Bosley Mark I G/T 1953

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 13 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage releases another classic very rare car, the Bosley Mark I G/T from 1953.
Rare? Yes, very rare because this is a one-off car so only one built.
Wanted in the GT series in the future?
Just start with given at like or two .... enjoy!

2ew2q20.jpg

A horticulturist by trade, Richard Bosley was a sports car enthusiast, who owned an Oldsmobile Rocket 88 and a Jaguar XK120 in 1952, when he was just 21 years old. He dreamt about building a sports car of his own and grew even more determined when he saw Luigi Chinetti arrive at Sebring in a beautiful Vignale bodied Ferrari. Despite having received no formal engineering training, Bosley had to rely on himself for most of the work as his hometown of Formal, Ohio was far away from Detroit or the booming custom car scene in California.

Bosley built a chassis from scratch using four-inch diamater steel tubes. The double-wishbone front-end was derived from a Ford, while most of the components of the rear suspension came off a 1948 Mercury. The young Ohioan had read a detailed description of the rear axle used on the Le Mans-winning Jaguar C-Type and used this as inspiration to make some modifications to the design. These included the addition of triple trailing arms and coil springs instead of the torsion-bar springs originally used. Sizeable drum brakes from another Ford subsidiary, Lincoln, were fitted.

To power his new sports car, Bosley looked beyond the blue oval and instead installed a Chrysler FirePower or HEMI V8. This mammoth of an engine, with its famous hemispherical combustion chambers, tipped the scales at over 900 lbs (408 kg). Equipped with the optional four-carburettor manifold, it produced around 220 bhp. The big HEMI V8 was mated to a Borg Warner four-speed gearbox with overdrive. This was connected through an open prop-shaft to a Halibrand quick-change rear-end. Prepared for long distance runs, Bosley fitted the car with a massive 55 gallon fuel tank.

Bosley really outdid himself with the design and particularly the creation of the fibreglass body. The lines of the dramatic Coupe were inspired to some extent by the Vignale bodied Ferrari, which had been the work of Giovanni Michelotti. Using a male body buck, Bosley carefully laid up sheets of fibreglass to create the body. Even though the technology was still in its infancy and Bosley had received limited guidance from an expert, he achieved a near perfect finish. Many of the trim and the windows were sourced from existing cars. Like the Ferrari that had inspired it, the Bosley Mark I G/T was painted red.

Built in a home garage, the car took several years and a reported investment of over $9,000 to complete. Understandably very proud of his achievement, Bosley looked at the opportunity to race the car and/or to build additional examples for customers. For a variety of reasons neither plan materialised. The car was an oft seen guest in racing paddocks, including at Sebring, as Bosley regularly used the car on the road.

Richard Bosley pursued his dream and the result was a spectacular one-off that has never failed to impress. In period, it was featured in major publications like Road and Track and Hot Rod Magazine but also made waves across the Atlantic in Britain's Motor Magazine. Although not always cherished, it has survived and is today part of the superb collection of the Petersen Museum.

Specifications

Overview
Country of origin: United States
Produced in: 1953
Numbers built: One-Off
Designed by: Richard Bosley

Engine
Configuration: Chrysler FirePower 90º V8
Weight: 410 kilo / 903.9 lbs
Construction: Cast-iron block and head
Displacement: 5,426 cc / 331.1 cu in
Bore: 96.8 mm (3.8 in)
Stroke: 92.1 mm (3.6 in)
Valvetrain: 2 valves / cylinder, OHV
Fuel feed: 6 Stromberg Carburettors
Lubrication: Wet sump
Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain
Body: Fibreglass
Chassis: Steel tubular frame
Front suspension: double wishbones, coil springs, shock absorbers
Rear suspension: live axle, coil springs, twin shock absorbers
Brakes (front/rear) Lincoln drums, 305mm (12 in)
Gearbox: Borg Warner 4 speed Manual
Drive: Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight 1,524 kilo / 3,360 lbs
Length: 4,267 mm (168 in)
Width: N/A
Height: 1,219 mm (48 in)
Wheelbase: 2,591 mm (102 in)
Track front: 1,473 mm (58 in)
Track rear: 1,524 mm (60 in)

Performance figures
Power to weight 0.14 bhp / kg
Power: 220 bhp / 164 KW
BHP/Liter: 41 bhp / liter

dc3jiv.jpg

15dwivt.jpg

2qbgoip.jpg

34pcmfk.jpg

xn70b4.jpg

2a9bt08.jpg

THE OTHER BOSLEY IS HERE

OTHER CLASSIC CARS ARE HERE

Last edited:
............That window line's my favorite bit. It's so silky smooth...I bet this thing purrrrrs when you "turn it on"...:D

Simple and gorgeous lines!
Not trying to make a personal attack or anything like that, but, honestly, It doesn't even seem you vote for what you really like, anything the author of this thread throws on the forum you seem to "like" (and always bump the thread). I'd like to know why... :confused:

You know what's the most predictable thing on this forum? CostasDrifter "liking" and bumping anything StarLight posts.

Edit: Fixed grammar error [I doesn't even...] > [It doesn't even...]

Last edited:
Not trying to make a personal attack or anything like that, but, honestly, I doesn't even seem you vote for what you really like, anything the author of this thread throws on the forum you seem to "like" (and always bump the thread). I'd like to know why... :confused:

You know what's the most predictable thing on this forum? CostasDrifter "liking" and bumping anything StarLight posts.

Hey, why don`t you accuse me, too?
Why does anybody have to explain himself why he/she likes this or that?

Just leave your like (or not), leave your comment (or not) and move on.

I still don`t and won`t ever get this "like war", kids.

Hey, why don`t you accuse me, too?
Why does anybody have to explain himself why he/she likes this or that?

Just leave your like (or not), leave your comment (or not) and move on.

I still don`t and won`t ever get this "like war", kids.
You know you really don't have to butt in, I just wanted to know why he does that, and as I've said in my post: You know what's the most predictable thing on this forum? CostasDrifter "liking" and bumping anything StarLight posts. (and to be honest I can only see your post, Monatsende, as a desperate attempt at white-knighting...)

But you know what too? I also don't really have to butt in too. But I really think it's strange how he likes any car StarLight posts no matter what.

You don't have to reply to my post if you don't want CostasDrifter.

Edit:

If you want to keep discussing with me, PMing me from now on would be more appropriate to not derail this thread.

Last edited:
I have to "butt in" because we`ve been through this discussion before...

I don`t feel the urge to have a personal conversation with you. Why didn`t you send a PM to @CostasDrifter if you REALLY want to know his personal motivation/reasons?

You decided to ask in public. So deal with it. I`m done here. Thanks.

Why didn`t you send a PM to @CostasDrifter if you REALLY want to know his personal motivation/reasons?
Simply because I always forget such a feature exists and I apologise for that.

But one more thing is obvious now; whenever someone questions SLG ways they will always gang up against the said person because they don't have what it takes to do it alone.

I don`t feel the urge to have a personal conversation with you.
Neither I have the urge to have one with you since my first post wasn't directed to you.

I have to "butt in" because we`ve been through this discussion before...
No, we haven't. I have no idea of what's this 'discussion you had before' you are referring to.

574.gif

Last edited:
That's fair enough. You do it almost as much.

So "almost as much" like 70%, 80%, 93.5%? Did you make a list?

Geez, people have problems... :lol:

I do not have to explain myself... I just checked AUP and didn`t find anything about a rule to explain "a like".

Last edited:
Back