Bottom end accel/tach question

Can someone help me? :confused:

I just wondered if anyone knew how to make a car rev faster... I know it sounds stupid, but i tuned an R32 and it's top end rocks, but when sitting on the line or trying to catch up after those annoying random spins, the tach (revmeter) takes ages to move up :banghead: . Then it gradually crawls up to about 4000 before really taking off. It only occurs in stand still gears, so 1 and R.

Any suggestions? Or should i just buy a different car?

Much appreciated

the beauties of turbo lag. when you have a large turbo in there, like a stage 4, its takes longer for it to "spool", thats why it takes so long to to get off the line, but the top end is great. if you want better acceleration, try a smaller turbo, or turn the boost down (you can do that in gt1 cant you? been so long since ive played it) that'll give you better acceleration, but unfortunately your top end will suffer

Ahh, turbo lag...

One of the things I found easiest to do (bear with me, I've got Moderate-Stage GT3 Syndrome) with any slow bottom end revving car was to hold the brake and accelerator at the same time, wait till the needle hit 4 or 5000, then let go of the brake. It's a helluva lot less pain-staking than sitting there for 5 seconds, waiting to see if the tacho feels like moving.

Hope this helps. :)

Perhaps you could also set the gearing further towards top speed? Turbo lag occurs when the engine revs at too high a speed for the turbo to handle, so you may need less acceleration.

You are talking about real-life turbo lag, not [size=+1]GT1[/size] fake turbo lag.

If you look at the torque curves for some turbo mods they stay really low for an absurdly long time. A solution is to spread the gearing as much as possible, so you have a really nice low gear for starting in, but that has its problems too.

To restart the car, apply a brake at the same time as the gas. The hand brake will do if you are using stick for throttle/brake, otherwise apply regular brake and throttle at the same time. That forces the clutch out and lets you build up the revs less slowly.

SandStorm
Ahh, turbo lag...

One of the things I found easiest to do (bear with me, I've got Moderate-Stage GT3 Syndrome) with any slow bottom end revving car was to hold the brake and accelerator at the same time, wait till the needle hit 4 or 5000, then let go of the brake. It's a helluva lot less pain-staking than sitting there for 5 seconds, waiting to see if the tacho feels like moving.

Hope this helps. :)
It burns those rears tires out but it does get you moving a lot quicker than just sitting there waiting. Another way to avoid turbo lag is not to stop on the circuit, even if you are spinning, try to reduce revs and use opposite lock, the car should slow down and then you can re-apply the power. The real trick is to get the car slowing down pointing in the right direction and then away you go.

First play of GT I had an MR2 that I used to do donuts in whilst racing the Sunday Cup Grand Valley race. Always used to win though cause I could power past the field once I got the car under control again, even from the last corner I think!! I used to have a replay of it but it got lost along with a lot of other fun replays that I had.:mad:

Back