Calling all sound recorders!!

• Thread starter MazKid
  • 21 comments

MazKid

Powered by 2 BP-ZE Mazdas
Staff Emeritus
I need your help. If someone would be so nice as to go into GTC or GT3 and record the RX-8 engine sound.

I'm making a RX-8 for a beta PC game and I need the authentic sound.

If you can, please record it at high RPM(6K-9K preferably) and constent tone(constent RPM) while flat out(I'm guessing you can do this in several different ways...like doing a burnout against a wall(since the skid sound doesn't play) with gearing so that it stays at a level RPM, or you could try to hold the pressure sensitive button at a constent RPM, though I prefer the first because it makes the engine sound louder than just holding it).
One you get the sound, I only need like 1 sec to 3 secs of pure sound, in .wav format please. Please don't have ambient sound like skidding or even backround sounds. The higher the quality the better. Also please say the RPM that's recorded, so if you are recording it at 8,500RPM please tell me that it's 8,500RPM and not 6KRPM.

Thanks a ton.

If you want to see a pic of it, I'll post one. It's incredibly realistic. I didn't do the body or texture, I'm just working on the car specs and sounds and stuff.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Then why the hell would you post here?

No wonder I never go into the GT forums anymore...

I slept on the sofa, you can only get up one way.

Sorry for not wanting my thread to become a lot of irrellevant posts, but it's too late it seems...

Is this for personal use? I believe that the sounds on GT3 and GTC are copyright material which would make using 'their' recorded sound illegal. Doesn't your dad work/own/manage have access to a RX-8 where you could record the engine sound to a DAT for clean and accurate digital transfer for your game?

It's not my game. It's a public and free game. It's not for my personal use, but it's not going to cost anyone anything.

And while my dad has simi-access to the RX-8(not yet...I don't think they have one up there yet), I have no means to which record the sound, and it'll be very hard to explain revving the RX-8 to high RPM. Why go through the trouble and do that, when you could just record it from GT. Copyrights or not, I'm not paying for or selling this material.

Right on...., do you have a sound card on your Computer? More than likely, there's a mic/line level input that you could adapt the RCA output of your PS2 to a 1/8" jack to plug into your computer, from there you hit record (using your computer's wave editor) and play some GT3/C to record the sound. I gave my copy to my bro for his B-Day otherwise I would be glad to do it for you.

:cheers:

Alright alright. Only problem is my PS2 is about 15 ft from my PC, and in a different room. I could take it down(it's on a shelf at the head of my bunk bed) and hook it up to a little TV and try to do it though...I'll have to check the back of my Dell to see if everything's there...then all that's left is holding it at a constent RPM...

There ya go! What would help with holding it at a constant RPM would be to set the Transmission to as 'long' as possible and hit the speed test track. ;)

Good Luck!

Yea, that or doing a burnout against the wall...I'll have to check it out.

Now I run my PS2 with S-video...I know the audio things are the same though. The only problem is that a portable TV here would only have the coaxiel thing, so I guess I'd have to get to the driving part, then connect it to the PC, and...ehh...it won't work cause I can't see the RPM. Damnit!

15 feet away? Your PS2 cable is 5ft. Just get a 15-20 foot cable to extend your audio cables from the PS2 to your computer. Radio shack/Wal-Mart/K-Mart/ect... has them for $5.

Or you could relocate your computer for the sake of the recording....

Well I have a 1996 Compaq Presario under my bed, all set up. I don't know if I can hook it up to that and record it. The Dell is connected to the net, the Presario isn't, not that it matters. The "mic in" port is the thingy with the microphone thingy right? I'll have to see if the Presario has that, and if it works.

yep, that's correct. You'd be better using the "Line" input if it has it, and it should be labled "Line" usually with a arrow pointing towards the hole to signafy an 'input'. But either will work.

I found an RX-8 sound bite from Mazda Australia, so I will edit the sound and get it working once I get the car again(I had a hard drive failure several weeks ago).

I still would like the RX-7 sounds, from the Infini. If you can do it, great, if you can't, ohh well, it doesn't really matter right now.

Back