• Voted Leave - Second Referendum

• Did not vote/abstained - May's Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - No Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - Second Referendum

• Voted Remain - May's Deal

• Voted Remain - No Deal

• Voted Remain - Second Referendum

Results are only viewable after voting.
I honestly think Howard has lost the plot - he basically said 'Thatcher was a woman and went to war with a Spanish-speaking country over a small island that belongs to Britain - Theresa May is a woman and Spain want a small island that belongs to Britain, therefore...' - what an imbecile. I mean, the bit about being a woman was bad enough, but apparently the 'Spanish-speaking' bit really took the biscuit.

We nicked the Falklands off the Spanish (just about) too. It's as if we don't get on somehow :)

In all seriousness though, what gives the EU the right to declare that Spain should have any say in what happens in Gibraltar?

They have (or should have) zero right. As I understand it the bargaining tool that Spain are using is their potential veto of any UK-EU trade agreement.

Do we get to keep Marbella?

We nicked the Falklands off the Spanish (just about) too. It's as if we don't get on somehow :)

If my memory serves me correctly, the Falkland Islands were either uninhabited or abandoned when the British navy set up an outpost there.

It's typically when Argentina's ruling government has domestic troubles that they roll out the Malvinas card as a distraction technique.

They have (or should have) zero right. As I understand it the bargaining tool that Spain are using is their potential veto of any UK-EU trade agreement.

Do we get to keep Marbella?

Or as @ExigeEvan pointed out, do Spain get to carry the hypocrisy card and continue holding onto those two cities in Morocco?

If my memory serves me correctly, the Falkland Islands were either uninhabited or abandoned when the British navy set up an outpost there.

We shared them with Spain until we buggered off and left them to it. Then Spain wandered off too and, eventually, another Spanish (minor) settlement sprang up with the blessing of Buenos Aires. Mutiny followed BA's attempt to garrison the settlement and the Americans got involved (not for the last time in the Falklands :) ) and then Britain turned up shouting "giddorf moi larnd" to everybody who would listen, mostly sheep.

So now Malvinas stands as a Southern beacon to British glory, grit, determination and ability to turn up late after most of the fighting's finished and set up a barbecue.

I think you'll find the Wiki quotes me almost word for word.

Today the Sun's headline writers re-imagine an old favourite:

_95451103_thesun.jpg

...They have (or should have) zero right. As I understand it the bargaining tool that Spain are using is their potential veto of any UK-EU trade agreement...
A condition of Spain entering the EU was to stop laying their claim on Gibraltar, which rightfully they had been on about for a very, very long time.

Now that May has cast the UK off, we will no longer be a part of the EU and so Spain can resume its right to a claim.

Today the Sun's headline writers re-imagine an old favourite:

Did you see the marvellous level of double standards stupidity by including a holiday voucher advert for holidays in Spain on the same page?

Last edited:
Or the fact that the Sun doesn't acknowledge that Gibraltar voted near-unanimously to remain in the EU.

They didn't do it on the cover and I'd be surprised if they bothered to mention it on pages four and five; they'll most likely just talk about how long the Union flag has been hanging there instead of debating the actual political situation.

From the Rock of Gibraltar to the Rock of Jell-O in one unfortunate omission and one quick paint job.

That's either a very expensive decommissioned Bren gun or it's a very difficult to own active Bren gun.

Either way, not something to be posting on Twitter.

It's a Facebook post which was print screened and put on Twitter by this John O Neill.

The post seems to have been removed but the Protestant Coalition page seems to be your typical Norn Iron Loyalist paramilitary stuff. But if what you say about the weapons is true, then that is a worry...

I'm voting to stay. Leaving this would lead to the Houses of Parliament wasting time on laws which would be amended as all laws must comply with EU as we are under the European Communties Act 1972.

Economically it is will be a negative as trade links will be weakened with investors within the EU so this will have a domino effect on our economy.

Then it happened, the resolve on European cars made by car makers of EU members countries had lost its power....

A fascinating article from the BBC about what will be the UK/EU's only land border (Scottish shenanigans excepted). People there still remember the bombs and checkpoints and some are naturally fearful of a return to Irish division.
Yeah, this got pulled up by a few Irish journalists the day after Brexit. As has proven in the meantime to be typical, the Tories hadn't thought of all that.

Last time I looked, there was a very positive chance of an Irish reunification happening as a result.

Yeah, this got pulled up by a few Irish journalists the day after Brexit.

Hmm, I'd actually say it was long before - it was one of the features of the campaign in NI.

Last time I looked, there was a very positive chance of an Irish reunification happening as a result.

At the moment something significant would need to happen for that to be the case: NI would need to cede from the UK and carry a new referendum or the EU would need to legislate to identify NI (and by dint of that Scotland, England and Wales) as a country with its own rights of representation at the EU. Presumably for the latter any country ceding from the EU in such a way would seek to inherit the UK's membership deal in some form - that isn't a given.

...At the moment something significant would need to happen for that to be the case: NI would need to cede from the UK and carry a new referendum or the EU would need to legislate to identify NI (and by dint of that Scotland, England and Wales) as a country with its own rights of representation at the EU. Presumably for the latter any country ceding from the EU in such a way would seek to inherit the UK's membership deal in some form - that isn't a given.
The EU have already said they'd accept NI as a part of The Republic if it was to be reunited. As for the rest, I'm not close enough to the events anymore to be fully aware, just relying on a few folks' occasional tweets from on the ground about current developments.

Frankly, I hope that they can discuss this and come to an agreement because no one wants a hard border there again. There has been a lot of bloody-mindedness in the past, something also prevalent in Scotland which also has a similar divide behind it all. Scotland differs though in that it has valuable resources at its disposal, NI doesn't have so much anymore.

I think up until last week, the issue of Brexit was more firm in this respect. Now though, that might not be so certain. I know JC has proven dogged about continuing with negotiations but the Labour Party have voted to backtrack if the deal isn't favourable. He doesn't want to lose Scotland, once again due to the revenue that he'll then have at his disposal. I'm not so sure about NI.

Of course, a vote or possibly a referendum there would need to take place, as you said. A hard Brexit is possibly the easiest scenario toward unification, which the ECJ will not allow May or her successor to deny them. The Unionists of course will need to be persuaded and they'll probably feel secure in their members concerning an outcome to remain as a part of the UK. In a referendum though people from the north who remember how little London used to give them by comparison to the EU projects and development programmes and how life is now, they'll help swing it. So, call me a romantic but I have a good feeling for Ireland, at last.

Just thought I'd leave that here. I also believe that it is not true that the UK is the EU's biggest trading partner.

With infinite timing and wisdom, Teresa May theatens a trade war with the US following the Bombardier tariff.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/27/theresa-may-threatens-us-withtrade-war-bombardier-row/

It makes little difference - under America First the Bombardier deals are likely to be few and far between in any case. Why not try to protect UK jobs at a concern that was formerly a UK company (Shorts)? That article shows the standard of The Telegraph too... Northern Ireland is so not in Britain :D

Some major developments in the Brexit negotiations today...

The UK government and the EU have finally agreed a deal that will guarantee the right of all EU citizens currently resident in the UK to stay after Brexit, as well as allowing their families to join them at a later date. Similarly, UK citizens living in the EU will also be allowed to stay.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/08/main-points-of-agreement-uk-eu-brexit-deal

-

Also, the UK government have confirmed that there will be no 'hard border' in Ireland, and that people born in Northern Ireland will retain EU citizenship after Brexit in a move that largely resolves the current impasse but will raise major questions (e.g in Scotland and Wales) about the fairness of NI citizens being allowed to retain EU membership but not them.

Wow NI citizens are really getting their cake and eating it! Technically out of the EU but EU citizens, the Scots and Welsh are going to be fuming!

Wow NI citizens are really getting their cake and eating it! Technically out of the EU but EU citizens, the Scots and Welsh are going to be fuming!
Not to mention my NI-born friend who's a staunch Brexiteer. I'd buy his European citizenship off him if I could.

I'm not Scottish or Welsh, but I'm fairly annoyed that NI residents get to keep it and I can't.

I suppose anything which annoys those bigots in the DUP is a good thing but really, this is extremely unfair and only entrenches the belief in the Scottish and Welsh who are inclined to believe so, myself included, that the United Kingdom is not in their best interests and only an attempt at creating Scotlandshire and Walesshire as de facto counties of England.

I really don't understand how David Davis has kept his job thus far. It's embarrassing.

Back