Bram Turismo's Toyota GT86

Nicely done! đź‘Ť Watching in car video is never the same as being in the car and it always feels glacial by comparison but it really didn't look slow at all.

And you see, almost every lap on the Ring is always compromised somehow. (In this case, the emergency vehicle just before Schwalbenschwanz).

For me personally, the scariest part of the track was charging down into Fuchsröhre. It's windy and twisty and slightly off camber in places and going steeply downhill so you pick up incredible speed (I hit redline in 5th gear there on my 3rd lap). And the trees overhead make it feel like a tunnel. But the braking zone is steeply uphill so you sort of have to trust that you can brake lake, keeping the car balanced due to the kink heading into the braking zone, and still make the following left hander--a section where a lot of people go off if they take too much apex curve. It's a very intimidating stretch of track. And you're already hyper focused heading in there due to the high speed of Schwedenkreuz. :) It's such a wonderful track.

38047748_2107028679329328_6292806354897731584_n.jpg

Picked up new tyres: Hankook Ventus Evo2 tyres. Can't wait to feel how different they'll drive!

39344140_225570594803364_8617828673715699712_n.jpg

Took part in a "rally" this weekend with my friend in his Cayman S. A lot of Lotus owners also took part, so I found myself driving the route behind an Evora 400 and an Elise 220. Could be worse! I used this event to break in the tyres, and feel how they behave before I hit Zolder circuit this Wednesday.

Can say that I already am super happy with these tyres. The difference in grip is just immense. The first hint at the increased grip was the traction from a standstill in a 90 degree corner. With the stock tyres, it squeels rather high-pitched very easily, and you can hear the inner tyre losing grip. With these tyres I can just leave from a standstill in a 90 degree turn on full throttle, and it won't even nudge! Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but with the added grip it almost feels like I can feel the Torsen differential working much harder, as if I can feel the car searching the grip. Or, rather, now the differential is actually working because the tyres don't break traction so easily!

The grip at the front has increased as much as it did for the rear tyres. The initial feel is that the tyres start flexing, but under no circumstances can you hear the tyre losing grip. Usually it'll flex, and then it'll just pull you through the corner. I've only managed to make the tyres work audibly when I couldn't help myself but reel in a Megane RS that had passed me on a straight.

If anything, I'm just blown away how this car feels on proper tyres. If you think the car on stock tyres gives you proper feedback, then you will be absolutely gobsmacked by how much it communicates with proper tyres. At this point I'm just rambling on, but I feel like I've fallen in love with this car all over again. That feeling of just having picked it up from the dealership has returned.

Really, if you ever get a chance to drive this car, go for it!

Anybody_with_a_Twin_and_sticky_tires
...I'm just blown away how this car feels on proper tyres...

Yup! :D:tup:

I've seen several YouTube reviews that state the opposite and complain the car isn't as much fun with soft 200 treadwear tires because you can't slide it around as much. But I think this only applies to the crowd who don't quite understand that there's a law of diminishing returns on slip angle. And at a certain point, if you're going to showboat around in big long drifts, it looks great for the camera (and for likes and clicks, etc) but in reality, if you do that, you're just losing time.

My prediction--> 5 More track days with a good instructor and you'll be wearing...ok, BURNING the outside tread off the tires. And that's not a bad thing. Because (a) it means you're REALLY moving (mmm, or overdriving) and (b) it also means that some camber plates and a track alignment are soon to follow.

EDIT: And before you go back on track, make SURE you change the pads, preferably to something more aggressive. Now that you have stickier tires, if you're still on the stock pads, they'll overheat even quicker than they did on the Primacy.

It's a long, sloping money pit to hell. Welcome. :cheers:

Last edited:
I thought so. Thank goodness I'm single! :lol:

Brake pads were changed just before I did the latest post on the Nordschleife trip ;)

Hi Bram, I have been reading this thread, great car you have there :D I just wanted to share this interesting video about 86 tuning steps, as have been said, first step usually consist of tires and brakes. The hot version video deals with step by step tuning and assess it's result in terms of performance and driveability ( or should I say drift-ability :lol: ) Anyway, I should add in the video, the hot lap at the beginning, before tire change the car had already been prepped with brake pad change to Project Mu Racing N+ and 1 way Cusco RS LSD. The car is base model 86 G, that came with Yokohama dB E70 205/55 R16 eco tires which can be seen driven/drifted by Dori-Dori on his first hot lap session, Enjoy the video, and hope you have more information about the stages of tuning and it's effect on the car. Tire alone could shave seconds at Tsukuba and the 86 can be fitted with pretty wide/big tires.

It's in Japanese, no sub, but still easily understandable :) I suggest to download the video in highest res 480p so you can review the video.

Last edited:
Interesting video, although I wish it was in English or had clear English subtitles or a transcript so we could be sure about some of the suspension settings. I'm also curious as to what exactly they did other than a cat-back exhaust. There's no way they gained 33 whp from that alone. Those kind of increases would require a header, an aggressive tune and a switch to e85 fuel.

That said, I do disagree on one particularly point, and that's moving up to 18" wheels. When you consider all the factors, increased weight, grip vs rolling resistance vs drag, depending on the tire, the 'sweet spot' with this car is a 17x8 or 17x9 inch, light weight wheel with a 235/40/17 tire. Although a 255 will fit, it's really at the limit and it will not allow you to max out the camber settings without some serious fender cutting. And from other tests I've seen, it's not really any faster. It MAY be close on a very tight, twisty track like Tsukuba but otherwise the unsprung weight savings are a big factor. The car is simply too light and underpowered to generate proper heat/grip from a 255.

Either way, with the changes they made, they were able to shave 4.5 seconds from the first run in a completely stock car, and almost 4 seconds with a stock car with a brake pad upgrade. (If I'm following correctly). And that seems about right. And that's on a small, tight 2.0 km track. At Zolder, you'd probably see more like 5-7 seconds.

@jjaisli You're pretty much spot on about the improvements at Zolder!

Had a blast today. The tyres make a world of difference. Last time at the track, which was my first ever time, my best lap was 2:14. Today the best lap I have recorded was 2:08, but I forgot to turn on the GoPro for my last and best stint! I inspected some cars I was chasing, and they were all running semi slick tyres. I also noticed their driving lines weren't all that good either. Either way, I reckon I did a 2:05-2:06 during my last stint. That would be an 8-second improvement. There's still room for improvement, but this is a point where one has to decide to do this on occasion, or throw money at it. If I had the money, I'd buy a suspension kit, new brakes and power upgrades. But I'm having fun with the current package. As @jjaisli pointed out, I do notice the increased outer threadwear on the tyres. I guess I'd need some camber up front to fix that.

Either way it grips really good. Next time I'll try to be braver in the braking zones, and I'll switch traction control completely off. With some bravery, and more agressive brake pads, I reckon breaking the 2 minute mark should be possible with this car without opting for semi slicks.

Interesting video, although I wish it was in English or had clear English subtitles or a transcript so we could be sure about some of the suspension settings. I'm also curious as to what exactly they did other than a cat-back exhaust. There's no way they gained 33 whp from that alone. Those kind of increases would require a header, an aggressive tune and a switch to e85 fuel.

That said, I do disagree on one particularly point, and that's moving up to 18" wheels. When you consider all the factors, increased weight, grip vs rolling resistance vs drag, depending on the tire, the 'sweet spot' with this car is a 17x8 or 17x9 inch, light weight wheel with a 235/40/17 tire. Although a 255 will fit, it's really at the limit and it will not allow you to max out the camber settings without some serious fender cutting. And from other tests I've seen, it's not really any faster. It MAY be close on a very tight, twisty track like Tsukuba but otherwise the unsprung weight savings are a big factor. The car is simply too light and underpowered to generate proper heat/grip from a 255.

Either way, with the changes they made, they were able to shave 4.5 seconds from the first run in a completely stock car, and almost 4 seconds with a stock car with a brake pad upgrade. (If I'm following correctly). And that seems about right. And that's on a small, tight 2.0 km track. At Zolder, you'd probably see more like 5-7 seconds.

My japanese is not that good, I only understand a few tidbits here and there, from information I gathered in the past when I still active building replicas in GT6, the same car was used at Tsukuba Hyper Meeting event, I dig around my old notes, the suspension is Amuse Hi-tech Damper kit with Hyperco 450lb/in or 8kg/mm spring all around, Amuse Hi-tech ROM custom ECU, and Amuse R1 Titan STTI exhaust. I think those are what's installed for step 2 and step 3, along with weight reduction around 50kg from stock weight. For fuel, not sure what they are running, most fuel station sells hai-oku fuel at 98 RON / 93 AKI there.
The last lap time listed on the board is the car with all the upgrades but equipped with stock factory tire, this is to give better understanding of how tire plays important role in performance, and how more power, less weight, better suspension improvement can't be fully utilized when the tire is holding the car back - lap time is 1:10.083, not even a second improvement from stock power/weight time of 1:10.851.

These are some more tuned 86 battle/time attack video, there's some specs listed, modification data are pretty detailed with power, weigh, LSD, final drive ratio, springs, and tire/wheels - one of the street spec car runs 265 rear tire, This may give more insight on what's possible on 86, the lap times at Tsukuba are amazing :)

The car ranges from mild tune street to race spec, and some crazy intense driving, one of them crashed on cool down lap :P

Last edited:
...Last time at the track, which was my first ever time, my best lap was 2:14. Today the best lap I have recorded was 2:08...I also noticed their driving lines weren't all that good either. Either way, I reckon I did a 2:05-2:06 during my last stint. That would be an 8-second improvement. There's still room for improvement, but this is a point where one has to decide to do this on occasion, or throw money at it. If I had the money, I'd buy a suspension kit, new brakes and power upgrades. But I'm having fun with the current package. As @jjaisli pointed out, I do notice the increased outer threadwear on the tyres. I guess I'd need some camber up front to fix that.

Either way it grips really good. Next time I'll try to be braver in the braking zones, and I'll switch traction control completely off. With some bravery, and more agressive brake pads, I reckon breaking the 2 minute mark should be possible with this car without opting for semi slicks.

:cheers:đź‘Ťđź‘Ť Excellent! Well Done, Bram! It's great to see somebody who appreciates the 'craft' and what goes into it. Remember too, at this stage, you will be making big leaps because you're getting better and feeling more comfortable and making an effort to drive a 'proper' line. So I'm guessing you would have been significantly quicker this time around even on the old tires. (And because you weren't carrying the ~ 85-kgs of an instructor or passenger). But the key is to be (a) smooth (b) consistent and (c) hitting all your marks while remembering both (a) and (b). And that rule applies whether you're a novice or a pro. Like any hobby, the more effort and repetition you put into it, the more you'll hone your skills. And you'll find by sticking to those 3 rules, the speed will come very naturally.

I would agree about camber plates/top hats and aftermarket rear control arms (the stock rear suspension on the 86 does not allow you to adjust rear camber, so it's necessary). :rolleyes: (I know) It will cost a lot less than full coil overs. And a hyrbrid alignment will help preserve the tires on track and improve turn-in response without causing too much tire wear on the road. Maybe something like -2.0 of camber in front and -1.5 in the rear. And zero out the toe, if you're comfortable with it. But other than that, if you're going to spend any more money, I would suggest at this stage you hire a driving coach. For every EUR 1 you spend on a good instructor it's worth an EUR 10 you spend on go fast bits for the car.

Just from watching your videos, (although it's tough without looking at telemetry) braking seems to be one area where you could improve. Over a lap, you're probably looking at 2-3 seconds right there. With a light weight, low powered car like the 86, it usually helps to brake a bit earlier so that you can also get back on the throttle earlier. So when I talk about improving your braking, I'm not necessarily saying to brake very late. And there are areas, in transitions and corners where you'll need to use 'maintenance' throttle. But in very general terms, on any straight, followed by a corner, you should be full on the throttle right until you hit your 'mark' for braking and then, immediately, HARD on the brakes. Be smooth, that's important, but for 'simple corners' it should be an instant transition, no coasting.

You probably should turn off the traction control once you start to feel comfortable. Just be aware of when you do it and build up slowly. Driving the 86 without TC/DSC is easier than many cars. A lot of guys go out there in Corvettes or Ferraris or McLarens and those cars have so much power that you almost need to drive with the traction control. But in many cases it becomes a crutch and they never learn to drive properly without it. They look like heroes until one considers that the car is doing half the driving for them. The stickier the tire, and the more you're driving closer to the limits of the tire, the more the TC/DSC inhibits you. And remember too, if you JUST hold down the traction control button, it does not actually shut it off completely. It will still come on in extreme conditions. The only way to fully disable it is with the 'pedal dance'.

But be VERY careful using it the first time. Start by just using the button before transitioning to this. Not only does it disable the traction control and DSC completely, but it also disables the EBD (electronic brake differential). ABS IS still active but when simply turning the traction control off with the button, under hard braking if the car is slightly unbalanced, the car will self adjust the brakes side to side to help keep it under control. With the pedal dance, this is disabled and I can tell you from first hand experience, certain corners and trail braking will feel VERY different. :eek::scared: You need to be fully awake before trying it. :D

My japanese is not that good, I only understand a few tidbits here and there, from information I gathered in the past when I still active building replicas in GT6, the same car was used at Tsukuba Hyper Meeting event, I dig around my old notes, the suspension is Amuse Hi-tech Damper kit with Hyperco 450lb/in or 8kg/mm spring all around, Amuse Hi-tech ROM custom ECU, and Amuse R1 Titan STTI exhaust. I think those are what's installed for step 2 and step 3, along with weight reduction around 50kg from stock weight. For fuel, not sure what they are running, most fuel station sells hai-oku fuel at 98 RON / 93 AKI there.
The last lap time listed on the board is the car with all the upgrades but equipped with stock factory tire, this is to give better understanding of how tire plays important role in performance, and how more power, less weight, better suspension improvement can't be fully utilized when the tire is holding the car back - lap time is 1:10.083, not even a second improvement from stock power/weight time of 1:10.851.

These are some more tuned 86 battle/time attack video, there's some specs listed, modification data are pretty detailed with power, weigh, LSD, final drive ratio, springs, and tire/wheels - one of the street spec car runs 265 rear tire, This may give more insight on what's possible on 86, the lap times at Tsukuba are amazing :)

Thank you VERY much. This is all very helpful and helps to put it in context. It's still a bit shocking that they managed to obtain 30 whp gains from that alone. But a customs ECU could mean just about anything and it was probably incredibly high strung.

Last edited:
@jjaisli Your visits are as always very appreciated! đź‘Ť

You are correct about braking. Thing is, as you can see from the videos, there were many fast cars out there, and there were a few who were slower but didn't let me past on the straights. This really gets me going when they do this, but I just keep some distance instead of getting worked up. My idea was that since I never had a single lap where I was "alone", I'd thought I'd go less aggressive on the brakes, and instead squeeze more laps out of my session. Now that I have a feel for these tyres at their limits, I can try and post a hotlap next time. I just feel too inexperienced as of yet to be attacking the braking zones so close to others. In the end these guys are running better brakes, and I might overshoot my own point if I focus on their cars too much. Remember, in the end, this car is still something I nurse during the weekends. For every session I abuse it at the track, I lay it in a cottonbed a dozenfold.

I wanted to ask you for some general tips on how to spot correct tire wear and pressures. I ran at 2.6 bars, and beyong the initial flex of the tyre which is natural for this Hankook tyre, I didn't seem to notice any exessive slip, or loss of grip with sudden direction changes. So I presumed I was pretty much good in terms of tyre pressure. I did notice some wear already on the outer edge of the tyre. I've been thinkering about the suspension setup changes you mentioned, and it left me wondering whether the sideload on the tyres at these speeds is so great that I need some camber at the front to keep the tyre more horizontal under heavy load. I can't imagine I need to run much higher pressures without it becoming skiddish.

Also, you mentioned a 235/40R17 tyre size. What were your findings with different tyre sizes to pick this size as a favourite?

As for myself, this is a point where I have to control myself. I cannot afford to treat this car as a trackday car. As much as I'd love to trick this car out, it won't be happening. Ideally I'd have this car as a weekend car for car trips, and group rides, and occasional trackdays.

I've asked for a price quote on a Milltek secondary cat-back system. The only thing I now miss from this car is sound experience. I might go the header + cat-back route, to get that boxer sound out, but without becoming overly loud. The limit at Zolder is 95dB, so I need to be careful. My friend fitted a GT4 exhaust to his Cayman S and is now running at 117dB...

You are correct about braking. Thing is, as you can see from the videos, there were many fast cars out there, and there were a few who were slower but didn't let me past on the straights. This really gets me going when they do this, but I just keep some distance instead of getting worked up. My idea was that since I never had a single lap where I was "alone", I'd thought I'd go less aggressive on the brakes, and instead squeeze more laps out of my session. Now that I have a feel for these tyres at their limits, I can try and post a hotlap next time. I just feel too inexperienced as of yet to be attacking the braking zones so close to others.

All very smart and sensible. đź‘Ť

I'm not sure if it exists at Zolder or with the particular group you're running with, but a lot of clubs in the US, aside from normal track events, also have car control clinics. They do various exercises, all under the eye of an instructor:
- skidpad car control - learning to control and balance the car at the limit of adhesion
- threshold braking - correct braking technique and calculating braking points, brake and turn, etc.
- wide vision exercises - exactly what it sounds like. But also teaching you to 'look ahead'.

If you have the chance, try and sign up for something like this. To be honest, the track, or rather say on the track 'during' a track event, is not really the place to learn car control. That's better zeroed in on a 2nd gear autocross run through some cones in an empty parking lot. But a lot of tracks have a skid pad area you can push hard at lower speeds where there's plenty of run-off and no worries about another car up along side you when you're doing it. Ask around and look into it. If you do that even a few times it will probably help tremendously with your confidence and car control skills.

I wanted to ask you for some general tips on how to spot correct tire wear and pressures. I ran at 2.6 bars, and beyong the initial flex of the tyre which is natural for this Hankook tyre, I didn't seem to notice any exessive slip, or loss of grip with sudden direction changes.

One important thing to remember is that pressures build while you're pushing hard on track. The ambient temperature, the temperature of the road surface, the lateral loads, rotational forces, lateral force, friction, and probably hard, repeat braking more than anything (pads build up heat on the rotors which transfers to the hubs which transfer to the wheels which heats the air in the tires). So even on a cold day with near freezing temperatures, you'll eventually build up to the same pressures if you're pushing hard enough. But the moment you come off track or even start a cool down lap, those pressures drop pretty quickly. So by the time you come back to the paddock and measure pressures, they've probably dropped about 0.15~0.25 bar compared to what they were running 'hot'.

Every tire is different and reacts differently. Street tires will have more baseline grip and can operate over a more effective range of pressures. But their limits are still much lower. Under pressured tires will make the car will feel like it has 'slow' reactions. It's slow to correct and you'll feel a bit of 'flex' under hard braking or transient maneuvers. Over-inflated and the car will probably understeer on initial turn in and then oversteer when powering out. And the grip just won't be there. But these are very general answers.

Also, you mentioned a 235/40R17 tyre size. What were your findings with different tyre sizes to pick this size as a favourite?
I started with 215/45/17 Dunlop Starspecs. Then moved up to 225/45/17. Then changed rims and went to a 235/40/17. Keep in mind that I've had a big pool of resources to draw from.

(1) The FT86 boards has a great section for track driving, although it's not quite as active now-a-days as it was 2-3 years ago: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39 There are some incredibly knowledgeable people in that thread that you can draw from.

(2) My own shop: http://azpinstalls.com/web/ These guys are all former racers and they ran a car for two season in the FT86 cup at NASA events. They were able to do a LOT of experimentation with different suspension settings, wheel and tires sizes and make direct comparisons, similar to the video that @Ridox2JZGTE posted.

(3) The co-owner of the dealer where I bought my car is an amateur racer. https://www.johnstonstoyota.com That would be Steve Jardin. And he's also been very generous with his time and expertise.

The general consensus is that 235/40/17 is just the 'sweet spot' between grip & fit with the FT86 platform. If you're autocrossing, you probably want the widest tires you can fit becasue you're going out on 'warm' tires and running for 60 seconds--so there, go for a 255. The tires are barely coming up to temperature when you're done. As opposed to 20-30 minutes out on track. So you want a tire that's wide, but not so wide that it creates an aero block and adds (instead of reduces) unsprung weight. Remember, every 1 kg of unsprung weight is equal to about 5 kgs on the rest of the car. And with a 255 the contact patch is so wide that it creates frictional losses in straight line speed that the car just doesn't have enough power to overcome. When I first mounted my Enkei wheels (they were about 5 kgs lighter than my stock rims, it was a revelation--the car just felt so much lighter and quicker from that alone). Most people who tried running 255s on track felt that on long straights it was slowing them down more than they were gaining in the corners.

I've asked for a price quote on a Milltek secondary cat-back system. The only thing I now miss from this car is sound experience. I might go the header + cat-back route, to get that boxer sound out, but without becoming overly loud. The limit at Zolder is 95dB, so I need to be careful. My friend fitted a GT4 exhaust to his Cayman S and is now running at 117dB...
I doubt you'll be anywhere near 117dB. That' way over the limit for most tracks in the US. Many have 'unmuffled' days but they're normally saved for actual races. Cat back + header will also force you to change the tune in the ECU or you'd never pass an emissions inspection and your car will not be able to take advantage of the free flowing header without it. You'll make more power and it's nice but I can tell you it will be really annoying on the road. I can't say much because I did it myself but my advise would be to leave the header and exhaust and install aftermarket control arms and top hats so you can adjust the camber and put whatever is left over to a coach.

FWIW, link to (one of several options) for adjustable rear control arms and Camber/Caster plates. These are both what I have on my car, the SPC rear control arms and Raceseng top hats:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/spc-rear-control-arms-and-toe-
kit-891.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsrnLz5qS3QIVEI3ICh30Ag8DEAQYBCABEgJYFvD_BwE#.W4aKPsInaHs
67660-1_1_1.jpg

https://www.raceseng.com/cascam-caster-camber-plates-toyota-86-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-2013
cascam-spring-perch.jpg

No doubt the prices you'll pay in Europe are probably double the costs listed here but it should give you some idea.

Yeah, the import charges from FT86speedfactory into my country are insane.

For now I'm going to try and return to Zolder september 26, if it stays dry. That's probably going to be the last event I'll take part in before I put it into hibernation for the winter. The costs of insurance and gas, not to mention detailing products I keep throwing at it, I better save up to use next summer. I might or might not try and get that Milltek exhaust before october.

This time I'm going to run a few laps with traction control off, do fewer laps per stint, but really try to get a good lap in this time.

So I've ordered this:

subaru.brz-rear-silencer.jpg

Might have it installed by Thursday. I'm going to couple this to a UEL header, and see how the sound is. I'm going for a resonated exhaust, as my country is very harsh on MOT inspections, and the resonated exhaust has its own certificate. I'd like the sound to have some character, so ideally a deep boxer rumble, but without the sharp exhaust note of a non-resonated cat-back. If I like the sound, I'll probably get it onto a dyno as well. I don't require a lot of gains, but if I can see a 20-30hp gain with a lot more torque from 3k rpm onwards, it'll add massively to the experience when going on touring events.

Just remember, if you go for the UEL header, you'll need a custom/aftermarket tune for the ECU both to take advantage of the lower backpressure and to make more power and because if you don't, you'll probably pull a CELL and get a check engine light within the first 10 minutes. And you'll never be able to pass an inspection.

Just remember, if you go for the UEL header, you'll need a custom/aftermarket tune for the ECU both to take advantage of the lower backpressure and to make more power and because if you don't, you'll probably pull a CELL and get a check engine light within the first 10 minutes. And you'll never be able to pass an inspection.

Yeah, my plan was to get a custom tune for it on the dyno with an Openflash tablet. But the header is for next year anyway, only the exhaust I'll be installing, and from october it'll stay in the garage during the winter.

That looks epic!! I say keep the badges but that because I like OEM stuff. Except the oddly placed badges on a Nissan Juke.

Looks nice! Now try it with the rear seats folded down :D

Tried that, worked :dopey:

Apparently it should get a tiny bit louder and raspier after 1,000km. Doesn't really have to for my part, I'm happy the way it sounds right now.

Teeny tiny upgrade today. Always thought these were ridiculously expensive for a plastic part. Today I got one with 25% discount, and without having to import one, so no shipping costs at all. Still too expensive for what it is, 80 euros, but I've wanted to get rid of the stock antenna for so long now.

FinStock-5.JPG

42591562_2188360084529520_4786865631213387776_o.jpg

Last trackday of the year for me. In the winter I'm going to spend some time getting it cleaned, and store it away. A full service is due methinks, it feels like something is lurking around the corner with the brakes. The brake pedal shocks slightly whenever I apply brake pressure, and this happens both at very light pressure, as during full braking pressure. It still brakes fine, but the feel of the pedal is like the ABS going off. It's been doing this since the trackday in August, but it still brakes fine. I was unsure if I wanted to take part at all, but I just wanted to have the last 30 minutes of fun with the new exhaust.

During the winter I'll probably do some small changes here and there. I'd really love the TOMs taillights, but they're really hard to find over here.

Very short video of past wednesday. Today I spent a good 3-4 hours cleaning the bodywork. The tar from marbles were all over the car, and the rims were covered in brake dust. It looks great now, but the front bumper has taken a massive hit from the gravel thrown up by that Lotus you see in the video. Some of the chips are massive. Not sure how I'm going to fix those yet...

Nice driving Bram. After diving inside you under brakes that Lotus didn't really get away, did he?...

Car sounds great too. Not sure how much exhaust is coming through on that vid, but I do like the induction sound of these at high revs and the little "chuff" noise as they change gear - it actually reminds me a little of a similar sound produced by 911s.

Nice driving Bram. After diving inside you under brakes that Lotus didn't really get away, did he?...

Car sounds great too. Not sure how much exhaust is coming through on that vid, but I do like the induction sound of these at high revs and the little "chuff" noise as they change gear - it actually reminds me a little of a similar sound produced by 911s.

Cheers man!

The problem with this particular trackday was that it was organized without the usual track rules, so I knew I was taking a risk by participating. People trying to dive past others when 3 wide in a corner, diving over the white line on pit exit onto the middle of the track, all sorts of crazy stuff. Most of them didn't knew the track at all, and it showed.

I had already done a number of laps at the start of the video, which is why I only followed him for a single lap. He was all over the place, but I had no chance of passing with the lack of power and braking performance. I looked for it in the pitlane, and saw it had semi slicks, so had he known the track, he would've left me standing.

Flat-out, I was able to hold my own in the corners against an E46 M3 and an M140i. But those things are so ridiculously fast on the straights, especially that M140, it was but a foolish attempt to try and follow them.

The exhaust does sound very good. It still doesn't bring that boxer sound to it, but it adds a lot of bass to the car. I also love how the tips creep out under the bodywork when it heats up, so that the logo "Milltek Sport" only becomes visible when the exhaust is hot. It also puffs when shifting gear. It's those little things that the original car is missing that keeps you smiling.

Sadly I keep noticing at track days that pretty much no one is interested in the GT86. People that aren't into cars at all absolutely love the little funky car, but at the track no one bats an eye for it. Not that I care, but it's what I've noticed during the 3 years I've soon had it.

Sadly I keep noticing at track days that pretty much no one is interested in the GT86. People that aren't into cars at all absolutely love the little funky car, but at the track no one bats an eye for it. Not that I care, but it's what I've noticed during the 3 years I've soon had it.
It's the same with MX-5s. I think people look down on cars like that a bit - certainly at trackdays I've been to, there are usually more 911s than MX-5s or GT86s. And then they ignore them out of shame because on track they couldn't shake you despite having 100+ more horsepower...

So I'm thinking about getting a Tomei UEL header for this car. The chap who fitted the Milltek exhaust has one laying ready for me, but since the car will be stored for the winter, I'm not sure if I want to get it fitted right now or wait for next year. Like @jjaisli said, I might run into a Check Engine Light on the way home from the workshop. It's a 45 minute drive, so I'm kind of on the edge on whether I want it now or later. In the spring when I'll register it again, it'd get an Open Flash Tablet and a custom tune. In terms of power and sound, the car would be finished by that point.

In terms of sound, I think the Tomei UEL header is just about perfect:

Check 1:00 for boxer goodiness.

Bram Turismo
...The brake pedal shocks slightly whenever I apply brake pressure, and this happens both at very light pressure, as during full braking pressure. It still brakes fine, but the feel of the pedal is like the ABS going off.

Do you only feel it through the brake pedal or can you also feel it through the steering column? It's actually common to feel some vibration from the brakes after some hard on track driving and it's hard to put a finger on it and it could be a combination of many factors (stock rotors with more aggressive pads, heat from more aggressive pads on rotors that were already a bit old, super heated pads resting on the rotor (holding the brakes after coming off the track, etc) causing some of the material to stick to the surface of the rotor; I've had this on the 86 as well. As long as the car is stopping and your rotors aren't cracked and your pads aren't cracked or worn more than 50%, it's probably OK, but it can be rather disconcerting under hard braking.

Bram Turismo
...The tar from marbles were all over the car, and the rims were covered in brake dust. It looks great now, but the front bumper has taken a massive hit from the gravel thrown up...

:lol: Yeah, you have to get used to that. It's going to happen. And worse The only way to avoid it is to get a full clear bra. But if your car is already a few years old it's basically too late as it should really be applied from the beginning. But if you track regularly, this is inevitable. Same with cracked windshield, cracked headlights, etc. :scared::ouch:

This was from a 3 day event, a few years ago.

44353486904_ce773a29e4_k.jpg

I can't tell you how many hours I spent trying to remove hot rubber over the past few years. Now, I don't even bother. I just wash it after an event and once a year I bring it to a detail place where they give it a full claybar, paint correction, sealant, wax, etc. And let me tell you, there's a reason why all three sets of wheels I have for this car are black. đź‘Ť:sly:

Trust me, they'll notice. As I'm sure the Lotus driver noticed when you were still up on his ass after a lap. But you're right about the driving standards out there. Events like this, and the people they attract, scare me. I really think using point-bys are a much safer way of working track events. It has it's own pitfalls when you have guys in faster cars with big egos who don't want to let people by, even if they're being shown blue flags. But it prevents people from dive bombing other cars in the braking zone when they're not expecting it.

Last edited:
It's the same with MX-5s. I think people look down on cars like that a bit - certainly at trackdays I've been to, there are usually more 911s than MX-5s or GT86s. And then they ignore them out of shame because on track they couldn't shake you despite having 100+ more horsepower...

That's interesting. I have to say, I've done events with 7 different organizations in the US and Canada over the years, and with every one of them, including some brand specific clubs, 10-20 year old MX5s always make for the most popular track cars and you see more of them than anything else. It's always an eclectic mix and sure there are usually some fast guys in fast cars. But generally the Miata guys and E30/E36 BMW guys are the hardcore track rats. And there's reasons for that, which I'm sure you well know yourself.

The guys who turn up their noses at them are probably the people who primarily attend cars and coffee events, who have their Instagram hashtags on their cars, who are documenting their track exploits for their YouTube channel, desperate for more subs, and they do the occasional track event, while talking into the camera for their fans.

Sure an F430 Challenge or a brand new 911 GT2 will garner a lot more attention from spectators and drivers alike. But I haven't been to an event yet where I haven't had at least 2-3 other drivers come up and start asking questions about the 86. And it's always the same questions: What's it like to drive, what are it's pros and cons, how much does it cost to run and what kind of lap times am I running.

Back