Bram Turismo's Toyota GT86

@SVX As much as I love RPF1s, they are expensive. They are nearly double the price for an entire set compared to JR wheels...

It is for a reason though. Quality on wheels is just what I'd save up the difference for, because at the end of the day it's one of the most vital safety components of your car.

I've always found the RPF1 to be cheap wheel for price but very light and good quality. Being a forged wheel it's going to be better than a cast wheel. They look good but for me I see them on everything so I'd not buy them myself.

Maybe a set of WORK Meisters SP 3P would look nice but far outside your budget. 2,500 GBP for a set of 18x8 in standard silver.
I don't really like 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6. 5 looks good in contrast but only due to the white on blue.

Maybe some Advan RS, RSII, RS-D, RZ, RCIII or TCIII. Maybe RGIII :D RGII look good too.

Second option, just make sure they're concave and not flat face.

Will look much better concave =).

Edit: I also recommend not going black. I would say silver.

Last edited:
SVX
It is for a reason though. Quality on wheels is just what I'd save up the difference for, because at the end of the day it's one of the most vital safety components of your car.

I agree with this. With wheels, you get what you pay for. And to be honest, I don't want something like this:

192be3bsloeoyjpg.jpg

Unless you hit a kerb hard, I don't see why that would ever happen. That image would rather look like a person who drove into something, and then tried to blame the accident on a "bad" set of wheels.

I mean, I agree with "you get what you pay for". But I also believe in paying premium prices just because of the brand name and popularity. $500 per rim is rather expensive, and then you don't even have any rubber on them... I even found rims that cost $1200 a pop!

I agree with what you guys are saying, but in the end I've ran two winters on my winter rims that are $75 per rim, and they barely have a scratch on them.

I found some other candidates as well:

OZ Ultraleggera

17116379787_11b13e304b_o.jpg

Sparco Assetto Gara

8166428468_5673a2bf21_o.jpg

No Enkei wheels to be found unless I import them or buy them secondhand.

Those are a far better choice. Very reputable companies with original designs. Plenty of strength and lightness.

Unless you hit a kerb hard, I don't see why that would ever happen. That image would rather look like a person who drove into something, and then tried to blame the accident on a "bad" set of wheels.

I mean, I agree with "you get what you pay for". But I also believe in paying premium prices just because of the brand name and popularity. $500 per rim is rather expensive, and then you don't even have any rubber on them... I even found rims that cost $1200 a pop!

I agree with what you guys are saying, but in the end I've ran two winters on my winter rims that are $75 per rim, and they barely have a scratch on them.

You're not really paying for the brand though, you're paying for the quality, research and development. Enkeis, Rays, Work, etc. all have their original designs that have been crafted through decades of research and development, motorsports use and stress testing. Japan Racing and similar brands simply don't have that level of history behind them. At the end of the day, do you really want to put your safety in the hands of a company who couldn't even design their own wheel?

The popular motto is that real wheels bend, fake wheels shatter, eg:

DSC03802.jpg

vs. the Rota picture @Katiegan uploaded above. I understand that you want to save money and see the extra cost as a negligible improvement, but at the end of the day there is a reason for it - and thanks to this reason your investment is still worth something if you ever get bored of your wheels, because there's always a market for real wheels. There are dozens and dozens of reps out there, and that just makes them even harder to sell as they're so cheap to buy new.

Just my 2 cents regardless.

OZ and Sparco would look great.

As for wheels bending or cracking. I believe that is a cast vs forged property somewhat.

My Advan RG-Ds are cast in a high pressure nitrogen environment then the rear of the barrel is flow formed. So it's a semi forged wheel. The inside barrel will bend but the face will most likely crack.

SVX
The popular motto is that real wheels bend, fake wheels shatter

With wheels, you get what you pay for.

368517823.jpg

25670d1088227726-ssr-crackage-broken_ssr_02.jpg

^ SSR

286139d1501354095-those-running-xxr-s-becareful-75c798f8.jpg

It can happen to anything. We don't know the story behind most of the broken cheap wheels that get pushed around the internet while people willingly forget when an expensive wheel breaks. Drifting sideways into a curb will do it. I seriously doubt any of those breakages happened over something as everyday as a pothole.

Car's looking gorgeous, though, Bram! White's the best color on these, I think. Can't help you with wheel choice, though. Too many styles out there, and everyone's got different tastes.

Nothing's wrong with getting cheap wheels man. My first set of wheels were similar to those Japan racing wheels, paid 450 dollars. Had them for 2 years daily driving and they held up fine. Sold them to a friend with an Honda Accord (universal wheel pattern) and hes still driving with them.

368517823.jpg

25670d1088227726-ssr-crackage-broken_ssr_02.jpg

^ SSR

286139d1501354095-those-running-xxr-s-becareful-75c798f8.jpg

It can happen to anything. We don't know the story behind most of the broken cheap wheels that get pushed around the internet while people willingly forget when an expensive wheel breaks. Drifting sideways into a curb will do it. I seriously doubt any of those breakages happened over something as everyday as a pothole.

Car's looking gorgeous, though, Bram! White's the best color on these, I think. Can't help you with wheel choice, though. Too many styles out there, and everyone's got different tastes.

Exactly, the guy had to be driving like an major idiot for those wheels to break like that. I go to plenty of Drifting events with people driving with cheap wheels and when they crash it's nothing like that.

I have even seen a couple of drifters break their Work Cr Kai's. Obviously the more expensive the better.

but not everyone has 2000 - 3000 dollars to get TE37's and anything less than that second hand, expect the wheel specs to be god awful.

I still say the Japan Racing wheels, silver tho, wouldn't recommend black.

Yeah, I hear Rotas, for example, are extremely common sights at track days. Apparently they hold up to hard driving just fine. As far as build quality goes, I wouldn't be nervous going with a reputable brand like Rota or XXR. I'm just one of those types that's bothered by "fake wheels" - if they were on my car, I'd know they were trying to pass as something they're not, and it would constantly nag at me. I say that after having just bought a replica header, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but still.

Speaking of Rota... their Slipstream has always been the first wheel that comes to mind when I see that brand's name. It's a replica of the Desmond Regamaster Evo/Spoon SW388. How do you feel about this look, Bram?

scion-frs-white-desmond-regamaster-evo.jpg

c42b4b9ead52a561939f4bffc12cb2ae--mod-list-scion-frs.jpg

I ran Team Dynamics wheels on my Focus and Volvo, never had an issue with them and they were great. I had 18" Pro Race 1.2. I was pretty limited though since the Focus and most Volvo cars use a weird 5 x 108 bolt pattern and there's just not a ton of wheels out there.

productlarge_2285_600.jpg

Anything made my OZ is probably going to be fine though. I think the European testing system is TUV (maybe?) and if it has that designation they'll at least be as strong as OEM.

@CyborgGT I think that is a great look! I think I want to stay on 17" since I already think this car needs more power. But the wheels look great. For some reason I am a sucker for rims with many spokes. Which is why I like the look of the JR10 wheels so much.

CCW classics or TE37 are my dream wheels, but way too expensive.

In the meantime I will be looking at getting my cabin lighting and rear drive light replaced so that the car's lighting matches the white LED license plate lighting better.

Asides from cheap and fake wheels being weaker and manufactured to a lesser standard (for one of the most vital safety parts, at that), I could never sleep well knowing I'm giving some outfit company money for the work and R&D that another manufacture has done.

But that's just my 2c.

I took my car back to the garage yesterday. Since its service two weeks ago, the car makes a strange noise whenever the steering wheel is at full lock, and I'm leaving from a standstill. It's not a rattle or squeek, it's a very strange noise. The fact that it makes the noise when the wheels are at full lock, and the car starts to move from a standstill, makes me think that's it's something related to the differential.

Either way something's up, because it did not make this sound before the service. At first I thought it was something that needed to be "broken in", but the sound is still there after two weeks... The mechanics had no idea what it could be, but they will further investigate it, and contact me should I need to bring the car in.

What do you guys think about this look?

IMG_6871-600x400.jpg

This look was kinda what I was aiming at. If I go with less and larger spokes, I think black rims would look better:

1b47dbc72107f0d41bdd52f0c4cbd20e.jpg

I think both options look great to be honest. Although I reckon the lip would look better in black.

Does the sound come from the front or back of the car?

I like the design of the second wheels but not the colour.

It's all about what you want for the car.
100%. Get wheels you like, not what the interwebs likes*. My only ideai to offset sizes from and rear slightly if you can, without upsetting handling. Looks so much better on a RWD car.

*Otherwise you'll end up with these:
OTMSEah.jpg

Last edited:
22050166_1759158757449657_5296981564144703845_n.jpg

Guess where I've been today! :D

A buddy and I went to the 'Ring with our GT's with the idea of just watching supercars all day. In the end we decided to grow a pair, and do a lap ourselves!

I went first at 4pm. Bear in mind, I've never driven a single lap of the 'Ring myself in real life. I pretty much got bombed with BMW M's, GT-R, and 911 GT3's left and right from the get go. I tried to just use my experience of the lay-out from Gran Turismo to get around the track. Of course you cannot compare a game to real life, but I did know where to be extra careful, and the general flow didn't feel unfamiliar. The carrousel was awesome, I just dove in the bowl and let my car have at it. In real life, the corners seem to be thrown faster at you, and even though the track is so wide, the corners feel sharper as well.

The lack of power in this car becomes so apparant at a track, especially with such variety and elevation changes at the 'Ring. But I enjoyed it none the less. I feel tyres limit this car much more than its lack of power, which was proven to me after my buddy did his lap.

My buddy fitted Toyo R888R semi-slicks to his GT86, and the difference in the grip is just tremendous. When he went out at 6pm, the majority of supercars had already left, and we were in a mix of Leon Cupras, the older M3s, and some Golfs. We passed an RS3, and the Audi had no chance of keeping up. It's ridiculous how good the GT86 behaves on semi-slicks. There were corners in which I would've crashed at the speed we were going, but those Toyo's held on with everything they had to give.

Without a doubt I'm returning to the 'Ring, but yet again I'm just utterly amazed how good this car corners against faster, and much more expensive sportscars. Despite the lack of power, and the horrible Michelin Primacy tyres, this car keeps surprising me.

22050166_1759158757449657_5296981564144703845_n.jpg

Guess where I've been today! :D

A buddy and I went to the 'Ring with our GT's with the idea of just watching supercars all day. In the end we decided to grow a pair, and do a lap ourselves!

I went first at 4pm. Bear in mind, I've never driven a single lap of the 'Ring myself in real life. I pretty much got bombed with BMW M's, GT-R, and 911 GT3's left and right from the get go. I tried to just use my experience of the lay-out from Gran Turismo to get around the track. Of course you cannot compare a game to real life, but I did know where to be extra careful, and the general flow didn't feel unfamiliar. The carrousel was awesome, I just dove in the bowl and let my car have at it. In real life, the corners seem to be thrown faster at you, and even though the track is so wide, the corners feel sharper as well.

The lack of power in this car becomes so apparant at a track, especially with such variety and elevation changes at the 'Ring. But I enjoyed it none the less. I feel tyres limit this car much more than its lack of power, which was proven to me after my buddy did his lap.

My buddy fitted Toyo R888R semi-slicks to his GT86, and the difference in the grip is just tremendous. When he went out at 6pm, the majority of supercars had already left, and we were in a mix of Leon Cupras, the older M3s, and some Golfs. We passed an RS3, and the Audi had no chance of keeping up. It's ridiculous how good the GT86 behaves on semi-slicks. There were corners in which I would've crashed at the speed we were going, but those Toyo's held on with everything they had to give.

Without a doubt I'm returning to the 'Ring, but yet again I'm just utterly amazed how good this car corners against faster, and much more expensive sportscars. Despite the lack of power, and the horrible Michelin Primacy tyres, this car keeps surprising me.
You guys over there are so lucky you can do that.. so jealous lol

Little update on the differential noise: It is gone. Turns out they filled LT75W85 oil instead of the LX75W85 that is needed for LSD differentials. The noise is completely gone. Baffling how an official Toyota garage manages to fill the incorrect oil in a differential!

I may or may not have 1 more opportunity to visit the Nordschleife before I have to fit my winter tyres.

As far as the wheels go, I've decided to dash out the extra cash on a set I really want. I've pretty much settled on the Enkei RS05RR set:

182524-1-2016-brz-subaru-coilovers-enkei-rs05rr-gunmetal-nearly-flush.jpg

Won't be for this year, though. Will have to see how things go financially with the new company. In theory I should be making more money than I do now. In theory.

That being said, if my new job goes well, I'll probably only bring the GT86 out in spring/summer, and drive it for trackdays. Will have to see how things develop in the forthcoming 6 months.

That's going to look awesome!!! Good choice. In that colour?

What wheel and tyre specs will you go with? I don't know much about GT86 wheel/tyre fitment but I do like numbers. :lol:

Yeah in that colour. As much as I like light coloured rims, I think a dark colour is going to look better on the white colour of the car.
I've also asked price for the NT03+M wheel. Apparently the RS05RR is at the top of the Enkei range...

I think it looks dead on perfect in that image, but I think those are 245s. I was looking at Federal 235 semi-slicks, but I was so impressed over those Toyo R888R semis my buddy had on his GT86. He has 225 tyres, but the grip is insane compared to the stock Michelin Primacy tyres.

I've received prices for an Enkei RS05RR set, as well as for the NT03+M set. The NT03 is a whopping $1100 cheaper :nervous:

Mind you, it's not a bad looking set either!

aa76eed087ff2091158b86f54998575a.jpg

I like the grey will look nice. I don't like black wheels myself as you can't see the design but this will fit your car well.

The NT03 could look nice. I've always been a bit confused to whether I like or dislike the secondary ring in the middle of the spokes. Much harder to see in the darker colour though.
Either would look good. If you are dropping this much money it's best to do it right first time.

It's been a while since I last updated this topic. In the meantime I've a new job, and received a company car, a Ford Focus wagon.
It's a great car, it rides very comfortably, it's quiet, and it's got many options. Maybe it rides too soft, as it doesn't seem to like cornering, and the steering is pretty much dead. But as a cruiser, it's a good car. The only unfortunate thing is that even though it has so many options, it has probably the worst seats I've sat in yet. There is no support, and the rear seats are far too upright. After an hours or two you've pretty much had it. With all these options present, it really should've had far better seats.

The surprise to me is that the interior fits this car quite nicely, but the Focus RS has the exact same interior. And for a 300+hp car, it really is a disappointing interior. Oh, and the design and lay-out of the info-tainment system is absolutely dreadful. On the upside the voice control works better that I had first anticipated.

Anyway, I used it to travel to Norway for Christmas. The only complaint about the car I have are the seats. For a long journey they just are downright uncomfortable. Everything else about this car is great. I did 200km/h with 4 passengers, and a boot full of stuff. So it has some life in it, and definitely a sea of room! Which make the seats so much more disappointing.

Even in Norway on the icy roads, it managed fantastically. In Belgium we never have this weather, so I was slightly worried the Michelin Alpin 5 might fall short. But they didn't, these are great winter tyres!

26166475_1849833538382178_7691494837688987199_n.jpg

26165626_1849833625048836_5318769210537229448_n.jpg

26063522_1849833791715486_8652252528861351331_o.jpg

It's now got 50,000km on the clock, and I bet that during this time it's never seen a proper wash. So today I gave it a proper wash. The days are still very short, so I can't do as much as I'd like to in a day. There still is a LOT of work left to properly protect the paint, and the wheels could use a slight buff. This car will see travel to and from building sites on a daily basis, so I'll have my work cut out for me!

38854966124_7e3b3a0bdf_c.jpg

39534248762_fcbd52206a_c.jpg

39534247652_be90048872_c.jpg

39534246852_c96794b9d4_c.jpg

39534245612_9e9684c36a_c.jpg

39534244042_69c8a15866_c.jpg

39534242742_a6a7016f2b_c.jpg

38667681485_105f2fb5b8_c.jpg

As for the GT86, it only sees daylight from time to time. I'd like to do some trackdays with it. Definitely Zolder, perhaps another visit to the 'Ring. I'd really like to have done a lap at Spa, but that track is so expensive to run on!

Back