Calendar-based events.

United States
Los Angeles, CA
WRBWRXMAX
Max Archer
It has been occurring to me lately that the current tournament and race systems don't make sense. There's rarely a case in which a driver and team only do one single series nonstop, especially without changes to the car and such. I think the races in GT5 should be based on calendar dates, like they are in real life, and that, possibly, for foreign races, there would be a time around the race that was taken up by travel. Additionally, with series like JGTC and F1, races should be of realistic length, sort of Mini-endurance races. This wouldn't be too bad, as there would be game "weeks" between races, and many shorter events. Of course, this might not apply with the low-level cups, as those, in the real world, would be short weekend affairs, and could happen at any time. But for the major races, what do you think?

Good idea, It would be nice to see cars with a driver that has a name, a real name.

I'd like to see a GT5 that include every style of racing and driving, I mean, you have the JGTC championship for example, you have that competition with X number of cars, different names, to create a real feel of a race.

this reminds me of toca touring cars. i think, i cant remember which one tho, the 3rd probably, but yea, a calender feature would be better, as you usually have a week or a few days between races

I posted something like this in the Little things you'd like to see in GT5 thread but I added time, so you consume time when you go to a dealer or change the oil.
Using a calendar would increase the replay value of the game since you have to wait for the right day of the race.
👍

i think that would work well.

Endurance is a big word, i wouldnt say mini endurance but grand prix fits the bill much better.

Sprint races: 3-20 laps
Feature races: 20-50 laps
Grand Prix: 50-90 laps
Endurance: 100 laps+ or 3-4 hours+

I hate the endurance races in GT's past and present, simply no challenge to them, no real atmosphere either with only 6 cars. If GT5 or GT4.5 or VGT whatever the next one will be has 22 car grids and good AI then I wouldn't mind them as much.

Takumi Fujiwara
...for foreign races, there would be a time around the race that was taken up by travel....
Does this mean that you think we should get to choose a base country? that would be sweet. Have your own currency and have to pay for import and things like that.
This would make the game very realistic

no. that would make the game ridiculous.

no one wants to deal with currency in real
life and no one wants to deal with currency
in a video game.

i like the calender idea. i think bigger races
should be annual or on a regular schedule.
and in between those larger races (F1, jgtc,
dtm series'), they could have the smaller cups
and whatnot.

and for ****s, just have family cups for whenever
so you dont have to sit there and do nothing
between race periods.

Takumi, you have an extremely valid point. Like, when I played NCAA Football and NCAA March Madness games, you usually have some time off before a game. I don't think I would see the North Carolina Tar Heels go through 30 games of college basketball... in 30 days. I don't think Formula One racers go through 16 races in 16 days. You know where I'm going with this? I think that if PD established a realistic-type calendar system, any given race weekend would be interesting to go racing. Imagine being able to race on a Sunday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, or Saturday Night.

Or in the sense of the GT World Championship, be able to still (and I hope PD implements this for Championship Series) have a car entered into a race series, then tune it up or whatever before getting ready for the next race days later. Maybe buy a car or so. I don't think you should have to be locked into a championship, forcing you complete it before you do anything outside of going anywhere doing anything. Think about it like this. If you're in a Championship and want to practice another track in the series (for example, a Championship has Apricot Hill (Normal), and you wanted to race it outside of the Championship), you should be able to race wherever you want to practice your car without having to complete the championship first. And if you want to do Arcade Mode for a bit, you should be able to without having to complete the championship first. Implementing a calendar means that after a race in a championship, you have a few days to enter some other races to make more money, buy parts to further modify your car, be able to practice elsewhere, and do almost anything outside of the championship. Then to re-access your Championship (granted you don't enter another championship), you simply either go to Home, or the exact Event Hall and race to load your championship progress.

Just a thought. Maybe more to come in future posts.

Along the lines of what JohnBM01 just said, being able to do smaller competitions between races in a championship would also force you to plan your schedule. Let's say you have six days between GT World Championship races. You could go do some of the spot race championships such as the Stars & Stripes, but you could have to make sure that you leave the day of the next race in the GT World Championship. Another aspect of having a calendar is having qualifying take up a whole day, depending on the size and profile of the race. For, say, the Clubman Cup, you could have qualification be in the morning, with the sun shining, and the race could be in the late evening, or even at night. Another way of showing progression of a day besides endurance races. And with races like the Formula GT or the DTM, qualification could take up a full day, considering we will most likely have 16-22 car fields for these races.

I think that they can't make it realistic enugh, it is a game after all, it is intended to be fun and a challenge, not a boring day of wheel shopping and such.

the bad thing about gt4,3 is that they emphisized on the challenge part but not the fun part, yes they are fun to play, until you lose that is, then lose, then lose hope of winning, especially those long races, but that was not the case in gt2, it had a ballance (IMO) between fun and challenge, and still feels like a game.

conclusion: obviously all people can not agree to one thing, so put different thing, difficulties i mean, differing in laps, prize mony and percentige prize but race (or championship ect.) prize cars should be same.

Calender events is a really good idea. i want to see all the real F1 tracks in GT5.
STCC, WTCC, Indy 500, Formula 3000, keep 'em coming!

Another nice feature a calendar system would provide is being able to attend special track events. Some of you may like this idea coming up, so read on.

Let's say that in your My Home menu, you will have an E-mail system implemented in the game. Now to be nice and fair, the E-mails will relate to people commenting on your race performance, giving you information to help you out in racing and tuning, and even invite you to race events. So, you're not going to get any mail about diet pills or anything (like what you get on satellite TV during most commercials). Imagine being able to be invited to a Mini Cooper race at Suzuka Circuit East Course (Normal or Reverse) on a certain day. When you're at home, you may have an option with something like "Internet," and be able to read your E-Mail getting E-Mails inviting you to a One-Make series race with CARS PROVIDED. So, if you don't have money to buy your own car, you can purchase a rental car to compete in the race. Or let's say that you're invited to a Ford Mustang race at Trial Mountain featuring Mustangs from 1964 to 2005. If you don't have a Mustang of your own, you can rent one for a fee, like let's say, 500 Credits. Also, you have a chance to accept or decline invitations. So on that certain day, you can have yourself some fun and make some money before the next championship race.

There is another special situation. What happens if a lot of racing happens at Grand Valley Speedway in one day? Pretend that three races will take place- let's say at 11:00 AM, the Tuning Car GP takes place; at 11:30 AM, a One-Make race with Dodge Vipers takes place, but at 12:00 Noon, the Gran Turismo World Championship races. How do you choose? In this situation, it would be nice to choose what race you want to run. If you want to borrow a car for the other two races (borrowing a Tuner Car? Damn... you have to be LUCKY!), you can. But if you want to race a One-Make race, then the main event, you can for more money.

Just giving out suggestions and situations...

I like that idea.

So would you also mean, that say when the game comes around June 6th, the game would notify you of the 24 Hours of Le Mans?

Exactly! Kind of like the calendar on the game Monster Rancher 2, it's a sucky game, I rented it but it's where I got that idea from. And It DOES notify you. ANother cool thing would be where the race you have to register for ahead of time, for instance, you select and register for it a month ahead of time on your calendar, but it will eventually fill up, so you cannot procrastinate and register last-minute.

Latest Posts

Back