• Voted Leave - Second Referendum

• Did not vote/abstained - May's Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - No Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - Second Referendum

• Voted Remain - May's Deal

• Voted Remain - No Deal

• Voted Remain - Second Referendum

Results are only viewable after voting.
At least this morning waking up, I know one lad who’s happy...

The "I get my news from Russia Today" woman's comment..

upload_2020-2-1_12-43-17.png

... this sentiment always bugs me. The high street is dying, and if you can only hear other languages on your own high street then it's because British people are sat at home, ordering everything on Amazon, ordering from deliveroo, and watching Netflix, and not integrating with general society.

I hear English being spoken on my local high street all the time. Outside of select areas this type of comment is usually grossly exaggerated or completely wrong.

No, it's just that what she actually means is "when you hear a language other than your own on the High Street there's something amiss". Stranger danger!

...still tho, I’m sure there are some nasty Remainers...

I'm willing to be burned alive for this opinion; that pic stinks of fakery.

EDIT: Still tho, I'm sure there are some nasty Leavers, Remainders and HangAboutInTheMiddlers.

The "I get my news from Russia Today" woman's comment..

View attachment 886868

... this sentiment always bugs me. The high street is dying, and if you can only hear other languages on your own high street then it's because British people are sat at home, ordering everything on Amazon, ordering from deliveroo, and watching Netflix, and not integrating with general society.
Because the facts totally back her up right ? :confused:
  • according to the 2011 Census, the total population of England and Wales was 56.1 million, and 86.0% of the population was White
  • people from Asian ethnic groups made up the second largest percentage of the population (at 7.5%), followed by Black ethnic groups (at 3.3%), Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups (at 2.2%) and Other ethnic groups (at 1.0%)
  • among the specific ethnic groups, people from the White British ethnic group made up the largest percentage of the population (at 80.5%), followed by Other White (4.4%) and Indian (2.5%)
  • from 2001 to 2011, the percentage of the population of England and Wales that was White British decreased from 87.4% to 80.5%, while the Other White group saw the largest increase in their share of the population, from 2.6% to 4.4%
  • the percentage of the population from a Black African background doubled from 0.9% in 2001 to 1.8% in 2011
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...ations/population-of-england-and-wales/latest

And that doesn't even take into account how many of those none British white people have English as their first language. These absolute muppets have been lied to for so long and have formed these opinions without doing the tiniest bit of research themselves. And they some how think they are now free. They are slaves to billionaire right wing media moguls who are laughing all the way to the bank. It's pitiful.

The police are investigating. Can't wait for someone to try to justify this as free speech even though it's intended to limit the speech of others.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-norwich-council-norfolk-police-a9313126.html
I mean, it is free speech. It might express an opinion to suppress others or whatever else, but it's only words and words don't physically boot people out of apartment buildings.

Someone being arrested for this would continue, in my mind, a disturbing trend of opinion policing in the UK.

Clarification, though, before you start finding a nice hill to put my cross on, it should be investigated whether there is any intent to remove/harm someone or whatever else, of course. But unfortunately I don't believe in getting people arrested if they don't agree with me or don't like the way I conduct myself or how I look or speak. We are giving naughty words too much power.

But unfortunately I don't believe in getting people arrested if they don't agree with me or don't like the way I conduct myself or how I look or speak.
I'm not sure they should be arrested but if they should lose their cowardly anonymity as a result of this investigation, that's ok with me.

Some Brexiters commenting on the poster find its sentiments so reprehensible that their first impulse is to blame it on remoaners. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to prove or disprove this one way or the other along with the implicit threat of violence towards non English speakers? Either way, this investigation would appear to be warranted.

I mean, it is free speech. It might express an opinion to suppress others or whatever else, but it's only words and words don't physically boot people out of apartment buildings.

Someone being arrested for this would continue, in my mind, a disturbing trend of opinion policing in the UK.

Clarification, though, before you start finding a nice hill to put my cross on, it should be investigated whether there is any intent to remove/harm someone or whatever else, of course. But unfortunately I don't believe in getting people arrested if they don't agree with me or don't like the way I conduct myself or how I look or speak. We are giving naughty words too much power.
As much as protecting freedom of speech is important, people should not be free to say whatever they like. The language and tone is aggressive and threatening. 'There is one rule', 'we do not tolerate', 'you infected'. The letter is designed to intimidate people where they live, and we shouldn't tolerate that. What if it were posted on the front door of an immigrant living in the building? Would you still think that a person's right to free speech supercedes a person's right to feel safe in their home?

Of course, the investigation may conclude that there was another reason for the letter.

It's not free speech, because we don't have free speech in the UK.
As much as protecting freedom of speech is important, people should not be free to say whatever they like.
Freedom of speech is the protection from persecution by government for what you say (or otherwise express). People should be free to say whatever they like... and not get thrown in gaol for it.

It's not the protection from any other consequence, or the guarantee of a platform from which to say it. Katie Hopkins' removal from Twitter is not a free speech issue, because Twitter is not government.

Similarly, the human garbage who wrote this language-mangled pontification about using the right language, should not - but will, because we don't have free speech in the UK - face any police prosecution for this action. But that doesn't mean that they shouldn't face any consequences, like having their fizzog all over the news, being chucked out of their council flat (I'm sure that littering and flyers are against the tenancy agreement alone), or any private prosecution for threatening behaviour.

Don't confuse "free speech" with "total absence of consequence from speaking". It's "protection from persecution by government for speaking". And we don't have it in the UK in any case.

As much as protecting freedom of speech is important, people should not be free to say whatever they like. The language and tone is aggressive and threatening. 'There is one rule', 'we do not tolerate', 'you infected'. The letter is designed to intimidate people where they live, and we shouldn't tolerate that. What if it were posted on the front door of an immigrant living in the building? Would you still think that a person's right to free speech supercedes a person's right to feel safe in their home?

Of course, the investigation may conclude that there was another reason for the letter.
At any rate, people shouldn't be free from the consequences of saying what they like. This stopped being a free speech issue the moment someone decided to pin these posters up around Norwich. It's not purporting to be someone's "opinion" as @MaxAttack implies above.

[EDIT] Treed

Last edited:
I'm all in favour of free speech, especially if it is the the Queens English.

We didn't win two world wars and one referendudum just to listen to Johnny Foreigner not talk proper.

It's not free speech, because we don't have free speech in the UK.

Freedom of speech is the protection from persecution by government for what you say (or otherwise express). People should be free to say whatever they like... and not get thrown in gaol for it.

It's not the protection from any other consequence, or the guarantee of a platform from which to say it. Katie Hopkins' removal from Twitter is not a free speech issue, because Twitter is not government.

Similarly, the human garbage who wrote this language-mangled pontification about using the right language, should not - but will, because we don't have free speech in the UK - face any police prosecution for this action. But that doesn't mean that they shouldn't face any consequences, like having their fizzog all over the news, being chucked out of their council flat (I'm sure that littering and flyers are against the tenancy agreement alone), or any private prosecution for threatening behaviour.

Don't confuse "free speech" with "total absence of consequence from speaking". It's "protection from persecution by government for speaking". And we don't have it in the UK in any case.
I agree with you, particularly the last two paragraphs here. And yeah, I'm aware free speech isn't protected anywhere in UK law - it's my opinion that it really should be.

As much as I believe it should be a basic right for this person to say these things, I believe in the right of anyone incensed by it to condemn them, exactly as openly and publicly, and without consequence from the law.

For me this isn't about what side of the issue whichever insult falls on, it's about the precedent set when speech alone is actively policed. I believe if you suppress someone's right to say something they truly believe, you're only ever going to reinforce the idea that their opinion represents a battle, and there are powerful forces at work to keep their opinion (in their mind, the truth) from reaching the people.

This is a scary scenario where the government is entrenching an us-vs-them mentality, and people who believe they're under attack will defend themselves, and that just escalates everything.

I hope I'm being clear here - screw anyone who believes Brexit justifies their bigotry, but A) I don't believe this kind of thinking is nearly as prevalent as some would have us believe, and B) forcing bigots into the shadows only makes them sneakier.

Latest Posts

Back