Bryan's Back! (First Thoughts on GT4 Physics and Drifting)

• Thread starter Bryan C.
  • 26 comments
StephenR9000
I dont know how many of you remember me from GT3 drifting, but I promised to be back with the advent of GT4 as soon as I could get it, and I just happened to have the money 2 days after it came out here locally. I picked up my copy at Game Exchange for 54.87 with tax. This game is so good its the first game I have EVER bought at full price.

First of all, I would like to touch on the subject of physics. Ever since prolouge and concept came out, there has been alot of controversy over whether or not the new physics were an "improvement" on the old ones or not. Well straight from the horses mouth.... ".....This is the first major change we have made to the physics of GT since GT1." - and let me assure you, they ARE improvements. The new physics are incredible, the car bounces over every little bump in the road, the effects of lift and sink (when cresting and bottoming out a hill) are VASTLY improved and are alot of fun now, the way the car reacts to the road is almost perfect, and the way steering actually effects the amount that you are able to accelerate is absolutely genius. GT3 was alot of fun for drifting, but it was by NO means "realistic". The new assortment of tires and the way they react in GT4, along with the new physics, was key in creating a realistic driving experience for us.

As far as drifting goes in GT4, it is ALOT harder, admitedly, however, it IS more realistic. I used to take my little AE86 out and drift when the pavement was wet and on dirt, which isnt dry pavement, but I can tell you the physics are ALOT alike. As far as settings, take a car out, and mess with the settings until they are like you want them. If you cant figure out the settings, read the GT4 descriptions that scroll across the bottom of the page, it tells you in detail what the settings goes to, and how it effects the way the car handles. If that's still not enough, go research some actual drift settings for real cars, GT4 (Even GT3) is real enough to take most of these principles and apply them in a virtual world.

As for me, I gotta get back to drifting. I dont have a vid capture card or a digital camera anymore, so I wont be posting any vids for a while, but as soon as I can get some good hardware in here I'll try making some vids for you guys. I am in school for A+ certification right now, so hopefully I'll be getting some $$$ soon.

Keep it sideways guys ;)

J.J.Snake
"Keep it sideways guys ;) " ..... Why not add "👍 Mentos, the freshmaker!! ... :rolleyes:

why not add "J.J.Snake, the rookie moron!!!"? I dunno, it just struck me right ;) besides, sideways is the way to be 👍

been gettin my trueno sideways in GT4, I about got it the way I want, just need to mess with the LSD a bit more to get the back end out easier during braking, and I'll be posting up some settings for every1 else who is too lazy to make their own :P

Bryan C.
why not add "J.J.Snake, the rookie moron!!!"? I dunno, it just struck me right ;) besides, sideways is the way to be 👍

been gettin my trueno sideways in GT4, I about got it the way I want, just need to mess with the LSD a bit more to get the back end out easier during braking, and I'll be posting up some settings for every1 else who is too lazy to make their own :P

ah, 1 day back and already noob bashing. That's the way to do it. :sly:

glad to see you back Bryan C. The more old faces we can get back in here the better, gotta keep this place clean.

BTW, your analysis of drifting in GT4 matches stroke for stroke with what myself, BreakerOhio, Swift, and others have been saying all week. It's good to know that we're all on more or less the same page when it comes to that.
👍

oh no~
guess who's back~
it'sssss bryan C!!!!

welcome back dude. hopefully you will write another gt4 drift guide? haha

errrrr, me? a GT4 drift guide? mmmmmmmaaaaaaaayyyyyyyybbbbbbeeeee........ defintely going to write a drift settings guide, including an in-depth portion on LSD tuning, as it seems alot of people struggle with this mostly.

I agree 100% w/ your first post, i dont know if i can go back and play GT3 now, it just wont feel right.

Bryan C.
errrrr, me? a GT4 drift guide? mmmmmmmaaaaaaaayyyyyyyybbbbbbeeeee........ defintely going to write a drift settings guide, including an in-depth portion on LSD tuning, as it seems alot of people struggle with this mostly.

lol. good enough 👍

yupperz. you can totally change a car's attributes by just changing the gear ratios, LSD, and breaking. I was lazy and didnt bother tinkering with the parts for my trueno. but i juse made some changes to the LSD and gearing and cut 4 full seconds off my time on tsukuba :crazy:

Uh.. drift tuning is more tricky since the tires have way way more grip and understeer is much more prevelant than in gt4.

In regards to the rear grip, I've noticed that it's fairly easy to get the back out by transferring weight from side to side, atleast on the only car I tried, the D1GP FC

Don't think I new ya before Bryan, but everyone else respectable around here seems to know ya, so I'm gonna say high :)

Also good to have another person that is willing to accept that GT4 has better modeling of tires and physics than GT3. Too many people are complaining about all to realistic understeer...

? gt4 is somewhat realistic, but some of the cars break traction in real life much easier than they do in the game. :)

Bryan, Excellent to see you again. Glad you made a return. As TankSpanker said earlier, the first post in Bryan's message incompasses the general theme that that veterans have been saying for this past week of the NA release. Anyone getting started in drifting and read that, should read it again!

Gabkicks, I don't doubt that you're right. But I like this physics engine so much better then GT3.

well first of all, lets take this into perspective, this game is top-rate, and anyone that has compared it to real life has as much admitted it. Take a step back and think about it, you are comparing a GAME, to REAL LIFE! 5 years ago we were all playing NFS, and loving the shoddy physics and crappy graphics on our little pentium 1's. So to take things perspectively, lets try and see the forest through the tree's here.

2nd, what makes or breaks a good physics engine is tire data. This is one of the HARDEST things to come by, because tire companies dont wanna hand it over. A car in general will break traction at a certain point as a certain number of G's is applied to it by the cars momentum. So lets say you have yokohama sports on your car, but that car in the game has this "concept" tire data. Well it's going to be totally different. Remember, tires have ALOT to do on how a car handles, especially when it comes to loosing grip. All the connection your car has with the road comes from the tires. The people over at sony have done ean AWESOME job creating tire data from scratch, and done an even better job integrating it into their physics engine. So taking into account that they are totally treading on the unknown, and can still make it come even REMOTELY close, not to mention how close they actually got it, is quite a feat, let me assure you.

So while a few gear ratio's may be off, and a car may not grip right, all in all, sony did an A+ job on this game, proof by the fact that we are critiquing it from REAL LIFE experiences! How many other games can say "hey, we almost match up to the real thing!"? Not many. So just enjoy it ;) at least until GT5 comes out on PS3 next year :)

Bryan C.
well first of all, lets take this into perspective, this game is top-rate, and anyone that has compared it to real life has as much admitted it. Take a step back and think about it, you are comparing a GAME, to REAL LIFE! 5 years ago we were all playing NFS, and loving the shoddy physics and crappy graphics on our little pentium 1's. So to take things perspectively, lets try and see the forest through the tree's here.

2nd, what makes or breaks a good physics engine is tire data. This is one of the HARDEST things to come by, because tire companies dont wanna hand it over. A car in general will break traction at a certain point as a certain number of G's is applied to it by the cars momentum. So lets say you have yokohama sports on your car, but that car in the game has this "concept" tire data. Well it's going to be totally different. Remember, tires have ALOT to do on how a car handles, especially when it comes to loosing grip. All the connection your car has with the road comes from the tires. The people over at sony have done ean AWESOME job creating tire data from scratch, and done an even better job integrating it into their physics engine. So taking into account that they are totally treading on the unknown, and can still make it come even REMOTELY close, not to mention how close they actually got it, is quite a feat, let me assure you.

So while a few gear ratio's may be off, and a car may not grip right, all in all, sony did an A+ job on this game, proof by the fact that we are critiquing it from REAL LIFE experiences! How many other games can say "hey, we almost match up to the real thing!"? Not many. So just enjoy it ;) at least until GT5 comes out on PS3 next year :)

I agree on everything! Except that GT5 will almost certainly not be out till 2007 :sly:

wishful thinking? GT3 was sony's lead-out game for the US PS2, just kinda hoping it'll be the same for PS3, they say PS3 will be out next year? I doubt it, they dont even know what its gonna look like or have defined or definite specs for it yet, its gonna be at LEAST 2007 :(

I remember people wining about the physics in GT1, THEY WILL ALWAYS COMPLAIN, BECAUSE THEY SUCK!!!!

every year its something else to ***** about (I'll be a die hard till I die, I've killed EVERY GT and have been into it since DAY one, my first PS was a GT PS kit.)

Back