Boxer Series Pro

• Thread starter VdrSain
  • 8 comments
Deep Forest II

I hadn’t read anything on this before trying it so I was on my own on this one. I grabbed my Impreza Rally Proto and went to check out the comp. I noticed I would be facing 3 Rufs (RGT, 3400s, and CTR2) and a couple of Sub’s I was not too worried about. My Sub’ had the stage 1 turbo so was sitting at 365 HP. I did a couple of qualifying laps to determine competitiveness and pit strategy. The 1st time around I qualified 2nd or 3rd with I believe a 1’20” or 1’21” lap time and the CTR2 was fastest with a 1’19.xx lap and none of the Rufs seemed to pit until at least lap 8 or 9. This left me less than confident so I skipped out and got the stage 2 turbo which brought me up to like 450 HP, and in hindsight would not have been necessary on this track. When I re-entered the CTR2 was no longer fast at all and the RGT took over top spot (this remained the case for the series, not sure what happened to CRT2 but it always was 3rd) with low 1’20” laps. I qualified on the pole with a 1’19”so off to the main event. Well it’s a nice surprise to be better than you think you will be but it made for a boring race. I had a 5 second lead after the first lap or so and ended up turning a lap in the low 1’17” range. I was running the medium tires that come with the Rally Proto and had to pit on lap 5 (could have gone a couple more but I figured split the diff). The 2nd place RGT pitted on lap 9 and I cruised to a 30 second win. Nothing fancy on the setup, I’m sure my setups are of no help to anyone, I did lower VCD to 25%, dropped it to the ground, and stiffened up the spring rate and sway bars.

Rome

Well I didn’t bother qualifying do to the blowout on DFII and this almost proved to be my undoing. First of all my car would not go straight, it was loose as a goose under power and I get this annoying fish-tail effect that is usually just for a short time during tire warm up. I don’t know what causes it but it is usually short lived (half a lap or so on green tires) but was really bad this time. I could not keep off the walls and it took a couple of laps just to get a small lead that I could not seem to build on. I was forced to pit on lap 5, which put me out in 3rd place about 15” down, though I did have better handling on my second set of tires (not sure if it was just me or if I screwed up my 1st set coming through the pack). Anyway I was not too worried thinking the RGT would pit on lap 8 or 9 again and I was taking a couple or 3 seconds a lap out of him. Well much to my chagrin on lap 9 he did not pit and still had a 4 or 5 second lead. So with “oranging” tires I set out to do the lap of my life thinking “no way I’m gunna catch him” but in next to last corner I see him do this big sliding wall bounce and I actually bumped him on the way by as I slip slided my way through the last corner to a .81” victory. Guess he must have had some pretty bad tires by the last lap, isn’t that just a shame.

Super Speedway

Backed off on the camber settings a little (F=2, R=1) but forget to up the auto setting so I was in the limiter on both straights at about 147 mph. The RGT was all over me for a couple of laps but I was faster on the turns and slower on the straights, but by the 4th or 5th lap I had a 4 or 5 second gap. Now I had to turn my attention to tire wear, as I was already looking kinda orange. I nursed my 1st set to lap 10 (half way mark) with a flaming red right front for the last 2 laps and dark orange everywhere else. I came out in 2nd behind the RGT and was concerned he would not pit again, but he did on the next lap and so I knew it was smooth sailing on home. I nursed the tires to a 13 second victory lapping everyone but the RGT with 5th down 2 and 6th down 3 laps. I think I ran some 35 second laps but I didn’t push too hard on most so to save the tires.

I tried using a RUF for that, but I cannot get it set up properly. I slide all over the place. I exited out, and am going back with my WRX.

I wanted to try the CRT, but can't seem to get it stabilized. Oh well, I enjoy my WRX.

Actually I love the RGT, I didn't have one when I did this series, but won one for it. I have used it in 2 or 3 series since then and its great. I mean lets face it there is Porsche and then there is everyone else.

I have the CTR2 but have not set it up or run it. Interesting enough the RGT has much less Hp and is RR, compared to the CTR2 which is 4wd, and yet in this series the AI RGT was much faster than the CTR2. Oddly though during one of my test qualifying runs the CTR was fastest, I then skipped out and dropped my HP and after that the RGT was always faster.

I gotta agree with halfracedrift
hehe.. you guys can't control the RGT... but when you can.. i telz ya.. its a fantastic car...
When I raced this, it was very interesting, especially in a 350Z. I must admit that it seemed I was over-powered against the comp, but now that I think about it, it boiled down to the gearing. They would take me on the start when I enabled TCS to the max and they would pull away at first. I reset the TCS down to zero and felt pretty confident about the race. I did blow away the competition still but it goes to show that Polyphony never does anything about fine tuning the AI. This should go into another forum but, I think that Polyphony has some homework to do.

Back