Bram Turismo's photo album

Bram Turismo

Go Flying Lizards!
Premium
Belgium
Belgium
bramturismo
This will be my photo gallery from now on, since the changes qua threads.

The camera I'm using is a Canon G9, feel free to place your comments and tips here :cheers:

Last edited:
Eating cake at Grandma's in Belgium

img0239pm0.jpg

Family trip to Belgium, favourit photos

Been a long time since I've shot something, got around to pick out my favourits from my trip to Belgium though 👍

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Anyone up for a wide-angle cappucino? :lol:

IMG_0379.jpg

Well, a tour outside with the G9 today for me :D I'm having difficulties though, I've been looking through some basic photography rules but meh... Anyway, LCD screens are a PITA to work with outside, when inside, images look totally different. Also, I really need a basic course how to work and compare ISO, aperture and shutter speed... Here goes:

Bilde004.jpg

F/2,8 @ 1/125", ISO-80

Bilde005.jpg

F/2,8 @ 1/200", ISO-80

Bilde010.jpg

F/2,8 @ 1/125", ISO-80

Bilde011.jpg

F/3,5 @ 1/125", ISO-80

Bilde014.jpg

F/3,2 @ 1/125, ISO-80

Bilde022.jpg

F/2,8 @ 1/320", ISO-200

Bilde025.jpg

F/2,8 @ 1/320", ISO-200

And my favourit image of the day...

Bilde028.jpg

F/4 @ 1/200", ISO-200

Hints and tips more than appreciated :cheers:

The background in the cake shot looks over exposed or something, I just noticed after I stared for awhile. Looks pretty cool with all the colors otherwise. I like the first coffee shot, nice angle and focal point.

The background in the cake shot looks over exposed or something, I just noticed after I stared for awhile. Looks pretty cool with all the colors otherwise. I like the first coffee shot, nice angle and focal point.

Thanks for stopping by Loon, long time no talk :)

It's over-saturated, but that was to bring out the cherry colours :) The over-exposuring was due to the sun shining on the fridge, but I didn't notice it untill I got home with my photos :)

Thanks for the comments though Loon :cheers:

I really need a basic course how to work and compare ISO, aperture and shutter speed

shutter speed is how long the exposure runs, the longer it is the more light comes in so of course dark ones could be in the seconds while shots of the sky might need to be 1/3200
iso is sensitivity, best kept as low as possible. the higher the number the grainier it gets but it does mean darker shots can be taken at faster shutters.
as for aperture, the smaller the stop the more depth of field can be in focus, higher numbers reduce the distance of focus

hope that helps :)
some great shots your composition is very good

Thanks a bunch for the advice 👍

I've been reading through the "rule of three" or whatever it was called, but it's hard to make an everyday object interesting...

Stunning shots, Norway looks like a really interesting and beautiful country!

Some new shots, these are from the last time I was in the woods. I did not include all of them, only the ones I liked :)

bilde039tt4.jpg

bilde042ns6.jpg

bilde046vg9.jpg

bilde047ho4.jpg

I took these today upstairs in our barn. Some of the parts are over a 100 years old, but the shots I took of them really weren't any good unfortunately...

bilde058ba3.jpg

bilde069hg2.jpg

And my favourite of the day...

bilde060pv0.jpg

👍​

Bram Turismo I wonder when you will be posting any shots up of real life cars.

Fender Stratocaster

Here some shots of my new Fender Stratocaster. Still shooting with the G9 as the D80 is planned for later, still though the price was a bit too high (the Fender was 3 times less expensive, so the choice was easy, music>cameras). I don't have no equipment to shoot in bad lightning, so I just placed paper underneath, and a lamp besides it. The ISO went high, as high as 400 I believe, so there's part of noise in the shots. Compoition was incredibly hard to get right, when I find a more suitable place to take shots of it, expect them 👍

fenderstratocaster001xw9.jpg

fenderstratocaster003ne5.jpg

fenderstratocaster005wy0.jpg

fenderstratocaster006xl3.jpg

fenderstratocaster007ha1.jpg

👍

Congrats on the holiest of purchases.... nice shots of it too... the first two shots of it are cool.

Beatiful photos, gotta love the Norweigan landscape! Those snow pictures are nice as well. Looks pretty much like over here at the moment. ;)

nice photos. I like the road photos and cappuchino photo :) I was thinking of taking my p&s out in a couple of weeks after finals and see what what i can shoot. bahh... i need to study >_<

Good shots Bram of something which is generally hard to take photos of without someone playing it! I have to agree its hard to find decent angles of guitars, I still can't find any particulalrly amazing ones of my SG, even though I love the shape of it. Oh well, I suppose some hobbies just aren't meant to combine. :P

Installed Photomatix today. I imported some shots with which I adjusted the exposure to three different settings in Photoshop. Reason for this is that these shots were taken in July without even knowing they were going to be an HDR shot. Anyway, these are my fist HDR shots. There is a lot of noise in the image with the lake, don't know were it came from. Any tips greatly appreciated 👍

treehdrom8.jpg

bilde080hdrot3.jpg

bilde105hdrce0.jpg

UPDATE

I really, really need to learn how to control the tonal balance between shadows and highlights when taking pictures. Whenever editting them in CS2, the exposure gets too high without the shadows being strong enough. Also, there seems to appear a red line when on the higher ISO settings, damnit! Luckely it's just the setting, and not the lens itself... Too bad Yoda got out of focus, the image had some potential but the camera focused on the grass when I told it to focus on the cat :grumpy: Witse seems to do a much better job on playing cat model :lol: However, I do have explored a neat feature in Photoshop that allows me to reduce the highlights, but increase the shadows at the same time. My personal favourit is my brother in our boat.

bram001.jpg

bram003.jpg

bram004.jpg

bram006.jpg

bram010.jpg

bram012.jpg

bram014.jpg

bram020.jpg

bram022.jpg

bram024.jpg

bram027.jpg

bram032.jpg

bram033.jpg

bram038.jpg

bram039.jpg

bram041.jpg

bram042.jpg

Is that line a known issue for the G9? I attempted a search and found out about some banding issues. Although, as I understand, banding is something completely different. Does shooting RAW+JPEG reveal this line in both images?

Anyway, my favorite from the recent bunch is the boat photo as well. Luckily, that line didn't appear in that shot. Also, I think the HDR shots are a little overdone, but it's good experimentation. Did you adjust exposure in the RAW image or JPEG? The latter is probably the reason for the nasty sky. Of course, it's important to mention that I haven't tried combining exposures myself so my tips may not be accurate...

Keep up the good work. It's good to see other members shooting with compacts and not those scary SLRs ;)

Thanks man! 👍

I've been using high ISO settings for a longer time now, but I've never noticed the red line before. I also don't know if I'm shooting JPEG or RAW. I need to find the manual to see how I can choose between both. But thanks for the comments 👍

Still wanting to make the change to a DSLR. The G9 is a great camera, but I never seem to able to take such sharp images with great natural toning and lighting like the DSLRs do. I really need more practice on tones and exposures. I might try and go out on an overcast day and not when the sun is out burning everyday away in the middle of noon :P

If you want sharper photos, pay close attention to aperture and shutter speed and remember to use image stabilization when shooting handheld. I noticed that some of your landscapes were shot wide open (f2.8) and one of the stream shots had the aperture stopped all the way down to f8. The images will not be as sharp as it would be at the f4-f5.6 range. An ideal situation would be shooting at f4.5 with a fast shutter speed (1/40s to 1/200s depending on your zoom angle) and ISO80 or ISO100. I noticed that you shoot a lot in daylight, so this might not be a problem.

If you want most of the landscape in focus, set the aperture to f4 or f5.6 and depending on how much you've zoomed, set the manual focus to its hyperfocal distance. For example, if you're at 1x zoom, then focus at about 8 feet with f4 or a little over 5 feet with f5.6. Using automatic focus may produce the same results.

If you want them even sharper, use Photoshop's unsharp mask (though do some research on the various methods; some produce better results than others). If you're doing heavy editing, then definitely shoot RAW.

I hope that helps and if anyone sees anything wrong with the info then please do correct me. I'm trying to learn these techniques myself.

:cheers:

I had a bit of a dig around for you on the red line issue on the canon forums. It doesn't seem to be a common problem with the G9 so possibly you are just the unlucky owner of one that is a little off. It would defiently be the sensor that is an issue here, you probably need it replaced.

The only thing I really found on the net was this same problem occuring to someone with a D70 here.

A B&W set this time. I've always loved B&W so much, yet I've never done a whole set in B&W. I tried it today, it was more point and shoot rather than plans I had in mind for today :) Favourit out of the bunch is the very last shot 👍

bram084.jpg

bram085.jpg

bram086.jpg

bram089.jpg

bram093.jpg

bram095.jpg

bram098.jpg

bram102.jpg

bram107.jpg

bram109.jpg

Wow Bram, I'm suprised I've not commented on your last two updates sooner. I really dig your PP and you have really nice composition skills. 👍 I can't wait to see more lovely photographs from your lovely country this summer.

Some Fantastic shot here mate. When i shoot in black and white with my D80, i never use the in camera option to shoot in black and white, i shoot in NEF (Nikon's RAW System)and then take the photo into photoshop and fiddle with the layers till i get a black and white picture. Then i select a tool (cant remember which off the top of my head) and i can erase parts of the black and white layer, which the end result results in the picture being in black and white and certain parts ive selected in colour, looks really effective :)

Great shots here though :)

Thanks guys! 👍

Today I finally found out how to shoot in RAW with the G9, so I might give it a go at a new location later this week. I also want to get a hold on Adobe Lightroom to see if it gives any benefits over Photoshop when editting them 👍

Back