Calling all Musicians, show off your compositions and covers here.Music 

• Thread starter Skython
  • 453 comments
Couple of Muse covers on my new Squier Contemporary Stratocaster guitar. Supermassive Black Hole and Psycho. Fair few mistakes across the 2 but mainly recorded these to show off the guitars tone. Enjoy.

Any older Genesis influence in there? Sounds great!
Thanks very much 👍

I am a huge fan of PG-era Genesis, though I've never considered my music to be consciously influenced by them, but it's a great compliment if you detect any similarities in there! I only recently discovered some of Anthony Phillips' early/solo material, and didn't know for example that 'The Musical Box' is basically one of his compositions, expanded on by the band.

Just discovered this thread, I've got a bunch of stuff to post in here, but I'll start with the least abrasive one :lol: I made my own 90s boom-bap style beats using a lot of rock, punk and metal samples along with the usual funk & soul style loops. Threw some classic verses over the top to spice it up.

Went the classical techno route this time, quite enjoyed making this one. Finally starting to do some numbers on my account. :)

Last edited:
What, nobody writing music anymore? C'mon folks, can't be the only one keeping this thread going!
I don't write any music anymore, but was planning on uploading some older stuff I wrote on MTV Music Generator 2 way back in 2002/2003 just for fun. However, like most things in life, I don't end up getting round to it.

You are really getting quite good, especially at beats; your rhythm patterns are sounding very professional. Dreams is a great track, I liked it a lot. Keep up the good work!

👍

Thanks very much 👍

I am a huge fan of PG-era Genesis, though I've never considered my music to be consciously influenced by them, but it's a great compliment if you detect any similarities in there! I only recently discovered some of Anthony Phillips' early/solo material, and didn't know for example that 'The Musical Box' is basically one of his compositions, expanded on by the band.
Yeah, the PG era had to be the best. Nothing wrong at all with the PC era but that earlier stuff was special, pure art. Keep doing what you're doing.

An original rock song I've been working on, and gonna introduce it to the band at this sunday's rehearsal.

I know the sound quality sucks ass, but I hope you find the ideas suck less! 😁

Last edited:
VBR
@AlexDB9 - Absolutely brilliant rhythm and riffing there mate, had to listen to that several times as it's really good IMO. From now on you shall be known as Mr Guitar!

Here's a 2016 remix of a track I done with a couple of pals back in the 00's. I'm playing the bass & rhythm guitars...

Thanks and your song is mean man!!!

VBR
That's why I can appreciate the progress that you've made in that regard, it is somewhat of a black art in many repects, and one you seem to be mastering.
My tips for anyone that cares:

1. Practice makes perfect, so make some tracks, then make some more, then make some more. E.g. when you start cooking it takes time and a lot of hours to become a Michelin star chef (not that I am anywhere near that level of music production). You don't start a racing career in F1. ;)
2. Make tracks from start to finish. Don't dwell on individual phases too long. If you notice going in circles (e.g. a track no longer improving but sounding different instead), you've reached the peak of what you can. Doesn't mean it's great, but it's the best you can do. Wrap up and move on.
3. Courses and theory matter. If you're on a plateau in terms of quality, analyse your weakest point and follow a course, buy a book or whatever. Musical theory, mixing, mastering, whatever. There's plenty available for free and cheap.
4. Collaborate. I've worked with fellow musicians waaayy better and waayyy ahead of myself. It rubs off.
5. Keep things simple. If concepts don't work in 2-3 hours, toss them out and try something else. Same for sounds that work or not.
6. Source material is extremely important. You can cut from a sound but adding to it is limited. So pick the best you can. A crappy sound can never be made into an amazing one. The reverse is a different matter, so be sure to pick whatever is closest to where you want it to be.
7. Use a reference track! Your ears will fool you over time, a ref track keeps you grounded and gives you something to aim for. I used 'Hero' by David Guetta and Afrojack on my latest. Is my track anywhere near that? No, because I'm not David Guetta and his army of producers and sound engineers. Did it help push my quality up? Hell yeah!

There's probably more, but this is from the top of my head.

I tried my luck at making a song in FL Studio. Previously, I have been using LMMS a lot. I even tried to learn Cakewalk by Bandlab. I decided to utilize my Soundcloud and showcase my first completed song in FL Studio. It is a re-make of a song I first worked on in 2013 in Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS), and then made a new version in 2016 with the same program. Now, I use FL Studio [Fruity Edition] to produce this song. FL Studio seemed less cumbersome to make music with. I also felt like I had a host of generators for which to produce sounds with. If/When I get to upgrade to Producer Edition, I will use some of the more premium/paid instruments and even import sound samples. I kept revising the song a bit to something I was finally happy with. The end result? Here:

[OMISSION] This is my posting debut on Soundcloud!

Last edited:
I'm still alive! Been a long time. I'm eagerly anticipating GT7 and otherwise just riding out this current stage in the world/my life. But, I was finally able to put out another arrangement today.

@NLxAROSA - What MDI interface/s do you use? I ask because today I stumbled upon the Seaboard, and am totally blown away by it. Never even knew it existed until now. Wow!

Last edited:
Back