Brake problems (DFP)

• Thread starter Jpec07
  • 24 comments
Forgotten Wing
Forgive me, but I searched without finding what I needed to know. The problem is this: in Gran Turismo 4, as soon as the game gives me control (whether by a running start or a stationary start), the brakes on whatever car I'm driving are automatically floored (meaning the little red bar next to the speedometer immediately fully fills up). It's a strange problem, because it only happens when my foot's not on the brake pedal of my DFP. Using the DFP's brake pedal's pressure-sensitivity, I can actually get the bar to go down, but not all the way like I want it to. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, how do I fix it (or, could you point me to a thread that has the information I need)? So to sum up, when there's no input signal from the DFP or the DS2 controller, the game thinks that the brakes are fully pressed. Thanks for your help in advance, and sorry again if this is a repost of an old problem.

opendriver19a
I think this is what you are looking for
No it isn't. That thread is about brakes. Jspec's problem seems to be his pedals.

You may have to take your pedals apart just to check the cables and to check the potentiometers are in the right place. I have to do that every now and then with mine.

Backwards edit:
Scaff
(but do have a read of the GT4 & Brakes thread - full of good stuff)
I don't know. The guy that wrote it doesn't know what he's talking about! :dopey:

Nah sounds like a problem with the actual DFP (or the conection) the Steering wheel forum would be the best place to ask in, lots of smart buggers who will be able to help with this.

I will move the thread for you, someone over there should be able to sort you out.

Regards

Scaff

(but do have a read of the GT4 & Brakes thread - full of good stuff)

My best suggestion would be to take it back to wherever you got it and exchange it for a new one with your receipt, that way you know it'll work ok.

hi,

the built quality of the DFPs pedals just plain sucks. you could exchange it for a new one every few months, because the problems usually come again.
there are a variety of more or less well working solutions, though.

the problem with the pedals is that the potentiometers aren't really firmly put in place and have to deal with a lot of pressure from the pedals themselves.
so they move around a bit, self-calibrate all the time and thus get spikey and loose their full range.

one of the easiest solutions: just plug the pedals off from the wheel and back in and then go through their whole range a couple of times. this will help most people, only for a short time though (could be a matter of days or hours.)

then, you could just open up the pedals, frown at the stupid pots and put it back together. i'm not kidding, thats what i did once and all my pedal problems where cured for a few months again.
alternatively while they are open, you can do some maintainence that is often advised like cleaning the pots or applying the famous tape-mod.
you might find some additional info in this thread.

however, i have just found my own solution to all the pedal woes, by installing the logitech pots together with the cables into a spare set of microsoft sidewinder pedals, which are very sturdy (and very cheap these days.)
i find this solution a lot more convenient than other mods. i just posted my solution a few days ago here.

Wow, thanks guys - especially vlad. I'll have to pick up a Sidewinder and run that mod (I do agree that the springs in the DFP's pedals aren't all that great, so the Sidewinder will probably work best). Thanks for all the help, again. :)

(P.S. What are "pots" - or will that become blatantly apparent when I open up my pedals?)

Potentiometers. Little cylindrical things with wires going into them that measure how far the pedals have been depressed.

Jpec07
Wow, thanks guys - especially vlad. I'll have to pick up a Sidewinder and run that mod (I do agree that the springs in the DFP's pedals aren't all that great, so the Sidewinder will probably work best). Thanks for all the help, again. :)

(P.S. What are "pots" - or will that become blatantly apparent when I open up my pedals?)
you do have to make sure that you have got a revision B version of the pedals, they use different pots than the rev. A. the rev As will most probably not fit.
i think somewhere on the handbook/warranty card is a serial number that should include rev.B if they are.

just buy one and invest an extra 10 bucks or so in some sidewinder pedals. :D

and those problems are common with all the cheap consumer wheels...

you could of course wait for the new g25, due this fall. that will be 300$ however. ;)

hi Jpec07, i have had the same prob 3 times and it was the "pot" at the end of the pedal shaft moving everytime. i have tried different sugestions for a fix but they dont last. look for my thread "Ultimate Brake Pedal Fix" from a few weeks ago. you can fix it once and for all. let me know if you have a question.

Aus Rotten
hi Jpec07, i have had the same prob 3 times and it was the "pot" at the end of the pedal shaft moving everytime. i have tried different sugestions for a fix but they dont last. look for my thread "Ultimate Brake Pedal Fix" from a few weeks ago. you can fix it once and for all. let me know if you have a question.
were your pots round or square?
because you say "plastic part of the pots" in that thread...if they are indeed plastic, i would phone logitech and ask for a replacement because the square plastic pots were the rev.A version. they suck even more than the round metal rev.B ones...

wow, i didnt know there was a change in the pots. the ones i have are square. my fix worked fine but i will look into calling logitec. i have had my wheel for over a year, isnt it to late?

the logitech pedals are **** they kept on only giving me about 80 pecent acceloration and it was pissing me off so i opened it up and could not put ip back together... can someone help me find a skematic (sp?) for the pedels or show me a piture of what the innternams should look like... help would be much appreateated:) :nervous:

First look at the lid that you took off from over the pedals. Notice how there are 2 ends that are slightly different length. The shorter end has a small, recantgular-shaped piece that juts out a little bit from the rest of that end of the lid. Now look at the pedal set. You see where the wire comes in from? You need to line up that rectangular-shaped piece over that opening where the wire comes in and pull the lid down over the pedal set. You may have to re-adjust the position a few times, but you should get it. Press down firmly on the lid and keep it in place while you screw back in the screws. Job done.

You know what's funny? I bought my DFP refurbished from Logitech.. meaning they'd already fixed the problem. And it was only half-price because it was used.

Methinks I came out of that deal far ahead of the folks who bought theirs new for $150.

It's so funny how many people have this problem........I bought my DFP back in April 2004 and I've NEVER had this problem.....I also have little ball ends on my pots that attach to the pedal box. And my pots are square and plastic with a wire on one end and a ball on the other.

P/N: 863212-0000
S/N: YED3303946

I wrote this way back in the days.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43686

I got mine on 15 december 2003, and after this fix didn't have any more problems - until last month, that is, as the base was full of cat hairs. :D

I'm starting to get the double shifting problem now though. But Werner posted a fix for that, so no real problem there, and besides, I bought a second wheel as I now live in two different places and wanted a second wheel anyway, and got it for 50 euros :D (lucky, I think it was wrongly priced in the shop's computer).

vladimir
just buy one and invest an extra 10 bucks or so in some sidewinder pedals. :D

I took that advice one step futher and just invested in new pedals altogether! :D

Pricey I know, but I've never yet had any problems with em'....and don't doubt I ever will!

Jedi2016
You know what's funny? I bought my DFP refurbished from Logitech.. meaning they'd already fixed the problem. And it was only half-price because it was used.

Methinks I came out of that deal far ahead of the folks who bought theirs new for $150.

I too bought my DFP refurbished. It was from some site a long time ago, I can't remember the name. They had a real good deal of $55 for it refurbished, and when I saw that I had to scoop it up. I was a good samaritan and spread the word around, but a few weeks later when I went to check back on the site to see if they still had the deal, they had pulled it off the shelves. I'm pissed that the pedals are built the way they are and I only paid $55 for it, just imagine how pissed I would be if I had paid full price :mad:

Yeah, I wasn't in time to get that particular deal, but I did find it elsewhere for about $75.

I'm fairly certain that's what they fixed in mine (during the refurbishment), because I've had zero problems with it since I bought it.

I'm suffering from the same brake issues with my DFP, I'm glad I found this thread.

Back