BMW Z4 (G29)

The only car from Mini that I liked and its being discontinued :indiff:

It's not being discontinued, as in killed off forever.. in 2017 the R60 countryman will be replaced by the F5x countryman. Its already been announced production is being split between Mini plant Oxford, and VDL Nedcar for the countryman.

The only car from Mini that I liked and its being discontinued :indiff:
Did I just read this correctly: Your favourite MINI is the fat Chinese-copy looking crossover which has surprisingly little interior space if you consider the exterior dimensions?

Did I just read this correctly: Your favourite MINI is the fat Chinese-copy looking crossover which has surprisingly little interior space if you consider the exterior dimensions?

Yes, it is. Its the only one that didn't go through that silly bug-eyed facelift like everything else in the line-up (which I hope isn't the case with the new model) and having sat in it last year (thanks to the Dallas Autoshow), I'm fine with the space it has.

I remember riding in one. It wasn't that bad.

I like the Mini Coupe and [strangely] like the "big Minis" like the Countryman and the Paceman. But that's another story.

I actually loved the Z4. I certainly think the BMW Z4 GT race car is one of the best-looking race cars this decade. But this BMW Z5? No. It isn't ugly, but it's just not that charming for what we know currently. Heck, give me one of the last beautiful BMWs- the Z8 over this Z5. Yeah, it isn't likely I'm going to enjoy this Z5 as much as I have the Z8 and the E43 M3s or the E46 M3s, at least among modern BMWs.

The "Supra successor" will be to the last Supra what the new NSX is to the original. I'm willing to bet on that. It's not going to be an enthusiast's wet dream. Sadly.

I'm worried of that too. In theory the revival of this Supra sounds great! But will probably be priced far out of reach of mere mortals like ourselves. How much was the final generation Supra new?

I'm worried of that too. In theory the revival of this Supra sounds great! But will probably be priced far out of reach of mere mortals like ourselves. How much was the final generation Supra new?

Up to around $50k in the USA I believe.

edit: From mkiv.com

stick[1].jpg

95_turbo_sticker.jpg

edit 2:

In the UK in 1996, a Supra was £41,300, the Mitsubishi 3000GT was £42,000, an AMG C36 was £42,000 an M3 was less at £36,500... an NSX was £68,000

Last edited:
How much was the final generation Supra new?
Only price I've found (didn't look to hard, though) was around DM 110,000 for the fully spec'd t-top turbo. That's about € 56,000 (or US$ 62,000), not considering inflation. That's actually a fair bit pricier than I imagined it to be. Never looked into what Toyota asked for the JZA80 when new until now. A contemporary BMW E36 M3 was actually cheaper than that - granted, those weren't strictly sold fully spec'd, so you gotta take that number with a wee bit of salt, I suppose.

So... Even if they don't move it upmarket due to slapping all sorts of hybrid tech on it or whatever, I'd guess it's going to be more of a US$ 70,000 affair. I fully expect Toyota to do just that, though. You know, get themselves a halo car. Not that I'm opposed to them introducing some sort of GT-R competitor or anything. But, just as you said: Way out of reach for most regular people.

And the next M2 will be powered by a new high-strung and turbocharged boxer twin developed up from the R-series motorcycles.

Just come across this comment but that's a car I want to see, such an awesome motor, it wouldn't even need to be high strung, mild boost would be fine. Small car of course.

BMW is second to none when it comes to disguising prototypes. It is hard to depict any styling features, although it seems like the kidney grille will be huge.

Supra whaaa?

I hope they don't do something like did with the GT-86 and BR-Z.
That is exactly what they're doing, although BMW is making it spider and Toyota is making it a coupe. There's also going to be different engines IIRC.

Most significantly, the Toyota Supra will be a hybrid. There is a chance BMW could produce an iPerformance version of the Z5 using the same mechanical setup as its Japanese sibling.

The production models of the Z5 and Supra should look quite different from each other though.

Is this actually gonna be called the Z5 or are BMW gonna shoehorn it into their regular system?

It looks OK for what we can see, but that doesn't mean much from me as I think the Z3 and Z8 looked better than either Z4.

Most significantly, the Toyota Supra will be a hybrid. There is a chance BMW could produce an iPerformance version of the Z5 using the same mechanical setup as its Japanese sibling.

The production models of the Z5 and Supra should look quite different from each other though.

Really hoping the Supra is just the Z5 chassis and the FT-1 bodywork. If you're gonna make a Supra, don't have it look similar to a BMW convertible... :rolleyes:

Really hoping the Supra is just the Z5 chassis and the FT-1 bodywork. If you're gonna make a Supra, don't have it look similar to a BMW convertible... :rolleyes:

Both cars look nothing alike. Neither do they sound remotely similar.

If you watch the spy videos, then you'll get the impression the Supra will be something completely different.

That is exactly what they're doing, although BMW is making it spider and Toyota is making it a coupe. There's also going to be different engines IIRC.

One thing is that, I hope they don't end up having minor differences. If the chassis, engine is the same OK, but not the design.

243169.jpg

rov400s3_750_500_70.jpg

One thing is that, I hope they don't end up having minor differences. If the chassis, engine is the same OK, but not the design.

243169.jpg

rov400s3_750_500_70.jpg

That is a Rover 400 which was based on the Honda Domani not the Accord. It was the Rover 600 that was based on that generation Accord

Back