BMW M4 GT3 for 2022 GT regulations

• Thread starter TiMcF1
  • 23 comments
United Kingdom
London
Meggido12
92432edc-d417-4a98-9714-596f85d9bf30-orginal-768x461.jpg

2022 sounds like a long way ahead. At the same time I had been anticipating this, but was equally caught by supprise when I saw the news. No specs have been released yet naturally.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-m-motorsport/race-cars/bmw-m4-gt3.html

I've always wanted to see the return of BMW's sporty M3/M4 platform to the higher forms of GT racing, but held back my expectations ever since the sport car reigns were passed down to the M6 GT3 and M8 GTLM.

Like wise I was glad to see the M4 competing in some form of sportscar racing when it was adapted for GT4, in fact I was content. But now there is the future prospect of a new M4 replacing the M6 in GT3, a spot I thought previously was being reserved for the return of the new Z4.

Lets discuss it, what are your thoughts about the M4(which has been around for a while now) eventualy competing in GT3 racing? Were BMW always going to adapt the M4 to GT3, or does this have anything to do with the deterioration of DTM? And, does anyone know some details about 2022 regulations for GT3 that may have influenced this decision by BMW?

Thread has now been moved to correct forum thanks all!

Last edited:
Isn't it better to put this thread in the Motorsport forum?

Your right yes sorry. At first I thought it wouldn't because I was reffering to 1 car in general but the content says other wise.

Is there a method of moving it W/O making a new on in the motorsport forum?

Your right yes sorry. At first I thought it wouldn't because I was reffering to 1 car in general but the content says other wise.

Is there a method of moving it W/O making a new on in the motorsport forum?
Only the staff can move threads. You could contact one or wait until they discover this thread and do it then.

Were BMW always going to adapt the M4 to GT3, or does this have anything to do with the deterioration of DTM? And, does anyone know some details about 2022 regulations for GT3 that may have influenced this decision by BMW?

Thread has now been moved to correct forum thanks all!

Jens Marquardt has said quite a while ago that the M4 will most likely be the next GT3 platform: https://sportscar365.com/industry/marquardt-bmw-very-likely-to-pick-m4-for-next-gt3-car/.

It seems that the M6 is still competitive but given that the car as such doesn't exist as a new car, it's time to change I guess. The GT4 version did quite well in the last few races in GT4 America and IMSA MPC, although it will be switched to the M2 CS soonTM.

Not that BMW would be interested in my opinion but I like the M2/M4 combo as GT4/GT3 cars, similiar to Porsche's execution - while Audi and Mercedes use the same base car and in case of Audi even for the new GT2 regs.

Not that BMW would be interested in my opinion but I like the M2/M4 combo as GT4/GT3 cars, similiar to Porsche's execution - while Audi and Mercedes use the same base car and in case of Audi even for the new GT2 regs.

Yeah it looks like Marquardt shared the same sentiment in that article. I've always prefered that approach myself.
The M2 would be the best choice of a GT4 representative. If not a M2 GT4 replacement they could always consider the Z4 as a GT4 option but thats probably even more farfetched since the new Supra already occupies that spot.

Yeah it looks like Marquardt shared the same sentiment in that article. I've always prefered that approach myself.
The M2 would be the best choice of a GT4 representative. If not a M2 GT4 replacement they could always consider the Z4 as a GT4 option but thats probably even more farfetched since the new Supra already occupies that spot.

I'm not sure whether BMW would give a damn about the Supra being in the same spot - however, it seems that they don't see the G29 Z4 as something truly racy/sporty, they don't even have a proper M version which is just sad.

The M2 CS is already being tested, so once the next homologation cycle comes around, I'm pretty sure we're gonna see the M2 GT4 popping up. By itself I would support the Z4 idea, there were race cars from the E36/8 Z3 Coupe, the E86 Z4 Coupe (even in Super GT as I learned recently) and of course we can't forget the E89 Z4 GT3 and GTE/GTLM versions, either. However, as I said above, I don't think BMW views the current Z4 as a possible base model for a race car.

PS:
Ever since I laid eyes on it on the cover of the German auto motor und sport magazine back in '98, my all-time favorite car has become the E36/8 M Coupe aka Clown Shoe.

To which cars do you refer?

To these for example:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/suffix/photo/BMW/Z3/M Coupe GT.html

http://www.gt-eins.de/Berichte2003/sonstige03/24hRing/IMG_4657.JPG

My most prominent Z3 GT memory is though from the 2000 N24. The German magazine sport auto teamed up partially with BMW to build a Z3 GT - they even assigned Roberto Ravaglia to the car. I haven't found pictures from the actual car, only from a model:

https://www.modellbau-ostheimer.de/...3-adac-24h-rennen-nuerburgring-2000-comp43z3m

To these for example:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/suffix/photo/BMW/Z3/M Coupe GT.html

http://www.gt-eins.de/Berichte2003/sonstige03/24hRing/IMG_4657.JPG

My most prominent Z3 GT memory is though from the 2000 N24. The German magazine sport auto teamed up partially with BMW to build a Z3 GT - they even assigned Roberto Ravaglia to the car. I haven't found pictures from the actual car, only from a model:

https://www.modellbau-ostheimer.de/...3-adac-24h-rennen-nuerburgring-2000-comp43z3m

These were 'privateer' entries though weren't they? E86 and E89 racers were offered from the factory, whereas the E36 Z3 factory racer didn't make it past the development stage AFAIK.

bmw-z3-m-coupe-racer.jpg

These were 'privateer' entries though weren't they? E86 and E89 racers were offered from the factory, whereas the E36 Z3 factory racer didn't make it past the development stage AFAIK.

View attachment 942661

I guess so, although that 2000 N24 entry had a lost of backwind from BMW.

That picture you attached though... Is that your own photo? If yes, where did you take it? I can see some Isettas in the background, some BMW museum? Or THE BMW Museum in Munich? I've been there in 1995, so my memories are a bit rusty and the Z3 Coupe didn't exist at that time. Anyway, that back part is hideous, I'm glad the actual race cars didn't have that ducktail thingy :)

I've yet to see a picture of the front, though, but I can imagine it will be decently competitive.

I do hope so, I'm not a massive BMW fan but they are one of the few manufacturers that brings traditional GT cars to the grid.

That picture you attached though... Is that your own photo? If yes, where did you take it? I can see some Isettas in the background, some BMW museum? Or THE BMW Museum in Munich? I've been there in 1995, so my memories are a bit rusty and the Z3 Coupe didn't exist at that time. Anyway, that back part is hideous, I'm glad the actual race cars didn't have that ducktail thingy

No, the photo isn't mine, sadly. It was taken in the BMW Zentrum at Spartanburg. I've never gotten to the bottom of what it really was, but it carried BMW Motorsport 25 Jahre logos. I've in the past reached out to the Spartanburg museum for more info, and also looked in the BMW Group classic archive, and both avenues came up empty.

Still, it remains the closest thing to a factory racer the first Z3 had as far as I'm aware.

MVC-022X.jpg

No, the photo isn't mine, sadly. It was taken in the BMW Zentrum at Spartanburg. I've never gotten to the bottom of what it really was, but it carried BMW Motorsport 25 Jahre logos. I've in the past reached out to the Spartanburg museum for more info, and also looked in the BMW Group classic archive, and both avenues came up empty.

Still, it remains the closest thing to a factory racer the first Z3 had as far as I'm aware.

View attachment 942834

Very interesting, thank you for sharing it!!!

The BMW VGT in Gran Turismo 6 & GT Sport, looks to be based in the M2. That would definitely suit a GT3 and tuned down a bit, suit a GT4 entry.

I'm liking this M4, even if the front will look like the vents from a Robotech battle jet.

Last edited:
The BMW VGT in Gran Turismo 6 & GT Sport, looks to be based in the M2.

I'm not a Gran Turismo expert in any level but as far as I remember/heard, some or many were negative on the BMW VGT. I personally like it very much, just like the Mercedes VGT - all the others seem to be cut from the same type of model (I may give Porsche a pass but only because I'm partial to the make :) ).

For me BMW has always been a touring car make, I don't care much about there F1 results (but do like the '99 V12 LMR), their racing pedigree has always been in touring cars and sports cars - and the VGT build upon that very heritage, just like the 2 series Coupe. In fact, I can see the same design philosophy used in the VGT including the Hofmeister kink in the 2015 CSL Hommage R.

I admit I'm a BMW/Porsche shill (with some Audi shilling as well, given I'm driving Audis since 2010), plus can't stand SUVs, I'm old school and just love the classic sedan/coupe style cars - and BMW is the embodiment of that for me.

That of course would not explain how the E36/8 is my favorite car ever, I guess exception to the rule :) (plus my favorite Porsche is the 964, especially the Turbo version, also proving that I'm an old fart LOL)

Last edited:
See? C'mon. That would make an awesome DTM machine.

It sure is awesome looking, might need to be remodelled from the ground up to compete in DTM. This replica build of the bmw vgt looks like it uses at least 75% of it's base from the M2(I believe that is the case for the virtual one)

Corect me if I'm wrong though, but like GT500 cars, DTM cars seem to have very little in common with the road cars they're based on and are closer to prototype cars in general.

It sure is awesome looking, might need to be remodelled from the ground up to compete in DTM. This replica build of the bmw vgt looks like it uses at least 75% of it's base from the M2(I believe that is the case for the virtual one)

Corect me if I'm wrong though, but like GT500 cars, DTM cars seem to have very little in common with the road cars they're based on and are closer to prototype cars in general.
Yes. You're right, but it looks like DTM may be defunct or start from scratch or whatever. BMW is the lone remaining German manufacturer. We'll see what happens to the series.

If it were to break away from the current Class 1 regulations, returning to a more production car based series like it originally was, that VGT would be a welcome concept.

it seems that they don't see the G29 Z4 as something truly racy/sporty,

That really is a shame, when they homolgated the Z4 for GT3 racing I thought that was a great image for the Z4 series in general, and could be considered as an alternative to a 2 series or something. Was hoping there would be plans to continue to prolong it's racing heritage

If it were to break away from the current Class 1 regulations, returning to a more production car based series like it originally was, that VGT would be a welcome concept.

Ah, yes indeed it would, I see where your coming from.👍

Back