MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
None of the images work.
Here they are:

IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG

Can't kill leaks with C&D orders, Chevy!

You'd think they'd learn that by now after the C7 3d pics were leaked.

Think at this point its somewhat useless given someone at anytime can just slip through and pluck whatever they want. That or GM is just terrible at keeping secrets.

You'd think they'd learn that by now after the C7 3d pics were leaked.

Think at this point its somewhat useless given someone at anytime can just slip through and pluck whatever they want. That or GM is just terrible at keeping secrets.
Or maybe it was an intentional leak from inside Chevy.

Or maybe it was an intentional leak from inside Chevy.

In this day and age, I'm willing to believe this point. Besides, with something as radical as an MR Vette, you know that Chevy is going to trumpet that from the top of the Grand Canyon.

In this day and age, I'm willing to believe this point. Besides, with something as radical as an MR Vette, you know that Chevy is going to trumpet that from the top of the Grand Canyon.

Considering that whoever allegedly leaked the pics appears to have had access to full cad drawings and yet only leaked what could be described as "teaser" images makes the think this was an intentional marketing directive.

Considering that whoever allegedly leaked the pics appears to have had access to full cad drawings and yet only leaked what could be described as "teaser" images makes the think this was an intentional marketing directive.
I agree with the idea all these C8 leaks are direct from GM. Even spy photos are only in batches. If they were really at a McDonald's (that had only GM cars and another ME camo'd in the background of one pic) you would most likely have photos from their transit to or from it.

Do you guys think the C8 will be at the Detroit Auto Show or would it be too soon?
You might not see it there so the ZR1 can take the spotlight, but you will see official photos of it immediately after the show if it's not there physically.

I agree with the idea all these C8 leaks are direct from GM. Even spy photos are only in batches. If they were really at a McDonald's (that had only GM cars and another ME camo'd in the background of one pic) you would most likely have photos from their transit to or from it.

You might not see it there so the ZR1 can take the spotlight, but you will see official photos of it immediately after the show if it's not there physically.

ZR1 already got its spotlight release.

You wouldn't necessarily have transit shots. I had some shots of the C7 in camo when it was first being built, cause I lived near one of the GM proving grounds. I just got lucky that they decided to go to a McDs in that town as well. Guess GM employees get a massive discount there or something.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see them so low down, like something you'd see old school tuner do to old V8s. Rather than higher up or between the V like various manufactures now days.
A hot vee is probably too much of a leap for GM to make. MR is already a considerable jump--one that may alienate some of the more "typical" Corvette buyers--and this gives me cause to suspect a Corvette in that configuration will be a top-tier product in the realm of a Z06 or ZR1 rather than making up the entirety of the line. Then again, the absence of a hot vee, as that offers significant advantages, may bring it down a few pegs and therefore justify it being the new normal.

A hot vee is probably too much of a leap for GM to make. MR is already a considerable jump--one that may alienate some of the more "typical" Corvette buyers--and this gives me cause to suspect a Corvette in that configuration will be a top-tier product in the realm of a Z06 or ZR1 rather than making up the entirety of the line. Then again, the absence of a hot vee, as that offers significant advantages, may bring it down a few pegs and therefore justify it being the new normal.

Considering various technology they've jumped on already that others on the higher end were doing at the same time, I wouldn't say it's a leap. I'd think that perhaps they think there method is better for whatever plumbing plans they have. If this is the route that ultimately ends up being taken, any one can make a zip of cad files for build and testing...

We already know it will be the supposed top tier, because that is what GM has been telling the public as seen on here and if remains, in the C7 thread. That a Front Engine vette will be available for the normal consumer or Vette fanatic, and this top tier will be more of a halo type version of the Vette. Also it should be noted that the last time they wanted to go twin turbo was back in 07/08 when they were testing the C6 ZR1 and had various issues. Maybe the way they have the direct injection set up messes with housing them in the V, or perhaps it's too narrow. Or as prior said plumbing. I'm sure we'll know soon enough once revealed.

Those turbos are massive. This thing is probably going to rip 1000 horses in race/quali trim. Should be an endurance monster kept toned down.

I did mention a turbo engine was coming to the Vette about a year or so ago when they started tooling the Tonawanda NY engine plant.

Hagerty (the classic car insurance company) leaks info about the mid engine Corvette from a source called "GM Deep Throat"

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/12/mid-engine-corvette-coming

corvette_mr_frontquarter_dynamic_v1.ashx

We expect the mid-engine Vette to bow with a successor to today’s 6.2-liter LT1 pumped up to 600 horsepower with higher compression, more aggressive valve timing, and less restrictive exhaust. Dry-sump lubrication will facilitate mounting the engine low in the chassis. Other propulsion sources will follow, topping out at 1000-plus hybrid horsepower, with a twin-turbo V-8 driving the rear wheels and an electric motor powering the front wheels. The four-cam, 32-valve V-8 is a fantasy prompted by the LT5 designation assigned to the 2019 755-hp supercharged pushrod ZR1. GM power mongers have acknowledged interest in offering a flat-plane crankshaft V-8 mimicking the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350’s but without the frightful shake.

a state-of-the-art paddle-shifted seven-speed dual-clutch automatic supplied by Tremec will be the way and the truth. Packing the transmission and differential in one box bolted to the engine saves weight and shortens the wheelbase by an estimated eight inches, in turn trimming the turning circle, quickening steering response, and sharpening agility.

The C8 will showcase light materials. The hydroformed aluminum space frame will be assembled by automated tooling installed at the Bowling Green plant for the C7. Die-cast magnesium will reinforce the dash. Cast and forged aluminum components will be used for many chassis and powertrain components. As in today’s Vettes, the bodywork will be a shrewd mix of carbon fiber, sheet molding compound (fiberglass), and reinforced reaction-injection-molded plastic. Supplier Plasan Carbon Composites invented a means of constructing full door assemblies using its fast-acting pressure press process. The fuel tank and the coolant lines will reside in a central tunnel.

Following its debut at the 2019 Detroit show, the eighth-gen Corvette will roll into dealerships later in the year with a base price of $70,000.

I still think this is going to be a bold move to go entirely mid-engine on a model that shares much of the same linear following the 911 has; affordable front-engine, rwd V8 Coupe. I can't see the purists being all too thrilled about it. A $15,000 price increase as well is still going to be the same amount as a C5 MSRP ($40K '98) to a C7 MSRP ($55K as of now) over 20 years.

The idea to sell the C8 alongside the C7 for a couple years sounds a bit asinine as well. $70,000 for a 600Hp MR "base" or $80,000 for a 650Hp Z06.

2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642967_h.jpg

2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642969_h.jpg

2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100642973_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096198_2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-spy-shots

Looking at the new shots, we see can see that the C8 will be similar in size to the C7 but with a lower, wider stance. It won't get vertical-lifting doors of many exotics, though it looks like there will be a short front overhang. Flanking the engine bay looks to be a pair of chunky buttresses and we’re told designers will add a sheet of glass in the center to show off the car’s engine. One of the biggest challenges is thought to be heat management. finally, we can also see a rear-facing camera that will feed images to a digital rearview mirror.

Latest Posts

Back