minger. This is what happens when you let the marketing department acquire too much control over the process.

Also: Hood shut line 👎👎. Just as bad as the previous gen

I think the new 4 series might be the only car where every single press photo (that I can find) is wearing a very conspicuous front plate...for obvious reasons. It's almost like they know it's a complete minger.

or... It's almost like pretty much every press gallery for new BMW's always has the plate on and they've done nothing differently this time!... Spooky.

Back