Brilliant Racing Videos

Clive James was brilliant doing the commentary on the end of season highlights videos.

Clive James' dry, sarcastic description is bloody fantastic. Pulling no punches and calling it as it is.

DK
"To put it another way: buuuuuuuuttttttt." Best commentary line ever.

Or my favourite quote from that:

"While the Alfas were being put back together so they could be thrown away" :lol:.

Do love the sarcasm of his commentary :lol:.

Beast mode.

Literally just watched that myself, was even thinking about posting it here too :lol:.

But a beast it most certainly is, and it sounds so beastly too :drool:. Just shows how immense the MkIII was and still is, if it's able to lap within a few seconds of the 2016 IMSA Prototypes pole lap too...

On the subject of bonkers turbocharged Toyota I4's:

Will never get enough of how bonkers the Tacoma, or the Celica Pikes Peak are with their immensely powerful 4-cylinder units. Rod Millen's Tacoma is one of the best Pikes Peak machines of all time for me.

Literally just watched that myself, was even thinking about posting it here too :lol:.

But a beast it most certainly is, and it sounds so beastly too :drool:. Just shows how immense the MkIII was and still is, if it's able to lap within a few seconds of the 2016 IMSA Prototypes pole lap too...

Will never get enough of how bonkers the Tacoma, or the Celica Pikes Peak are with their immensely powerful 4-cylinder units. Rod Millen's Tacoma is one of the best Pikes Peak machines of all time for me.

That Tacoma run is INSANE!!!

I'm pretty sure that the Millen Pike's Peak Tacoma used the same engine that was in the Eagle-Toyota Mk.III IMSA GTP car...

I'm pretty sure that the Millen Pike's Peak Tacoma used the same engine that was in the Eagle-Toyota Mk.III IMSA GTP car...

Looking back at it, at think your dead right, don't why I didn't think to make the link upon posting that d'oh! :odd:. But makes sense as it was the same unit as used in the Pikes Peak Celica and the JGTC Supra's at the time I believe, and dated back to the 87C if I'm right in saying.

Edit: Just double checked but Millens Pikes Peak Celica in fact had the same 3S-GTM sourced from the AAR Eagles, so of course the Tacoma ran the same, since it was an evolution of the Celica.

Last edited:
Part of the '93 Bathurst 12H. RX-7, 968, normal road cars(I think a ute raced this year) and some bike action on the mountain(crazy).

Part of the '93 Bathurst 12H. RX-7, 968, normal road cars(I think a ute raced this year) and some bike action on the mountain(crazy).

Yep Allan 'Gricey' Grice, Brad Jones & John Spencer, a Holden employee & test driver working at the Lang Lang proving grounds, drove a VP Commodore ute complete with 5.0 V8.
They finished 26th after problems with the handling, generated by the nose-heavy weight distribution.

But......that was 1992.

It's a bit infomercial-ish (as is pretty much every video in that series- still pretty interesting to watch though) but man those onboards and slo-mo shots are impressive!

Interesting? The bit that is no longer in existence was long straight-chicane-long straight-chicane-long straight-chicane-long straight.

And they replaced it with long straight-hairpin-short straight-hairpin-short straight.

Hardly the most emotive language to describe any course.

This video gave me goosebumps. It summarizes why Gilles Villeneuve was the fastest Driver Formula 1 has ever seen. Nothing could stop him.

He was before my time & it's only thanks to what was captured on film that I know about the legend of Gilles Villeneuve.

Watching that film made me wish we had current cars that could be driven like that & drivers brave enough to do so.
It also made me wonder what Gilles would think of the current cars.
Frankly, I don't think he would like them at all.

He was before my time & it's only thanks to what was captured on film that I know about the legend of Gilles Villeneuve.

Watching that film made me wish we had current cars that could be driven like that & drivers brave enough to do so.
It also made me wonder what Gilles would think of the current cars.
Frankly, I don't think he would like them at all.

It was before my time as well but luckily his light shown bright enough for the public to photograph, film and write about. I‘ve got similar thoughts on him... what might have been if the cars of his era would have had better downforce... he would be the record holder of every track. He won races in cars doomed of being far too slow even for the midfield. He is proof that statistics are not half of the truth when it comes to defining a great racing driver.

Back