BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

M4 CSL

1652955737430.jpg
1652955709867.jpg
58880620-774A-4565-9750-0A0B45B943D4.jpeg
E6F7444B-DD15-43A5-B2F3-732BE5CDFF1A.jpeg
D003BF8B-8934-4383-9933-A51F829DC57B.jpeg

I hate that they put stripes that are meant to flow down into the weird hood design or the red outlining the overly large grille. These ridge sections as result of the grille, just bug me every time I see this car.
yuck.jpg

I wish they would just minimize the grille & smooth out the hood to something more traditional.

I feel like it's a better looking 3 series than the last two generations. The E46 is still king (and king of that segment all time, IMO) but the new one looks fine to me. The 4 series is an abomination however, and I still have a fresh and debilitating revulsion every time I see one, particularly in that god awful electric mucus color.
Same here.

7.15,7 (20,6 km) / 7.20,2 (20,8 km)

A bit ouch:
992 GT3: 6.55,2 (20,6 km) / 6.59,2 (20,8 km)
991.2 GT3: 7.12,7 (20,6 km)
991.2 GT3 RS: 6:56,4 (20,6 km)

Not moving goal posts or anything, as those times mean nothing to me. If we’re comparing such times, as far as three box coupes go, the M4 is still faster than a NISMO GT-R. M4 is about 90kgs lighter than the NISMO with similar power figures.

Aren’t the 911s some 200kgs lighter? Has someone added that weight and tried those times again? Just saying.

The Nismo GT-R did a 7.08,7 back in 2014. With 8 year older tire technology, a 15 year old base and more weight (1735 kg) it was also 7 sec faster than the CSL today.

Weight difference between the 991 GT3 and the CSL aren't 200 kg, more in the area of a 100 kg: 1510 kg vs. 1625 kg while the CSL has way more power, especially torque du to the NA engine in the 911: 510 HP / 470Nm vs. 550 hp / 650 Nm.

18 years ago the E46 CSL did 7.50 min. Pretty sure that would be a 7.30 on todays tires and the changes to the track, maybe even faster.

I still say Ouch. Also it doesn't really matter since you just can't buy the CSL with it's 1000 cars limitation. Coming with this limitation i'm sure I won't see many of them during the tourist drives on the Nordschleife while 992 GT3s are already very present this year.

Last edited:
I am whelmed. This car is such a fat hog that if it were on a rotisserie I'd set the table and grab a beer.

Manual and RWD would've been cool but I guess they just wouldn't sell well enough to have so many homologation runs for different specs to justify the costs. With the X-drive nowadays with 100% RWD mode there is a RWD option. It's just heavier than it could be but I guess even with a manual and without AWD it would be in the 1800 kg range.

I really really want one of these. It would be the perfect machine for carrying my mountain bike to trail centers, and that back end. Oh my.

Pretty sure it would be close/impossible without removing the front wheel like in all modern touring versions.
I can fit my current bike in the boot of my M235i with the front wheel removed if I put the seats down. But I prefer the narrative where I get a brand new M3 Touring :lol:

2023-bmw-m3-touring-103-1655842946.jpg

2023-bmw-m3-touring-105-1655842941.jpg

Only available in M3 Comp xDrive form, no manual.

Sorry for you that it won't be available in US again since there are no 3 series Touring available and the homologation for only the M3 would be too expensive with the suggested low sales figures for the Touring. Was explained in a (german) video I just watched.

Last edited:
I've seen 3 of the M4 coupes so far and still can't warm up to the grill. I really don't get it, why do people like styling cues like this?

and no, I'm not buying the excuse of BMW using the grills for extra cooling.

I’m used to that grille already. Seeing plenty of M3s. Current BMW taillights still look out of place though.

I haven't seen it up close in person, but I can't imagine it looking better. I've seen it about twice now, once coming my way and this one driving from behind.

It's one of those things that actually looks worse in person than in pictures.

BMW M4 CSL vs. Porsche 992 GT3 (non-RS) from german Sport Auto. Seems the points scheme saves the CSL in the end. Getting only 1 point more beeing close to 3 seconds faster in Hockenheim or beeing close to 3 KM/H faster in the slalom while receiving the same 20 points just doesn't do justice for the GT3. The GT3 RS could be faster and receiving the same points soon when 25 are the maximum for laptime or 20 for the slalom. Sport Auto does calibrate their points scheme every few years to keep up with the better performance and just be able to differentiate it. Seems like it is time again for this calibration.
*little note. The same 992 GT3 presscar in this test was tested by Sport Auto in the spring of 2021 and already did a 1.45,8 on cooler temperatures in Hockenheim (10°C asphalt and 8°C air)

csl1.JPG
csl2.JPG
csl3.JPG

Last edited:
BMW M4 CSL vs. Porsche 992 GT3 (non-RS) from german Sport Auto. Seems the points scheme saves the CSL in the end. Getting only 1 point more beeing close to 3 seconds faster in Hockenheim or beeing close to 3 KM/H faster in the slalom while receiving the same 20 points just doesn't do justice for the GT3. The GT3 RS could be faster and receiving the same points soon when 25 are the maximum for laptime or 20 for the slalom. Sport Auto does calibrate their points scheme every few years to keep up with the better performance and just be able to differentiate it. Seems like it is time again for this calibration.
*little note. The same 992 GT3 presscar in this test was tested by Sport Auto in the spring of 2021 and already did a 1.45,8 on cooler temperatures in Hockenheim (10°C asphalt and 8°C air)

View attachment 1206377View attachment 1206378View attachment 1206379
This is complete nonsense. The Porsche is the clear winner in every category except price and power-to-weight. It should have at least a 2 point advantage at the end.

I don't agree with these ratings, I would say for the Porsche being nearly 3 seconds faster around Hockenheim than the M4 is enough for at least one more point.

With that said, I would have the Porsche more. The 992 may have frog eyes, but I rather look at the frog eyed car than the pig nose car.

No one can buy a CSL since they were never available to order for normal people. Now slowly you can get the hands on a GT3 depending on your location since people switching to the GT3 RS which is the next one no normal person can get.

This is complete nonsense. The Porsche is the clear winner in every category except price and power-to-weight. It should have at least a 2 point advantage at the end.
Just business as usual for a German magazine, if BMW is losing a comparison they'll either give points that don't reflect the results or come up with an entirely new category that can be used. Years ago I used to read AutoBild and it was the same thing in every test - even against other German brands. If Audi and Mercedes were sweeping the floor with BMW in everything that was measurable, and it wasn't exactly a rare occurrence, some surprise such as "balance of the looks" was utilized with an up to 20% share of the final points, and BMW invariably got ten points while the others got four or five.

No one can buy a CSL since they were never available to order for normal people. Now slowly you can get the hands on a GT3 depending on your location since people switching to the GT3 RS which is the next one no normal person can get.
Because it's a limited edition car w/ only 1,000 units. The GT3 isn't, but the GT3 was also out of reach for "normal people" when it debuted; only VIPs & those willing to pay high ADMs would be willing to get on the initial allocation list dealers had.

Back