MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
It's not shaping up to look great from what I can see of it.

I have the feeling when it's revealed it will look a bit of a dog's dinner. When manufacturers do something 'new' they tend to not quite get it right. It's usually a case of current design language on a shape that it doesn't really suit. Second time around their (Corvettes) design language will be developed with a mid-engined shape in mind instead of looking like a C7 stretched over 360 Modena.

I know everyone frowns on hear-say. Especially on this site. So take this with a grain of salt if you want. I'm not one who would try and bull:censored: something like this.

At work today just before my shift ended I did an oil change on what turned out to be a GM employees car who works at the Tonawanda engine plant in Buffalo. In discussion it turns out her father in law, husband and herself have worked that for many years, her, 17, her husband 19. In conversation, this is what came up.

This plant specifically built truck motors, Cadillac engines and engines dedicated to the Corvette. In her words, she said to me, that the plant was to be getting a new engine line, and they are retooling the plant now, and positions will be opening for hire. She went into details with that on me, then we gor back into what kind of new engine this would be. She said specifically that it would be a turbo engine similar to to how they turboed the Cruze, made for Cadillacs (specifically the CTS-V) and the Corvette, and that it was a V8, and that it should appear sometime soon. Couldn't et anymore out of her. I questioned where this information was sourced, and she specifically said "directly from GM". This lady was in her late 40s and very nice, and I would highly doubt she would lie, especially after disclosing details and a job offer.

I asked about the possibility of a mid engined Corvette to which she replied "I don't really know much about that" but facial expressions seemed to tell another story.

So take it how it is. How I heard it directly from a GM employee today. I have no reason to BS this so its up to you weather or not you believe it.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25325/...v-8-in-top-trim-drop-manual-completely-report

Called that 2 years ago.

dRMxtiW.jpg

Profile looks good until the air intake. Everything after the air intake looks really odd. Maybe Corvette placed the air intake too far forward? The rear end looks even weirder, so far (= camo).

I have a hard time believing most things Car & Driver writes. Especially since in May they said we were getting a Dodge Viper reboot and then like a week later Sergio Marchionne said "nope" when directly asked about it. I also like how they never name a source, which makes me think the dude sweeping the floor at GM sends them a "tip" and they run with it.

I also still have a hard time believing this mid-engine car from GM will be the C8 Corvette. I still think it'll merely be branded as a Corvette and they will still release a front engine, RWD car for old guys to drive to the golf course.

I have a hard time believing most things Car & Driver writes. Especially since in May they said we were getting a Dodge Viper reboot and then like a week later Sergio Marchionne said "nope" when directly asked about it. I also like how they never name a source, which makes me think the dude sweeping the floor at GM sends them a "tip" and they run with it.

I also still have a hard time believing this mid-engine car from GM will be the C8 Corvette. I still think it'll merely be branded as a Corvette and they will still release a front engine, RWD car for old guys to drive to the golf course.

I also think that it won't be the C8. The 'Vette for Chevy is like the Miata for Mazda in that the recipe is so intrinsic to the product and so monumentally successful and important to the company, that messing with it is just too dangerous. Especially knowing the perennially risk-averse General Motors. Even just abandoning the coke-bottle shape itself, nevermind the potential issues of practicality, would probably be a dealbreaker for many long-term Corvette enthusiasts. But who knows.

Also...DOHC, flat-plane, twin turbo, hybrid, 8-speed automatic, awd Corvette. Yeah, that's a 4200lbs car. :lol:

The design language screams Chevrolet to me rather than Cadillac, but I could see this being the next Z06/ZR1 with a base or Stingray model keeping the C7's layout.

Until more design details came out, I was fairly convinced it was going to be a Cadillac halo car. But it certainly looks like it has Corvette details. Namely the rear windscreen, front lip, headlights/tails, and the wheels...all very Corvette-like. Also, if it was a Cadillac, why have we been seeing concept cars from them like the Elmiraj, Escala, and Ciel, rather than stuff like the Cien. I just don't think it would fit into Cadillac's contemporary portfolio. If it were 1999 it would have been a different story.

Maybe it won't be a Corvette though. Could it be simply a Chevrolet Zora? The tie-in to the Corvette nameplate might be too strong to not use, but differentiating it might be a way to hedge their bet if it isn't a success for the company. Again, who knows. It's fun to speculate though.

Last edited:
Cadillac badge? Anyone? Anyone? Fryyyyee?

Yeah the GM brand that is actually killing all its cars outside of China, will badge a mid engine supercar...

I don't see why it's so hard for people to accept that GM is potentially moving with the flow of the market place rather than catering to a dying group of baby boomers. Also Cadillac seems to have difficulty selling supercars when they're given the chance. As for the C8 naming I don't see why they can't have a C8 platform and a front and mid engine variant as has been long suggested, with both being C8 gen. The C# tagging is a generational thing to signify a certain Corvette, not some linear platform.

The interior AND exterior looks like a car from GTA5... its might sort of crib some cues from Corvettes like the 4 round tail lights (or that Camaro abomination) but it looks like the FR is over.

Back