BMW Z4 (G29)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
2018-bmw-z5-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100543295_h.jpg

2018-bmw-z5-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100543279_h.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1101949_2018-bmw-z5-spy-shots

Based on those images I think I like the Z4 more. We'll see what is revealed with time.

No. No no no no no.

BMW, don't call it a Z5. The entire argument for the explosion of even numbers in your lineup was for the sportier cars (ignoring the 2-minivan for a minute). Call it a Z6. Mercedes has the SL and the GT, you can have the Z6 and 6-series without too much of an issue. But don't call it a Z5.

Really hope Motor Authority is wrong on this one.

I hope it's more of a sports car than the last one. The reviews made that car sound more like a capable cruiser.

No. No no no no no.

BMW, don't call it a Z5. The entire argument for the explosion of even numbers in your lineup was for the sportier cars (ignoring the 2-minivan for a minute). Call it a Z6. Mercedes has the SL and the GT, you can have the Z6 and 6-series without too much of an issue. But don't call it a Z5.

Inb4 "I don't know why so many people expect BMW to have some sort of logical numbering system"...

No. No no no no no.

But the Z cars are not a part of the n-series formula. They're just named in the order they arrive (with the exception of the rare Z8 and lack of Z2)

Why does it have the front/rear overhang ratio of a Fiat Barchetta?

Inb4 "I don't know why so many people expect BMW to have some sort of logical numbering system"...
inb4 "everyone needs to stop having such a narrow-minded attitude about BMW's numbering system"

Bmw did have a logical numbering system until the turbos came.

The Z series is different to the others mainly because they only sell one Z car at a time(apart from the period when the Z3 and the Z8 where sold).

Thing is, the car looks big enough to just call it a Z8 again. There's still some positive feelings on that name left, right?

VXR
They've never had a fully logical naming system. The E36 323i was essentially a detuned 2.5 from the 325i it replaced and the E23 745i was a turbo 3.2.
It was still minor where as now it's basically all off by miles.

Were the BMW Z cars not based on a different platform to the rest of the ranges? If they were, then calling it a Z5 would seem like logical progression, like how the Z4 did when it replaced the Z3.

Were the BMW Z cars not based on a different platform to the rest of the ranges? If they were, then calling it a Z5 would seem like logical progression, like how the Z4 did when it replaced the Z3.
To be fair, there were two generations of Z4's though.

Wild speculation: Could this be based around the base structure of the FT-1? Assuming that BMW and Toyota collaborate more than just with hybrid powertrains..

Wild speculation: Could this be based around the base structure of the FT-1? Assuming that BMW and Toyota collaborate more than just with hybrid powertrains..

The basic platform is being shared with the Supra successor, but the new Z-whatever will not be a direct competitor, unlike the GT86/BRZ/FR-S.

I hope the soft-top roof suggests this is more of a driver's car than a cruiser. With that said, I'm more interested to see how Toyota's variant is shaping up.

It has been announced that BMW and Toyota are partnering up to create a roadster, built by Magna Steyr in Austria. It will be a successor to the slow-selling Z4, and might be called Z5. Little information is known currently about the car, but it will enter production as soon as the Mini Countryman is discontinued, which will be this year.

The only car from Mini that I liked and its being discontinued :indiff:

Latest Posts

Back