Can’t drift anymore?

United States
New York City (Brooklyn)
LPMNK123WASUP
Hey y’all. I don’t know if it’s just me, but ever since the update where the cars seemed to have a general increase in understeer, I’ve been finding it very very difficult to drift smoothly. Even with massive changes in setups.

It’s like many RWD cars simply refuse to hold angle or a slide. For example on the banked Northern Isle Speedway, I used to easily control the slide with tons of angle throughout the entire corners.

Now the cars seem too stiff and too tight (obviously understeer), and 9/10 times will not hold the slide through the corner as I counter steer. It’s either I go off the track or I snap it back into a straight line. Even with a purpose built car like the Formula Drift BRZ, it cannot hold a slide.

Have tried this on other tracks with similar results. Anyone else experiencing the same things or perhaps is it just my technique that needs work? Mind you, I only use comfort hard tires as well.

Last edited:
I only use comfort hards, so no that’s not the issue.
Do you max out decel on the lsd? if not consider doing that as it helps staying sideways when you lift.
I ran only once on Northern Isle Speedway, it was hard keeping the car sideways and I really had to tune for it.. maybe the active rear on that SLR was also not helping.

that was 2 weeks ago just before last update and you can see the struggle to try and stay high on the track and sideways.. never anticipated it would be so hard.

Another thing if you have difficulty staying sideways on handbrake, raise initial on the lsd by 10 and try again.

Do you max out decel on the lsd? if not consider doing that as it helps staying sideways when you lift.
I ran only once on Northern Isle Speedway, it was hard keeping the car sideways and I really had to tune for it.. maybe the active rear on that SLR was also not helping.

that was 2 weeks ago just before last update and you can see the struggle to try and stay high on the track and sideways.. never anticipated it would be so hard.

Another thing if you have difficulty staying sideways on handbrake, raise initial on the lsd by 10 and try again.

Cool video

You must tune your setup, especially the LSD. I recommend using CM tires.
why CM? CH allows smoother loss of grip and regain of traction.
Guys would you like to join the little events we're having in the drifting forums? Please have a look.

why CM? CH allows smoother loss of grip and regain of traction.
Guys would you like to join the little events we're having in the drifting forums? Please have a look.
That’s true but CH feel too “ungrippy”. CM feel more realistic to me. You have to go really slow with CH.

I mean, anyone who has actually tried drifting on a proper banked corner will tell you that it's not as easy as GTS made it...

since update 1.39 drifting isn´t so smooth like on 1.38. i spend countless hours to try new setups on the car AND FFB on the G29.
sometimes it´s enough to adjust FFB instead of making a complete new setup on the car

I think it's pretty easy with the ds4, but with a wheel it's more difficult. Specially going on the accelerator. When u go into the corner sliding it's okay, but when u step on the accelerator it's easy to spin out. Even if you're just going 10% u can feel the back end just want to give up on you.

I think it's pretty easy with the ds4, but with a wheel it's more difficult. Specially going on the accelerator. When u go into the corner sliding it's okay, but when u step on the accelerator it's easy to spin out. Even if you're just going 10% u can feel the back end just want to give up on you.
That sounds like you're talking about drifting on road tab.
In any case drifting is easier on the wheel. You cant countersteer as efficiently with the stick, so you have to mind your angle more. GT6 was much better for stick drift.
If you want to practice wheel drift check out my YouTube in my signature. I have a car that will help you.

That sounds like you're talking about drifting on road tab.
In any case drifting is easier on the wheel. You cant countersteer as efficiently with the stick, so you have to mind your angle more. GT6 was much better for stick drift.
If you want to practice wheel drift check out my YouTube in my signature. I have a car that will help you.
Yes, I'm on road tab. I have tried drift tab and on ds4 it's fine, but feels a bit wired on the wheel. And in general I think road tab feels more natural on both wheel and ds4. But hey, that's just me. I will check your channel out.

Yes, I'm on road tab. I have tried drift tab and on ds4 it's fine, but feels a bit wired on the wheel. And in general I think road tab feels more natural on both wheel and ds4. But hey, that's just me. I will check your channel out.
I stayed on road tab for almost a year before switching for good, I thought drift tab was bs, but I realized that there is no hidden assist/different physics. Its just front suspension and steering modifications, possibly different ECU settings too.
I still enjoy a little road tab drift once in a while, but if drifting is your main thing you should really give drift tab a serious run.
fwiw, my feeling on road tab is that there's even more of a gap in difficulty between wheel and ds4, drifting on ds4 road tab is just pain for me.

Latest Posts

Back