British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

United Kingdom
Southampton
RacingAtHome
Found this Reddit thread which linked to a Facebook Live where Matt Neal confirms a BTCC Game "in development" for the end of 2021.

The (very) short discussion about that game is around 31:20 of that Facebook Live.

Surprised it hadn't been discussed here seeing as it was around the end of March when Neal discussed it in that Facebook Live.

He says the game is BTCC headlined rather than just a tag-along of another game which could mean a number of things.

A Touring Car celebration with say, the 1992, 95, 98 and 2000 seasons represented would cover a lot of the series highlights, with the transition to the cheaper regs at the turn of the millennium still providing iconic cars in the shape of the 888 Astras and the Integras.

If it aint got the classic era stuff then I don't think it would sell well. Wonder if Codemasters would be heading this up.

A BTCC game has to be accessible to the bulk of the fans to make it even worthwhile so I wouldn't imagine it'll be a game ripe for the mould of SMS. More hardcore than grid sure but in the same way Dort Rally 2 is morebhardcore than Dirt 4. Realistic but fun and playable on a gamepad.

Also, unpopular opinion, but no to classics. BTCC doesn't need it, the fields is big and strong, there's plenty of support series that can be made if needed. Classics will just take away focus from the core experience and take time away in development which could affect the overall experience. At most, a couple of actually legendary cars but none of this whole season stuff.

Bit late here guys, I mean Neal's comments were in March. Gow apparently did say in an interview this week it was happening and closer to a 2021 release.

Bit late here guys
Oddly I've not seen any other sim-racing site covering it in any form either - so we're late and yet still pretty much ground floor. The site traffic right now is suggesting that this is news to a whole load of people (like GTS update level traffic).
I mean Neal's comments were in March.
And linked in the article.

Of course if someone had tipped us about it sooner, we'd have had it sooner. I had to get my wife to watch it because I don't even have a Facebook account :lol:

Gow apparently did say in an interview this week it was happening and closer to a 2021 release.
That's actually where I caught it first, and digging into it found that it hadn't made the news sections on any other sim-racing site. Weirdly, the Daily Express had a pretty comprehensive article on Dan Cammish's comments about a Codies/TOCA game from 2019, but I've found nary a blip since. A couple of threads on RD, Reddit, and actually here (I'll merge them shortly), but no news articles.

Last edited:
I found a cool lobby last night in GT Sport with people running GR4 cars, some of them in retro BTCC liveries, blasting around Brands Hatch. But this, this would be awesome.

Codemasters bought SMS (Project Cars) so maybe they are developing the new BTCC sim. In fact, project cars has a some of the content Ginetta, Ginetta Junior...

Codemasters bought SMS (Project Cars) so maybe they are developing the new BTCC sim. In fact, project cars has a some of the content Ginetta, Ginetta Junior...

Exactly! Would be an easy win for them. Plus they had a few of the tracks!

I really hope they don't do this. Focus on making a good BTCC series game with support series. Faffing with classics will just take up resources that should go into making it as authentic as possible.

For many like me the classic late 90's would be the only reason for me to buy it. BTCC is on the up I'll admit, but it still falls short of the times when BTCC was a crashing series where a race might accidentally happen.

I hope it's focussed on the current-era. The legacy simply holds the series back at times like an iron lung.

Also, unpopular opinion, but no to classics. BTCC doesn't need it, the fields is big and strong, there's plenty of support series that can be made if needed. Classics will just take away focus from the core experience and take time away in development which could affect the overall experience. At most, a couple of actually legendary cars but none of this whole season stuff.

I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. I thought you left out "DTM Race Driver", but I didn't know that the series was published under that name in Germany only. I had the second one and actually enjoyed it at the time. It had a "simulation mode" which made the driving model quite ok with my "Guillemot force feedback racing wheel" (renamed to Thrustmaster shortly after I bought it in 2001). The pseudo cockpit cam was also ok for me, this was shortly before the first GTR game after all.
I think now I have to try if I can find the DVD for some retro gaming fun.

Bit late here guys, I mean Neal's comments were in March. Gow apparently did say in an interview this week it was happening and closer to a 2021 release.
I also only found out about it this week through a search after a PCARS forum post which lead me to that Reddit post. I'm surprised it hadn't been covered either as it was late March.

Back